[0.90.0] Fine Print vSTOCK'D - BETA RELEASE!!! (December 15)

Arsonide

Does anybody else have problems with rover contracts and using mod wheels?

I don't think my issue had anything to do with mod wheels, but something was a little funky.

I had a 5-waypoint mission, and went through the first 4 without completing the contract. I quicksaved, because the last waypoint was down at the bottom of a crater and I was concerned with getting down there without crashing. So I exited the game, took a short break and later fired up the game to hit that last waypoint. When I loaded up the game and went to the rover, the waypoint had changed to a different location. It was now in the spot of one of the previous waypoints. So I turned around and went to it (of course the waypoints vanish after hitting them, but it wasn't hard to remember the locations from the map, so I was sure this final waypoint was now in the spot of one of the ones I had just gone through.

That ever happen to anyone else?

This seems to be more of a misunderstanding than a problem. The rover contract can actually complete without going to all of the waypoints. If it does this, the contract will turn green, but you won't see checkboxes on all of the objectives, and all of the waypoints will disappear. There is a text notification in the top left when this happens.

The rover mission isn't like the aerial mission, where you have to go to every single point. In the rover mission, there are a lot of points scattered in a small area, and all but one of them is a red herring. You have to find the correct point, so it's more like hide and seek. It looks like you might have just found the right point real quick. You get compensated for each waypoint you have to look through, so the longer the mission takes, the better, actually.

Ah ha! So I just had "beginners luck" when I ran my first rover waypoint mission, and happened to approach the "right" waypoint first. So in this type of mission, having the waypoints vanish is an indication that the "waypoint" part of the mission has been successfully completed.

Does anybody else have problems with rover contracts and using mod wheels?

Depends on the wheel you are using. Unpowered wheels will not count. I've heard that people using Firespitter wheels are having issues, even though I added support for Firespitter's FSWheel module. The rover wheel check looks for specific modules, not specific parts...meaning it should cover any mods that implement Wheels or FSWheels. I think I even added certain landing gears in there...but it has to be powered and touching the ground.

I had a 5-waypoint mission, and went through the first 4 without completing the contract. I quicksaved, because the last waypoint was down at the bottom of a crater and I was concerned with getting down there without crashing. So I exited the game, took a short break and later fired up the game to hit that last waypoint. When I loaded up the game and went to the rover, the waypoint had changed to a different location. It was now in the spot of one of the previous waypoints. So I turned around and went to it (of course the waypoints vanish after hitting them, but it wasn't hard to remember the locations from the map, so I was sure this final waypoint was now in the spot of one of the ones I had just gone through.

This is an odd issue, but the reproduction instructions seem pretty specific. I'll look at it after I finish with configuration and balancing.

Edited by Arsonide

ARM requires you to track a new asteroid yourself, when you track an asteroid, it will show an orbit.

Ahh OK! I just googled "how to track asteroids", so I've learned something new today, I'll go try that right now!

I am aware of an issue regarding equatorial orbits, but I cannot reproduce it myself, and I've been unable to acquire any save data or logs or detailed reports to help me reproduce it. When I am able to reproduce it, I can fix it, but so far I've come up empty handed, which makes me think that it might be a possible mod conflict.

Tell me, was the orbit perfectly circular and equatorial, or equatorial but elliptical?

It was elliptical. Is there anything I can do to help track the issue down? Logs or something? I can give you a list of the mods I have installed if that'd help.

I just spent a while redoing how base and station missions are handled internally. They are not longer subtypes of a "facility" contract template, but rather their own templates, which means I can make them more unique in the future, and more importantly, for now it means they can be configured independently of each other.

Now I just have to hook them up to the configurable values, which I have done for satellite contracts.

I ran into the same thing today trying to do an orbit contract. Here are some details:

http://imgur.com/WsRoPEB,pDda0Ry

After receiving some information, I looked up my LAN value in my persistence file and found this under my craft:

LAN = 334.947554037965

I'm guessing this might be the issue, since it doesn't match up with the requirements. Without mechjeb or other addons showing this info, is there any way to be able to do these contracts?

This is peculiar, but again, I don't really need to see your craft's data, I need to see the target orbit's data, which should also be in the persistence file, saved with the contract. Could you find that for me?

It was elliptical. Is there anything I can do to help track the issue down? Logs or something? I can give you a list of the mods I have installed if that'd help.

You too. Try and track the contract down in your persistence file, and I need to see everything saved with it.

Edited by Arsonide

You too. Try and track the contract down in your persistence file, and I need to see everything saved with it.

I'll have a hunt :) If I can't find it I'll see if I can replicate the problem, make a note of the contract details and dig out the relevant persistence file info for you.

Hi, got a bug report for you. Mission was "Chart these places on the Mun with a rover", had Alpha through to Epsilon sites to visit, all close together. Mission completed, or at least vanished from active contracts once I had visited only alpha and epsilson, and the waypoints vanished from the map screen. I also quit and restarted the game after visiting these two sites, when I re-entered the game the remaining objectives (Beta-delta) were gone, leaving me unable to get the total of 75 science these would have netted me. I've also had a similar bug with a similar rover mission on Minmus.

If you could let me know what other information you need to help track this bug down I'll provide.

Thanks

Ias

Hi, got a bug report for you. Mission was "Chart these places on the Mun with a rover", had Alpha through to Epsilon sites to visit, all close together. Mission completed, or at least vanished from active contracts once I had visited only alpha and epsilson, and the waypoints vanished from the map screen. I also quit and restarted the game after visiting these two sites, when I re-entered the game the remaining objectives (Beta-delta) were gone, leaving me unable to get the total of 75 science these would have netted me. I've also had a similar bug with a similar rover mission on Minmus.

If you could let me know what other information you need to help track this bug down I'll provide.

Thanks

Ias

This is intended behavior, not a bug. The mission throws a lot of points down, and you're looking for the correct one. You have a knack for finding the correct one early.

The waypoint rewards are balanced with the fact that you will not visit all of them in mind.

Save. File. Without getting my hands on these orbits, I can't diagnose them. Screenshots won't help very much. I need to run them through with debug text.

Never mind, when I restarted the game, the contract completed. not sure why. but here's my persistence file if you want to look: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sy5k8ejd8apiaoz/AABDbOW49MDS1nbXSmpFU565a?dl=0

Never mind, when I restarted the game, the contract completed. not sure why. but here's my persistence file if you want to look: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sy5k8ejd8apiaoz/AABDbOW49MDS1nbXSmpFU565a?dl=0

Thank you. Sorry it's just really crazy trying to hunt down bugs with something as complex as orbital mechanics. So many little things can be sliiightly off, and I'm trying to throw in configuration at the same time I'm hunting these, so my brain's somewhat fried.

Is this persistence file before or after it completed?

Thank you. Sorry it's just really crazy trying to hunt down bugs with something as complex as orbital mechanics. So many little things can be sliiightly off, and I'm trying to throw in configuration at the same time I'm hunting these, so my brain's somewhat fried.

Is this persistence file before or after it completed?

After it completed. I exited the game to make my first post then started it again to fiddle with it and it completed as soon as I loaded the probe.

The configuration has been fully integrated with all contract types, and I've already begun balancing things. It's really nice because (for testing only) I've set the configuration to load every few seconds, meaning I can tweak values and see the changes on the fly dynamically in game, without reloading. You'll be happy to notice that in general, I am raising the rewards for base and station missions, especially science, that's going way up. After I finish balancing to the best of my ability, I am going to go through a heavy refactoring period, and this is the period where I will address the bugs that you all have been experiencing. It will probably take some time, and I do appreciate your patience, but this patch should allow all of you to turn Fine Print into the perfect mod for you specifically, because you will be able to enable, disable, and tweak anything that you don't like.

This is intended behavior, not a bug. The mission throws a lot of points down, and you're looking for the correct one. You have a knack for finding the correct one early.

The waypoint rewards are balanced with the fact that you will not visit all of them in mind.

Ahhh, cool. Thanks.

Ias

How am I supposed to match the ascending node on an equatorial orbit? That seems a little hard to do.

Also please stop giving out contracts for tundra orbits around the sun, that's a really bad idea for a satellite position :D

You probably already addressed this in your development build, but I noticed a possible logic error in Util.cs:

maximumAltitude = Math.Max((float)minimumAltitude, (float)targetBody.sphereOfInfluence * (float)difficultyFactor);

This linear formula works okay for Kerbin. However, I think altitude usually has an inverse relationship to difficulty for orbits around other celestial bodies. I recognize you probably did this simple linear system because it's easier to implement. An ideal system would use the delta-v requirements for an orbit as the reward multiplier, possibly in one of two ways:

A) Store delta-v numbers someone's already calculated (like here) in a data collection.

B) Do the calculations dynamically in the mod, based on planetary data.

I'm unsure which approach would be simpler. In the short run, it might be easy to just use a switch-statement between three difficultyFactor scales, one for Kerbin, another for Kerbol, and a default one for all other celestial bodies.

I have a contract active to collect magnetometer scan from high kerbin orbit. Even though I have collected that scan at the right altitude, I was not at an orbit at the time. So now that I've exhausted the science gain from that altitude, it won't allow me to complete the contract. I tried to collect a magnetometer scan with 0 science point, but all I got was a message stating that I should look elsewhere to complete the contract^^

How am I supposed to match the ascending node on an equatorial orbit? That seems a little hard to do.

Also please stop giving out contracts for tundra orbits around the sun, that's a really bad idea for a satellite position :D

The ascending node check for equatorial orbits should be skipped.

RE: Sun Tundras, I disagree, but you should be able to tweak this in the next patch yourself.

I've reported the same issue for equatorial orbits. Arsonide needs a save game with this contract incorrectly checking the An so he can track down what is going on. I haven't had one pop up yet to provide it so if you still have that contract active it sending it would be a huge help since I haven't been able to yet. :)

I've reported the same issue for equatorial orbits. Arsonide needs a save game with this contract incorrectly checking the An so he can track down what is going on. I haven't had one pop up yet to provide it so if you still have that contract active it sending it would be a huge help since I haven't been able to yet. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y72z2khr809tslo/2.sfs?dl=0

In this save I have to put up a satellite in a keliostationary orbit with longitude of ascending node 299.7°.

But keliostationary means inclination is 0°, which means defining an ascending node is pointless.

I haven't actually tried if the contract completes, but it should not require a longitude of ascending node in the first place.

Edit: looking through the source code I guess it skips the check if the orbit inclination is less than 1°, but still issues the contract including the longitude of ascending node. So in theory it should just be a case of giving out unnecessary information, but the contract should be complete-able. I'll give it a test tomorrow.

Edited by Alvin853

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y72z2khr809tslo/2.sfs?dl=0

In this save I have to put up a satellite in a keliostationary orbit with longitude of ascending node 299.7°.

But keliostationary means inclination is 0°, which means defining an ascending node is pointless.

I haven't actually tried if the contract completes, but it should not require a longitude of ascending node in the first place.

Edit: looking through the source code I guess it skips the check if the orbit inclination is less than 1°, but still issues the contract including the longitude of ascending node. So in theory it should just be a case of giving out unnecessary information, but the contract should be complete-able. I'll give it a test tomorrow.

Right, it's just giving extra information, before I released I considered putting "Irrelevant" where the LAN is there. That check for 1 degree inclination is failing for some people, and the save games should help me figure out why.