Question: Making Texture, only having round Pics?

SkyRex94

So long term (Around the start of September) i plan to start working on my own Planet Pack, with the Kopernicus Mod (which will hopefully have a public WIP Version till then)

Just found a nice Site : http://planetmaker.wthr.us

And by trying a little i got IMO a really nice Gas Giant :

3mZlps8.jpg

Problem is: The Site is just for Looks, you can't export a Texture :(

So to get a First feeling in KSP i took some straight on Screenshots and glued my own Texture together with Pic-Parts and a lot oft struts.

Thats how it looks: http://imgur.com/a/e3j4a#0

Not particualr bad but way from the generated Original (And the Polar Regions really look bad)

So question for Graphic-talents (I'm not so good with graphics)

Is there a good way making a flat texture out of round planet front pics (assuming you have 4 or 8 different, from all Sides, but not straightly lined up so the lines could be slightly off)?

So question for Graphic-talents (I'm not so good with graphics)

Is there a good way making a flat texture out of round planet front pics (assuming you have 4 or 8 different, from all Sides, but not straightly lined up so the lines could be slightly off)?

Short answer is yes, but it's complicated. I would suggest that you instead download Space Engine (it's free) and go scouring its procedurally generated universe for beautiful planets, because Space Engine has the ability to export surface texture maps.

Best of luck!

I have tested Space Engine, but all the gas giants doesn't look like i want it. They all have quite continuous stripes around them and not so scattered clouds. (like the ones on Neptune but preferable more) Space Engine seems good for solid Planets but not so good for Gas Giants IMO.

Then I'd say that you should go looking for Photoshop (or whatever you use) tutorials on how to create clouds and then try to combine the two somehow. This is not my area of expertise however, so hopefully there is someone else on here who can be more helpful.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.