Can we all agree to not be like this?

Drew Kerman

... The truth is that the gaming community as a whole is a hostile place. Individual people and communities can obviously be different, but there is a very real problem. ...

And this is the point the OP was trying to make. Yes, there's a lot of crazies on the internet, but can't we make an effort to make this community one of these different ones instead of just throwing our hands in the air and accepting that ...

... Of course. I never said the abuse should be tolerated. I just said it is inevitable. ...

Nothing is inevitable (except death and taxes..). If we, as a community, shun the people who can't raise their displeasure in a civilised and respectful manner, those people will wander off to another place where their vitriol is tolerated.

PS. @Snjo: Brilliant!! :-D

Shouldn't people try to be more considerate of other people on the internet? There's criticism and then there's crapping up threads with idiotic posts that don't provide a shred of useful information.

In an ideal world yes that would be the case. But I have to say this also, cowboy up!

If you can't take some negativity then perhaps you shouldn't mod or put anything you do up for critique. Granted there are some real special snowflakes that post out there that add nothing to a thread or say a lot of junk. But again that falls under the COWBOY UP! You need to just get over it and drive on.

I am not defending some of the wannabe trolls out there, but I am saying that if you wither and cry at the slightest criticism then you shouldn't think about reading the forums for any game.

KSP forums are par for the course when it comes to heavily modded offline games, like Falcon4.0 and others. THe community is 95% nice with a touch of *sshattery, and thats not bad.

KSP forums are par for the course when it comes to heavily modded offline games, like Falcon4.0 and others. THe community is 95% nice with a touch of *sshattery, and thats not bad.

On a moderated forum you don't see the worst of the worst, and that's probably a good thing. I used to advocate for un-moderated in general but as I've grown older I've realized that there are too many people out there who get serious joy out of other's misery. It's terrible and we can do better online, especially in an era where social networking and your online presence mean just as much as the real world. If there's one thing I hate, it's the excuse "It's the internet". It shouldn't be that way.

I can never resist a stupid idea!

Banana

http://i.imgur.com/8eNKn9v.png

link-->save file-->OK

On a more serious note, I've seen this happen a couple times to Squad itself (you know the names). Whenever Squad makes ANY potentially controversial decision, I get really terrified. We're a nice community for the most part, but sometimes, we can get a little insane.

And this is the point the OP was trying to make. Yes, there's a lot of crazies on the internet, but can't we make an effort to make this community one of these different ones instead of just throwing our hands in the air and accepting that ...

Didn't say we shouldn't make an effort. I'm saying that you're not going to eliminate the problem. All public figures deal with unpleasant people.

Nothing is inevitable (except death and taxes..). If we, as a community, shun the people who can't raise their displeasure in a civilised and respectful manner, those people will wander off to another place where their vitriol is tolerated.

And more will wander in and spout their vitriol to replace the ones that wandered off. You cannot stop unpleasant people from being unpleasant. You can, and should, refuse to give them a stage to shout their vitriol. But it is inevitable that you're going to deal with it anyway. If this really weren't inevitable, we'd be having a very different conversation. As it is, we're both discussing the inevitability of this issue. I just pointed out that this behavior should be expected, if not tolerated, because there are a lot of asshats and you can't stop them from being asshats.

Greenfire32: Trololol. No, that is entirely missing the point, and as a number of posts on this thread have quite conclusively argued, an utter copout. (Also, apologies for singling you out, but you're the most recent to do this.)

Murder will never be entirely eliminated. Should we just embrace that and have neither a police nor a culture opposed to murder? Because hey, humans gonna murder, better expect it?

Simply saying that human beings can (and often are) bad to each other is so far from an argument against changing culture--it's an argument for changing culture. Unless you think the culture of an environment has no effect on anyone's behavior.

It is incredibly telling that this thread is now arguing over whether being rude to modders is a good thing. Because criticism must be both personal and destructive, and because that experience is, what, "character building" for modders?

I consider myself extremely lucky that the folks who use my mods and report on issues they encounter are generally a very polite and constructive bunch. There are a lot of people who run into difficulty, true (you wouldn't think a one-step install instruction would be that confusing, but eh) but they don't generally take it out on me. That is not the case for many modders here; ask yourself why the B9 thread is locked, or the KW thread before it, or why the KAS thread is such a mess right now. Let alone the recent controversy over mod statistics collection.

Simply saying "people on the internet will be rude" is a descriptive, not prescriptive statement. If anything, as above, it is a prescription for ameliorating that, not embracing its inevitability.

Finally, I do want to second (third? fourth?) the comments regarding reporting posts. That button is there, it is not so frequently used that we won't notice if it's used, and it is exactly what is called for when someone makes personal attacks. This forum has a quite strict policy against personal attacks, and it is enforced.

Both the KSP team and the moderation team see this sort of thing every day. While some of us are not modders or know development in any way, the name of the game remains the same. While there can always be room to find something in even the harshest, nastiest, most incoherent pieces of criticism, putting your thoughts down constructively ("This is why I don't like this. This is what you can do better") is always a billion times easier to register and analyze than simply saying something sucks or worse.

Seeing insults and immaturity should not be the norm. It should not be expected by anyone. Despite the fact that many of us, having spent so much time online, could have become somewhat desensitized by this behavior and now see such comments as routine, doesn't mean it should be. You can have the thickest skin in the world and expect the worst comments possible, but every so often there will be that one thing that just sticks with you. We're human. It happens. A great way to avoid that, though? Follow the golden rule. Treat others as you'd want to be treated yourself - unless you're purely in it for the reaction. Otherwise, ain't nobody got time for that!

For the record, I see the KSP community as being leaps and bounds ahead of others in terms of this behavior. While no one is immune from a flare up - as I said, we're human - the levels of maturity and civility that you all display is absolutely through the roof. You, as a community, should be proud of how you collectively conduct yourselves on a daily basis. For those who may lose the way from time to time and simply need a reminder on how to thrive, let Abraham Lincoln show you the way before this thread is closed.

awb9vzw.jpg