Concept Rockets

Sauron

UPDATES!

hPrLBJB.png

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Duwjgqg.jpg

I've been doodling rockets! This one is a vaguely Soyuz-like dealie with a kerolox (or N2O4/UDMH, perhaps?) core and four solid motors and second stage of the same. An upper stage would be hidden inside the fairing as needed.

I reckon that this rocket is slightly larger than a Soyuz--closer to a Long March 2E in size and configuration (so between 15 and 20 tons to LEO).

The hi-viz yellow makes it go faster :cool:

A To-Scale Comparison of the Rockets So-Far:

Sp2dI09.jpg

Edited by Sauron

Also, a derivative of the above: a smaller, cheaper small satellite (or Mercury-sized capsule) launcher. Seven-segment SRB for first stage, kerolox or N2O4/UDMH second stage, and third stage in/immediately below the fairing. Satellite launch fairing configuration shown.

whXE0hy.jpg

Also, I'm trying to figure out these guys' rivals' rockets. I reckon hypergolic+solids and angry hi-viz yellow is a pretty solid theme for these guys. (So I'm taking suggestions/inspiration for other rockets!)

pcCqFra.jpg

A five-man capsule based on Vostock. The descent module is (just) slightly larger than a soyuz's and the habitation/equipment module is immediately behind (and substantially larger than soyuz. This has the disadvantage of a capsule with two major structural holes, one in the heat shield. Beh. It's prettier this way. :P

Also, a derivative cargo module:

pSeMIF6.jpg

Edited by Sauron

A fairly cramped 2 man (and in shirtsleeves at that!) pod and the recolored rocket to match (plus an LES fairing with grid fins).

Unfortunately, my 3d skills aren't quite up for this, but if I can find a modeler, I can churn out loads and loads of concepts.

These were done in Autorealm--it's technically mapping software, but it's excellent grid functions and simpplicity make for a much more pleasant experience than Photoshop or Illustrator.

vriQ6PO.jpg

ICGpXqw.jpg

03rtu7l.jpg

A 2-module space station derived from the 5-man capsule's habitation and service module. The station is pretty small--smaller than Mir in terms of diameter. Module 1 ("Prosperity") is a power and service module. The second module (the node) is used for storage, habitation, and living space.

My grid is in Imperial and that's set in stone. I have faith that everyone here is numerate enough to divide by 3.3 in their heads :)

5jL8JTw.jpg

g9BBmai.jpg

The first spacecraft of the rival power--a reusable orbiter (launched on a conventional rocket stack) with a 6-man crew. Crew sit to the rear while fuel and life support are in the front. Scale on this one is a bit iffy, but it's probably a shirtsleeves-only type setup.

d6AOztz.jpg

I really like these, I might throw some rudimentary models together if I can find the time between working on my plugins and my game project. :P

That cargo craft and station based on the 5 man pod are my favorites, but this new shuttle craft is a close second. +rep

Decided I would try and work on something while I'm taking a break from other stuff:

This is the top part of the cargo module, I need to add details to it (both mesh and texture stuff) but I kinda like it so far. I think it looks better with a less glossy surface (you can kinda see how that would look by switching render mode to "Shadeless" in the bottom right corner) but it's up to you to decide how you want it done.

I was also unsure of the size, is a little more than 2.5 across at the widest part about right? It seems like it would be a bit big for use in KSP.

Edited by OrbitusII

zekes, I was just about to do that! I'll take this image down if you want Sauron, but here is a thing I quickly made in AutoREALM.

It's called the Saturn VH: (The H stands for HydroLox/Hydrogen)

FxCK7Hl.jpg

I Just remembered!!! I forgot to put side SRBs on the first stage!!! Derp. And I made the first stage a little to short. Maybe I'll fix that later.

RE Scale: These are built to RL rather than Kerbal scale. So you're going to have some problems directly adapting them to standard 1.25/2.5m scales :). The descent module on the 5 man pod is about 7.5 ft in radius--it's a pretty convenient scale baseline to work with. If you were making a fully KSP styled ship you'd have to make some design decisions about what's smaller or larger. Also, I envision the red on those modules to be Russian-style insulation blankets (maybe?).

RE Other Art: Yeah, if you want! :) (but I suspect you'll get more traffic with your own thread if that's a concern).

Also, I've made the rival power's first proper rocket--it's a Saturn V analogue (comparable payload) and the largest example here so far with a 30 foot diameter and ~380 feet in height. Also, it's violently mugging the Atlas in terms of stolen design elements :P Unlike the Atlas, S1 engines aren't dropped--the base is just for spacing. Also unlike Atlas, it's a 3 stage vehicle (Cryogenic EDS (S3) is hidden under the fairing).

This rocket is probably methalox all the way through (possibly with a solid-core NTR EDS for added lunacy... (Hurr hurr!)--these are the bad guys after all). And if it is NTR they may go for a direct ascent profile.

AffWfXE.jpg

Edited by Sauron

Also, engines:

mEwRlga.jpg

These are probably associated with the first power's vehicles--not sure whether they would be a cluster or not (since the first power's engines are all hidden under shrouds). If one was hell-bent on modeling KSP parts, these might be a good place to start! :sticktongue:

RE Scale: These are built to RL rather than Kerbal scale. So you're going to have some problems directly adapting them to standard 1.25/2.5m scales :). The descent module on the 5 man pod is about 7.5 ft in radius--it's a pretty convenient scale baseline to work with. If you were making a fully KSP styled ship you'd have to make some design decisions about what's smaller or larger. Also, I envision the red on those modules to be Russian-style insulation blankets (maybe?).

Cool, good to know. For the prototype parts I'm making for KSP I settled on a body diameter a bit over 1.25m. I might scale them up later but I think it's good for now.

nFubWTY.png

I definitely need to spruce up the textures, they're really dull at the moment but I like the idea of having a hard-body cargo system. I'll reserve the blankets for when I get around to the crew module. I simply need to add some more texture to the textures. :P

OrbitusII, when do you think you'll be able to turn those awesome spacecraft into a mod capable of it's own thread? It's gonna be AWESOME! :cool:

The parts I'm working on now are just anti-stress parts. Seriously, I am so done with AALG that I'm making another mod to calm myself down from making the first mod. :P

It really depends on how much time I can find. I have stuff I need to be working on for college, I have other mods to work on, and then I'm also developing a game with Helldiver... But I'll see what I can do. :cool:

I'm always happy to churn out concept art :P

As far as actual rockets, the Saturn-analogue is probably the most fun (IMO).

Awesome! That Saturn V analogue does look pretty awesome, I like the colors. :D

I rescaled the parts already so the width at the top of the cargo module is 1.875 meters, which I like better than 1.25 and 2.5. It's bigger but not so big that it feels out of place. It'll also be easier to make the fairing for the engines this way.

5SWjzrc.png

Edit: Yep, that scale will work just fine. Engines might need to be downsized to match their thrust better though.

det76jY.png

Edited by OrbitusII

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.