[0.90.0] Fine Print vSTOCK'D - BETA RELEASE!!! (December 15)

Arsonide

I would like to see differentiation (for some contracts) for airplanes and rockets. For example, visiting some place or high-point.

One note. Crew-report contracts can be completed without information transmitting (or bringing report back to the KSC). I think it would be more logical if player must deliver contract's information somehow to home.

And one more thing. There are airplane-parts-testing contracts (to test Basic Jet Engine, to test Small Gear Bay, ..). If player hasn't Aerodynamics, it's impossible for him to complete the contract by regular airplane. As a result, player can only pass by rocket (to deliver Basic Jet Engine to some height at some speed).

I suppose it can be interesting to have airplane-contract (to test or smth else), which pushes player to use airplanes. For instance, the contracts provide Basic Jet Engine, Small Gear Bay, Mk1 Fuselage, XM-G50 Radial Air Intake, and force to use airplane.

Edited by Minx

And one more thing. There are airplane-parts-testing contracts (to test Basic Jet Engine, to test Small Gear Bay, ..). If player hasn't Aerodynamics, it's impossible for him to complete the contract by regular airplane. As a result, player can only pass by rocket (to deliver Basic Jet Engine to some height at some speed).

You could always, you know... not accept the contract...

Hi all, hoping someone can help me out here:

I'm playing a heavily modded .90 game and loving the variety of extra contracts different mods give me (e.g. Mission Controller, Station Science, Orbital Material Science etc) however I'm having a problem with the survey contracts from Fine Print, specifically the survey locations are all being generated around a different continent.

OMu9u9e.png

ZLR3VD9.png

This is annoying because it means a long flight over the ocean to reach any of them, and no exciting journeys to the poles or deserts.

One idea I thought of is that maybe whatever generates FinePrint contracts thinks the KSC is located there? Could Kerbinside, Remotetech, a texture mod, or something else have confused it in this way?

Here is a picture of my mod folder in case that helps diagnosis:

Q2yzBhn.jpg

It's a lot of mods that otherwise seem to play very nicely together, just this one minor irritation.

If no one knows how to fix it so the survey contracts spawn centered around the KSC then maybe you could tell me how to edit the contract .cfg file to make them spawn anywhere on Kerbin, rather than just close to this continent?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Could this please (pretty please) be added to CKAN, if it isn't already maybe I missed it? Nope I looked and it's not showing up in the repos. :D

This mod is now part of stock KSP. This thread is just here to talk about settings to change its behavior.

This mod is now part of stock KSP. This thread is just here to talk about settings to change its behavior.

That must be what STOCK'D means... Sorry new here, still wrapping my head around jargon.

Haven't gotten too far in the contracts, to be honest, I find the descriptions kind of vague, and many of the rewards don't even compensate for the cost of completing the mission, especially parts testing.

That must be what STOCK'D means... Sorry new here, still wrapping my head around jargon.

Haven't gotten too far in the contracts, to be honest, I find the descriptions kind of vague, and many of the rewards don't even compensate for the cost of completing the mission, especially parts testing.

Do 3 or 4 at a time in a single launch, and until you're more comfortable (or unlock plane parts) I'd suggest totally ignoring in-flight part tests. Test parts on the ground, splashed down, suborbital, or in orbit. Just not flying. Those are HARD. :D

But still do as many as you can in a single mission. Take that decoupler up into orbit while rescuing that Kerbal, and carry the engine all the way down so you can test it splashed down in the ocean.

Do 3 or 4 at a time in a single launch, and until you're more comfortable (or unlock plane parts) I'd suggest totally ignoring in-flight part tests. Test parts on the ground, splashed down, suborbital, or in orbit. Just not flying. Those are HARD. :D

But still do as many as you can in a single mission. Take that decoupler up into orbit while rescuing that Kerbal, and carry the engine all the way down so you can test it splashed down in the ocean.

Amen to all this advice. Also, I try to make sure that my ship is as recoverable as possible. Ideally (returning the entire ship to KSC), my only costs are fuel.

Oh, and I use Stage Recovery and parachutes to get back the booster stages. That helps a lot.

Great advice, thanks.

Hi all, hoping someone can help me out here:

I'm playing a heavily modded .90 game and loving the variety of extra contracts different mods give me (e.g. Mission Controller, Station Science, Orbital Material Science etc) however I'm having a problem with the survey contracts from Fine Print, specifically the survey locations are all being generated around a different continent.

http://i.imgur.com/OMu9u9e.png

http://i.imgur.com/ZLR3VD9.png

This is annoying because it means a long flight over the ocean to reach any of them, and no exciting journeys to the poles or deserts.

One idea I thought of is that maybe whatever generates FinePrint contracts thinks the KSC is located there? Could Kerbinside, Remotetech, a texture mod, or something else have confused it in this way?

Here is a picture of my mod folder in case that helps diagnosis:

http://i.imgur.com/Q2yzBhn.jpg

It's a lot of mods that otherwise seem to play very nicely together, just this one minor irritation.

If no one knows how to fix it so the survey contracts spawn centered around the KSC then maybe you could tell me how to edit the contract .cfg file to make them spawn anywhere on Kerbin, rather than just close to this continent?

Any ideas?

Thanks

It happens - some contracts generate near the KSC, others somewhere really far away. To get to the far ones in a timely manner, you have, as far as I can tell, two choices: turbojets, or intercontinental ballistic missiles (use the Trajectories mod to predict where they'll end up... I find it really fun actually). Also, if the contracts stipulates "above x meters", you can even do it from orbit, although you have to be quick to perform the experiment when you're moving at orbital speed.

Any ideas?

You can deliver your airplane to the location by rocket, collect information, landing, recover.

It happens - some contracts generate near the KSC, others somewhere really far away. To get to the far ones in a timely manner, you have, as far as I can tell, two choices: turbojets, or intercontinental ballistic missiles (use the Trajectories mod to predict where they'll end up... I find it really fun actually). Also, if the contracts stipulates "above x meters", you can even do it from orbit, although you have to be quick to perform the experiment when you're moving at orbital speed.
You can deliver your airplane to the location by rocket, collect information, landing, recover.

Thanks for your replies but I don't think I made myself clear. The problem isn't that some points are too far away, in fact I have a low tech 30 part plane that can reach those distances already. The problem is that they are always spawning in roughly the same area. I've completed a couple but each new one still sends me to the same part of Kerbin. When I used FinePrint in .25 I would be sent all over the planet, to nearby mountains, distant deserts and the polar icecaps. Now they all just seem to be over the same continent. I've got a feeling that it 's because the game thinks the KSC is located there and it's trying to give me local contracts ('trivial').

I can still play with it like this, and complete the flyovers, it's just a little more dull than it used to be and I don't think it's working as intended.

Thanks for your replies but I don't think I made myself clear. The problem isn't that some points are too far away, in fact I have a low tech 30 part plane that can reach those distances already. The problem is that they are always spawning in roughly the same area. I've completed a couple but each new one still sends me to the same part of Kerbin. When I used FinePrint in .25 I would be sent all over the planet, to nearby mountains, distant deserts and the polar icecaps. Now they all just seem to be over the same continent. I've got a feeling that it 's because the game thinks the KSC is located there and it's trying to give me local contracts ('trivial').

I can still play with it like this, and complete the flyovers, it's just a little more dull than it used to be and I don't think it's working as intended.

Ok, it's clear now. The problem is the distribution of contract points.

Maybe it can become a little bit more interesting if player keeps his airplanes in different points and the airplanes do reports and experiments at their vicinities.

I wonder if anyone could help me with writing ModuleManager configs to edit existing "PART_REQUEST"s and create new ones. I know how to make changes to part configs, but I can't work out how to do the same with "Contracts.cfg".

Ah, and this is why I wanted to close the thread a week or so after release. I've been taking it easy over the holidays though. I will be announcing a rebalancing effort soon in another thread, but for now I am going to shut this one down to reduce confusion.

If you guys have feedback, please post them to the actual feedback forums. Thanks!