Seeking help modifying stock parts.

Flip665

hey guys. let me first start off by apologizing if this isn't the proper location for this post as some people get really annoyed at that. and since ive looked for a more suitable place for 10 minutes with no luck, ive settled for this location... so here goes...

since the recent rash of updates, ive found that most mods can keep up or seem to be dead all together, so ive decided to do a little editing of stock parts to suit some niche needs... my problem lies in copying stock parts so I don't lose the stock functionality. for example I would like to rescale the lv909 engine and tweak thrust/isp values (or the small solid booster)... then I load the game and see the part in the vab and it says part needs purchase in tech tree, no problem, I go unlock it/back to vab/part needs purchase in tech tree... what the heck, I go back to the tech tree and it says I own it but there is a new model that says I don't... long story short is I cant use the part in the vab or hanger, it still says I need to purchase it in the tech tree, and ive got seven engines in the tech tree that are unlocked but nonexistent... in the part file I changed the name, description, and values as well as the folder name... ive since deleted this folder but all the engines in the tech tree were still there until I cleaned it all out and started over ... can someone point me in the right direction here, im mildly frustrated at having 700 hours in this game and being on year one day one...

thanks

Edited by Flip665
misspelling

hey guys. let me first start off by apologizing if this isn't the proper location for this post as some people get really annoyed at that. and since ive looked for a more suitable place for 10 minutes with no luck, ive settled for this location... so here goes...

since the recent rash of updates, ive found that most mods can keep up or seem to be dead all together, so ive decided to do a little editing of stock parts to suit some niche needs... my problem lies in copying stock parts so I don't lose the stock functionality. for example I would like to rescale the lv909 engine and tweak thrust/isp values (or the small solid booster)... then I load the game and see the part in the vab and it says part needs purchase in tech tree, no problem, I go unlock it/back to vab/part needs purchase in tech tree... what the heck, I go back to the tech tree and it says I own it but there is a new model that says I don't... long story short is I cant use the part in the vab or hanger, it still says I need to purchase it in the tech tree, and ive got seven engines in the tech tree that are unlocked but nonexistent... in the part file I changed the name, description, and values as well as the folder name... ive since deleted this folder but all the engines in the tech tree were still there until I cleaned it all out and started over ... can someone point me in the right direction here, im mildly frustrated at having 700 hours in this game and being on year one day one...

thanks

That is because you didn't change the name of the part. If it sees a duplicate name it defaults to the base version and will not unlock the other version. Usually what I do is put a -1 or -A beside the name of the object to change it enough so the game will register it as something else.

Hello Flip665. Your post will mostly likely receive helpful responses here in the modding sub-forums, where people who have done similar things will see your question and possibly be able to give you the benefit of their experience. And so, your question has been relocated. :)

When you pop open the config there should be a line at the top (Just after part) that says "name = " you want to change that (You should also change the line before the part description so you can tell them apart in the part list)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.