KSP Plugin Songs! (Current Song: SUN)

BagelRabbit

Hello, everyone!

So, a couple of days ago, Blizzy78 said that he would be happy to make a plugin for KSP showcasing my songs. Needless to say, I was thrilled. However, if such a plugin is made, I'm going to need to create somewhere north of twenty pieces!

As a result, I'm changing the focus of this thread. Instead of being focused on one specific piece, it will instead showcase a variety of the pieces that I make for this plugin.

If you play an instrument well and want to help out, please PM me. (I'm already going to use the talented Avera9eJoe for percussion.)

...and if you have any ideas of what "style" to use for certain planets' songs, I'm very open to suggestions there.

Quick recap: Here's the last piece I did on the forum, which had an interesting vibe to it.

...and now, here's the first song: DUNA. It's loosely based off of a song that Nassault used frequently, and that can be heard in the second half of Jeb. I absolutely love that piece, so I tried to create some music that resembled it. The final product that I made actually turned out reasonably well.

Without further ado, here's DUNA, for your listening convenience! (Sorry for the meh quality of the video, I made it in about ten minutes.)

If you want to download this piece, I have no qualms about that. You'll have to rename it (it was originally titled July 11 because of the date that it was made), and it's in a bit of a clunky format because I can't figure out how to change that, but here you go:

Download Link! Let me know what you think, and whether or not the download link is working!

Also, Avera9eJoe added an excellent percussion track, for a very nice cover! Here's the video of that, sorry that I can't embed a video... there's a five-video limit on this post :huh:

...and here's an MP3 download for that.

Here's EVE! It's got an otherworldly vibe to it, and is muted [as a result of Eve's thick atmosphere]. It's quite different than Duna, but it's nice in its own way :) Also it uses the "B" section of the KSP Theme extensively, which is unique. Hope you enjoy -

Audio file is HERE!

Here's DRES! It's pretty nice, and it's very sad. Hope you like it -

Audio file is HERE!

...and here's MINMUS! It's got loads of reverb and is a bit different from the rest -

Audio file is HERE!

LATEST SONG: MOHO!

Audio file is HERE!

Thanks for watching! I hope you like what you see. :)

Edited by UpsilonAerospace

OH MY GOSH YES!

Mister Upsilon sir, could i please use this beautiful music piece in one of my videos? It will come in so much handy :)

But of course! My music is free to use for everyone. :)

Thanks for the enthusiasm about this music! I'm glad you like it.

Hello!

A couple of quick notes on this song (heh heh... notes... get it? oh, never mind)

I recorded this on a Macbook laptop with Garageband. I recorded it in a quiet room in my house. No recording studio here! :)

I actually played all of the tracks except the bass line. I am relatively decent at violin.

The percussion was me hitting the table that the laptop was on.

All in all, this was an immensely low-budget affair. I'm really very surprised that it turned out sounding like anything reasonable, at all. :D

Can anyone tell me whether the download link is working? That would be much appreciated.

Not bad, SpaceSphereOfDeath! I still personally prefer your version of "Kerbin" though, it's really nice.

Sorry if I seemed harsh in my critique, by the way. I just was trying to be honest, and to give you things to improve on. :)

Still wondering whether the download link works. Also, some people on my YouTube channel have said that they want an iTunes file of this, but I'm not entirely sure how to make one work. I barely know anything when it comes to posting music, despite the fact that I make plenty of it. That's never a good combination. :rolleyes:

If I find a way to make an iTunes download (or if some kind soul tells me how), I'm going to put the link to it on the original post.

Not bad, SpaceSphereOfDeath! I still personally prefer your version of "Kerbin" though, it's really nice.

Sorry if I seemed harsh in my critique, by the way. I just was trying to be honest, and to give you things to improve on. :)

Not be sorry, I'm not the kind of person that takes everything personally, oh and [joke]UR MUS1K SUXZZZ l3l3l3l3l[/joke]. I just like the feedback (it also quite important, as it's also me practicing for my music GCSE, so it's important that I get it right)

This thing just got Stickied.

My god, this is unbelievable.

Trying to convince myself that this is real, and not just some sort of dream.

Thank you so much for your compliments and suggestions, everyone! I really appreciate it. :D

Make it stock devs. Let the community give you free music to use. I want to land on duna to this jam

imagine this as all caps, it wont let me.

also, the ksp official facebook posted it too btw OP

ITS BASED ON THAT SONG!?! DUDE! Sorry I love that song in Jeb! Glsd to know I'm not the only :).

R4ptor if the devs wants free music, I'm all for helping as a percussionist, Jazz and rock drummer, and modest pianist. I'd quote your comment but phones are wierd.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Hello, everyone!

So, a couple of days ago, Blizzy78 said that he would be happy to make a plugin for KSP showcasing my songs. Needless to say, I was thrilled. However, if such a plugin is made, I'm going to need to create somewhere north of twenty pieces!

As a result, I'm changing the focus of this thread. Instead of being focused on one specific piece, it will instead showcase a variety of the pieces that I make for this plugin.

If you play an instrument well and want to help out, please PM me. (I'm already going to use the talented Avera9eJoe for percussion.)

...and if you have any ideas of what "style" to use for certain planets' songs, I'm very open to suggestions there.

I'm looking forwards to this... wish me luck! :)

What I would love to see is every celestial body having its own theme of sorts, with different pieces for in-orbit and landed. Not required though, that's just my personal dream :)

My dream too ;). Though as we all know this will take a good team of musicians and many different instruments (or a few good music software users) to get it done right. I'm in it for the long hall and I hope to see a good few others as well.

We'll need a plan of attack for getting music for all planets. Three options in mind:

1. Make music for whatever body in whatever order suits your imagination.

2. Make music for each atmosphere/landing, and then surface finishing each planet completely before the next one starts.

3. Finish all atmosphere/landing songs before surface songs. Whatever order suits with planet priority over moons (other than the Mun).

I say either one or three. ALSO: is the music going to play dynamically depending on player situation (like pound and intense when ship is burning through atmosphere and calm when you touch down), or just one track that starts when you enter the atmosphere? This is more of a modding question than a musicians I think so, what d'ya say Blizzy98? My dream is for dynamic music but it would be way more difficult to program I think. Maybe a Skype/TS 15 minute planning session?

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Three options in mind:

I think the approach here should be to determine how much time is spent where. From my own personal play style, I'm often spending much more time in orbit than on the ground. But of course, that may be totally different for others. In any case, I'm not so sure about "landing/in atmosphere." Usually landings are pretty short, a few minutes max. The longest time between "on ground" and "in orbit" would be spent in airplanes, I guess, where it's rather difficult to enjoy music because of the engine noise. So my suggestion would be to concentrate on "orbit" and "ground" first.

As for the order, I don't prefer one over the other. Perhaps Kerbin, Mun and Minmus should be done first, because those are what most players will go to first, but then it would be up to you. Maybe do it in the order of distance from Kerbin.

ALSO: is the music going to play dynamically depending on player situation (like pound and intense when ship is burning through atmosphere and calm when you touch down), or just one track that starts when you enter the atmosphere?

I'd rather go for static pieces first, before spending much time on dynamic tracks, if at all. Of course those would be cool to have, but from what I've read about other games that have those, they are pretty difficult to get right - not necessarily because of the programming, but it needs to fit the action well - and ideally, it would be possible to seamlessly blend from one mood of the track to another. So I really think that's way more work than static pieces, and is just too time consuming.

---

Just to note, and I also wrote that in response to a PM from UpsilonAerospace - this is what I would love to see (hear) when all is said and done:

- 15 celestial bodies you can land on, at least 2 tracks each for "ground", with some kind of "regular" mood

- 17 celestial bodies you can orbit, at least 2 tracks each for "orbit", with some kind of "quiet/lonely" mood

- all tracks for each celestial body would share a common theme

- 2-3 tracks for special locations/edge cases (interplanetary Sun orbit; Armstrong memorial; ...)

-> 66+ tracks total

This list is my dream of it all :) I know this would be a LOT of work. :(

I'm no composer or anything like that, but I do enjoy good game music :)

Of course we could (and should) start with way less, say 10 tracks total, and play those in a random fashion, regardless of current location. We can always add more.

I think the approach here should be to determine how much time is spent where. From my own personal play style, I'm often spending much more time in orbit than on the ground. But of course, that may be totally different for others. In any case, I'm not so sure about "landing/in atmosphere." Usually landings are pretty short, a few minutes max. The longest time between "on ground" and "in orbit" would be spent in airplanes, I guess, where it's rather difficult to enjoy music because of the engine noise. So my suggestion would be to concentrate on "orbit" and "ground" first.
Perhaps Kerbin, Mun and Minmus should be done first,

I agree exactly. We can start with Kerbin's SOI. I spend more time in orbit than ground too. For the mean time, Upsilons last song can be a great guinea pig for a "Kerbin orbital track" and can totally be used in a final version too. Static is definitely what to do now if not always.

Just to note, and I also wrote that in response to a PM from UpsilonAerospace - this is what I would love to see (hear) when all is said and done:

- 15 celestial bodies you can land on, at least 2 tracks each for "ground", with some kind of "regular" mood

- 17 celestial bodies you can orbit, at least 2 tracks each for "orbit", with some kind of "quiet/lonely" mood

- 2-3 tracks for special locations/edge cases (interplanetary Sun orbit; Armstrong memorial; ...)

-> 66+ tracks total

Of course we could (and should) start with way less, say 10 tracks total, and play those in a random fashion, regardless of current location. We can always add more.

Songs for monoliths would be super cool! Maybe even a recording of the apollo 11 "eagle has landed" for the memorial and comical reference tracks for when you near anomalies (those would be good place holders too). We'll create music as we have time, you can use placeholders in the mean time. There's plenty of great CC music that can fit the mood right now too - though not designed specifically for KSP.

As to the dream, I love it. BUT we'll need a LOT more musicians if we are to create 66+ tracks. Violin and percussion for 66+ songs isn't something I see as entertaining and I think we can all agree on that xD. Many songs don't need percussion (I was pushing it on DUNA). Same with other instruments. Step one is to get Kerbins SOI tested and fixed up. Then we see about everything else. PM all the musicians that could possibly help xD. That includes online music makers/mixers/. I think I'll experiment with the KSP theme in the mean time. After all, it IS the game main theme and it would make a good theme line in tracks.

As for the order, I don't prefer one over the other. Perhaps Kerbin, Mun and Minmus should be done first, because those are what most players will go to first, but then it would be up to you. Maybe do it in the order of distance from Kerbin.

I would like to approach this kinda like what you said... I think that one of my first priorities, however, is making music that plays while landed on a certain object. After those tracks are done, it would be nice to make tracks that play in atmo, if these tracks are needed at all. Probably the last thing to do would be the "orbit" tracks, as there are already some reasonably good generic orbital tracks in the game (though they're not specific to any planet).

I'd rather go for static pieces first, before spending much time on dynamic tracks, if at all. Of course those would be cool to have, but from what I've read about other games that have those, they are pretty difficult to get right - not necessarily because of the programming, but it needs to fit the action well - and ideally, it would be possible to seamlessly blend from one mood of the track to another. So I really think that's way more work than static pieces, and is just too time consuming.

Understood. Adding dynamic tracks would be really cool if we could get it to work properly, though. Would you consider dynamic tracks as an eventual goal to work towards, or as an unfeasible plan that probably shouldn't be pursued?

-> 66+ tracks total

I would recommend starting with a single piece for each planet, along with the Mun and Minmus, that plays when landed. This won't be a very large load (nine pieces counting Dres and Eeloo) but it will be a very solid start, and will be pretty easy to build off of. Just my $0.02 here. (I personally also want a distinct track for the VAB and for the SPH, along with the "special locations" that you've mentioned.)

As to the dream, I love it. BUT we'll need a LOT more musicians if we are to create 66+ tracks. Violin and percussion for 66+ songs isn't something I see as entertaining and I think we can all agree on that xD. Many songs don't need percussion (I was pushing it on DUNA). Same with other instruments. Step one is to get Kerbins SOI tested and fixed up. Then we see about everything else. PM all the musicians that could possibly help xD. That includes online music makers/mixers/. I think I'll experiment with the KSP theme in the mean time. After all, it IS the game main theme and it would make a good theme line in tracks.

I do think that we need all the musicians we can possibly get. As cool as violin (or percussion) is, it would get old after a few pieces.

I've been experimenting around with the KSP theme a bit as well, sometimes to extremes...

I made this piece a little while back. It's a bit of an experimental thing. (You know, looking back on this, some variation of this original theme would go pretty well with Jool. :) )

Keep those thinking caps on, folks! I think that if we can pull this plugin off, it will be awesome.

Edited by UpsilonAerospace

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.