[1.9-1.10] Hangar

allista

[b]Do you use the [u]Desaturated Texture Pack?[/u][/b]  

326 members have voted

1. 1. [b]Do you use the [u]Desaturated Texture Pack?[/u][/b]

• Yes, the grey textures are more stock-like
    • No, the green-orange textures are fine

1 hour ago, Firebird989 said:

The cargo bays from OPT or NFT Launch Vehicules will be ideal.

The patch in Hangar/MM/Squad.cfg converts the stock Mk2 cargo bay into a hangar. Maybe is just as simple as copying that patch to other parts? I'll check and report back if it worked

Scratch that, just read the patch and it uses a modified Mk2/3 cargo bay model

Not modified, but the additional models that are added to the part via MODEL nodes of its config.

The original model stays as is, but to the tree transform several invisible meshes and colliders are added for the Hangar module to work.

So I think what this means is that I make a model in Blender with the "three very important objects" described in the HOWTO, which are just shapes, not surfaces. I try and make it the size and shape I think the inside of my target part is (which, thankfully, is "a big cuboid"). I import that into Unity doing something a bit like the HOWTO, and then I smoosh the results into the original part doing something like what the MM patch above does to the Mk2 bay.

Is that right? Likely to be nightmarishly hard above and beyond the usual fun-with-Blender?

1 hour ago, allista said:

Not modified, but the additional models that are added to the part via MODEL nodes of its config.

The original model stays as is, but to the tree transform several invisible meshes and colliders are added for the Hangar module to work.

Is that the reason why hangars can only be scaled or streched? I mean, the radial hangar for example, you can make it deeper or longer but not wider or taller. Think of a wide and flat hangar for storing spaceplanes, or the Mk3 hangar streched wide so as to make it more aerodynamic, thats what I'm looking for.

But anyways, even if it isn't possible, I thank you Allista because this mod made me able to enjoy KSP again. I was starting careers over and over because when I was trying to go interplanetary 50-100 parts ships caused my FPS to drop to single digits.

On 5/5/2022 at 7:04 PM, Forked Camphor said:

Is that the reason why hangars can only be scaled or streched?

The reason is the doors animation:

If you scale a model anisotropically with respect to rotation axis of a door, it would change its size while rotating. This... looks awkward, to say the least :D

Like this: 

[____ ____] -> [         ] -> ____[       ]____
                |       | <-the doors here are much shorter

On 5/5/2022 at 6:48 PM, damerell said:

So I think what this means is that I make a model in Blender with the "three very important objects" described in the HOWTO, which are just shapes, not surfaces. I try and make it the size and shape I think the inside of my target part is (which, thankfully, is "a big cuboid"). I import that into Unity doing something a bit like the HOWTO, and then I smoosh the results into the original part doing something like what the MM patch above does to the Mk2 bay.

Is that right? Likely to be nightmarishly hard above and beyond the usual fun-with-Blender?

Quite right.

Add to this that you can use the great https://github.com/taniwha/io_object_mu importer/exporter, which allows you to first import the part itself and use its meshes as the basis for the new ones (that's what I did with Mk2/3), and then to export the new meshes directly into .mu file without ever needing to launch Unity Editor.

7 hours ago, allista said:

The reason is the doors animation:

If you scale a model anisotropically with respect to rotation axis of a door, it would change its size while rotating. This... looks awkward, to say the least :D

Like this: 

[____ ____] -> [         ] -> ____[       ]____
                |       | <-the doors here are much shorter

Yesterday I was thinking of this while playing and I figure it out that was the case, and a flattened hangar, though cool, it will be a niche case use I suppose

On 5/7/2022 at 10:42 AM, allista said:

Add to this that you can use the great https://github.com/taniwha/io_object_mu importer/exporter, which allows you to first import the part itself and use its meshes as the basis for the new ones (that's what I did with Mk2/3), and then to export the new meshes directly into .mu file without ever needing to launch Unity Editor.

I was able to import the part OK and design the meshes (for anyone else trying to do this, I found the easiest way was to select the vertices of interest and write down their global positions, then just start with an empty file and create the two meshes and the transform in that, only smooshing the original model back in when I was done). Hooray! But can I really use the exported .mu? It's not clear to me how I'd then do the equivalent of the steps in the HOWTO under the heading "Adapting the Model".

ETA, mostly for the benefit of anyone else trying it; I tried the Unity editor steps. If I export as FBX 6.1 ASCII as the HOWTO suggests, Unity editor reports the part has no animations. If I export as binary, I get a part which animates spontaneously and inappropriately in the editor. At this point I hit upon the scheme of making some of the Hangar hangars scale anisotropically and giving them almost no mass, and concealing one of them inside my intended part to do the actual work, so I suspect I'm abandoning the idea of making other-mod parts into Hangars.

Edited by damerell

Hi I've just recently discovered this mod and really like the concept, but I've run into a bit of a stumbling block however, at design time. 

I'm planning to use my first ever hangar to keep the part count down, and to work around the finnicky nature of trying to put fairings and stacking stuff which lack top nodes, on a transfer stage carrying several relays with large dishes headed for the outer planets. 
I made my sample relay as a subassembly and sized the hangar up until it would fit, and then confidently hit the +1 button (capacity is at 9% so I'm guessing it should fit a few more) but all I get a "Part is already stored" message. 
I've also tried adding the extra relay as a saved vessel but got the same result. 

I'm running: KSP 1.12.3.3173 with Hangar -  3.6.2.2 

I'm also running a fairly consistent set of other mods:

https://controlc.com/a3486f69

Let me know if I'm doing something wrong or share logs or test something specific.

Thanks in advance,

Paolo Manili

Sorry for wasting everyone's time, even though I'd skimmed through the documentation more than once, I absolutely missed that quite a few of the Hangars are meant to store a single craft (and/or) single use). 
When using one of the non single craft ones the problem went away. 
However, it could stand to reason to edit the part descriptions so that it stands out a little bit more that that is the case, since in my install the Single use detail was all the way down and out of sight in the object properties, and the presence of the +1 button in the Edit Contents menu, together with the "Part is already loaded" message threw me off course in the search for the solution, enlightment and an increase in boosters. 

Thanks again for the quick reply @damerell

On 5/9/2022 at 4:04 PM, damerell said:

I was able to import the part OK and design the meshes (for anyone else trying to do this, I found the easiest way was to select the vertices of interest and write down their global positions, then just start with an empty file and create the two meshes and the transform in that, only smooshing the original model back in when I was done). Hooray! But can I really use the exported .mu? It's not clear to me how I'd then do the equivalent of the steps in the HOWTO under the heading "Adapting the Model".

I didn't use it myself for a long time, but it adds the controls to Blender that allow to set various properties to objects, making them, for example, into colliders. I know that many part modders use it solely, without Unity, for complete workflow. So I suggest you to read their forum thread for instructions:

ETA, mostly for the benefit of anyone else trying it; I tried the Unity editor steps. If I export as FBX 6.1 ASCII as the HOWTO suggests, Unity editor reports the part has no animations. If I export as binary, I get a part which animates spontaneously and inappropriately in the editor. At this point I hit upon the scheme of making some of the Hangar hangars scale anisotropically and giving them almost no mass, and concealing one of them inside my intended part to do the actual work, so I suspect I'm abandoning the idea of making other-mod parts into Hangars.

Why does your model for hangar adaptation has animations? If the original has, it should animate the doors and their colliders as is; the adaptation usually only adds the inner space mesh and the trigger collider, which are not animated (at least not in any hangar I know of).

Then again, I never had any difficulty with exporting animations through FBX 6.1, you just need to export with the "default take" option.

Success! Thank you.

For anyone else reading this and trying it, I found it easiest to import both my target part and a Hangar of approximately the right shape and characteristics (eg, don't use the Small VTOLHangar if you don't need the extra docking mesh) into Blender, make the target part be the parent of the meshes I want out of the Hangar, delete the rest of the Hangar, and manipulate the shape and size of the meshes to fit the model. Then the donor part's Hangar configuration lines can be transferred across to the target part's configuration file.

• 1 month later...

im having a  problem when i put the small box fairing hanger on top of a rocket the rocket wont lift off no mater how high my twr is it dosent happen with any of the other hangers  i asume its a mod conflict on my end but was wondering if any one else ever had it happen

Looks like the box fairing hangar is equipped with an anchor.  And the anchor doesn't seem to have any actions you can set in the editor.  Before you launch the rocket, bring up the PAW of the hangar and detach the anchor.

• 1 month later...

Hey, when I installed this mod, All of my cargo bays suddenly started acting like solid objects (it tried to place parts onto a flat surface where the doors would be instead of inside while the doors were open)  instead of being hollow. is there a way to install this mod but have it exclude the normal cargo bays? Or at least have them duplicate the Cargo Bays so there is a hanger version and a non hanger version? I usually include a cargo bay on my spaceplanes so I can put my EC storage, Supplies (for USI LS) and any additional bits and bobs like antennas and probe cores in there, things that i dont want to put into a 'Hanger'

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/11/2022 at 3:25 PM, wazup85 said:

im having a  problem when i put the small box fairing hanger on top of a rocket the rocket wont lift off no mater how high my twr is it dosent happen with any of the other hangers  i asume its a mod conflict on my end but was wondering if any one else ever had it happen

On 7/11/2022 at 6:14 PM, bcqJC said:

Looks like the box fairing hangar is equipped with an anchor.  And the anchor doesn't seem to have any actions you can set in the editor.  Before you launch the rocket, bring up the PAW of the hangar and detach the anchor.

I've had the same problem, but even with Auto-Attach Anchor disabled, and manually unattaching the anchor at the launchpad my rocket always considered itself "Landed at the Launchsite" on Kerbin. Even when I (brute forced) a landing on Mun and attached anchor there, and then deployed my stored Rover. It was still "Landed at Kerbin" and I got to "recover" it at full value, minus fuel and parts dropped off during launch/landing.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, bit of an issue. Im using the mod in 1.12 installed via CKAN. I dont see a button on the left side of my flight screen (IE. where the Mechjeb/Hyperedit etc. buttons are located) so I cant actually use my hangars. any idea why?

Edit: restarting my game fixed it lol

Edited by LOFTBI

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen people trying to make existing parts into hangars which seems to involve some relatively complicated modeling,

but wouldn't it make the most sense to make an invisible and collisionless hangar part that you can put inside a cargo bay and resize it to fit properly?

Perhaps have a cylindrical and a cuboid version? 

I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding something and it's not as simple as I thought.

On 8/29/2017 at 2:30 AM, allista said:

@B-STRK, so this issue had returned again :/

It's that IScalarModule framework that messes things up, but I honestly thought I've fixed it.

Will try to figure it out yet again...

To temporarily disabled have conversions of the stock bays, delete this patch:

https://github.com/allista/hangar/blob/master/GameData/Hangar/MM/Squad.cfg

@allista , Did you ever get back to fixing this issue?  Just curious.

12 hours ago, Clancythecat said:

I've seen people trying to make existing parts into hangars which seems to involve some relatively complicated modeling,

but wouldn't it make the most sense to make an invisible and collisionless hangar part that you can put inside a cargo bay and resize it to fit properly?

Mostly, as one of those people, I hadn't thought of that. However, I suspect you do about the same amount of fun-with-Blender to make an invisible part the right shape as you do to take an existing mesh; the hard bit was finding out how, not doing it once I knew how. Also, of course, if your invisible hangar part somehow comes adrift from the shell, endless comedy might ensue.

• 3 months later...

Would it be possible to have this mod not use extended solar panel size when calculating how large a hangar needs to be? Despite admitting to only taking up 2.2% of the total volume, this is how large Hangar tells me that it needs to be in order to hold just this rover.

screenshot1.png

This is what the UI claims the dimensions of the rover are.

screenshot0.png

And that's actually far larger than the expanded solar panel's size anyway. If I'm missing a setting somewhere and it's already in, let me know. Thanks!

20 hours ago, damerell said:

What makes you think the solar panel is the offending part?

Because when I remove it, the hangar doesn't demand an insane size. It's all well and good to have flush solar panels, but I wanted something large (and retractable) that could get me the EC I need to shunt science back home quickly, to make room for more of it on the rover. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.