Holy Grail of Mun Bases! STOCK ONLY

So, I've decided to take Rune's advice and repost this thread as a tutorial on "Cellular Matrix" bases, though I'll probably leave the challenge up for a while, at least until that gains some traction. And furthermore, I haven't even really met the challenge myself, although I plan to very soon and it won't be in this post but I do have some more testing screenshots because I have recently regained a new appreciation for FULL TESTING.

Here's what happens when you kut korners. Oh sorry Jorfred but your sub-cell and current home just ejected its foundation structure along with a descent module and is now useless. Good thing you were in the cupola and it magically stayed upright with only two legs along a single axis of its center o' gravity:

utHcCzhl.png

I landed two of those before I realized they were defective. Good ole' MK2 Rover on its actually legit second rescue mission.

So, here is a shot of the High Density Node (now debugged) docking for the first time with the High Density Core. It is impossible to convey without an absurd amount of screenshots, but the clearance of the ADARR unit when docked with the High Density Core is simply astonishing considering that the High Density Core wasn't even a spec on my monitor when I did the full redesign of the ADARR Entourage edition.

4CHZWJKl.png

It was thisclose! On a side note, the High Density Core is conveniently able to dock with 2 ADARR units (enough to precariously maneuver and dock with the HDN) without dropping her descent modules, which are more useful for the legs than for the fuel or RCS. Thus I have designed some of them to remain attached to support some late stage docking procedures, though all of these sub cells are fully functional without their descent modules, and again with more advanced use of suspension locking on an action item, I have resisted adding multiple redundant legs on the High Density Core. It was a total beast in Kerbal gravity but it will be fine on the MUN. All the dockings have been much easier on the MUN since you get a Queen's tonne more sagging of parts at the KSC. Also not sure if I've mentioned this before but all of my action items are unified across all modules so that I can literally lower all the legs of a specific type on the base AT ONCE with a single button. Same goes for ladders, solar panels and anything else that moves. I have actually hit my "Toggle Legs" hot key by accident before and just about had an accident in my pants when my whole base sat down on the surface at once. It has also been super handy.

And no it's not a part that's refusing to attach, it's just my new lighting scheme which I might change before I release the craft files. This one turned out a little "sithy" after it was docked together. But I kind of like it...

L4P8WDul.png

Note the inline clamp-o-trons, which were inspired by the comments from ixolate industries above. I was working on a super high density module but I didn't quite figure out this setup until those comments were made. As you can see, full bypass, no HAL modules necessary, and I am even adding antennae to the Specialized Science Laboratory I'm working on so that the HAL module is completely obsolete, I damn hated trying to dock that thing.

Anyway the inline clamp-o-trons were still necessary actually in order to get the correct spacing so that this set of sub-cells is totally compatible with the low density system in all directions. You could literally slap it right onto any side. All of the spacing between the docking ports remains standard, thank the developers, although I did clip in an extra adapter piece which I feel makes it look better. (I know) There is a little clipping of the below corridor parts into the hitchhiker module above, but it actually works for me.

Cq7aSiPl.png

So a few notes on this little setup:

-It still has yet to shed exactly 40 parts in order to dock with Phaze2 sub-cells on either side. I am actually concerned about parts but sometimes I have to add a couple because pretty/physics.

-As you can see, there are already 8 hitchhikers and this is just the central core. With the addition of two Phaze2 sub-cells on the sides it will deliver the promised double density of 12 cans in the same amount of space as Phaze1-2 is able to accomodate 6 cans. Interestingly, if you just put one Phaze2 sub-cell between two HDCs and 4 HDNs you would end up with exactly 18 cans or TRIPLE density, (though the docking ports would be shallow of the established "cell boundary" on two sides and would require a non-standard rectangular cell shape to fully integrate)

-I have one more certification with the Phaze2 module before I can release the Craft files on Phaze3, but I won't wait until I finish it on the MUN, so there's your disclaimer. I know for a fact that I will have to slightly modify the currently posted Phaze2 module by removing the upper strut on the central corridor to give clearance for the HDC upper hitchhikers. I will update that craft file at the same time but just be warned the old/current Phaze2 will not work with the HDC shown above.

Edited by Munarware

• 3 years later...

Just came across this thread. A couple years ago I made a craft that could do this challenge with the possible exception of disassembly. (I hadn't tried) I was in career mode fulfilling a contract for a base on the Mun with something like 14 kerbals, and a bunch of fuel. I put a miner on it to get the job done. The mover can rendevous and/or decouple at it's top, front, or rear. I hope someone enjoys.

https://imgur.com/a/PcDxs

Anyone can add as many hitchhikers as you want with the first craft.

MUN EXPANDABLE BASE
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I9dz0bIJulKcoOsUh3KXNYedjUtSEAaD/view?usp=sharing

MUN EXPANDABLE TANK
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tvZYrB656LmUJ6wZG1UMa2YPupEKGmQE/view?usp=sharing

MUN EXPANDABLE MINER
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LIxVibP8GkhTU7n8yGCRirBxtsTqbJVi/view?usp=sharing

Sorry I have lazy man mechjeb.

If you don't need mechjeb, then you don't need my craftfiles.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.