[0.90.0] Fine Print vSTOCK'D - BETA RELEASE!!! (December 15)

Arsonide

Looks like the survey type is indicated by icon (green => temperature, red balloon => Atmospheric(?), yellow => Seismic(?))

The color is just to differentiate between contracts, in the case that there might be two atmospheric surveys right beside each other. The icon denotes the type of survey.

Sweet! But one question...

Each waypoint will also require you to be on the ground within a small area, below a certain altitude, or above a certain altitude.

Why not just within, say, 5 meters of a lat/long and "landed"? Then you sidestep the whole "The waypoint is underground!" issue.

The color is just to differentiate between contracts, in the case that there might be two atmospheric surveys right beside each other. The icon denotes the type of survey.

Thanks. It's looking pretty cool and it'll be a great addition to stock. Well done Arsonide!

I decided to just post a reply to express how much I like the new missions for 0.90. With the new 2.5+ m cargo bays I am just going to be putting some rovers in a plane and drop them out of it. Should be a lot of fun (it will be a drone of course, because who would put a kerbal in a plane of which the flight can't be reverted all the time?).

The experiments are a nice touch. At least now they have a use in the contracts. I also saw that the asteroid de-orgit away from the sun missions got a lot more rewarding. I'm assuming you realised that the current funds isn't enough for a rocket to do that?

Will the ground missions also be further away from the space center on Kerbin actually? I've only had one rover mission so far before my game crashed, so I just want to know.

Last question. Will we still have waypoints for orbits and the base mission? So space station around or on X planet, space station in asteroid?

Ok, that was the second to last question. The very last: are there going to be missions to have a base in a specific area of a planet/on a specific orbit?

Sure I'm doing something wrong here... but I can't see what it is.

pBdKeXo.png

Landed on mun, check. land base, check, has power, check. has docking port, check. has antenna, check. supports 15 kerbals, check. neutralise controls for 10 seconds, check... nothing. Its new since I accepted the contract (is there anyway to confirm that in the persistence file?)

Edit: to save anyone trailing through for the answers - one of the modules was from an older existing base - after undocking it the contract completed.

Edited by psyper

Sure I'm doing something wrong here... but I can't see what it is.

http://i.imgur.com/pBdKeXo.png

Landed on mun, check. land base, check, has power, check. has docking port, check. has antenna, check. supports 15 kerbals, check. neutralise controls for 10 seconds, check... nothing. Its new since I accepted the contract (is there anyway to confirm that in the persistence file?)

Was any part of the base constructed before the contract was accepted?

Hey Arsonide, I figure you're the person to ask, since Fine Print is being integrated into stock.

I'm working on a mod to adjust contract payouts to make sense for any RSS config you throw at it. My hope is to allow it to parametrize itself by estimating dV requirements, assuming a certain Isp value (probably 370s for stock), and then multiplying the contract payout by (stock payload fraction / adjusted payload fraction). In order to do this properly, I'm going to need to know what all the possible situations for a contract are. Unfortunately for my purposes, I've never played with Fine Print, and haven't gone farther than Duna in any career game. Ergo, my knowledge of what contract situations there are is limited.

Could you fill in any blanks for possible contract situations (both stock and Fine Print)? Also, I'm guessing I should include return trips for orbital stations and surface bases, because I dislike encouraging the stranding of Kerbals.

Sun

I have no idea if Sun-related contracts exist.

Kerbin

Landed (why do these exist?)

Splashed down

Aerial survey, planetary base, rover search (these are going to be a bit tricky)

Atmosphere

Suborbital

Low orbit

Molniya, geosync, geostat, tundra orbits

Escape trajectory

Airless bodies (Mun, Moho, etc)

Landed, planetary base, rover search (should be about the same multiplier)

Orbit (does this include Molniya orbits, etc?)

Suborbital?

Flyby (escape trajectory)

Atmospheric bodies (Duna, Laythe)

Landed, planetary base, rover search, aerial survey, splashed down

Atmosphere?

Suborbital?

Flyby

Orbit

Just a thought about the base contracts... instead of having to build an all-new base could there be an option to expand an existing base rather than start over?

Does the contracts system even support "do this" or "do this instead" and it completes the contract?

Was any part of the base constructed before the contract was accepted?

Spot on!! I went straight to bed after posting and as a dozed off in to blissful sleep with the back of my mind mulling over the munbase a little voice said - the lab was part of an old base you fool. Undocked it this morning and the contract completed straight away. Thanks guys!!

Love this mod btw and just read that its been integrated in to stock - well done!!

Is there a limit to how many contracts are spawned or allowed? I seem to be going through large swaths of time without new contracts getting offered. What can I adjust in the .cfg file to change this?

Also, what dictates when the "explore minmus" mission comes up? I've been waiting forever for that one!

Is there a limit to how many contracts are spawned or allowed? I seem to be going through large swaths of time without new contracts getting offered. What can I adjust in the .cfg file to change this?

Also, what dictates when the "explore minmus" mission comes up? I've been waiting forever for that one!

As I understand it, there is a maximum of 15 total contracts, between active and offered. "Explore Minmus", as far as I know, is set to come up after "Explore Mun" - I don't recall offhand whether it's after you complete some of the "Explore Mun" parameters, or after you complete the entire contract.

There are many limits. Check for MaximumAvailable, MaximumActive, and MaximumExistent settings in the configuration file.

In the FinePrint.cfg file there is a section called ISRU. What is it and why is MaximumExistent = 0

ISRU stands for In Situ Resource Utilization. That section of the FinePrint config controls contracts that depend on resource mods like Karbonite or Kethane. Those contracts are disabled by default because you will likely need to adjust some of the parameters to suit your setup before you enable them.

ISRU stands for In Situ Resource Utilization. That section of the FinePrint config controls contracts that depend on resource mods like Karbonite or Kethane. Those contracts are disabled by default because you will likely need to adjust some of the parameters to suit your setup before you enable them.

What...what he said!

Sorry if this has been asked, but can you do anything to make the stock contracts less specifically demanding? I find that most of them are very difficult to achieve, especially near the beginning, as they require inane things like "Test a Rockomaxx booster, at A-B altitude and C-D speed," which normally I imagine would be somewhat doable but mods like FAR interfere with this by altering the game's basic physics, meaning I'm usually going entirely too fast before I hit the target altitude. It's further exacerbated by the fact that the booster must be triggered during the specified window; it can't already be running. Can anything be done about crap like that? Just curious.

Sorry if this has been asked, but can you do anything to make the stock contracts less specifically demanding? I find that most of them are very difficult to achieve, especially near the beginning, as they require inane things like "Test a Rockomaxx booster, at A-B altitude and C-D speed," which normally I imagine would be somewhat doable but mods like FAR interfere with this by altering the game's basic physics, meaning I'm usually going entirely too fast before I hit the target altitude. It's further exacerbated by the fact that the booster must be triggered during the specified window; it can't already be running. Can anything be done about crap like that? Just curious.

It can be running beforehand. Just right click it when you achieved the target, click the "Run Test" option, and you are good to go. Also, throttle down to avoid going too fast.

It can be running beforehand. Just right click it when you achieved the target, click the "Run Test" option, and you are good to go. Also, throttle down to avoid going too fast.

You have to right click? Did NOT know that! That helps a ton, thanks. Also, something about throttling down a SRB seems a bit difficult... :P

I still feel that the target constraints are bit too precise and unfun for the stock contracts; they definitely need to be softened. Could that be done with a MM script maybe?

You have to right click? Did NOT know that! That helps a ton, thanks. Also, something about throttling down a SRB seems a bit difficult... :P

I still feel that the target constraints are bit too precise and unfun for the stock contracts; they definitely need to be softened. Could that be done with a MM script maybe?

Again, right click in the VAB. Every engine, SRBs included, has a "thrust limiter" option that is basically a fixed maximum throttle; set it to 50 and an SRB will give you 50% thrust all the way up. Use this to tune your launch TWR to something greater than one but less than two.

One fun and profitable little exploit has been to accept contracts for stations around in Minmusian, Kerbolar, and, for example, Ikean orbits. Then one station built after all the contracts are accepted can do and get paid for all three in succession. Sorry if this was already mentioned.