[1.9-1.10] Hangar

allista

[b]Do you use the [u]Desaturated Texture Pack?[/u][/b]  

326 members have voted

1. 1. [b]Do you use the [u]Desaturated Texture Pack?[/u][/b]

• Yes, the grey textures are more stock-like
    • No, the green-orange textures are fine

On 7/18/2019 at 9:31 AM, bcqJC said:

if I use the Ground Hangar right side up, my rover will fall through the floor of the hangar and the cargo bay when launched. With the Hangar upside down, the hangar's roof acts as a solid floor.

Cannot reproduce this.

I didn't try to put the hangar inside a cargo bay, but the hangar suspended on launch clamps, landing legs, wheels and other parts is solid enough to launch a payload and catch it with its floor; even when moving on the ground.

Thank you for looking into this and sorry that I led you to a wild goose chase.

I reviewed all the mods I have installed and found out that it was WorldStabilizer that was causing the odd behaviour. I've removed it from my installed mods. I'll see if I can continue on without it. At least, if I ever need it again, I know I can use an inverted Hangar as a work-around.

12 hours ago, bcqJC said:

Thank you for looking into this and sorry that I led you to a wild goose chase.

I reviewed all the mods I have installed and found out that it was WorldStabilizer that was causing the odd behaviour. I've removed it from my installed mods. I'll see if I can continue on without it. At least, if I ever need it again, I know I can use an inverted Hangar as a work-around.

Good too know :)

Need to make a list of incompatibilities somewhere public, though.

20 hours ago, bcqJC said:

Wait...Wot??
Hmmm... WorldStabilizer is highly recommended right nao as a band-aid fix for several of the <broken> parts in OPT Main and Legacy... :(

Number 1, being the exact Humpback Cargo Tail you show in that pic @bcqJC ... without WS installed, any craft using that cargo tail, will spawn 1km altitude upon launch from the editor

Edited by Stone Blue

2 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Wait...Wot??
Hmmm... WorldStabilizer is highly recommended right nao as a band-aid fix for several of the <broken> parts in OPT Main and Legacy... :(

Number 1, being the exact Humpback Cargo Tail you show in that pic @bcqJC ... without WS installed, any craft using that cargo tail, will spawn 1km altitude upon launch from the editor

You're right! Tested it just now and I got a spectacular view of my ship rushing towards the runway cockpit first :) And a nice big explosion after.

I should start a journal of why I install mods. I completely forgot why I had to install WorldStabilizer.

At least, in my situation, I can keep doing the workaround of using an upside-down Ground Hangar.

Thanks!

On 7/13/2019 at 6:19 AM, allista said:

@everyone

Looking for maintainers (so basic understanding of KSP API and C#) to help me keep the mods up to date with the galloping KSP releases :confused:

If you think you know someone who can and want to help, pass the word, please :)

I have a basic understanding of C# I haven't used the KSP API at all though, how complex is it? My C# is rusty, most of my understanding of programming has been in Java.

5 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Wait...Wot??

I don't have WorldStabilizer installed and just launched a single stage to jool with that cargo tail, no issue. Have hangar installed and many others. Maybe its caused by a different mod conflict?

Edited by Death Genie

12 hours ago, Death Genie said:

have a basic understanding of C# I haven't used the KSP API at all though, how complex is it? My C# is rusty, most of my understanding of programming has been in Java.

You can scan though, say, Configurable Containers code (as it's the simplest of my mods) to see if you can make heads or tails of it.

But KSP API is messy and poorly if at all documented. I learn it by decompiling and reading through the code :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any way to override the deploy shielding for hangars inside of cargo bay parts?

I'm currently working on a ship made mostly of B9 HX parts. As I couldn't figure out how to make the B9 HX hangars count as hangars (which might also be because they don't have any doors or other moving parts), I decided to just stick a regular hangar inside of them (see the spoiler below). While this works for some hangars, like the habitable ground hangar, for others they will refuse to deploy while inside of the bay. The same thing happens for Ground Construction orbital assembly spaces. As I'm trying to maintain the same white-paint, futuristic aesthetic, having these parts outside of the ship just wouldn't work too well.

Spoiler

screenshot22.png?width=796&height=448

screenshot23.png?width=796&height=448

screenshot31.png?width=796&height=448

If there's any way that I could override this, I'd greatly appreciate the assistance.

On 7/23/2019 at 8:37 PM, whale_2 said:

@bcqJC I'd appreciate if you send me a save file where you have issues with WorldStabilizer.

For the record, WorldStabilizer 0.9.5 is out. Vessels just launched from Hangar are not "stabilized" anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

@allista, I'm trying to set up an asteroid base using Hangar. I've docked an Asteroid Hatch and Asteroid Mining Factory to the asteroid. The Mining Factory is working fine. Now I'm trying to build resource tanks in the asteroid and found out that I need Metals to build tanks. I searched for the part to convert Ore to Metals. I found MobileSmelter.cfg but it's been marked as deprecated. What is its replacement?

4 hours ago, bcqJC said:

@allista, I'm trying to set up an asteroid base using Hangar. I've docked an Asteroid Hatch and Asteroid Mining Factory to the asteroid. The Mining Factory is working fine. Now I'm trying to build resource tanks in the asteroid and found out that I need Metals to build tanks. I searched for the part to convert Ore to Metals. I found MobileSmelter.cfg but it's been marked as deprecated. What is its replacement?

Oh boy! I've completely forgot about that pathway when I marked the smelter deprecated :confused:

I'll add the corresponding converter to ISRUs; for now you can edit the Mobile Smelter, changing category to Utility:

TechRequired = specializedElectrics

category = Utility

On 6/11/2019 at 2:07 AM, allista said:

BTW, no one mentioned the asteroids :blush:

I understand that to use them one must first catch them, which is a feat in itself. But I wonder if hangar building in asteroids ever gets used at all?

They're probably using procedural parts instead :cool:

Pretty much the whole reason I have Hangar installed is to make a neato asteroid base that has it's own defense ship, or can service visiting ships. I'm working on one right now in fact! 
And in that vein, while I understand that having attachment nodes on both sides of the gateway doesn't make a whole lot of sense with the doors and all, it would really help out mission planning, at least for me. (currently I've got one hatch w/ a mine attached, and I'd like to send up another hatch and a gateway in one go). Would it be hard to make it decouple on that node, and add in a decoupler texture that shows up when you attach something there?
In any case, thanks for the awesome mod, I always manage to get my part count up there, so having hangars as an option is really nice. 

P.S. are there conditions to meet before a hangar will accept a vehicle "in flight"? or is there a wiki or forum post I should read to answer that?

3 hours ago, WaywardScythe said:

are there conditions to meet before a hangar will accept a vehicle "in flight"

The hangar should be activated (in dedicated UI window available via toolbar), the vessel should have relative speed less then 1m/s, and it should fit inside both geometrically and with other vessels that are already docked in this hangar, if any.

If any of these requirements are not may, a corresponding on-screen warning is displayed.

3 hours ago, WaywardScythe said:

and I'd like to send up another hatch and a gateway in one go

In principle it could be done using shroud module (like engines do), but I honestly don't like the idea.

In any case, currently you can do something like this:

Hatch>square port>square-port-adapter>[middle of the vessel with radially mounted engine blocks]<square-port-adapter<Gateway

Ah, yes, there's indeed the wiki I made for the mod; asteroid hangars should be covered pretty well, as far as I remember.

Unfortunately some of it may be outdated.

https://github.com/allista/hangar/wiki/Home

Edited by allista

19 hours ago, allista said:

Ah, yes, there's indeed the wiki I made for the mod; asteroid hangars should be covered pretty well, as far as I remember.

Thanks so much! 

19 hours ago, allista said:

In principle it could be done using shroud module (like engines do), but I honestly don't like the idea.

In any case, currently you can do something like this:

Hatch>square port>square-port-adapter>[middle of the vessel with radially mounted engine blocks]<square-port-adapter<Gateway

No problem, honestly I'm just super happy that you're maintaining this one. 
And thanks for the tip, I may end up doing that. 

Having a problem with the two sqaure headshields. They don't get drawn in the VAB when I select them. I can see the attach nodes though and if I attach them to my ship save, start a new ship and then load the old one, I can see the heatshield, but it's huge. I have tweakscale installed and it works fine with the hangars and all other parts, but if I try and change th size of the heatshields nothing happens. If I try and detach them, they disappear again. The logs seem to indicate something wrong with the geometry so I think what I'm seeing is not an accurate reflection of the parts actual state, but a drawing issue.

[LOG 20:05:19.476]    at AT_Utils.PartModuleExtensions.Log(.PartModule pm, System.String msg, System.Object[] args)
   at AT_Utils.AnisotropicPartResizer.Update()
[LOG 20:05:19.476] [001_AnisotropicPartResizer: 20:05:19.476] _vessel:Heatshield for the Rover Lander Hangar[F8C7FCBC]:AnisotropicPartResizer[E10F4E00]: Model local scale changed
[LOG 20:05:19.480] Autogen thumbnail for /Users/svc/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP.app/Contents/../../thumbs/Daddy_VAB_Rover Hangar.png from /Users/svc/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/saves/Daddy/Ships/VAB/Rover Hangar.craft
[WRN 20:05:19.504] BoxColliders does not support negative scale or size.
The effective box size has been forced positive and is likely to give unexpected collision geometry.
If you absolutely need to use negative scaling you can use the convex MeshCollider. Scene hierarchy path "RoverLanderHangar/SquareHeatshield/model/Hangar/Parts/Models/SquareHeatshield(Clone)/heatshield/collider/collider-wall_001"
The effective box size has been forced positive and is likely to give unexpected collision geometry.
If you absolutely need to use negative scaling you can use the convex MeshCollider. Scene hierarchy path "RoverLanderHangar/SquareHeatshield/model/Hangar/Parts/Models/SquareHeatshield(Clone)/heatshield/collider/collider-wall_002"
If you absolutely need to use negative scaling you can use the convex MeshCollider. Scene hierarchy path "RoverLanderHangar/SquareHeatshield/model/Hangar/Parts/Models/SquareHeatshield(Clone)/heatshield/collider/collider-wall_003"
If you absolutely need to use negative scaling you can use the convex MeshCollider. Scene hierarchy path "RoverLanderHangar/SquareHeatshield/model/Hangar/Parts/Models/SquareHeatshield(Clone)/heatshield/collider/collider-wall_005"
[LOG 20:05:19.672] [FAR v0.15.11.1] Voxel Element CrossSection Area: 0.00410273030977838

[LOG 20:05:19.738] [FAR v0.15.11.1] Std dev for smoothing: 3 voxel total vol: 65.6975937696505 filled vol: 66.6067298482193

[LOG 20:05:19.787] [FAR v0.15.11.1] Voxelization Time (ms): 329
[LOG 20:05:21.054] [FAR v0.15.11.1] Updating Rover Hangar
[LOG 20:05:21.189] [FAR v0.15.11.1] Voxel Element CrossSection Area: 0.0128702505378598

[LOG 20:05:21.222] [FAR v0.15.11.1] Std dev for smoothing: 3 voxel total vol: 365.023235593196 filled vol: 172.404906994867

[LOG 20:05:21.254] [FAR v0.15.11.1] Voxelization Time (ms): 200
[LOG 20:05:32.486] [FAR v0.15.11.1] Updating Rover Hangar
[LOG 20:05:32.553] [FAR v0.15.11.1] Updating Rover Hangar
[LOG 20:05:32.688] [FAR v0.15.11.1] Voxel Element CrossSection Area: 0.0128702505378598

[LOG 20:05:32.721] [FAR v0.15.11.1] Std dev for smoothing: 3 voxel total vol: 365.023235593196 filled vol: 172.404906994867

[LOG 20:05:32.753] [FAR v0.15.11.1] Voxelization Time (ms): 200
[LOG 20:05:34.170] [FAR v0.15.11.1] Updating Rover Hangar
[LOG 20:05:34.304] [FAR v0.15.11.1] Voxel Element CrossSection Area: 0.0128702505378598

[LOG 20:05:34.338] [FAR v0.15.11.1] Std dev for smoothing: 3 voxel total vol: 365.023235593196 filled vol: 172.404906994867

[LOG 20:05:34.370] [FAR v0.15.11.1] Voxelization Time (ms): 200
[LOG 20:05:35.903] [FAR v0.15.11.1] Updating Rover Hangar
[LOG 20:05:36.038] [FAR v0.15.11.1] Voxel Element CrossSection Area: 0.0128702505378598

[LOG 20:05:36.072] [FAR v0.15.11.1] Std dev for smoothing: 3 voxel total vol: 365.023235593196 filled vol: 172.404906994867

[LOG 20:05:36.103] [FAR v0.15.11.1] Voxelization Time (ms): 199
[LOG 20:06:28.642]    at AT_Utils.Metric.partsBounds(IList`1 parts, UnityEngine.Transform refT, Boolean compute_hull, Boolean exclude_disabled)
   at AT_Utils.Metric..ctor(IShipconstruct vessel, Boolean compute_hull, Boolean world_space)
   at GroundConstruction.VesselKit..ctor(.PartModule host, .ShipConstruct ship, Boolean assembled, Boolean simulate)
   at GroundConstruction.GCEditorGUI.Update()
[LOG 20:06:28.643] [000_AT_Utils: 20:06:28.643] Metric.partsBounds: WARNING! No parts were provided.
[LOG 20:06:28.644]    at AT_Utils.Metric.partsBounds(IList`1 parts, UnityEngine.Transform refT, Boolean compute_hull, Boolean exclude_disabled)
   at AT_Utils.Metric..ctor(IShipconstruct vessel, Boolean compute_hull, Boolean world_space)
   at GroundConstruction.VesselKit..ctor(.PartModule host, .ShipConstruct ship, Boolean assembled, Boolean simulate)
   at GroundConstruction.GCEditorGUI.Update()
[LOG 20:06:28.644] [000_AT_Utils: 20:06:28.644] Metric.partsBounds: WARNING! No parts were provided.
[ERR 20:06:32.146] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 20:06:32.422] Module AnisotropicPartResizer threw during OnStart: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at AT_Utils.JettisonUpdater.SaveDefaults () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AT_Utils.AnisotropicPartResizer.create_updaters () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AT_Utils.AnisotropicPartResizer.SaveDefaults () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AT_Utils.PartUpdaterBase.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AT_Utils.AnisotropicResizableBase.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AT_Utils.AnisotropicPartResizer.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Using KSP 1.7.3, Using a pre-release of AT_Utils 1.8.2 (to resolve an issue wiht GroundConstruction) and Hangar 3.4.0 (pre-release downloaded at same time as other pre-release modules).

AT_Utils-Debug log:

[001_AnisotropicPartResizer: 20:04:09.295] _vessel:Heatshield for the Inflatable Ground Hangars[C4D5CEB2]:AnisotropicPartResizer[67938F80]: Model local scale changed
[001_AnisotropicPartResizer: 20:04:11.143] _vessel:Heatshield for the Rover Lander Hangar[AD4B08E3]:AnisotropicPartResizer[D110F80]: Model local scale changed
[001_AnisotropicPartResizer: 20:04:17.562] _vessel:Heatshield for the Rover Lander Hangar[8E454D23]:AnisotropicPartResizer[5D678300]: Model local scale changed
[000_AT_Utils: 20:04:34.987] Metric.partsBounds: WARNING! No parts were provided.
[000_AT_Utils: 20:04:34.987] Metric.partsBounds: WARNING! No parts were provided.
[001_AnisotropicPartResizer: 20:04:47.160] _vessel:Heatshield for the Rover Lander Hangar[1441F0C2]:AnisotropicPartResizer[977F4180]: Model local scale changed
[001_AnisotropicPartResizer: 20:04:59.093] _vessel:Heatshield for the Rover Lander Hangar[9BE18097]:AnisotropicPartResizer[648C0000]: Model local scale changed
[000_AT_Utils: 20:05:12.237] Metric.partsBounds: WARNING! No parts were provided.
[000_AT_Utils: 20:05:12.238] Metric.partsBounds: WARNING! No parts were provided.
[001_AnisotropicPartResizer: 20:05:19.476] _vessel:Heatshield for the Rover Lander Hangar[F8C7FCBC]:AnisotropicPartResizer[E10F4E00]: Model local scale changed
[000_AT_Utils: 20:06:28.643] Metric.partsBounds: WARNING! No parts were provided.
[000_AT_Utils: 20:06:28.644] Metric.partsBounds: WARNING! No parts were provided.
[001_AnisotropicPartResizer: 20:06:32.510] _vessel:Heatshield for the Rover Lander Hangar[7693B0FB]:AnisotropicPartResizer[C6CB7380]: Model local scale changed
[000_AT_Utils: 20:06:38.156] Metric.partsBounds: WARNING! No parts were provided.
[000_AT_Utils: 20:06:38.156] Metric.partsBounds: WARNING! No parts were provided.
[001_AnisotropicPartResizer: 20:06:41.174] _vessel:Heatshield for the Inflatable Ground Hangars[69672FD0]:AnisotropicPartResizer[CD90300]: Model local scale changed

Any Ideas?

@beeble42 the first log says that local size calculations produced negative scale, which made the model inverted and invisible; then the JettisonUpdater got an NRE on start; both are serious errors.

But the second log has nothing erroneous or unusual, so everything should work, unless you're loading the same invisible shield: the scale is saved in the .craft.

Also, do not use hangar's own resizer and the TweakScale on the same part. Won't do you good :confused:

14 hours ago, allista said:

Another configuration that came to mind:

HAklUuo.jpg

I thought the Asteroid Gateway must be directly attached to the Asteroid Hatch in order to use the extra volume created as the asteroid is gutted by mining. Admittedly, I'm still at the mining stage and don't have enough volume in the asteroid to even build decent sized tanks for stuff. I'll try it out once I have enough volume to spare after I allocate tanks inside the asteroid.

Also, I'm waiting for the recyclers in Global Construction to be available before I get around to building hangars - hint, hint ;) . I have a couple of boosters attached to my asteroid right now (using Klaws) and my plan is to attach an Orbital Assembly Line and Orbital Workshop on the asteroid. That way, I can recycle those spent boosters I used to haul everything up to the asteroid; and "swallow" up some of the stuff I won't need anymore, like external tanks, spare ISRUs, etc.

10 hours ago, bcqJC said:

thought the Asteroid Gateway must be directly attached to the Asteroid Hatch

Not to the hatch, but to the port attached to the hatch. And that's why it has it's own RCS thrusters and reaction wheel. When you're close enough to the mined asteroid, your can undock it from the carrier, navigate it to the square port attached to the hatch and dock it there.

If you have forgotten the port between mining station and the hatch, bring it along with the gateway and use KAS to attach it on site. Be sure to bring enough kerbals for the work: it's heavy.

10 hours ago, bcqJC said:

Also, I'm waiting for the recyclers in Global Construction to be available before I get around to building hangars - hint, hint ;) . I have a couple of boosters attached to my asteroid right now (using Klaws) and my plan is to attach an Orbital Assembly Line and Orbital Workshop on the asteroid. That way, I can recycle those spent boosters I used to haul everything up to the asteroid; and "swallow" up some of the stuff I won't need anymore, like external tanks, spare ISRUs, etc.

I'm also waiting for the opportunity of enough spare time to fix all issues and release it at last! :cool:

BTW, only the Workshop recycles, you don't need the Assembly Line. And keep in mind that the more skilled the engines in it, the more resources you recycle from the same part.

Edited by allista