[1.9-1.10] Hangar

allista

[b]Do you use the [u]Desaturated Texture Pack?[/u][/b]  

326 members have voted

1. 1. [b]Do you use the [u]Desaturated Texture Pack?[/u][/b]

• Yes, the grey textures are more stock-like
    • No, the green-orange textures are fine

On 1/15/2018 at 9:13 AM, drhay53 said:

Haven't played in a couple months, so I updated everything and fired KSP up. It looks like no matter what I put in the inline hangar fairing, when I try to jettison the payload, nothing comes out. I have used hangar forever, it's not a problem with the object not fitting; it's clearly there in the VAB. Is this a known issue? I saw some perhaps-relevant discussion a page back, but I'm using hangar 3.3.3 and I'm still having the issue.

edit: it looks like the craft shows up on the map view, and can be switched to from there, it just doesn't seem to show up visually, and can't be cycled through with the usual square bracket keybinding right when it is jettisoned.

I'm having the same issue.  This wouldn't bother me too much, but the ejected ship is on a moderately different orbit and it makes it difficult to deliver Space Station parts near the space station as the orbit of the new ship is off...

Suggestions?

-Hawke

1 hour ago, oO Hawke Oo said:

I'm having the same issue.  This wouldn't bother me too much, but the ejected ship is on a moderately different orbit and it makes it difficult to deliver Space Station parts near the space station as the orbit of the new ship is off...

Suggestions?

-Hawke

I never found a solution and eventually started a new save with a totally different set of mods.

I am not sure if anyone can help me on this one. I am working on doing a video series in KSP and want to use this mod however in order to fit my needs, I need to make some alterations to this mod but I am having difficulties.

Basically the issue I am having is I need the functionality of the mod but the existing hanger modules are not suitable for my needs.

So as I was looking through the parts I saw the square docking port and had a great idea. I could take that model and re-purpose it into two new hanger parts a Gate and a Lift respectively. 

The Idea was to have them able to be resized in tweekscale, and basically be hangers with zero capacity which would just determine the size of the ship that could enter into the hanger. That way i could put a hanger extension part inside my craft and use the offset tool to embed one of these new parts on the surface of my craft.

I have been looking through the source code and the config files and I am unable to determine where in the config files these various values are being set.

There is a lot of commented out lines of code which look like they might relate but they are commented out so I am unclear on how to proceed.

On 20/2/2018 at 3:11 AM, drhay53 said:

I never found a solution and eventually started a new save with a totally different set of mods.

In a previous installation I had the same glitch with vessel being released on different orbit, so I started narrowing down the incompatible mod.

I tried installing via CKAN only HANGAR.

It worked.

Then I added Astronomer Visual pack, his dependencies and Chatterer and trying the same mission when trying to deploy the stored vessel, an aler pop up saying

"vessel clearance is insufficient for safe launch".

Hope this can be of help for someone more proficient than me.

GAME VERSION 1.3.1, List of mod

Astronomer's Visual Pack (AstronomersVisualPack v3.63)
Astronomer's Visual Pack-8k Textures (AVP-8kTextures v1.6)
AT Utils (AT-Utils v1.5.0)
Chatterer (Chatterer 0.9.93)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 0.8.0.0)
Configurable Containers Core (ConfigurableContainers-Core 2.4.1.2)
Environmental Visual Enhancements (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 2:EVE-1.2.2-1)
Ground Construction (GroundConstruction 1.2.1)
Ground Construction Core (GroundConstruction-Core 1.2.1)
Hangar (Hangar 3.3.3)
Kopernicus Planetary System Modifier (Kopernicus 2:release-1.3.1-7)
LoadingScreenManager (LoadingScreenManager 1.2.3.4)
ModularFlightIntegrator (ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.4.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 3.0.4)
scatterer (Scatterer 2:v0.0324)
scatterer - default config (Scatterer-config 2:v0.0324)
scatterer - sunflare (Scatterer-sunflare 2:v0.0324)

13 minutes ago, francescopela said:

In a previous installation I had the same glitch with vessel being released on different orbit, so I started narrowing down the incompatible mod.

I tried installing via CKAN only HANGAR.

It worked.

Then I added Astronomer Visual pack, his dependencies and Chatterer and trying the same mission when trying to deploy the stored vessel, an aler pop up saying

"vessel clearance is insufficient for safe launch".

Hope this can be of help for someone more proficient than me.

GAME VERSION 1.3.1, List of mod

Astronomer's Visual Pack (AstronomersVisualPack v3.63)
Astronomer's Visual Pack-8k Textures (AVP-8kTextures v1.6)
AT Utils (AT-Utils v1.5.0)
Chatterer (Chatterer 0.9.93)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 0.8.0.0)
Configurable Containers Core (ConfigurableContainers-Core 2.4.1.2)
Environmental Visual Enhancements (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 2:EVE-1.2.2-1)
Ground Construction (GroundConstruction 1.2.1)
Ground Construction Core (GroundConstruction-Core 1.2.1)
Hangar (Hangar 3.3.3)
Kopernicus Planetary System Modifier (Kopernicus 2:release-1.3.1-7)
LoadingScreenManager (LoadingScreenManager 1.2.3.4)
ModularFlightIntegrator (ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.4.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 3.0.4)
scatterer (Scatterer 2:v0.0324)
scatterer - default config (Scatterer-config 2:v0.0324)
scatterer - sunflare (Scatterer-sunflare 2:v0.0324)

I didn't have Chatterer installed, so that's probably not it (and it would be weird if that were it), but there's a decent chance I had AVP and scatterer installed, via CKAN.

3 hours ago, drhay53 said:

I didn't have Chatterer installed, so that's probably not it (and it would be weird if that were it), but there's a decent chance I had AVP and scatterer installed, via CKAN.

Tried without AVP and EVE and LOTS of mod, seems fine. Maybe it's because AVP change the form of land itself, changing relative position? (I'm no expert in modding, just a random idea)

Hey @allista, first, thanks for such an awesome mod! Really excited for all the possibilities. There's one use case I'm having trouble with though:

One thing I'm trying to use the hangars for is as a reusable cargo bay. For example, put some ore tanks in to mine and haul ore, then take them out and put some fuel tanks in to refuel some stations, etc. The problem comes when trying to transfer resources between an outside source and the stored tanks (eg. mining ore into the stored tanks, transferring fuel from a refueling depot to the stored tanks). Because the stored tanks are unloaded from the game and can only be accessed via the Hangar resource transfer window it becomes very cumbersome to transfer since the parent ship ends up acting like a buffer.

For example, let's say the parent ship has 1500 units of ore storage and has tanks in the hangar with 15000 units of storage (10x as much). In order to mine ore into the stored tanks I have to time warp until the parent ship's 1500 units are almost full, then cancel time warp, then click through the Hangar resource transfer screens, then run time warp again. Rinse and repeat 10x. It's quite a pain.

Am I missing something here? Is there any better way of doing this? If not, any chance of a new feature that provides some way to mine/transfer into stored containers directly?

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

@allista When using the stock inflatable heat shield (10m) on a vessel, your hangars seem to calculate the dimensions using the inflated shield, even though it starts out as deflated. This seems incorrect and very much contrary to the intention.

On 3/17/2018 at 6:02 PM, Zah said:

@allista When using the stock inflatable heat shield (10m) on a vessel, your hangars seem to calculate the dimensions using the inflated shield, even though it starts out as deflated. This seems incorrect and very much contrary to the intention.

Indeed it seems so. I'll check what's going on there, thanks.

On 2/8/2018 at 2:56 PM, eberkain said:

Is there a way to add Disable Staging to the payload fairing?  Mechjeb likes to deploy it at bad times.  

Unfortunately not. It's a matter of part.stagingIcon value which is set OnStart to "DECOUPLER_HOR".

I'll consider this as a feature request, though.

@francescopela, @drhay53 AVP may be the culprit. We had trouble with it and TCA recently: TCA was unable to calculate altitude. So AVP definitely changes something deep.

On 3/3/2018 at 7:51 PM, PnsTL1J6H4Kg said:

Hey @allista, first, thanks for such an awesome mod! Really excited for all the possibilities. There's one use case I'm having trouble with though:

One thing I'm trying to use the hangars for is as a reusable cargo bay. For example, put some ore tanks in to mine and haul ore, then take them out and put some fuel tanks in to refuel some stations, etc. The problem comes when trying to transfer resources between an outside source and the stored tanks (eg. mining ore into the stored tanks, transferring fuel from a refueling depot to the stored tanks). Because the stored tanks are unloaded from the game and can only be accessed via the Hangar resource transfer window it becomes very cumbersome to transfer since the parent ship ends up acting like a buffer.

For example, let's say the parent ship has 1500 units of ore storage and has tanks in the hangar with 15000 units of storage (10x as much). In order to mine ore into the stored tanks I have to time warp until the parent ship's 1500 units are almost full, then cancel time warp, then click through the Hangar resource transfer screens, then run time warp again. Rinse and repeat 10x. It's quite a pain.

Am I missing something here? Is there any better way of doing this? If not, any chance of a new feature that provides some way to mine/transfer into stored containers directly?

Thanks again!

No, there's currently no way to simplify this. But the feature request is noted. It's not an easy one, though: dynamic part resources are a pain.

Edited by allista

On 2/21/2018 at 11:02 AM, Warth_IX said:

I am not sure if anyone can help me on this one. I am working on doing a video series in KSP and want to use this mod however in order to fit my needs, I need to make some alterations to this mod but I am having difficulties.

Basically the issue I am having is I need the functionality of the mod but the existing hanger modules are not suitable for my needs.

So as I was looking through the parts I saw the square docking port and had a great idea. I could take that model and re-purpose it into two new hanger parts a Gate and a Lift respectively. 

The Idea was to have them able to be resized in tweekscale, and basically be hangers with zero capacity which would just determine the size of the ship that could enter into the hanger. That way i could put a hanger extension part inside my craft and use the offset tool to embed one of these new parts on the surface of my craft.

I have been looking through the source code and the config files and I am unable to determine where in the config files these various values are being set.

There is a lot of commented out lines of code which look like they might relate but they are commented out so I am unclear on how to proceed.

You need to use the HangarGateway module like it is done in AsteroidGateway part. This module defines the size limit for a ship, but not the storage; while the asteroid mined through the AsteroidHatch defines the storage. You can make a gateway part and attach it to a hangar extension and it will work the way you want. 

@allista another weird volume problem.

Using tracks from this mod (caveat, I'm still on 1.3.1 with everything):

They're not resized or anything, but somehow things get a bit excessive in volume calculation: https://imgur.com/a/mgXbX

Works just fine with stock wheels, idk what's going on here.

Have you considered allowing a sort of config file for problematic vehicles where the volume calculation is bugged, e.g. for the inflatable heat shield and these tracks -- manually enter the dimensions of a vehicle (in simple box format), with ID, as an external override? Could be a quicker fix/workaround, especially if these problems aren't related.

Edited by Zah

13 hours ago, Zah said:

@allista another weird volume problem.

Using tracks from this mod (caveat, I'm still on 1.3.1 with everything):

They're not resized or anything, but somehow things get a bit excessive in volume calculation: https://imgur.com/a/mgXbX

Works just fine with stock wheels, idk what's going on here.

Have you considered allowing a sort of config file for problematic vehicles where the volume calculation is bugged, e.g. for the inflatable heat shield and these tracks -- manually enter the dimensions of a vehicle (in simple box format), with ID, as an external override? Could be a quicker fix/workaround, especially if these problems aren't related.

That's a known problem that I'll fix ASAP.

Both the tracks and the inflatable shield are probably animated using SkinnedMeshRenderer and the algorithm that calculates volume doesn't take some scale factor into account. I'm just guessing here, but this is definitely a bug in the algorithm that should be fixed, not worked around.

On 3/20/2018 at 8:51 AM, allista said:

You need to use the HangarGateway module like it is done in AsteroidGateway part. This module defines the size limit for a ship, but not the storage; while the asteroid mined through the AsteroidHatch defines the storage. You can make a gateway part and attach it to a hangar extension and it will work the way you want. 

I have run into two issues in relation to to your posting.
The first is that if I use the asteroid hanger module if I use the offset tool to embed the Asteroid Hanger Gateway into the deck of a ship then it is unusable as the surface of whatever it is recessed into will prevent anything from actually entering the hanger.

The second is that the orientation is a problem, if I set it as for example a deck hatch on a carrier then when I try to launch a craft it will spawn nose up

Also the asteroid Hanger Gateway is not designed to be rescaled so if I insert the rescaling element from tweekscale manually will the hanger mod recognize that change and adjust the size limits for entry?

Edit: I just ran some checks and it looks like your mod actually has separate integrations with large boat parts so this issue is no longer as big of an issue

Edited by Warth_IX
New information.

Version 3.3.4 for Kerbal Space Program 1.4.1

Released on 2018-03-27

• In Editor stored vessels's convex hulls are rendered using an unlit solid mesh rather than a whireframe to improve performance.
    • This mesh is green when a vessel fits the hangar and red otherwise.
  • Fixed automatic game saving on vessel launch.
  • HangarFairings allow toggling of staging.

Download 

2 hours ago, allista said:

Forgot to mention it here, because the code is actually in AT_Utils, but the problems with inflatable heat shield and KF tracks are also solved :cool:

Neat. Still some mods I use not updated so it's going to have to wait :(

@allista
Having a question here... I play a highly modded career and the universe part count slowly is killing my loading times. If I remove ALL ships from the universe (~5000 parts, 40MBytes save currently), my VAB loading times drop from 30 to 10 seconds, the ship spawn times of a bigger ship drop from 60 secs to 30 secs.
The performance directly correlates to the save game size / universe part count. Unfortunately, I didn't have much, which is obsolete, when the career goal was, to colonize the kerbin system. At the current point I am getting to a state that nears unplayable. :(

Would it with the Hangars procedures maybe possible to unload a whole station like this?

https://imgur.com/viYAIdu

I mean, without flying it into a hangar. Maybe one could attach a new, special part, which has a menu entry to park the vessel where it's attached outside the save game. OK, then one maybe needs a general menu to re-spawn it.
If you think that's to over-powered, one could make the part renamed in the release, so that it's not active, but people who need this functionality could rename it to make it active and use it.

So the general idea is to park big things outside the save game until one needs them and re enables it. I mean, that is exactly what Hangars is for, but "on size bigger".
Or is there something else?

EDIT: One maybe doesn't even need a special part... an configuration option to enable a hidden menu like "unload vessel" and "reload vessel" from the hangars button/menu would maybe be enough?! :)

BR
JebsSY

Edited by Jebs_SY

2 hours ago, Jebs_SY said:

@allista
Having a question here... I play a highly modded career and the universe part count slowly is killing my loading times. If I remove ALL ships from the universe (~5000 parts, 40MBytes save currently), my VAB loading times drop from 30 to 10 seconds, the ship spawn times of a bigger ship drop from 60 secs to 30 secs.
The performance directly correlates to the save game size / universe part count. Unfortunately, I didn't have much, which is obsolete, when the career goal was, to colonize the kerbin system. At the current point I am getting to a state that nears unplayable. :(

Would it with the Hangars procedures maybe possible to unload a whole station like this?

https://imgur.com/viYAIdu

I mean, without flying it into a hangar. Maybe one could attach a new, special part, which has a menu entry to park the vessel where it's attached outside the save game. OK, then one maybe needs a general menu to re-spawn it.
If you think that's to over-powered, one could make the part renamed in the release, so that it's not active, but people who need this functionality could rename it to make it active and use it.

So the general idea is to park big things outside the save game until one needs them and re enables it. I mean, that is exactly what Hangars is for, but "on size bigger".
Or is there something else?

EDIT: One maybe doesn't even need a special part... an configuration option to enable a hidden menu like "unload vessel" and "reload vessel" from the hangars button/menu would maybe be enough?! :)

BR
JebsSY

I understand the problem; and the proposed solution -- packing some vessels into configs and saving those configs in separate files, then unpacking them into vessels on-demand -- would somewhat solve it. But purely technically it is so outside the scope of the Hangar. Sure, some pieces of code could be reused, but mostly it would require to write a completely new mod. Modularized Saves or something along these lines.

Edited by allista

4 minutes ago, allista said:

I understand the problem; and the proposed solution -- packing some vessels into configs and saving those configs in separate files, then unpacking them into vessels on-demand -- would somewhat solve it. But purely technically it is so outside the scope of the Hangar. Sure, some pieces of code could be reused, but for the mostly it would require to write a completely new mod. Modularized Saves or something along these lines.

Thx for your answer. :) I thought hangars already does that with vehicles... but when I read your answer, I assume it "only" unloads it from the physics scene and it stays in the save game, not unloading the whole vessel structure and saves it into a file, right?
A pity. Well, maybe I "just" need to change my playing style and/or career goals, then. Hmm.

13 minutes ago, Jebs_SY said:

Thx for your answer. :) I thought hangars already does that with vehicles... but when I read your answer, I assume it "only" unloads it from the physics scene and it stays in the save game, not unloading the whole vessel structure and saves it into a file, right?
A pity. Well, maybe I "just" need to change my playing style and/or career goals, then. Hmm.

That's exactly what happens: when unloading a vessel, a hangar saves it's entire configuration inside its own, so in the end the savefile contains the same information.

As with all honest simulations, when the universe grows, so grows the computational demand of the simulation.

Edited by allista

11 hours ago, Rabbit032 said:

Getting a crash when I try and deploy rovers, on very rare occasions it deploys without issue. Really want to get this working because I love the mod so much. :(

https://www.dropbox.com/s/douev537alkjc6c/crash.dmp?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3jzkfomvxu4iu11/error.log?dl=0

Unfortunately, these files don't tell much. Share the output_log.txt please.
The one strange thing I noticed though is the Unity version: 2017.1.3p1
I was under impression that KSP is build with 5.4.1p4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.