CactEye Orbital Telescope

Rubber Ducky

[Moderator note: See Raven.'s updated version,

currently here]

MAhXpz2.png

CactEye is a plugin and set of parts that allow for modular orbital telescopes. CactEye telescopes feature a fully-functional science system, and are upgradeable/serviceable (primarily through Kerbal Attachment System). Orbital telescopes also now become fundamental to discovering asteroids.

25mFoas.png?1

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]9AIUrCn.png?2[/TD]

[TD]

PARTS

CactEye Optical System (left)

• The main part of the telescope; optical systems are the actual telescope part of the telescope. This optics system comes with an aperture door to protect it from the sun's damaging rays.

FungEye Optical System (right)

• A 1.25m variant optical system which is cheaper, lighter, and less bulky. Of course, this part is much more limited - it only has a single-use aperture (once the aperture is opened, it stays open), and can only gather 10% of any possible science gain.

[/TD]

[TD]5b5doDG.png?1[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]R2b9kO8.png?1[/TD]

[TD]Wide Field Camera Processor

• Processors take the raw data from the optics system, do some wizardryâ„¢, and allow that data to be transmitted back home for scientific analysis. The Wide Field Camera is the most basic processor, and its use is simple. Just point the telescope at a celestial body, zoom in close enough, and snap a picture!

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]bRrV88P.png?1[/TD]

[TD]Asteroid Camera Processor

• This processor will allow for scientific experiments to be done upon discovered asteroids based on their size classification. If a telescope is left with this processor running, it will increase the rate at which near-Kerbin asteroids are found. This module only works inside of Kerbin's SOI.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]jgHRU5k.png?1[/TD]

[TD]Occultation Camera Processor

• This is the most advanced processor, and it is only available in the third and final generation of processors. This processor will continually compute random dates to observe a specific target. Observing the target at the specified date will allow for large science gains. It is very important to upkeep maintenance on your telescope for this processor.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]LOYiaug.png?1[/TD]

[TD]

Processor Mount

• Easily mount a processor anywhere! Surface attachable. Make sure to turn off angle snap if placing inside the cargo bay. Also, note that FungEye has its own internal mount (pictured right), so a new processor mount is unnecessary.

Service Bay (not pictured)

• You need a place to put all this stuff! Also allows all your modules and whatnot to be accessible on later servicing missions.

[/TD]

[TD]F55xIMO.png?1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]n4xkPkF.png?1[/TD]

[TD]Gyroscope and Reaction-Wheel Unit (GRU)

• These are more advanced reaction wheel modules that allow for their torque to be reduced to make very fine adjustments. These deteriorate over time, so you'll need to replace or repair these periodically.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]lQ7F4w8.png?1[/TD]

[TD]Solar Panel Array

• This panel array features roll-out mechanics, like Hubble's first couple of arrays. It's rated at 8 e/s of charge.

Servicing Ladder (not pictured)

• Goes nicely in the service bay.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]aOWA0X6.png?1[/TD]

[TD]Smobodobodyne SLIM Probe Core

• A slim variant of the stock cubic probe core. It is radially mountable anywhere, but it does not feature any kind of reaction wheel.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

WARNING! Never point telescope directly at sun!

zOIBAMs.png

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]AqHwxPl.png

Pictured: FungEye telescope fitted inside a Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter cargo bay.[/TD]

[TD]

COMPATIBILITY

Designed for KSP v0.24 (32-bit or 64-bit). Fully backwards compatible with v0.23.5. I have no clue how it'll fair with future updates, but I doubt too much will break.

Incompatible with Distant Object Enhancements, you'll have to turn off flares in its settings. It's even my own mod, but I seriously don't have enough time left to do an update for DOE, and for that I apologize.

RECOMMENDED MODS

None of these are required, however. The mod works on its own with no dependencies.

• Kerbal Attachment System
    • by KospY and Majiir, with models by Winn75 and zzz
    • This plugin allows for Kerbals on EVA to swap out and install new parts on the telescope. Highly, highly recommended, but due to its current instability on 64-bit platforms, not required.

[*]Kerbal Alarm Clock

• by TriggerAu
    • This plugin is incredibly helpful to use with the Occultation experiments.

[*]Toolbar

• by blizzy78
    • This mod supports the Toolbar plugin. If you decide not to install Toolbar, you can simply right click on the optical system to toggle the GUI on and off.

[*]Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System

• by helldiver and Nazari1382
    • After many, many requests, the 1.25m optics system was designed with the standard orbiter in mind. The full-sized optics system will still fit in the EWBCL bay, but you'll have to fly up the service bay later or forgo it entirely

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

NOTICE

Due to personal circumstances, I will be completely out of contact following July 30, 2014, and I will then be unavailable to update, maintain, or provide support for this mod in any way. It's hard to say goodbye, but my personal life takes priority over KSP.

Because of this, always check the last few pages of this thread for compatibility! I've also given a very liberal license to allow others to upkeep the mod and update it for compatibility, if so desired.

If this plugin ever becomes incompatible with a future version of KSP and another user posts a fixed version, I give full permission for a mod to edit this OP and insert a link to their post/thread.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]

DOWNLOADS

Mirror 1 (Box.com)

Mirror 2 (Google Drive)

Mirror 3 (MediaFire)

License - Source Code

KNOWN ISSUES

• The aforementioned incompatibility with Distant Object Enhancements
  • There is some shaking visible at very high zoom levels. Remember that KSP wasn't built to measure the rotation of a vessel this precisely.
  • Planets can get some weird clipping artifacts, and their lighting is incorrect. Remember that KSP wasn't really built to see planets from so far away.
  • Solar panels occasionally block themselves -- just rotate the telescope a bit further so that they can find the sun

CREDITS

• Rubber Ducky (me) - plugin and all parts
  • agises - Linux compatibility fix (v1.1)
  • Snjo - Firespitter plugin code
    • The FSanimateGeneric class has been recompiled into another plugin file (with a few lines of original code) to avoid conflicts with the Firespitter mod.

[*]Playtesters

[/TD]

[TD]ZC7DABy.png?1[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by Master Tao

This looks absolutely phenomenal.

Quick question: has anyone else take over for DOE? that was one of my favorite mods. I'm sorry to see you go.

Not yet. If anyone's interested, shoot me a PM.

Yes.

Edited by Rubber Ducky

Congratulations on the official release, I love your mods. Fair winds on your path Rubber Ducky you will be sorely missed, you were always really nice and quick with help to new guys. You were the first person to repsond to my very first question on the forum. I promise not to cry I'll miss!

Is there a way to pluck just that service bay out of the mod? I don't have much interest in telescopes for KSP but that cargo bay is legit.

Install it, and then delete everything except the tele_bay folder in Parts and CET_FSanimateGeneric.dll in Plugins.

I threw this together and sent it up in Sandbox mode.. I can't get any GUI to come up. And nothing appearing in Toolbar either pertaining to the telescope. I even removed toolbar.. Right click, and clicking Toogle GUI isn't producing anything. Running the Linux 64bit version of KSP

Edit: Tried it in a stock vanilla copy of KSP.. Neither 32bit or 64bit are showing a GUI at all. I'll try Windows tomorrow to see if it's purely a Linux thing

Edited by styckx

I threw this together and sent it up in Sandbox mode.. I can't get any GUI to come up. And nothing appearing in Toolbar either pertaining to the telescope. I even removed toolbar.. Right click, and clicking Toogle GUI isn't producing anything. Running the Linux 64bit version of KSP

Edit: Tried it in a stock vanilla copy of KSP.. Neither 32bit or 64bit are showing a GUI at all. I'll try Windows tomorrow to see if it's purely a Linux thing

Can now confirm. This addon is not Linux compatible. Worked like a charm on Windows.