[1.9-1.10] Hangar

allista

[b]Do you use the [u]Desaturated Texture Pack?[/u][/b]  

326 members have voted

1. 1. [b]Do you use the [u]Desaturated Texture Pack?[/u][/b]

• Yes, the grey textures are more stock-like
    • No, the green-orange textures are fine

ScienceAlert or no, the current version of Hangar appears to mess up the science and biome system of KSP. If you deploy a probe from a ship named "HangarShip" with a hangar, and then check which biome the probe is in (using mechjeb, scansat or other mod, or just by doing a biome-sensitive science experiment), the biome will read as the name of the ship which the probe was deployed from. From that point on, the probe is stuck in this nonexistent glitch-biome, wherever you might take it. Obviously the probe's state has become corrupted somehow by being deployed from the hangar.

What is worse, even if you completely get rid of the hangar "mothership", the probe will be stuck in the biome it created, and if you at that point shut down KSP, uninstall Hangar, and then restart KSP and load the saved game with the probes, the game will enter a completely glitched-out state where nothing will happen if you click most of the KSC facilities, none of the buttons in the main menu will work, and if you enter the science facility (one of the few that responds when clicked upon), you can't get back out from it again. Your only way out is to force-close KSP. Reinstalling Hangar again is the only way to get the corrupted save file to work. Getting rid of the corrupted probe might fix the savegame so it will work even without Hangar installed, but I have not verified this.

Wow... never thought it may be that bad :confused:

I will investigate the issue ASAP. Meanwhile I would appreciate if you send me the logs and the corrupted savegame.

Wow... never thought it may be that bad :confused:

I will investigate the issue ASAP. Meanwhile I would appreciate if you send me the logs and the corrupted savegame.

I tried to recreate the glitch in a savegame while keeping it as vanilla as I could. I was only partially successful, however, in that the two probes deployed from the mothership are now perma-stuck in the biome "Hangar mothership" (a ship which no longer exists, I terminated it after deployment), but the game did not get stuck in the game-breaking glitch after restarting without Hangar installed. I'm guessing that problem might have arisen through some interaction between Hangar and another mod I used in my career game at the time, such as ScienceAlert or Science Library (Hangar interacts with it as well, I think).

Since I've updated ScienceAlert to the fixed version, I can't really test it now (might get back to some further experimentation later but I'm in bit of a hurry right now. Unfortunately I can't provide the savegame I made for the same reason, but it should take you no more than 15 minutes to recreate the scenario. I suggest using HyperEdit to get the hangar ship into orbit quickly.

Edited by Anbalsilfer
Typo/format

I did a quick check in my install (sandbox, lots of mods but nothing really that alters the science system like ScienceAlert) and I couldn't recreate this bug. I built a hanger, stuffed it with some probes, and launched it into space. Then I deployed a probe. The probe updated biomes properly as it orbited Kerbin.

I'll continue playing with it and if I do come across it I'll try and let you know what I did differently.

I have the sandbox save and craft files if any of those seem useful, but since it's just a negative report I'm guessing probably not so much...

Hmm, that is really weird, because the bug shows up consistently for me. I just removed all my mods and started a new career game with only Hangar installed, and repeated the same procedure, and again all my launched probes got stuck in the glitched biome.

What method did you use to check the biome? Note that it is the surface biome that gets stuck, so you really must use the gravioli detector or a mod to see it. For me, the biome I get when using the gravioli is "Gravity Scan from space just above Kerbin's Hangar rocket".

I finally got around to testing the appearance of hangars with uncompressed vs. compressed normals (this is with 2.0 in 0.25, but I expect results on 0.90 will be similar). With uncompressed normals (and other textures compressed), ATM's Hangar folder weighs in at 118 MB. With compressed normals, it weighs in at 8.6 MB. I'll let you judge the difference in appearance for yourself, but I mainly notice some fuzzing of sharp lines (what I assume are meant to be plate boundaries and rivet holes) and a little messiness creeping in to the edges of the cupola windows:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

All in all, compressing normals heavily reduces memory overhead (that's 110 MB of MOAR MODS), and doesn't hurt visual quality too much. If I ever need stupendous visual quality, I'll just make an alternate install without normal compression and only install whatever mods I need to load a particular vessel (or just install Linux for 64 bits of KSP goodness).

Hmm, that is really weird, because the bug shows up consistently for me. I just removed all my mods and started a new career game with only Hangar installed, and repeated the same procedure, and again all my launched probes got stuck in the glitched biome.

What method did you use to check the biome? Note that it is the surface biome that gets stuck, so you really must use the gravioli detector or a mod to see it. For me, the biome I get when using the gravioli is "Gravity Scan from space just above Kerbin's Hangar rocket".

Related to what you were talking about earlier, I also had the issue where removing the Hangar directory corrupted my (career) save - could load the game, but not the space center scene, after removing Hangar between play sessions. Removing Hangar was the only change.

Sorry for my absence -- to much work this week.

I confirm the problem. The Gravioli experiment does indeed indicate the mothership's name as a planet's biome. And I think I've found the way to fix it in my code. Will try to release the fix this night.

I finally got around to testing the appearance of hangars with uncompressed vs. compressed normals (this is with 2.0 in 0.25, but I expect results on 0.90 will be similar). With uncompressed normals (and other textures compressed), ATM's Hangar folder weighs in at 118 MB. With compressed normals, it weighs in at 8.6 MB. I'll let you judge the difference in appearance for yourself, but I mainly notice some fuzzing of sharp lines (what I assume are meant to be plate boundaries and rivet holes) and a little messiness creeping in to the edges of the cupola windows.

All in all, compressing normals heavily reduces memory overhead (that's 110 MB of MOAR MODS), and doesn't hurt visual quality too much. If I ever need stupendous visual quality, I'll just make an alternate install without normal compression and only install whatever mods I need to load a particular vessel (or just install Linux for 64 bits of KSP goodness).

Thanks for the test! The difference in visual quality as well as in RAM usage is easily seen. I reckon it is up to users of ATM then to enable/disable normals compression. I've added the ATM config to the Hagar installation, so it's easy to do it. And I will continue to try to downscale and merge textures where possible.

Related to what you were talking about earlier, I also had the issue where removing the Hangar directory corrupted my (career) save - could load the game, but not the space center scene, after removing Hangar between play sessions. Removing Hangar was the only change.

I cannot reproduce this thus far. I believe more than a several orbiting ships with hangars and content are needed. With a simple setting the only thing that happens is the messages that the ships contain non existent parts and are thus removed from the game.

I cannot reproduce this thus far. I believe more than a several orbiting ships with hangars and content are needed. With a simple setting the only thing that happens is the messages that the ships contain non existent parts and are thus removed from the game.

I actually had no ships with any hangar parts - even saved ships. Nothing in flight. Just removing the Hangar directory from GameData wrecked the save. Sorry I can't provide more info. It may have been interaction with another mod, since I had many active in that save.

Great mod, having fun with the hangars but was wondering how I could set up my own. I tried to look at the hangar parts for how to create my own as I wanted to try and make a "helipad" for use with an airship mod but cant see how you set the allowed mass, volume, docking site, ect. I thought I saw a few pages back where you added the ability to a MK 2 cargo bay, so I thought it would be possible. Is there any kind of documentation on how to set them up or did I over looking something?

Great mod, having fun with the hangars but was wondering how I could set up my own. I tried to look at the hangar parts for how to create my own as I wanted to try and make a "helipad" for use with an airship mod but cant see how you set the allowed mass, volume, docking site, ect. I thought I saw a few pages back where you added the ability to a MK 2 cargo bay, so I thought it would be possible. Is there any kind of documentation on how to set them up or did I over looking something?

It's not that hard, but it takes some time to explain, so it's better to write proper docs for modders with screenshots and all.

And if you're not in a hurry I would rather do it after the NY. Right now there's too much work and presents hunting :confused:

I can't seem to figure out if I have messed up my docking port parts or something, but I cannot seem to get a docking port to connect to the node inside the hanger in VAB. Am I getting something wrong? What if I want my payload to start with a docking port?

How did I not know about this?! I love you, and my efforts at deploying 6-8 satellites at a time loves you.

Glad it's helpful :)

I can't seem to figure out if I have messed up my docking port parts or something, but I cannot seem to get a docking port to connect to the node inside the hanger in VAB. Am I getting something wrong? What if I want my payload to start with a docking port?

Hm... I think I know the reason and the solution:

Stock docking ports are surface-attachable by default. This means that they stick to any (this is just a bad implementation by Squad) collider you point to with the mouse. Inline hangars have their trigger colliders running along their axis, so a docking port is probably sticking to the surface of a trigger, instead of attaching to the docking port node. To overcome this you may use EditorExtensions to temporarily disable surface attachment. I personally use EE from the first day of playing KSP and haven't really noticed the problem until now, so thank you for bringing my attention to it. Will add it to Known Issues.

I'm still having the problem where, if you remove the Hangar folder from GameData, it will corrupt your career save and produce the can't-click-on-the-VAB, can't exit the admin building etc. bug as described here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/220200/discussions/0/626329187149000855/. Replacing the Hangar folder fixes it. Sorry, no log, because the most recent was from the one that worked. It may be interaction with another mod, who knows, but it's still there.

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

I'm still having the problem where, if you remove the Hangar folder from GameData, it will corrupt your career save and produce the can't-click-on-the-VAB, can't exit the admin building etc. bug as described here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/220200/discussions/0/626329187149000855/. Replacing the Hangar folder fixes it. Sorry, no log, because the most recent was from the one that worked. It may be interaction with another mod, who knows, but it's still there.

Understood. Will work on this first thing after the NY.

Hey Allista, I've been having lots of random crashes since I've installed this mod (thread on the crashes: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/105737-Lots-of-crashes-at-random-times-modded-install?p=1642835#post1642835 ) and I suspect that this mod might be causing it, but not 100% sure. Theres nothing directly pointing to it, just that they kind of started a lot after I installed the hangar mod.

Hey Allista, I've been having lots of random crashes since I've installed this mod (thread on the crashes: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/105737-Lots-of-crashes-at-random-times-modded-install?p=1642835#post1642835 ) and I suspect that this mod might be causing it, but not 100% sure. Theres nothing directly pointing to it, just that they kind of started a lot after I installed the hangar mod.

Your logs say "out of memory". Don't know how you've managed to run out of it on 64bit system, but then again, it is said that Win64-KSP is buggy beyond measure and Win's 64bit support is crippled.

Well, I have B9 Aerospace for one, and the stock revamp. Plus I'm using a laptop, but I don't think that would affect anything.

Steve_v said to get the ATM pack, which I'm having it go through it's first load atm.

Edited by smjjames

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.