[1.2] Biomatic biome sensor

Biff Space

@Biff Space Good news, bad news boss: The above worked (I thought I had done that already, apparently not) and the button works fine.

The much worse news, however, is log spam. I get the below, a mile a minute. As in, over a twenty minute period, I got over a million entries. It's causing severe performance issues. It's at the INFO level, and it's non-stop chatter about Toolbar buttons (I've done this with both stock and blizzy's, results are the same). KSP resource usage is through the roof according to my resource monitor, game stutters on just looking around while landed. Turning off Biomatic in game makes no difference.

Yeah. It's really, really bad.

Otherwise, it does what it says on the tin.:D

Spoiler

160608T184421.835 [INFO] [ToolbarButtonWrapper.LogFormatted] 6/8/2016 6:44:21 PM,Biomatic-ToolbarButtonWrapper,ToolbarButtonWrapper: Got ToolbarManager Instance 'ToolbarManager (Toolbar.ToolbarManager)'.  Getting 'add' method.
160608T184421.835 [INFO] [ToolbarButtonWrapper.LogFormatted] 6/8/2016 6:44:21 PM,Biomatic-ToolbarButtonWrapper,ToolbarButtonWrapper: Got ToolbarManager Instance 'add' method.  Loading IButton.
160608T184421.835 [INFO] [ToolbarButtonWrapper.LogFormatted] 6/8/2016 6:44:21 PM,Biomatic-ToolbarButtonWrapper,ToolbarButtonWrapper: Loaded IButton.  Adding Button with ToolbarManager.
160608T184421.850 [INFO] [ToolbarButtonWrapper.LogFormatted] 6/8/2016 6:44:21 PM,Biomatic-ToolbarButtonWrapper,ToolbarButtonWrapper: Loading ToolbarManager.

Edited by Deimos Rast

OK, I have uploaded a new version to Spacedock. This just has all the debug log code stripped out, so it should solve the problem for this mod at least. What puzzles me is that the debug log code should only be called in debug mode, and if my code is running in debug mode, other mods may be too. I would keep an eye on your log file to see if other excessive comments turn up.

There is also a new feature in this release: sound. There is now a button which cycles between three options: no sound, beep on entering an unticked biome, and beep on any biome change. 

I wouldn't say strip it out as that would make your life more difficult, but maybe make it an option in the config?

Edit:

I'm looking at nailing down a loose end on my side regarding the debug thing and I'll rerun the original mod again to see if I get the chatter.

Edit2:

@Biff Space

It turns out this one was on me entirely. Your debug code was fine, at least it's absent from my log now (in the old version). Sorry to waste your time. :(

Edited by Deimos Rast

• 2 weeks later...

If you are playing a career or science mode game, then you need to research the Space Exploration tech tree node before you can use Biomatic. This applies to the part (which is unavailable until then) and to Biomatic functionality applied to command pods by Module Manager (until researched, the button is greyed-out and does nothing). 

However, I have never tested Biomatic with RO and RSS. I assume that they use stock-alike biomes, in which case there should be no problem. Can anyone confirm whether they have used Biomatic successfully with RO/RSS?

If you have researched Space Exploration and the problem remains, there is something wrong. Are there any messages from Biomatic in the log file?

• 2 weeks later...

Great mod! Is the list of "ticked" biomes specific for each ship or is it global? here's my use case...I sent one ship out with on set of experiments and I want to tick off biomes as that ship completes its experiments. The next ship I send will have different experiments though, so I would want all the biomes to start unticked so I can capture all the science.

Does the second ship start with all biomes unticked or do I have to go back and somehow clear the ticked list?

1 hour ago, tjt said:

Does the second ship start with all biomes unticked or do I have to go back and somehow clear the ticked list?

There is only one list, so the second ship will have some biomes ticked even if the new experiments haven't been done there. I designed it to have a one-mission scope, so you'd complete one set of experiments, say EVA reports, and then some time later when you have the gravioli detector, you'd clear the list and do all the biomes again with the new experiment.

I will look into a per-ship option when I have some time, but I can't promise anything. Ships each have an ID number in the persistence file, but I'm not sure how that is affected by docking and undocking. It may be too much kerfuffle to be worth doing, but I will have a look.

I think there is at least one other mod which keeps track of which experiments have been done and alerts you when there is new science to do, but I can't remember what it is called.

Got it. I'm using (X) Science to track science by biome. It doesn't have a pause warp feature. I was looking to use yours to help pause me when I'm warping around a moon. 

how do you "clear the list"?

1 hour ago, tjt said:

how do you "clear the list"?

There is a button in the settings part of the GUI which allows you to clear all the ticks from the body you are in orbit around, it is labelled 'Remove Mun biomes from list' (etc). There isn't a way to clear all bodies' ticks from the GUI, but that will stay because you can only be in orbit around one body at a time! :)

@PART[Biomatic]:Final
{
        %TechRequired = start
        %cost = 0
        %entryCost = 0
}

That MM config can be placed into any BiomaticHack.cfg file (or whatever you'd like to call it) in the GameData folder and it'll move the Biomatic part to the start node in the tech tree and make it costless -- once 'purchased' it'll unlock the GUI for all command modules...

On 6/19/2016 at 7:53 AM, Biff Space said:

Can anyone confirm whether they have used Biomatic successfully with RO/RSS?

Seems to be working fine so far...

Edited by Jim DiGriz

9 hours ago, boborene said:

Usefully mod, to bad is crashing with outer planet mode.

There isn't a released version of Outer Planets for KSP 1.1.3 yet. Problems like this are likely if you mix and match mods and KSP versions that were never expected to run together. I will have a look to see if there are problems in my mod if crashes occur with a version of OPM released for use with 1.1.3.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! I like the mod so far.  If I remove a planet's biomes from the list, is there a way to get them back?  What exactly does this function do?

Edited by gckearns
Silly question. Made more relevant.

Hi, glad you like the mod. :)

The list maintained by Biomatic is just the list of all the biomes you have ticked as you carry out experiments during a mission. When you get a new bit of scientific equipment, you will want to clear the list so that the de-warp feature works for all the biomes again, and you can do the experiment and tick them off.

The list is more a list of biomes visited, and clearing it doesn't remove anything except your notes of where you've been.

The way I use it is to go to the Mun, say, and do all the EVA reports while 'in space near' all the different biomes. As I do this, I'll tick the biomes I've done so that the de-warper only works when there is a new EVA report to get. Later in the career, when I unlock the gravioli detector, I want to go to all those biomes again and do a gravity experiment, so I will clear the list (and thus de-warp on every biome in the new ship, adding them to a new list as I go).

• 1 month later...

Hey, great mod. I'm having some issues however; the system works regardless of tech research or on/off status. It will de-warp at any biome crossing, regardless of activation or whether the biome has already been ticked. I know I had this working acceptably previously so I really don't know what screwed the pooch, but any help would be great.

Also as a small suggestion, would it be possible to make the de-warp activate "X" distance/time before the biome border, so that when a very small biome is crossed we are given a slightly larger window within which to catch it/ preform science?

###EDIT###

I do believe the fault is mine, something to do with the fact that I have a command pod with a scientist in it AND a probe body for SAS and one of my other mods is causing to two to fight for "Control from here" rights. When the probe body wins it appears to be using its own biomatic settings, or something strange is happening there. Regardless, since I know your mod doesn't have anything to do with command control or the like I'm highly certain its not your fault, sorry about that.

Edited by poweredbypot
update

OK, it turns out I am having a real problem with Biomatic. It seems as though the mod refuses to respect any of its own (or my) instruction. It makes a sound and cancels warp no matter what you tell it to do, or whether the biome has been marked already. It also seems to function without the requisite technology or module, which causes all sorts of havoc.

I am only using MechJeb2, DMagic, scansat and X Science. No clue what the cause may be :( sorry.

###EDIT###

It's a conflict with [X] Science.

Whenever the X Science window is open, Biomatic seems to forget that it has settings and begins to stop you at every biome crossing with a sound effect.

Edited by poweredbypot

Thanks for the bug report. I will install [x] Science and see if I can find the problem. 

Regarding your suggestion about looking ahead for biome boundaries, I will have a look, but it will involve changing a simple map check to some more complex calculations about the orbit. It's a good idea but it may take more of a re-write than I have time for at the moment. 

• 4 weeks later...

Please tell me that there is an update coming for 1.2.  This is one of the most useful mods ever (up there with Kerbal Engineer) and should really be integrated into the stock game (along with the aforementioned KE mod), in my opinion.

Also, would you consider integrating both of your mods (Biomatic and Biomatic For All Command Modules) so there is only one thing to download?

13 hours ago, Leo_G. said:

Please tell me that there is an update coming for 1.2.  This is one of the most useful mods ever (up there with Kerbal Engineer) and should really be integrated into the stock game (along with the aforementioned KE mod), in my opinion.

Also, would you consider integrating both of your mods (Biomatic and Biomatic For All Command Modules) so there is only one thing to download?

High praise indeed, thanks! :)

On to the substance: Yes, I do intend to release it for 1.2. At the moment I have compiled a working version with the 1.2 pre-release, but I am not going to release it until the official 1.2 is out, just in case there are any last-minute changes which cause something to break (unlikely, I think).

More concerning to me is that the Biomatic For All Command Modules is nothing to do with me. Someone has bundled my mod with a new name (..for all command modules), made an account with my name on some other file sharing site, and uploaded their bundle. This is rude and causes me more work, and I do not appreciate it. I am not going to check their upload or support it - it may or may not do what it says. It may or may not be harmful. Further, it is unnecessary - if you install ModuleManager, Biomatic functionality is automatically added to all command pods anyway. 

My mods are only available on spacedock.info. I strongly recommend against downloading mods from any other site which purport to be mine - they are not. I use the name "Biff Space" (with a space) here on the KSP forum, and "BiffSpace" (with no space) on SpaceDock, and nowhere else. 

Released a new version for KSP 1.2. 

On 7/1/2016 at 5:24 PM, tjt said:

Is the list of "ticked" biomes specific for each ship or is it global? here's my use case...I sent one ship out with on set of experiments and I want to tick off biomes as that ship completes its experiments. The next ship I send will have different experiments though, so I would want all the biomes to start unticked so I can capture all the science.

New functionality: There is now a button to toggle between per-vessel and global tick-lists for this use-case. 

4 hours ago, Biff Space said:

New functionality: There is now a button to toggle between per-vessel and global tick-lists for this use-case. 

Cool!   :)  

• 2 months later...
On 10/14/2016 at 3:40 AM, Biff Space said:

This has behaved correctly for me in 1.2.2 but CKAN still only shows it as 1.2 compatible.  It probably needs nothing more than updating the version info.

• 7 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.