[1.9-1.10] Hangar

allista

[b]Do you use the [u]Desaturated Texture Pack?[/u][/b]  

326 members have voted

1. 1. [b]Do you use the [u]Desaturated Texture Pack?[/u][/b]

• Yes, the grey textures are more stock-like
    • No, the green-orange textures are fine

Thanks for the reports, all of you. I know about the problem and I'm still looking for the solution.

What causes it is the Krakensbane, the moving frame of reference. When you launch a ship but before the physics kicks in all the rigid bodies of the parts have 0 velocities, but all the rigid bodies of the mother-ship have the velocity of the reference frame. So even when I synchronize the orbits and match orbital velocities, for the PhysX there still is a collision. In Kerbin's orbit the frame-speed is low, about 1.5m/s; you may notice it when, after the launched ship is switched to, it sometimes bumps a little to the hangar's wall. But in Minmus orbit it may be ~100m/s, thus the explosion.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience, but I cannot revert to the old launch system now, so we have to wait until I find out how to deal with it.

What may help, though, is a quick-save/reload, or switch form and to the ship. At least Badsector states so.

could you perhaps support these parts: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/101699-0-90-Mark-IV-Spaceplane-System-%2814-12-14-important-fixes!%29

would make a fine addition to your hangar mod dont you think?

Fine parts they are, and there will be no problem converting separate cargo bays, but I can't make a compound hangar from several bays and back door as they show in the screenshots: these will still be several separate hangars.

It seems I have finally came up with a fix.

But before I release it, I want to ask those of you who had problems with vessel launching in orbit at Minmus and other planets to test it thoroughly.

Just replace the Hangar.dll in Hangar/Plugins folder with the new version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qhcewyikuz7ijla/Hangar.dll?dl=0

Edited by allista

I will go and compare the 2 right now! if I dont find any issues with the fix then I wont reply back right this instant :)

out of curiosity, why cant any of the space plane hangar parts restore satelites/small landing crafts!

I kinda want to use those repeatedly. (have a big SSTO with a small lander for planets.)

It seems I have finally came up with a fix.

But before I release it, I want to ask those of you who had problems with vessel launching in orbit at Minmus and other planets to test it thoroughly.

Just replace the Hangar.dll in Hangar/Plugins folder with the new version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qhcewyikuz7ijla/Hangar.dll?dl=0

I'll check it out.

Test1: Minmus orbit

holding position with SAS: No explosions, tested 3 times.

Spinning very slowly no SAS: no explosions

moving slightly no SAS: no explosions, bumped a little, but that's expected.

collision course with minmus surface, ~7-8km above: No explosion, other than the one when you crash into the surface.

Edit: The fairing hangar is STURDY, survived smacking into the surface at over 100 m/s. Edit2: Okay, NOW the hangar explodes, I guess it got lucky the first collision.

Test2: Munar orbit

hyperbolic escape orbit, facing prograde: no explosion

Actual orbit (about 111km) : no explosion

low munar orbit ~10-11km: no explosion

I haven't had any explosion or violent kickback of the hangar ship in those tests.

Edited by smjjames

I will go and compare the 2 right now! if I dont find any issues with the fix then I wont reply back right this instant :)

Thanks!

out of curiosity, why cant any of the space plane hangar parts restore satelites/small landing crafts!

I kinda want to use those repeatedly. (have a big SSTO with a small lander for planets.)

I don't quite understand. What do you mean by "can't restore satellites"? And what parts exactly?

- - - Updated - - -

I'll check it out.

Test1: Minmus orbit

holding position with SAS: No explosions, tested 3 times.

Spinning very slowly no SAS: no explosions

moving slightly no SAS: no explosions, bumped a little, but that's expected.

collision course with minmus surface, ~7-8km above: No explosion, other than the one when you crash into the surface.

Edit: The fairing hangar is STURDY, survived smacking into the surface at over 100 m/s. Edit2: Okay, NOW the hangar explodes, I guess it got lucky the first collision.

Test2: Munar orbit

hyperbolic escape orbit, facing prograde: no explosion

Actual orbit (about 111km) : no explosion

low munar orbit ~10-11km: no explosion

I haven't had any explosion or violent kickback of the hangar ship in those tests.

Perfect! Thanks a lot!

your place plane hangar parts say the MK3 items, they say you can only place items in those when in the editor.

but I want to be able to re-hangar those satelites.

only the 2.5 diameter hangar and the big carrier can restock ships!

your place plane hangar parts say the MK3 items, they say you can only place items in those when in the editor.

/GameData/Hangar/MM/

Rename Squad.cfg to Squad.bak

I would like to change the resource from the HeavyRecycler.cfgfrom Metal to RocketParts, and i thought i had it with this:

MODULE

{

name = HangarSwitchableTank

TankType = RocketParts

CurrentResource = RocketParts

Volume = 2

}

But it gave the error that it could not recognize Rocketparts, or is this hardcoded into MKS?

Rocketparts is actually an Extraplanetary Launchpads resource (I believe), so if you don't have EPL, it's not going to work.

Im not at the computer atm, so all I can suggest is maybe doublecheck the name of the resource.

@BelgarionNL Allista made stock cargo bays as one-time use Hangars. If you want to use stock cargo bays as hangars repeatedly you gotta rename the modules in Squad.cfg which is in the MM folder

Replace there every SingleUseHangarStorage with HangarStorage and your problem solved.

Out of curiosity, does the hangar gain weight appropriately as more things are loaded into it? I mean is a "full" hangar as heavy as and empty hanger plus all the things it stored?

Also, how do you make a hangar out of an asteroid?

Edited by Arron Rift

Out of curiosity, does the hangar gain weight appropriately as more things are loaded into it? I mean is a "full" hangar as heavy as and empty hanger plus all the things it stored?

Yes you're right, hangars gain weight of their contents and loose when they're released. If you're using radial hangars with payloads of different weight you will need to balance thrust of your carrier because of shifted CoM or else it will start spinning. In this case you'd better use two engines on your craft and use Allista's second mod for automatic thrust balancing, link in his signature.

Hi, I like your mod and am considering downloading it. I do, however, have a question first.

I see you make mention of "ground hangars" but don't really elaborate on it.

I have plans for a space program where I re-use every vehicle I launch (mainly SSTO's), and I plan to store then on KSC property near the hangar between launches. I just don't want to load hundreds of parts each time. Would the ground hangar parts help facilitate this?

Update: It does exactly what I had hoped!

Edited by Slam_Jones

I'd sure think so.

EDIT: So, I did a reinstall of this today, just to make sure I had the latest version installed and I'm running into a problem that's breaking the game's ability to even load past a the parts from this mod. I've removed the blank lines, but otehrwise the following output is straight from the output_log:

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Hangar/Parts/AsteroidHangars/MobileSmelter/MobileSmelter'
(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)
PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Hangar/Parts/AsteroidHangars/ResourceTanks/ResourceTank'
(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)
KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.SortedList`2[System.String,AtHangar.SwitchableTankType].get_Item (System.String key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AtHangar.SwitchableTankInfo.get_Type () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AtHangar.SwitchableTankInfo.get_Cost () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AtHangar.SwitchableTankInfo.Info (.ConfigNode n) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AtHangar.HangarTankManager+<GetInfo>c__AnonStorey0.<>m__0 (.ConfigNode n) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AtHangar.CollectionsExtensions.ForEach[ConfigNode] (.ConfigNode[] a, System.Action`1 action) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AtHangar.HangarTankManager.GetInfo () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PartLoader+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
(Filename: Line: -1)
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at AtHangar.PartUpdaterBase.Init () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AtHangar.HangarResizableBase.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AtHangar.HangarPartResizer.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

So yeah... that happened.

Edited by Gaalidas

Is it possible to make a 2 part "Thunderbird 2"-Pod-like system?

A empty inline Framework, when no pod is stored is rendered empty but when pod is stored, it is rendered with a hull

Prefabricated hollow Pod, which can open/close by itself by which players can customize its contents to their content

This presents a more visual representation of what can or can not be stored within a Pod and Hanger.

I have PM the author of the MKIV Space plane about this some time ago withouth response, because he?/she? did some model work resembling the ThunderBird 2 vehicle but withouth the whole Pod feature as an empty hull

While i am no modder/modeler by hobby nor trade, i think this code could be reapplied to this concept, seeing the only a visual change depening on the value of having a stored content of the Hangar, as well as an Prefab Pod as a starting point of said content

@BelgarionNL Allista made stock cargo bays as one-time use Hangars. If you want to use stock cargo bays as hangars repeatedly you gotta rename the modules in Squad.cfg which is in the MM folder

Replace there every SingleUseHangarStorage with HangarStorage and your problem solved.

Thank you, Enceos, for playing host in my absence! Your answers are very accurate.

Also, how do you make a hangar out of an asteroid?

The workflow is described in Hangar's wiki in the Asteroid Hangars section and its subsections.

I'd sure think so.

EDIT: So, I did a reinstall of this today, just to make sure I had the latest version installed and I'm running into a problem that's breaking the game's ability to even load past a the parts from this mod. I've removed the blank lines, but otehrwise the following output is straight from the output_log:

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Hangar/Parts/AsteroidHangars/MobileSmelter/MobileSmelter'
PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Hangar/Parts/AsteroidHangars/ResourceTanks/ResourceTank'
KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.SortedList`2[System.String,AtHangar.SwitchableTankType].get_Item (System.String key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AtHangar.SwitchableTankInfo.get_Type () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AtHangar.SwitchableTankInfo.get_Cost () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AtHangar.SwitchableTankInfo.Info (.ConfigNode n) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AtHangar.HangarTankManager+<GetInfo>c__AnonStorey0.<>m__0 (.ConfigNode n) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AtHangar.CollectionsExtensions.ForEach[ConfigNode] (.ConfigNode[] a, System.Action`1 action) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AtHangar.HangarTankManager.GetInfo () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PartLoader+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at AtHangar.PartUpdaterBase.Init () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AtHangar.HangarResizableBase.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AtHangar.HangarPartResizer.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Thank you for the report! I'll try to publish a fix in the next few days.

Is it possible to make a 2 part "Thunderbird 2"-Pod-like system?

A empty inline Framework, when no pod is stored is rendered empty but when pod is stored, it is rendered with a hull

Prefabricated hollow Pod, which can open/close by itself by which players can customize its contents to their content

This presents a more visual representation of what can or can not be stored within a Pod and Hanger.

I have PM the author of the MKIV Space plane about this some time ago withouth response, because he?/she? did some model work resembling the ThunderBird 2 vehicle but withouth the whole Pod feature as an empty hull

While i am no modder/modeler by hobby nor trade, i think this code could be reapplied to this concept, seeing the only a visual change depening on the value of having a stored content of the Hangar, as well as an Prefab Pod as a starting point of said content

Theoretically this could be done (not easily though), but I really don't see why do it. This only differs from the present inline hangars in not-renderred hull of empty hangar. But meaningfully this could only be applied in editor; in flight, even when you empty the "Pod" it should stay there, right? So, as I see it, we're talking about in-editor eye-candy that costs a lot of effort.

Theoretically this could be done (not easily though), but I really don't see why do it. This only differs from the present inline hangars in not-renderred hull of empty hangar. But meaningfully this could only be applied in editor; in flight, even when you empty the "Pod" it should stay there, right? So, as I see it, we're talking about in-editor eye-candy that costs a lot of effort.

I must admit that the large reason for pushing this idea is to create a Thunderbird-2 or MKIV similair design with dropped Pods that can be recollected if needed, and of course easy editing the Pods content with its dimensions visually displayed, meaning if nothing is colliding outside the pod, then its ok to load or to unload.

As i see it the whole point of a Hangar is to reduce part lag, and during flight a ship carrring a "pod" would not render any parts that stored within? and when deployed the Pod becomes a seperate entity vessel which after DropVessel taken off, have alot less to render/load

Which comes into another question i would like to ask, Can hangars put in larger hangars and to how often can that be done before it would crash or lag at any rate?

You could also see it as variation of another way of representing the hangar concept, like you got already some inline hangars, inflateable hangars, ground hangars, astroid hangars, starport hangers.

And like the fairing hangar, this could be another "disposable" hangar which potentially can be recovered, also it would give a "stocklike" preset to start with, and a Prefabriacted model of a Pod would always fit the inline hanger construct

EDIT: Another point of view is that a Pod would theoraticlly always fit and because its a "stock" size players could make a multi use vessel with switch able cargo even in-world

Edited by Pretender6

Can we get an option in the tank editing menu to distribute the rest of the available volume between the existing tanks? So for example if I'm putting together a tank for life support and have the ratio of tanks I want, but it only fills 3/4 of the available volume I can just press a button instead of having to resize everything.

I'd sure think so.

Have you removed the previous version, or installed by overwriting? If the latter, you may have a conflict with the older version, so move away the old Hangar folder and install anew. Otherwise, could you publish the whole log, not just these lines?

- - - Updated - - -

Can we get an option in the tank editing menu to distribute the rest of the available volume between the existing tanks? So for example if I'm putting together a tank for life support and have the ratio of tanks I want, but it only fills 3/4 of the available volume I can just press a button instead of having to resize everything.

That would not be hard to implement, so yes. Along with the saved tank ratios. But not until summer, I'm afraid. Busy work schedule.

• 2 weeks later...
What about KSP1.0?

I haven't upgraded my KSP installation yet, so I don't know how much time will it take to fix all compatibility issues. Depending on the extent of the API changes I may be able to update Hangar in a couple of days, up to a week maybe. Sorry for the delay.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.