The Plernerts!

Felsmak

VERY nice

Its supposed to be bigger than Jool, correct?

Its name should sound like the name of something enormous... but obviously not be a real word.

also, do you have a Deviantart page or somewhere else where you post art? (other than that facebook page)

Edited by jfull

That's correct! Before I switched to those warmer colours I was planning to call it Isus, after a planet created by RogueMason. But to my ears that sounds a little too cool and tranquil for this one (Sorry, Rogue). I think I'll call it Voon!

Yes, I do!

http://pineapple-insurance.deviantart.com/

How do you make those?

A little painting and lots of effects! :wink:

Edited by Felsmak

Another 4-letter, consonant-double vowel-consonant name?

seems a bit repetitive, but its your call.

Actually, maybe there's a reason they're all named that way. The planets might be named after a trio of deities from Kerbal mythology that are connected in some way... like siblings or something.

Hmm, that could of course be a problem. Thought of it more as a fun gas giant formula, but the Uranus analog should probably get a different name.

Yeah, that could work! I'll see if I can come up with some moderately R-rated mythology for them.

R-rated? Not something I generally associate with Kerbals

In my own Headcanon, Kerbal's can't actually have violent thoughts (they can understand that destruction and death happens, but they can't understand why anyone would intentionally destroy or kill). That's just my interpretation though.

Hehe, I was just joking. That's really how I see Kerbals too.

I do wonder what the mythological king of the Kerbal gods would choose to use his animal transformation skills for, though. Snack acquisition, perhaps?

So, now the legendary GP2 has some moons as well! I decided to dedicate that one to NovaSilisko, so it has the same moons that he wrote about in the Planet Ideas thread.

Anyway, Voon is a ringed and really huge gas giant, even bigger than Jool. It has eight moons, all of them quite small:

- Rocko, a jagged moon with steep, mostly vertical cliffs all over its surface.

- Daphy (Nova's), a tiny ball with practically no gravity at all.

- Eeloo (Nova's), an icy moon with lots of geysers coming through the cracks on its surface.

- Sotus, a ridiculously dark moon with deep cracks near its poles. These also seem to be responsible for the mysterious orange substance that covers parts of the surface.

- Fonso (Nova's), a not-so-pleasant desert world with tall mountain tops reaching high into its thick atmosphere.

- Blan, a generic moon with craters and not much else. It is the most boring place in the entire solar system, and should it actually appear in the game it would be that one moon that nobody has ever been to. Ever.

- Potatus (Nova's), a small moon that spins so fast it has become an oblate spheroid. Have fun!

- Ud, a strange saucer shaped rock that basically has its own natural balcony.

That's correct! Before I switched to those warmer colours I was planning to call it Isus, after a planet created by RogueMason. But to my ears that sounds a little too cool and tranquil for this one (Sorry, Rogue). I think I'll call it Voon!

For the record, folks, this is Isus (albeit outdated; I'll probably redo it):

692LyJc.jpg

Also, it's nice to see you still like the name, Felsmak :)

"Gloom" actually sounds like nice name to me.

Also, have you considered diverging from Uranus's color scheme?

I'm a big fan of KSP's similar-but-not-quite solar system, where the planets are analogous but don't always look the same as our system.

It would be cool to see a red-ish or purple-ish planet in the outer solar system, or maybe one with two colors in alternating cloud bands.

just my two cents on it

Yeah, I was thinking that two real looking gas giants was a little lazy. I'll go back and experiment a little. And it doesn't even have to be as pale and hazy as the real Uranus. It could have cloud bands like those of the first two!

But what's voon and naal

Those are stand-ins for the other gas giants that Squad hasn't created yet. They make the system look more complete and are also fun to make!

And here is the final planet, the red gas giant Orbo! It rolls on its side, just like Uranus, and it has icy rings and four equally icy moons.

- Luck, an asteroid orbiting below Orbo's rings, offering a spectacular view in both directions. Scientists are pretty sure that the tidal forces should have ripped it to pieces long ago, but apparently they haven't. They are not sure whether this should be cause for concern or not.

- Ump, a small moon covered in craters. It has a slightly inclined orbit, which gives it a nice view of the rings.

- Toop, an icy world with a tall mountain ridge protruding from its equator.

- Dack, another icy moon with a traumatic past. It has a huge impact crater on its northern hemisphere, and the collision that created it left it with cracks over its entire surface.

Orbo looks fantastic! I bet it would look even cooler with those icy rings you talked about; they'd contrast with the planet's color quite nicely

And its very neat to see an Iapetus-type moon. I don't think any current theories adequately explain its equatorial ridge... kinda spooky

It would be amazing if a talented modder could recreate these in-game

There might be a slight problem with recreating Voon though... you could definitely make a planet with an oblate spheroid shape, but I think that atmospheres in KSP are always spherical. There wouldn't be a way to get the atmosphere to conform to the shape of the planet.

Edited by jfull

Thanks, everyone! :D

THESE ARE INCREDIBLE!!! :D

How do you make these? It doesn't have to be an elaborate explanation, I'm just curious about the major steps you do to make these brilliant pieces of artwork.

They're actually quite simple. They're really just coloured circles with a ton of effects added to make them look less like mere coloured circles, especially the gas giants. The cloud bands basically come from fuzzy, black and white stripes that I twist around with Photoshop's Liquify tool.

For the rocky planets I just add a cloudy layer of "detail" on top of the circle. Then I use some layer effects to give them craters and atmospheres - the airless bodies gets fake ones that are meant to give them some volume - and then I add a shadow in the back. Smooth and soft for atmospheres, and rough and hard for no atmospheres.

Heh, maybe I will eventually! Nothing I feel like doing at the moment, though. I just draw planets.

Anyway, here is a picture of the Pluto system!

K5l2AQr.jpg

While I was scaling the bodies I also realized that Kerbin is actually the same size as Charon. I already knew it was small and all, but still!

SPU2jKP.jpg

Edited by Felsmak

Ha, I just realized that Kerberos sounds like a Kerbal thing!

Anyway, I find it interesting that an object the size of Pluto could have 5 moons (You could even consider Pluto and Charon to be a binary object with 4 moons) all in roughly circular, equatorial orbits.

I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that Pluto is so far from the sun and all the planets, meaning that it is in a gravitationally "calm" area of space, and can easily collect small objects without interference.

Or, it might have something to do with Pluto and Charon's close proximity to each other allowing for small objects to get gravity assists that bring them into orbit of Pluto (think Duna and Ike).

Edited by jfull

Also, why are parts of Vall and Duna bright orange where they shouldn't be?

Because FREEDOM! <insert bald eagle here>

No, but I wanted Vall to look more like Europa (that colour would also be brown), and Duna was the first one I drew. Should probably redraw some of those planets now.

Here, I'm drawing our Solar System!

NeHh9V3.jpg

I have a request: Do Prominatus and it's moons form my Kerbol+ idea: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/88952-Kerbol-Planets-Pack-Idea

Read my thread and make the planets described in that, but also take these statements into consideration.

Make Prominatus very similar colored as Neputune, 9000 KM diameter (Larger then Jool), and have rings like saturn that are similarly colored as itself.

For Daphy, make it Blue-ish, because it's essentially a tiny fluffy blob of rings.

For Potatus and Fonso, make Potatus more Potato colored, and make Fonso have some canyons. (If you can mange that level of detail), and it should look more like it has an atmosphere 2 atmospheres dense.

And for Mania, make the side facing Prominatus look like Europa, and the side facing away from it look like Io.

Yeah, first I want you to make Prominatus and it's moons, and then after that Hypat and Siliskus, here are statements for those:

Hypat: Just as described in the thread, giant Titan from space.

Flark: Boring moon with faint rings.

Brutat: Generic asteroid moon.

Fut: As described in the post.

Siliskus: Make 2 similar versions, one with a comet effect, and one without it.

Like I said, first Prominatus, then Hypat and Siliskus, But I sure do hope that you do a wonderful job making these!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.