Where you want Mods hosted?

Where should Modders upload their mods?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Where should Modders upload their mods?

• CurseForge
    • NexusMods
    • moddb
    • Kerbal Stuff (or other Majiir Community Mod Repo)
    • Cloud Storage (dropbox, mediafire, etc)
    • GitHub
    • Don't care

Ok, so after trying (for days) to set up an easy way to update my mods, I have to say I have found a bit of a flaw in this modding community. Basically, IT'S ALL OVER THE PLACE! There are mods scattered across the net and apart from nismobg's valiant effort, there is NO way to keep your mods up to date.

Now I know the closing of the SpacePort hurt, but we got alts. It is just a matter of picking one and sticking with it. But which one? We got GitHub, Kerbal Stuff, CurseForge, NexusMods, moddb, self hosting and project Majiir. What should we use?

That is the question I now pose to you all here. As modders (and those that like mods) where would you like to go to upload/download/search for mods?

Edited by TheAlmightyOS
Really badly worded title

Wherever the individual modder feels is best for their mod.

I concur.

I have two channels of distribution:

- CurseForge: It is, after all, the official KSP add-on repository, and it has many improvements over Spaceport (listing multiple versions, dedicated screenshot gallery, rich text field for description, no ads/download timers compared with Curse)

- GitHub: A convenient place to host experimental WIPs, track issues, project progress, wikis and an alternative download location for those who don't feel comfortable even with CurseForge

I have no interest in additional download locations, since each update would require too much work to document / format my release notes to fit the idiosyncrasies of each "alternative" system.

Why does it need to all be in the same place? I don't download from Curse if I can avoid it, but I don't flip .... if that's the only place someone decides to host their mod. I'm a fan of when someone keeps their work in multiple places so that if one service is down, there are other options.

But really, whatever people want to use. Even when Spaceport was around there were still people who only hosted stuff on mediafire or github, etc. As long as the services work, I don't care if my mods come from a few different sites. Makes zero difference.

Why does it need to all be in the same place? I don't download from Curse if I can avoid it, but I don't flip .... if that's the only place someone decides to host their mod. I'm a fan of when someone keeps their work in multiple places so that if one service is down, there are other options.

But really, whatever people want to use. Even when Spaceport was around there were still people who only hosted stuff on mediafire or github, etc. As long as the services work, I don't care if my mods come from a few different sites. Makes zero difference.

Same here.

project Majir = Kerbal Stuff.

I like Github for plugin stuff. I don't write code myself, but it's good to see the source code as it can help me figure out how to properly use a plugin. not everyone documents their code like Mihara and snjo.

parts I finish goes on mediafire and kerbalstuff.

Multiple locations is my preference; preference against Mediafire (stupid popup ads). My basic division in terms of which link I'll click:

Direct download (link immediately starts download, no landing page) > Curseforge > Dropbox, Github, Kerbal Stuff, etc. > Mediafire > Curse (regular) > not downloading

That preference just guides me if there are multiple options, though; I don't worry about it when deciding whether to download a mod in the first place, because none of them are actually that bad.

Edited by cpast

I'd say anywhere BUT CurseForge. It's bloated with ads and lags too damn much. I can deal with a small amount of ads but when it takes a page 15+ seconds to load each page or crashes Firefox if I open up a bunch of tabs to CurseForge it's too much.

I'd say anywhere BUT CurseForge. It's bloated with ads and lags too damn much. I can deal with a small amount of ads but when it takes a page 15+ seconds to load each page or crashes Firefox if I open up a bunch of tabs to CurseForge it's too much.

Curseforge has pretty much no ads. Regular Curse has tons of ads. Curseforge is what you get if you click the "Mods" link on the top of the forum.

Personally I'm not fussed, but I don't put up with unsolicited ads at home and I don't want them with my mods, so I'm quite happy with anywhere that gives me a hassle free download, although I agree with the principle of a central location for mods, it's a very rare thing and only a couple of games I've ever made mods for have provided such facilities either on a dedicated forum or at another location. Out of choice however I send anything I do for others via drop-box because it's so terribly convenient.

I thought Majiir's mod repository is Kerbal Stuff . . . :(

My bad. I was going off Majiir's post http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79044-Mod-Hosting-Guide and was not aware at the time that Kerbal Stuff was the result of his call for a repository.

I changed the title to reflect what I was attempting for in the first place: Asking Modders and users alike about using a single source to simplify modding process. This was not an attempt to TELL the modders to do anything. It ain't like that. You guys do an awesome job. It would just be cool to simplify things for modders and users so more time is spent enjoying these great mods and awesome game. Don't hate the dreamer guys

I won't go so far as to say I don't care, but I wish there was a "anywhere that allows downloads" option.

Really. How hard is it for mod users to just use whatever link the mod maker uses? Cusre, Kerbalstuff, Dropbox, heck I'll even follow an adfly link if it gets me the mod. And if it takes 4 extra seconds that's 4 seconds I'll happily spend.

TheAlmightyOS: I have thus edited the poll to combine the KerbalStuff and Majiir Repo options. Let me know if you want me to add a "don't care" option.

Thank you. I am starting to fall into the "don't care" category myself. They don't get it's not the downloading that is the issue, it's the searching and updating and browsing. A forum is a poor place to showcase mods IMHO but it is up to them.

Ideally, both GitHub and Kerbal Stuff. Absolutely not Mediafire though!

Agree, especially with the Mediafire bit. Mediafire is downright malicious with the crapware they try to trick you into downloading. (Fortunately my Chrome setup negates most of the crapware, but that still doesn't excuse their behavior -- and KSPModAdmin sadly uses an ancient embedded version of IE which makes Mediafire even worse.)

Wherever the individual modder feels is best for their mod.

^ this.

Everyone has their own methods, I tried to maintain a few locations but became a pain, Spaceport was just handy, and though riddled with issues, the simple fact is, I just got used to it and I was quite happy keeping my mods updated there (well, thats when they actually would upload without error... )

So I ended up just making a quick site and hosting it there, where I have complete control over everything, updates, spammers, leechers, whatever. I get to put zero advertising in so it's nice and clean, it costs me all of about $4 a year to run, which is pretty minimal really...

This poll needs a "don't care" option.

@Blizzy , Agreed, or maybe "N/A"

I vote for Kerbal Stuff, the site is very good and SirCmpwn did a good job on it and it's even a beta, is fast and easy, free from ads.

I also use mediafire but websites like these tend to become less and less useful and more painful as the javascript and cie takes as long as KSP scene change itself :P to load, and their policy is to catch people with free (very) limited storage and bandwith for some, create some kind of "addiction" then charge for more space/bandwith.

Personally I hate Curse(Forge). Cluttered, ugly and loads slow. I would have chosen Nexus, because even though there are sites that load faster, it just feels nice, maybe because I used to spend a lot of time there, downloading Skyrim mods, but I know no one else would choose that. ModDB has a terrible UI, almost as bad as Curse(Forge).

I think that GitHub is probably a good choice as an alternative download, since it seems to be a good place for mod developers. If a mod dev chooses not to use GitHub, I would prefer Dropbox as the alternative. Primary should always be Kerbal Stuff, because it's a really good site, loads reasonably fast, has all the required features and it looks nice, too. I don't know what any of these are like for the developer, but from a user's point of view, this is the way to go in my opinion.

Of course, I can't tell anyone that they must do it like this, but I would be really happy if people stopped using CurseForge. The only thing worse than that is the MEGA which I've seen a mod or two use.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.