Where you want Mods hosted?

Where should Modders upload their mods?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Where should Modders upload their mods?

• CurseForge
    • NexusMods
    • moddb
    • Kerbal Stuff (or other Majiir Community Mod Repo)
    • Cloud Storage (dropbox, mediafire, etc)
    • GitHub
    • Don't care

Ok, well I think that blew up on the launchpad....

What I am TRYING to get at is, as a user, it is nearly impossible to keep track of your favorite mods. For me personally, without this thread I would spend hours (and have) finding updated mods so that I can get into the game and play. Hell, I have spent more time searching for, downloading and installing mods then playing the actual game this week! I don't CARE where it is downloaded from. What I meant by the word HOSTED in the title is not where the file is located, but where the INFORMATION ABOUT THE MOD is located. Where is that mods, and more specifically, mod author's, "Home"? Unfortunately the answer for nearly everyone is "The Forum" which I purposely did not put as a choice as a forum is not designed to showcase anything and is hell to search though.

I want to help fix this issue in some way but all I seem to be doing is ruffling feathers of the people who apparently love this chaos. But I won't give up. I have sent a message over to SirCmpwn of Kerbal Stuff offering my assistance on that site and I am drafting a proposal for a Mod Library (sort of like the thread I posted only on a larger scale) to give to Majiir.

You guys might not care about the current state of things, but I know they could be better and I am going to do what I can to help

PS: For the record, Curse sucks

What I meant by the word HOSTED in the title is not where the file is located, but where the INFORMATION ABOUT THE MOD is located.

The forums, here. Search needs an overhaul but it is otherwise a decent platform for me. As far as keeping track of stuff I generally download all my mods for a version once they're been updated, stuff them into a build folder, and update as I encounter bugs and not bother otherwise (one of the reasons I hate auto-update checkers, nag buttons, etc...) I mean, if I were updating all my mods whenever they updated, I'd be downloading something every night, and that's just annoying.

The forums, here. Search needs an overhaul but it is otherwise a decent platform for me. As far as keeping track of stuff I generally download all my mods for a version once they're been updated, stuff them into a build folder, and update as I encounter bugs and not bother otherwise (one of the reasons I hate auto-update checkers, nag buttons, etc...) I mean, if I were updating all my mods whenever they updated, I'd be downloading something every night, and that's just annoying.

But you still have to check each of your mods individualy for updates before you do your build folder, correct?

That was his point , to make it easier . I would propose a common topic template for all mods posted on this forum, which can eliminated the chaos if followed. Maybe we can all vote on it and see what can fit best.

But you still have to check each of your mods individualy for updates before you do your build folder, correct?

That was his point , to make it easier . I would propose a common topic template for all mods posted on this forum, which can eliminated the chaos if followed. Maybe we can all vote on it and see what can fit best.

The most common paradigm seems to include KSP version and last updated date in the title of the mod's thread. This means a title search on the forums can easily tell you if the mod has been updated for the current KSP version and, if not, you can always read the OP (a grand idea IMO, that plenty of people seem to ignore). I just updated my build folder this morning using that method, found all my mods in good working order except for the three or four outliers that are always outliers. Certainly there are better ways to do it, but it would be a shame if the forum threads went away. Maybe I'm just hidebound because I update my mods so infrequently and the few that I pay really close attention to I have Git clones of...

Voted the Same for the same reasons.

I originally voted for NexusMods as I use them to mod all of my other games and know they have a very good system in place. But it seems the Kerbals of Kerbin have spoken and they want to build their own so I am am behind KS 100% now

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.