CactEye Orbital Telescope

Rubber Ducky

I started a re-paint of the telescope into a non-black version.

WIP.. Can't stress this enough. There plenty areas still in the original texturing I know :)

I've done the main body structures of both the telescope and service bay.. Both were started from complete scratch by working two brand new metal textures over the original areas and building it back up. Only thing I recycled (from the areas I repainted) from the original was the door handle.. I redid all the lines, new rivets, etc.

http://i.imgur.com/bvnEA7a.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FRdwEsW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xiELLYb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bG8nfRS.jpg

Definitely interested when you're done. Bravo sir.

I have the same problem. Can store the processors and gyros in the KAS storage containers. But cannot take them out of the containers.

I have a processor mount installed. I removed the old processor. But can't take a new one out of KAS container to install it.

Someone please help?

The KAS DLL fix worked for me.

Edited by JPLRepo
fixed

I have the same problem. Can store the processors and gyros in the KAS storage containers. But cannot take them out of the containers.

I have a processor mount installed. I removed the old processor. But can't take a new one out of KAS container to install it.

Someone please help?

Are you on 32bit or 64bit KSP? Also what version of KAS are you using? I made a fix for 64bit KSP and everything is working fine.

Are you on 32bit or 64bit KSP? Also what version of KAS are you using? I made a fix for 64bit KSP and everything is working fine.

I have the same problem on 32bit

KAS v0.4.7

Edited by jrolson

I have the same problem on 32bit

KAS v0.4.7

It's a KAS bug, KAS containers seem to be broken for me as well.

It spits out this when you try to take something from the containers.

[EXC 13:20:06.828] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Part.LoadModule'.

I am truly sorry if this is an useless reply or if this has been answered already, but its there any optimal orbit (in kerbin) to use the telescope? i know that until the level 2 optics nothing will work out of Kerbin orbit, but i want to know if being in the lower orbit gives better results, because i dont think the zoom difference from being at 100 km to being at 8 000 km is too much

Not yet. If anyone's interested, shoot me a PM.

Yes.

This community is freakin awesome. Wow that fast. Sad to see you go man .. I had the same with many other games for a while after I got hitched and found myself a new papa. Hope it's something good that takes you away. :-) blessings to ya.

i think ill get this but i use distant object enhacement, is it simply not possible to work or works weird?

You need to turn off flares for Distant Object Enhancement, or else when trying to take images of the planets using the telescope, you just get a over saturated (white) image.

With the DOE flares turned off, you can take pictures normally.

Of course, with flares turned off, you can't really tell where the planets are anymore, though.

Has anyone tried using a telescope on land with this? I wanted to build an observatory on a mountain but testing the telescope on the launch pad, I can't get it stable at all. Past 300x or so and it's just too shaky to keep the target in the view field with even the slightest movement.

I'm using IR to rotate and pivot the telescope but even small steps in the IR framework just causes the telescope to wiggle uncontrollably. Nothing can seem to steady the movement either. Struts don't work, SAS doesn't work, the included gyros don't work, anchors (with KAS) don't work nor does attaching it to ground pylons through winches. Literally the only thing that works for me is the time warp bug but that's not really 'working'. Anyone else have ideas?

Has anyone tried using a telescope on land with this? I wanted to build an observatory on a mountain but testing the telescope on the launch pad, I can't get it stable at all. Past 300x or so and it's just too shaky to keep the target in the view field with even the slightest movement.

I'm using IR to rotate and pivot the telescope but even small steps in the IR framework just causes the telescope to wiggle uncontrollably. Nothing can seem to steady the movement either. Struts don't work, SAS doesn't work, the included gyros don't work, anchors (with KAS) don't work nor does attaching it to ground pylons through winches. Literally the only thing that works for me is the time warp bug but that's not really 'working'. Anyone else have ideas?

Try using uncontrolled pivots and using the gyros on the telescope to turn it. Also make sure all the axis of rotation are aligned with the Center of Mass for the telescope, so you only need minimal forces to spin it.

BCF5kvz.jpg

This setup that I threw together in a few minutes works reasonably well. With some improvements I'm sure you can make a very decent ground based telescope. One thing I did notice is that the rotation of the planet makes it hard to track a planet for extended periods of time. Maybe with some kOS programming you can make a tracking program.

You need to turn off flares for Distant Object Enhancement, or else when trying to take images of the planets using the telescope, you just get a over saturated (white) image.

With the DOE flares turned off, you can take pictures normally.

Of course, with flares turned off, you can't really tell where the planets are anymore, though.

What this mod needs is a button in the GUI to temporarily turn off the flares. Call it "Flare reduction filter" or something.

I thought the free moving parts and the telescope`s own gyro might be the way to go too, but alternatively you can use the powered IR parts, and use the servo control to reduce movement speed to extremely small increments.

It defaults to 1, and you can set it to anything, 0.0001 if you want. and you can make the change on the fly as you need it

I thought the free moving parts and the telescope`s own gyro might be the way to go too, but alternatively you can use the powered IR parts, and use the servo control to reduce movement speed to extremely small increments.

It defaults to 1, and you can set it to anything, 0.0001 if you want. and you can make the change on the fly as you need it

I haven't tested that, but I don't think the Infernal Robotics code is build for such small increments. I can imagine it'll induce a lot of unwanted stress and oscillations in the setup. Feel free to try though, maybe I'm wrong.

Worked pretty well, even with the increments so small that the rotation of the planet was too quick for the rotation of the parts :)

and with keys assigned to controlling the rotating parts, could freely operate the zoom and other camera controls with the mouse while tracking the objects manually

all this said and done, you are still way better off to put the thing in orbit, hah!