CactEye Orbital Telescope

Rubber Ducky

The update is still a work in progress and in heavy development at the moment. At the moment, everything but the occultation experiment is working, and I'm debating on a beta release.

+1 on beta :)

Release early, release often is a good agile methodology ;-)

Well, Santa might have something in his gift bag soon. So keep checking this thread.

I love this mod soooo much! It's the one you can't live without!

Awesome! Good to hear!

Hope this gets updated to .90!

It will be, I've had a new version in the works for a couple of months now, and it appears to be working pretty well in 0.90!

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/226554-cacteye-2-orbital-telescope

First BETA is live! Occultion experiment and processors are not yet implemented, but everything else should be fully functional.

License is here: https://github.com/Raven45/CactEye-2/blob/master/LICENSE.md

Source is here: https://github.com/Raven45/CactEye-2

Keep in mind that this is really raw; expect bugs. If you notice a bug, then please let me know about by opening up an issue on the github page. Also be sure to include a log file; log files are crucial to the debugging of CactEye 2, as CactEye 2 is set to output to the logs whenever something goes wrong. In fact, it's very chatty in regards to logs.

Whenever I can get off my lazy butt, I'll get around to creating a new thread.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, if you have the old version of CactEye installed, delete that folder first before installing this; the dll file has been renamed.

Edited by Raven.

Using EVE and ATM is giving me transparent planets.

DistantObjectEnhancer flares are still causing problems.

Also can you disable the Gyroscope decay? I don't play with KAS and I'm not launching a new service module every 4 days, and it serves as a horribly "balanced" way to make the telescope completely unusable in the regular game (seriously, we already have the tech tree, how about letting us have fun?).

The insta-explosion when you get within 10 degrees of the Sun is also not fun and completely pointless because you can just quicksave every goddamn time you move the thing.

Edited by Nitrous Oxide

I actually like the decay part. Goes well with my mission controller repair mission too. And I find the sun explosion funny more than anything. Maybe some hardcore players will find it nice.

Either way, if possible, make those things an option people can choose

Either way, if possible, make those things an option people can choose

Yeah, that's what I was getting at, for those of us who don't use KAS but still like the idea of a space telescope (although now I realize you can also repair them, without the need to replace, is that right?).

I like the explosions too, just they happen way too fast... I couldn't even react the first time... haha. (Note to self: don't just switch targets carelessly)

I'm just crabby when it comes to mods that you have to use a particular way... kind of defeats the points of a mod... which is to modify a game to your liking... lol. IMO they should be as open as possible for people to customize/tweak as they desire.

Edited by Nitrous Oxide

Using EVE and ATM is giving me transparent planets.

DistantObjectEnhancer flares are still causing problems.

Also can you disable the Gyroscope decay? I don't play with KAS and I'm not launching a new service module every 4 days, and it serves as a horribly "balanced" way to make the telescope completely unusable in the regular game (seriously, we already have the tech tree, how about letting us have fun?).

The insta-explosion when you get within 10 degrees of the Sun is also not fun and completely pointless because you can just quicksave every goddamn time you move the thing.

By ATM I'm assuming you're meaning Active Texture Management? Is there any chance you can upload a log file?

Also, what version of Distant Object are you using? Exactly how are they giving problems; the same as before or different issue? The wrapper that is used is rather picky about the version; Distant Object needs to be version 1.5.1 for it to function.

The next version I think I'll modify the sun explosions a little bit, since people are complaining about it, along with doing up a configuration menu.

Thanks for the feedback!

By ATM I'm assuming you're meaning Active Texture Management? Is there any chance you can upload a log file?

Also, what version of Distant Object are you using? Exactly how are they giving problems; the same as before or different issue? The wrapper that is used is rather picky about the version; Distant Object needs to be version 1.5.1 for it to function.

The next version I think I'll modify the sun explosions a little bit, since people are complaining about it, along with doing up a configuration menu.

Thanks for the feedback!

Welp, looks like my problem is that I have 1.5.0, so I'm going to update that and see how it works.

And yeah, Active Texture Management, also using EVE with Better Atmospheres... just not sure what to look for in the log file... although it's littered with this, so I think DOE is my problem right now...

FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'DistantObject, Version=1.5.1.33811, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

Welp, looks like my problem is that I have 1.5.0, so I'm going to update that and see how it works.

And yeah, Active Texture Management, also using EVE with Better Atmospheres... just not sure what to look for in the log file... although it's littered with this, so I think DOE is my problem right now...

That'll do it. The dll looks specifically for 1.5.1. The log file entry is basically complaining that it can't find the exact dll from Distant Object.

I have Active Texture Management downloaded. It's not a mod that I commonly use; Texture Replacer will also compress some files and reduce memory footprint. I'm going to see if I can recreate the issue with ATM today.

I think I am having an issue with the FungEye-Telescope.

How am I getting any Science from taking Pictures of a Moon/Planet?

It saved some screenshots while I was pointing at the Mun but I got no Science-Message from it.

Maybe I am just lacking experience with that mod :)

Just simply taking a screenshot doesn't yield science points. If you have the wide-field camera, and you're in career mode, there should be another button/icon next to the screenshot button; that button will produce the science dialogue of which you can collect your science points.

EDIT: Oh, you also have to have the target celestial body targeted through mapview. In fact, here's the code so people can see the conditions for science. It checks for an active target, an active processor (Wide Field processors automatically activate when you bring up the gui), and if the game is not in Sandbox mode. The DoScience method will check to make sure the target is a planet/moon.

if (FlightGlobals.fetch.VesselTarget != null && ActiveProcessor && HighLogic.CurrentGame.Mode != Game.Modes.SANDBOX)
{
if (GUI.Button(new Rect(ScopeRect.xMin + ((0.5f * ScopeRect.width) - 20), ScopeRect.yMin + (ScopeRect.height - 48f), 32, 32), Atom6Icon))
{
Notification = ActiveProcessor.DoScience(GetTargetPos(FlightGlobals.fetch.VesselTarget.GetTransform().position, 500f), false, CameraModule.FieldOfView, CameraModule.TakeScreenshot(ActiveProcessor));
timer = 0f;
}
}

EDIT 2: Also, I went ahead and broke up the download into two downloads: one is the main download, and the other is the dll that provides compatibility for Distant Object. This was done to help address the log spam for users without Distant Object. If you are running Distant Object, you need both downloads.

Edited by Raven.

Hello again :)

Yes, I have the Distant Object-dll as I am using the Distant Object Mod

Here is my Setup:

DrLKJZg.jpg

But when I am targeting the Mun I can only take a Screenshot. The other Button does not work.

9JpXQKb.jpg

And when I switch to another Processor, i get the msg that the processor is out of power allthough my batteries are full

wxo54yv.jpg

I really would like to have this mod up and running.

Hello again :)

Yes, I have the Distant Object-dll as I am using the Distant Object Mod

Here is my Setup:

http://i.imgur.com/DrLKJZg.jpg

But when I am targeting the Mun I can only take a Screenshot. The other Button does not work.

http://i.imgur.com/9JpXQKb.jpg

And when I switch to another Processor, i get the msg that the processor is out of power allthough my batteries are full

http://i.imgur.com/wxo54yv.jpg

I really would like to have this mod up and running.

Confirmed, I was able to reproduce the issue with the exact same setup. I'll try to to see if I can get a fix going.

I have an update out for CactEye 2. This update should fix the issues that MalfunctionM1ke reported, along with a couple of other bugs that I've found. The downloads are available on GitHub and awaiting approval on Curse.

Curse: http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/226554-cacteye-2-orbital-telescope

Github: https://github.com/Raven45/CactEye-2/releases/tag/BETA-3

******************Change Log******************

CactEye 2 BETA 3
-Fixed an issue where running a science experiment with either the "Wide Field Camera 1" or
"Wide Field Camera 2" would produce a "NullReferenceException."
-Fixed an issue where attempting to switch to another processor would grey the GUI out with the error
message that the telescope was out of power, even with full batteries.
-Fixed a "ArgumentOutOfRange" exception that would be thrown while switching to another processor.
-Fixed an issue with both the Wide Field Camera processors and the Asteroid Camera processors where an
incorrect amount of science points would be awarded.

CactEye 2 BETA 2
-Completely rewritten code base for CactEye.
-Completely redesigned GUI for the Telescope controls.
-Asteroid telescopes should no longer be restricted to Kerbin orbit.
-Occultation experiments are not yet available.

Happy new year,

I am so glad I have finally got around to playing with this mod (my last persistent game was in Sandbox so really defeated the point of having science based mods).

Is there any chance you could include and update a KSP-AVC version file with your Github releases as it makes things easier for myself (and I would think others) to keep up to date with latest mod developments?

I have a lot of favourite mods and being lucky enough to not be restricted by Windows KSP-32/64 bit tends to mean that keeping track of every mod I install is impossible (I even refresh the forum releases page quite a lot and still miss important mod updates - the Joys of a fully bloated KSP install).

Thanks for making my KSP feel even more complete and keep up the good work!

~cheers~