[1.9-1.10] Hangar

allista

[b]Do you use the [u]Desaturated Texture Pack?[/u][/b]  

326 members have voted

1. 1. [b]Do you use the [u]Desaturated Texture Pack?[/u][/b]

• Yes, the grey textures are more stock-like
    • No, the green-orange textures are fine

Using the nightly build image as of yesterday (2019-8-24), I tried out the Recycle function of GC.

My first reaction was "Where's the rest of my station?!".

Background... I started out by capturing a class E asteroid (is that the biggest?) using a 2 part vessel. The first part is the command section which I attached north of the center of mass of the asteroid. 2nd part is the engine cluster which I attached south of the COM of the asteroid. Then I attached a third parts cluster of Orbital Assembly, Workshop, Asteroid Mining Factory combo on the equator (plus some stuff to house Kerbals and store resources not supported by Configurable Containers).

So after that, I figured I'll lessen the part count by getting rid of extraneous boosters, and RCS and gain some resources at the same time, using the GC Recycler.

That's when I encountered the parts tree interface of the Recycler. Because my station's parts tree was nested so deep, I can't get to the recycle button at the right of the Recycle window. I can drag the tree to see the button but the moment I let go of the left-mouse-button, the display shifts to the right, hiding the button. And I can't resize the window either.

My 2 cents...
-    Have some left-right scroll controls.
-    If horizontal scrolling is not possible, have the action buttons - Recycle and Discard excess resources - as the first part of the node before the node's part name. That way, the buttons are always reacheable.
-    Have some buttons to switch off resources info that show how much resources can be recovered and how much EC is required. Or have that info display as a "hint".
-    It's nice if the part I'm selecting to recycle is highlighted. Like how the ShipManifest mod highlights selected parts.

The whole exercise got me re-thinking how I build ships. I have to put some thought now on how I break up ships into sub-assemblies to minimize the nesting of the parts tree.

Screenshots...

Recycle window showing 3  the depth of my station parts tree
q2YUVPg.png

This is me trying to drag the window contents to the left to see the rest of the details. Problem is when I let go of the mouse, everything snaps back to the right. Can barely see the Recycle button.
djubXVq.png.%5C

Edited by bcqJC
Forgot to mention... The Recycler window doesn't close when switching scenes.

I am having a problem when loading the craft. The cargo part loads in the wrong place.... I am on 1.7.3

310JRSO.png

Changing the root doesnt help. Its only that hangar part which causes the problem. Anyway I could see this fixed? Its the perfect part for me.

Edited by Agustin

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2019 at 4:02 PM, horngeek said:

For some reason, when I have a Hangar part on my active craft, the hangar toolbar option doesn't show up.  Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Update: if people are having this problem, don't assume if you have the 000_AT-Utils folder that you have all the files required for this to work properly- unzip the folder packaged with this mod anyways, and just don't replace files you already have.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there,

I ancountered "bug", a few days ago, was that the fairing rover part was staged after jumping to the ship...

I'm using MechJeb (MJ2)  and it seems it was him that was responnsible for that. At first upon staging I launched the console to see what happened, and saw error about the ship that does not exist in AtmosphereAutopilot config files... so I disabled it but I still got that bug... then I saw information message from MechJeb mod loading buttons... and a message that the game was switching to the rover inside the fairing (I kept a save from that for debug purpose). I knew MJ2 has autostage capability. So I desabled it, load the game switch to the ship waited for staging but nothing happened. so I exited, alt+F4, and activated MJ2 again and uppon loading to the ship I could continue it's journey... 
I know I've got a few stacktrace in my logs that I should look at first but I wanted to tell you about that ...

So Recap :

- I sent a fairing rover (hangar?) on it's way to minmus. it was a few days trips so I jumped to the the space center to send another to the Mun.

- I did few others contracts 

- When it was a few hours to the maneuver node to go to minus orbit jumped back to my rover fairing lander.

- It stage upon loading :'(

- Then read the consoles message disabled AtmosphereAutopilot (after I tried to put a blank file or another ship file with the name of my ship cause I took 2 files and compare them, no differences were found)

- Tried again and disabled MJ2 (after checking all MJ2 menu to be sure there is no autostage checked before jumping to my ship)

- Tried again and Exit

- Activated MJ2 again then load directly to the ship (Quick launch mod)

- All good time warped to maneuver and landed on minus ( to be safe and continue my contracts ).

I'm ready to help investigate that whenever you have time :)

Hi, I got a problem with ksp1.7.

I built a landing car with 50 compotens, and i put it in a hangar box (green). when i launch the car with attach achor, my car was exploded...Even i change my car to a small size, the car is not stable when launch...try many times...Hope for your reply.thx

4 hours ago, hentaihr said:

I built a landing car with 50 compotens, and i put it in a hangar box (green). when i launch the car with attach achor, my car was exploded...Even i change my car to a small size, the car is not stable when launch...try many times...Hope for your reply.thx

Where do that happen ?
I got a similar problem rover not stable at all... but it does not explode, on minmus and the mun but with an auto pilote it's OK using mechJeb rover auto pilote when near my target and bon voyage to send my rover near the target.

Did you try to launch on the runaway, before extra planetary ?
with and without the Hangar to see if it's not the achor the problem... 
I did not use achor or may be anchors for my designs... another thing to look at ;)

Maybe it's a design problem, can you screenshot before the launch and explosion of your car ? 

Did you try other hangar type ? like the rover lander or anything else ?

Is there any way to get a NON-modded version of the Cargo bays? I absolutely love the mod but I run a very SSTO heavy program and the hanger only version of the cargo bays is crippling. 

To document the issue. After installing Hanger, my entire crop of Mk3 SSTO's seem to have gained an immense amount of weight. Even empty a plane that used to launch 2 orange tanks to orbit easily, now can't break 350m/s. I don't see any additional drag trails, so I am assuming it is a weight issue, but I guess there could be a hidden drag component as well, I am not sure. 

Edit: FWIW I edited the hangar/MM/Squad.cfg file and removed everything below line 80, and the parts seem to have returned to normal. Obviously without the hangar capability. Just to confirm the issue is with the Hanger mod and not some weird conflict elsewhere.

Edited by Stumble

The documentation here (https://github.com/allista/hangar/wiki/HOWTO-for-Modders) describes how the Hangar functionality can be added to other parts. I looked it up before because I also wanted the same thing as you and thought to try doing it myself.

However, I realized that since some of the hangar parts can be resized, just placing them inside of the OPT cargo bays would achieve similar results. And I don't have to figure out how to balance stats like the additional mass ancillary equipment in the hangar would introduce.

Hello there,

@allista

Since 1.8, KSP fail to load,
I already tried with just Hangar and dependencies it's the same here a screenshot after a few minutes...

KSP_Load_Stuck_Hangar

You got the log on giithub 
hangar issue #205

I think (and kind of hope ^^) you are busy working on it, that's why you didn't answer on github yet 

if you didn't had time yet I also understand real life is and always should be the priority is just that I'm unemployed right now and my days are a bit long without KSP ^^

I installed the mods throught CKAN

and since the issue :

I tried to download from Github and merge with the files already existing...

in player.log, only log that seems available to me, because output_log is not yet modified...

You can see that just after the line where hangar2 is mentioned you have thist stack trace :
```
MissingFieldException: Field 'KSPWheelController.wheelCollider' not found. 
  at AT_Utils.Metric..ctor (Part part, System.Boolean compute_hull, System.Boolean world_space) [0x00032] in <884dc0722e2f44d080ac1ddc449a08e3>:0 
  at AtHangar.HangarStorage.update_metrics () [0x00007] in <c81168d2437b4b7f825fb29f686a5dfd>:0 
  at AtHangar.HangarStorage.GetInfo () [0x0002d] in <c81168d2437b4b7f825fb29f686a5dfd>:0 
  at PartLoader.CompilePartInfo (AvailablePart newPartInfo, Part part) [0x0024c] in <5b6ca6486e0b47a1bce39cde5a91b986>:0 
  at PartLoader+<CompileParts>d__56.MoveNext () [0x006ea] in <5b6ca6486e0b47a1bce39cde5a91b986>:0 
  at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00027] in <5aeafee3fea24f37abd1315553f2cfa6>:0

```

6 minutes ago, BrettDah said:

if you didn't had time yet I also understand real life is and always should be the priority is just that I'm unemployed right now and my days are a bit long without KSP ^^

Play on 1.7.3 until the mod(s) get updated

7 minutes ago, BrettDah said:

I installed the mods throught CKAN

and since the issue :

I tried to download from Github and merge with the files already existing...

in player.log, only log that seems available to me, because output_log is not yet modified..

This mod is not yet updated, please be patient

4 hours ago, BrettDah said:

in player.log, only log that seems available to me, because output_log is not yet modified...

Because KSP 1.8 changed to a newer Unity, the log file changed.  Only Player.log is used under KSP 1.8.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 3:21 PM, Nicky21 said:

Allista , what would it take to extend the hangar functionality to the OPT parts ? Is it just a few lines of codes in the cfg files or is there some major voodoo required?

Definitely voodoo, and some amount of thaumaturgy at the top :ph34r:

But that work is already planned by the @Stone Blue and @JadeOfMaar and myself. So eventually OPT will be with Hangars.

On 10/11/2019 at 7:30 PM, Stumble said:

Is there any way to get a NON-modded version of the Cargo bays? I absolutely love the mod but I run a very SSTO heavy program and the hanger only version of the cargo bays is crippling. 

To document the issue. After installing Hanger, my entire crop of Mk3 SSTO's seem to have gained an immense amount of weight. Even empty a plane that used to launch 2 orange tanks to orbit easily, now can't break 350m/s. I don't see any additional drag trails, so I am assuming it is a weight issue, but I guess there could be a hidden drag component as well, I am not sure. 

Edit: FWIW I edited the hangar/MM/Squad.cfg file and removed everything below line 80, and the parts seem to have returned to normal. Obviously without the hangar capability. Just to confirm the issue is with the Hanger mod and not some weird conflict elsewhere.

Now that's quite strange, because these patches do not change the weight of the bays, just add the hangars; and the animators, which potentially may mess the aerodynamics. I'll have to test this.

Issue for tracking:

https://github.com/allista/hangar/issues/206

And yes, removing/commenting out the patch is the correct way to disable the changes.

Edited by allista

On 10/4/2019 at 8:50 PM, hentaihr said:

@BrettDah, this may be the problem with suspension of the wheels: when launched, wheel's suspension is fully compressed (KSP just works that way); then immediately after launch, when a rover touches the floor, suspension is released and expands explosively. The rover jumps, collides with the hangar and explodes. Everything happens so far that I was able to see what's happening only on the video record, examining it frame by frame.

I'm not yet sure if it can be worked around somehow...

On 10/4/2019 at 10:06 AM, BrettDah said:

Hello there,

I ancountered "bug", a few days ago, was that the fairing rover part was staged after jumping to the ship...

I'm using MechJeb (MJ2)  and it seems it was him that was responnsible for that. At first upon staging I launched the console to see what happened, and saw error about the ship that does not exist in AtmosphereAutopilot config files... so I disabled it but I still got that bug... then I saw information message from MechJeb mod loading buttons... and a message that the game was switching to the rover inside the fairing (I kept a save from that for debug purpose). I knew MJ2 has autostage capability. So I desabled it, load the game switch to the ship waited for staging but nothing happened. so I exited, alt+F4, and activated MJ2 again and uppon loading to the ship I could continue it's journey... 
I know I've got a few stacktrace in my logs that I should look at first but I wanted to tell you about that ...

So Recap :

- I sent a fairing rover (hangar?) on it's way to minmus. it was a few days trips so I jumped to the the space center to send another to the Mun.

- I did few others contracts 

- When it was a few hours to the maneuver node to go to minus orbit jumped back to my rover fairing lander.

- It stage upon loading :'(

- Then read the consoles message disabled AtmosphereAutopilot (after I tried to put a blank file or another ship file with the name of my ship cause I took 2 files and compare them, no differences were found)

- Tried again and disabled MJ2 (after checking all MJ2 menu to be sure there is no autostage checked before jumping to my ship)

- Tried again and Exit

- Activated MJ2 again then load directly to the ship (Quick launch mod)

- All good time warped to maneuver and landed on minus ( to be safe and continue my contracts ).

I'm ready to help investigate that whenever you have time :)

Thanks for the report and the analysis. I'll need to replicate this to debug properly.

I'm the meantime you can always disable staging for a part in VAB/SPH and then launch the content from the fairing through the part menu.

16 hours ago, allista said:

But that work is already planned by the @Stone Blue and @JadeOfMaar and myself. So eventually OPT will be with Hangars.

@allista, that's exciting news. While everything is still in the planning stage, I hope this will be included as a use case.

As you can see below, I made a SSTO that has 3 OPT KH Cargo Bays stacked with a OPT KH Tail Cargo ramp to allow access from the rear of the craft. Note that some of the cargo space of the 1st Cargo Bay is consumed by an OPT J Mobile Lab. So in theory, the plane has a cargo space equivalent to the combined space provided by around 2.2 OPT KH Cargo Bays.

In KSP 1.7.3, I would have used either a Ground Hangar or a Radial Hangar (with some heavy clipping on both), to provide the plane with Hangar capability. Both Hangars can be resized. That allows me to put them inside the combined space remaining in the cargo bay so that the plane can carry payloads longer than the length of one OPT KH Cargo Bay. The added mass of the Hangar is just the price to pay for the functionality Hangar provides.

I'm hoping that with the work you're undertaking with @Stone Blue and @JadeOfMaar, you will include the functionality to combine the useable spaces of stacked cargo bays.

If that proves to be difficult, provide some way for us to disable the Hangar capability in the editor for the part, say OPT KH Cargo Bay, which will remove the mass penalties (I'm assuming there will be some to account for the ancillaries that go with Hangar functionality). Possibly do this using "variants".

That way, if some guy like me wants to use the combined space, we can do the 1.7.3 way of embedding and resizing Hangars inside the cargo space.

BTW, here's a link to a prior post about embedding Hangars inside stacked Cargo Bays to provide the cargo bays with Hangar functionality.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/80225-17-hangar/page/54/&tab=comments#comment-3619108

vd2G4AZ.png

Edited by bcqJC
added some references

Version 3.4.0 for Kerbal Space Program 1.8.1

Released on 2019-11-14

ReOrientation

• Supports KSP-1.8.1
  • Hangar contents may be rotated both in Editor and in Flight
    • Payload may be rotated in 90 degree steps using the dedicated UI. The orientation is indicated by a translucent arrow drawn along with the content hint. The arrow indicates the bottom and front directions of the payload.
    • In Flight rotation is allowed only if the rotated payload fits inside docking space. And disabled for fairings and single-use hangars.
    • Orientation of each stored vessel is preserved, so if you have docked (in flight), say, nose-forward, that is how the vessel will be launched, unless rotated manually before launch. Note: the orientation will be actually slightly corrected, so that the stored vessel is aligned with the hangar.
    • When a stored vessel is transferred from one storage to the other its orientation is set to the optimal one for the receiving storage.
  • Mobile Smelter is deprecated in favor of the ISRUs. As usual, parts already in flight will be functional, but it wouldn't be available in Editor.
  • Asteroid Hatch creates resource tanks using Material Kits. Existing hatches will still use Metals, only the new parts will be affected. Tanks will cost slightly more, but will weight the same.
  • ISRUs are patched to produce Material Kits the same way they do in Global Construction (unless MKS is installed).
  • Vessels stored in Editor are not spawned-and-stored anymore during the launch, which caused considerable lag.
  • Hangars don't launch stored vessels if any physical object is present within their docking space.
  • Vessel docking is triggered only with dedicated trigger-colliders, rather than with any trigger-colliders on the part, like airlocks and ladders.
  • Added Show Payload button to part menu of fairings to show their content as they don't have the Hangar Window interface.
  • Numerous bugfixes and improvements:
    • Localizing vessel names.
    • Fixed NRE in case a jettisoned fairing is destroyed immediately.
    • Update content_hull_mesh on hangar resize.
    • Fixed UI not showing after launch from hangar if it was destroyed before launch ended.
    • Several performance improvements due to the use of the frameworks from AT_Utils rather than the legacy Hangar code.
    • Showing tooltips in HangarEditor.
    • Added random angular velocities to debris jettisoned from fairings for visual effect.
    • Limit the jettison force for parts decoupled form a fairing when it is itself jettisoned.
    • Fixed content highlighting in Hangar Gateway.
    • Improved hangar fairings texture and model.
    • Removed deprecated Readme.pdf from the distribution.
  • For modders (and for future integration with TCA):
    • Sending the Hangar PartModule as onLaunchedFromHangar KSPEvent to all parts of the launched vessel.

Download 

Edited by allista

22 hours ago, allista said:

For modders (and for future integration with TCA):

• Sending the Hangar PartModule as onLaunchedFromHangar KSPEvent to all parts of the launched vessel.

Oh, that's nice. No more guessing :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2019 at 7:30 PM, Stumble said:

Could you please test this version of MultiAnimators to see if it fixes the issue with cargo bays?

https://mega.nz/#!D9RBiQLQ!ad_Xie-ZPg1T2DY2oKtI06v1fjmfBAcDK8WEEoMahSY

md5: ddbecd7c426dd9e7b7b51ebf90658301

To test:

1. Restore the Hangar/MM/Squad.cfg 
  2. Replace the GameData/000_AT_Utils/Plugins/002_MultiAnimators.dll with the version above.
  3. Test your SSTO.