[1.9-1.10] Hangar

allista

[b]Do you use the [u]Desaturated Texture Pack?[/u][/b]  

326 members have voted

1. 1. [b]Do you use the [u]Desaturated Texture Pack?[/u][/b]

• Yes, the grey textures are more stock-like
    • No, the green-orange textures are fine

Sorry, I should have clarified that I have not yet tested the latest version of the hangar. My last career in KSP (with hangar, of course) was... 3-4 months ago. Also my craft files (if I could find one) would be riddled with parts from various mods. So definitely not a clean reproduction of a bug. 

I suspect (but this is just my uneducated guess) that when the game loads in a ship with... considerable partcount inside a ship with... more parts, some lag occurs and the ships end up clipping briedly even when it should not mathematically happen. 

Other problem is that some of my ships do not hold constant heading, but instead wobble around a bit. Unbalanced reaction wheels or something. So soon after when the ship from hangar spawns, the mothership turns a bit and clips into the ship. Of course, this is fixed by just turning of SAS. Can't say that this is a fault of your mod.

I remember trying to use VTOL hangar(?) in space, but I think it required the ship to be landed? The asteroid gateway might work for me quite well. I had not tested it, since I thought it requires an actual asteroid to function:)

Edited by Anth
double paste:P

39 minutes ago, Anth said:

3-4 months ago.

Nothing much changed since then.

38 minutes ago, Anth said:

So definitely not a clean reproduction of a bug. 

Still, it's what you're playing with and it doesn't work. Could you maybe make a video of an incident you describe?

39 minutes ago, Anth said:

some lag occurs and the ships end up clipping briedly even when it should not mathematically happen. 

Until the launched ship is loaded and unpacked (i.e. goes to the physical simulation mode) the hangar controls its position/rotation itself, so even if your mothership is rotating or moving, it shouldn't be a problem. The launched ship will get it's momentum and spin in the end.

41 minutes ago, Anth said:

I thought it requires an actual asteroid to function:)

It does require an asteroid and the hangar hatch and the square docking port to function, yea. I'm planning to add an appropriate hangar extension though, so that the asteroid gateway could be used without asteroids.

9 hours ago, Anth said:

When using hangar my greatest problem with it is that I jam too large ships in too small hangars. They fit inside the hangar going in, but more often than not instantly collide with the mothership coming out of the hangar:) 
Also, like said above, some hangars do not fit the visual style of the ships.

Do you remember if you were using a Ground Hangar at the time? I had something similar happen to me in my early days of using the mod. I placed a Ground Hangar inside of a Cargo Bay (to keep the visual style). And when it came time to bring the payload out of the Hangar/Cargo Bay combo, the vehicle collided with the mothership. Then I found out later that the Ground Hangars have passthrough floors - floors have no colliders or something. So when the payload emerges in a gravity environment, it will collide with the mothership. I fixed that by adding structural plates at the bottom of the Ground Hangar to "catch" the payload when it's launched.

It may be an awkward solution. But for me, it still keeps with the spirit of the mod - lower part counts = better game performance. A Ground Hangar plus 2-4 structural plates is still better than trying to fit a 20+ (or even way more) parts payload inside a Cargo Bay, and keeping everything stable during flight.

While on the subject of Ground Hangars (also Habitable Ground Hangars)... @Allista, is it possible for both of them to have Aspect controls as well? I guess I got spoiled by the other hangar types having both Size and Aspect controls.

As an aside, I still haven't gotten to my goal, and the reason that got me into using Hangars mod... Build an asteroid base :)

1 hour ago, bcqJC said:

is it possible for both of them to have Aspect controls as well?

Not with the current door animation: you see, resizing works literally by space metric distortion. When you set the size to 1 and aspect to 2 the 3D space of the part itself becomes distorted relative to the world space: each unit of length along x and z are equal to 1 unit of length in the world space; but 1 unit along the y axis becomes 2 units in world space. So... suppose you have a door in x-z plane; it is 5m along x and 3m along z; to open it, you rotate it around x... and its z dimension gradually becomes y; in the end the door is 5m-x to 6m-y. And believe me, this looks really, really awkward! :D

*if you didn't quite catch this, just edit the ground hangar's config: GameData/Hangar/Parts/SmallHangar.cfg

and see for yourself :wink:

MODULE
    {
        name = AnisotropicPartResizer
        sizeOnly = true //remove this line

But if the doors do not rotate across y dimension (like with radial hangar), you can change aspect. So it's possible to make a ground hangar with, say, sliding doors...

Edited by allista

Thanks for the explanation... I keep learning new things. Please disregard that request then. I already use the Radial Hangar since it allows resizing Size and Aspect. Now I know why it works there, and why it has sliding doors.

I requested the change to the ground hangar because I was looking for a hangar that will fit inside a cargo bay that has a rectangular cross-section like some of the OPT or MarkIV cargo bays.

Yes, something similar to a ground hangar with sliding doors is perfect. It'll just be like the Radial Hangar, Size and Aspect can be changed, but rectangular instead of square cross-section.

I am having a slight issue with this mod. When I undock a ship, any ship really. I even tried with my tiny little space bike, I get a message saying the vessel cannot be stored and there isn't enough space. Even with the hold empty. Is this a common error or is there a fix for this? Current version 1.7.2 most updated Hangar mod. Both dlcs.

10 hours ago, allista said:

Undock? Could you, please, elaborate the situation?

I guess spawn in. Everything spawns in fine. Minus my sideways rover that clips and blows up (I see rotation coming soon anyways) but nothing will re-enter the hangar. It always says its full. I've tried with a little 2.5 ton bike that takes up very little space.

Edit: I tested again. After a mod update it now accepts ships, but only if its less than 50% full. I have a ship thats ~60% of the volume and one thats 1.9% it wont take the 1.9% one back in even though I can add it as contents in the vab/sph

Edited by Death Genie

41 minutes ago, Death Genie said:

I guess spawn in. Everything spawns in fine. Minus my sideways rover that clips and blows up (I see rotation coming soon anyways) but nothing will re-enter the hangar. It always says its full. I've tried with a little 2.5 ton bike that takes up very little space.

Edit: I tested again. After a mod update it now accepts ships, but only if its less than 50% full. I have a ship thats ~60% of the volume and one thats 1.9% it wont take the 1.9% one back in even though I can add it as contents in the vab/sph

Percent of the volume used is not the thing to look at: it shows literally how much volume of the whole hangar space this particular ship occupies. But since ships are not liquefied in hangars, you can't fill a hangar to 100% unless ship's geometry exactly matches the shape and size of the space. 50% is actually pretty good packing for a single ship.

The more important and strict constraint is that the ship should geometrically fit inside the space. But with parts like rover wheels (which have suspension) and antennas and such it's indeed possible to fit in editor what would not fit in flight, because it actually got a little bigger after spawning (year, undocking would be a good term, but it's linked with docking ports too tightly).

Need to see actual ships (screens, video, craft files) to tell you precisely what's going on, or if it's indeed a bug...

UPD: also there are some weirdly modeled animated parts with SkinRenderers who's size is hard to estimate; the known cases are drills, but they're blacklisted already and their dimensions are measured separately. But you never know with mods what else can you encounter.

Edited by allista

9 minutes ago, allista said:

Percent of the volume used is not the thing to look at: it shows literally how much volume of the whole hangar space this particular ship occupies. But since ships are not liquefied in hangars, you can't fill a hangar to 100% unless ship's geometry exactly matches the shape and size of the space. 50% is actually pretty good packing for a single ship.

The more important and strict constraint is that the ship should geometrically fit inside the space. But with parts like rover wheels (which have suspension) and antennas and such it's indeed possible to fit in editor what would not fit in flight, because it actually got a little bigger after spawning (year, undocking would be a good term, but it's linked with docking ports too tightly).

Need to see actual ships (screens, video, craft files) to tell you precisely what's going on, or if it's indeed a bug...

Ahh. Okay, I think originally I was having a mod conflict. Since updating that mod it at least accepts stuff. With this explanation I understand perfectly why it wont fit. Its *probably* small enough to fit with my other ship, but that one takes up 58% capacity and when actually spawned in takes up the hangar almost end to end with just a bit of space at the back. I took some screenies if you'd still like them, but I dont want to waste your time since its probably not a bug.

Edited by Death Genie

Testing:

GameData\Hangar\TechTreeParts_RP-1.cfg

@PART[HangarResizeLimit0]:NEEDS[RP-0]:AFTER[Hangar]
{
    @TechRequired = earlyMaterialsScience
	%RP0conf = true
}

@PART[HangarResizeLimit1]:NEEDS[RP-0]:AFTER[Hangar]
{
    @TechRequired = postWarMaterialsScience
	%RP0conf = true
}

@PART[HangarResizeLimit2]:NEEDS[RP-0]:AFTER[Hangar]
{
    @TechRequired = materialsScienceSatellite
	%RP0conf = true
}

@PART[HangarResizeLimit3]:NEEDS[RP-0]:AFTER[Hangar]
{
    @TechRequired = materialsScienceHuman
	%RP0conf = true
}

@PART[HangarResizeLimit4]:NEEDS[RP-0]:AFTER[Hangar]
{
    @TechRequired = materialsScienceAdvCapsules
	%RP0conf = true
}

@PART[InflatableHangar1Omni]:NEEDS[RP-0,RemoteTech]:AFTER[Hangar]
{
    @TechRequired = lunarRangeComms
	%RP0conf = true
}

@PART[RoverLanderOmni]:NEEDS[RP-0,RemoteTech]:AFTER[Hangar]
{
	%RP0conf = true
}

@PART[Hangar1Omni]:NEEDS[RP-0,RemoteTech]:AFTER[Hangar]
{
	%RP0conf = true
}

@PART[InflatableHangar2Omni]:NEEDS[RP-0,RemoteTech]:AFTER[Hangar]
{
    @TechRequired = interplanetaryComms
	%RP0conf = true
}

9 hours ago, Death Genie said:

I took some screenies if you'd still like them, but I dont want to waste your time since its probably not a bug.

Always interesting to look at things people make; and want to be sure nothing's wrong.

On 6/29/2019 at 1:44 AM, allista said:

Always interesting to look at things people make; and want to be sure nothing's wrong.

The craft launching it turned out to be poorly designed so its been deorbited, but I'm building something epic at the moment involving hangars and later asteroids. I'll be sure to post it with my barely fitting science plane.

On 6/29/2019 at 1:44 AM, allista said:

Made a  5 kiloton Station and inserted it into Jool orbit to begin making crafts and serving as a hub for refuel. Holds over 200 kerbals. I believe the final count was 202. Two orbital kit crafters, several workshops, 8 radial hangars, two habitat inline hangars, four space docks, and two more regular inline hangars. After the final insertion around tylo it took a solid 2 hour burn to lower my apoapsis to a decent number. Saw a few Asteroids on the way, Might have to park one at the base for easy refueling access. Love the mods.

26 minutes ago, Death Genie said:

Made a  5 kiloton Station and inserted it into Jool orbit to begin making crafts and serving as a hub for refuel. Holds over 200 kerbals. I believe the final count was 202. Two orbital kit crafters, several workshops, 8 radial hangars, two habitat inline hangars, four space docks, and two more regular inline hangars. After the final insertion around tylo it took a solid 2 hour burn to lower my apoapsis to a decent number. Saw a few Asteroids on the way, Might have to park one at the base for easy refueling access. Love the mods.

Wow! The scale of it! :0.0:

I couldn't find the workshops though. Are three from GC or some other mod?

29 minutes ago, allista said:

Wow! The scale of it! :0.0:

I couldn't find the workshops though. Are three from GC or some other mod?

They were the ones from Kerbal Planetary Base systems. I used symmetry to line them up like circular pieces and offset the orbital building space bay to line up. Edit: This is in career mode. 54m to launch this not including astronauts. Which I gave myself, by 100 they'd be 8m a pop. Theres over 200 and a dozen ships docked in the hangars.

LQhBFrX.png

Edited by Death Genie

4 minutes ago, Death Genie said:

They were the ones from Kerbal Planetary Base systems. I used symmetry to line them up like circular pieces and offset the orbital building space bay to line up. 

LQhBFrX.png

Ah, I see. Neat! :D

Oh, the upscaled hangars's look awful ;.;

5 minutes ago, allista said:

Ah, I see. Neat! :D

Oh, the upscaled hangars's look awful ;.;

Can't do much about texture stretching.. I needed a few bigger ships because I'm doing the Jool 5. I just need some missions to pop up so I can get some money too xD This cost waay more than I got paid.

• 2 weeks later...

@everyone

Looking for maintainers (so basic understanding of KSP API and C#) to help me keep the mods up to date with the galloping KSP releases :confused:

If you think you know someone who can and want to help, pass the word, please :)

Still haven't had time to make proper releases of the whole batch, but for those of you waiting for the reorientation feature -- you can grab the nightbuilds here:

https://mega.nz/#F!X1AEUKwC!u3xLqpJ2-EJlF7BgGSUlrQ

This is more or less what is to be released, it's just that the corresponding changes to other mods are lagging.

Allista, I just out the nightbuild.

It doesn't work with the stock Mk2 Lander Can. I think it doesn't like that the Mk2 has a different orientation if the "Rover" variant is used. I'm able to adjust the orientation in the SPH but when launching the rover, it launches using the default orientation of the Mk2 Lander Can "Lander" variant. Which causes clipping between the Hangar and the vessel and a big explosion.

You can test by creating a rover using the Mk2 Lander Can and putting some wheels on it. Drive it around first before testing with a Hangar so you're sure that the orientation is correct.

There is a workaround though. If I use a probe core as the root part, attach the Mk2 Lander Can to that and build the rest around it.

1 hour ago, bcqJC said:

Allista, I just out the nightbuild.

It doesn't work with the stock Mk2 Lander Can. I think it doesn't like that the Mk2 has a different orientation if the "Rover" variant is used. I'm able to adjust the orientation in the SPH but when launching the rover, it launches using the default orientation of the Mk2 Lander Can "Lander" variant. Which causes clipping between the Hangar and the vessel and a big explosion.

You can test by creating a rover using the Mk2 Lander Can and putting some wheels on it. Drive it around first before testing with a Hangar so you're sure that the orientation is correct.

There is a workaround though. If I use a probe core as the root part, attach the Mk2 Lander Can to that and build the rest around it.

Thanks for the testing!

I didn't know part variants could have different orientations :0.0: This is the cost of playing the game too little :blush:

Just finished checking it out. Thanks for the fix!

TLDR... You'll notice in the screenshot that I'm using an upside down Ground Hangar nestled inside a cargo bay in my vessel. Being upside down, the Ground Hangar door slides to the floor.

I did this because if I use the Ground Hangar right side up, my rover will fall through the floor of the hangar and the cargo bay when launched. With the Hangar upside down, the hangar's roof acts as a solid floor.

7P05kKp.png

3 hours ago, bcqJC said:

if I use the Ground Hangar right side up, my rover will fall through the floor of the hangar and the cargo bay when launched. With the Hangar upside down, the hangar's roof acts as a solid floor.

:confused::confused::confused:

I know you've reported this previously, but... the difference between the floor and the roof?!

I need to test it!