[tuto] A REAR small GEARBAY complement to Stock PART (0.24.2) v1.4

stephm

A REAR small GEARBAY complement to Stock PART

0ibL4r3.jpg

Rear small gear bay constituted by two part LEFT an RIGHT gear using same texture

complement for the smallGearbay stock part.

Version INFO

- Compiled for KSP 0.24.2

- VERSION 1.4 12/08/14 (English version) (FREE to USE)

Feature/ Fonction

- Rear Gear / train AR : fully animated

- Animated landing gear with light controlled by steer (see development thread)

- Status light and bay light

Utilisation /USAGE

- standard version

- And for the right part after the part is placed , right click the part and choose invertsteering (for a correct movement for light)

- this part is designed to work with the small gear bay

- Need only two axis movements to place part :

• QWERTY : use A & D to turn the part front or rear, and Q & E for correct angle
  • AZERTY : use Q & D to turn the part front or rear, and A & E for correct angle

(work for the both gear )

- After looking LOG stay some messages error like (Wheelcollider need rigid body).

- But stock part have same error log, so may be it's normal

Install / Installation

- Unpack all content in respective folder !

- If you want extract the SHIPs folder for preequiped (stock)plane with this gear.

Uninstallation Instructions

- Remove the RearSmallGearBay folder from Gamedata !!

- NO LICENSE -

- This two parts are free to use No license.

- You can modify (texture, geometry etc.) , share, if you want !

DOWNLOAD

- BLender FILE

- Assets.rar -> UNITY stuff

- COMPILED PART

- megafileupload - (free account)

- mediafire - (free account)

Info Compilation

Part for Ksp
Version 1.4 12/08/14
-Added some bump for the texture (more detailed on tile ceramic surface).
-The 3 planes, now show correct position on runway, and completely reworked (fly with FAR plug)
-Error scale suppressed, the two gear work with rescale and keep the same size.
-Bug on placement caused by scale error, corrected.
-added screenshot of example plane in archive (Screenshots).

Version 1.3 11/08/14
-Cosmetic upgrade, translation cfg file French to English (in cfg not for : name =.... , to avoid save breaking)
-Added some key advice on how to place part !.
-For now if you want to stay with 1.2 do touch anything, nothing is changed except language !!

Version 1.2 11/08/14
-Mesh Modified in wheel part (main piston attach to wheel), back of this part is remapped on main texture (no specular like piston)
-Material for Piston (shader specular) modified (to much blue), try to approach chrome effect !
-Removed assigned texture to Flagdecal (no needed, and no error line in log file, for this missing texture)

Version 1.1 7/08/14
-Remove MBM texture to much loose in detail for the Normal Map.
-Little tweak on smoothing group on small part, and Wheel.
-Minor modification on Geometry For the wheel and Main Mesh Collider.
-Png format is now the main Texture.
Version Alpha 1.03 3/08/15
-Changed TechRequired to landing same level of smallGearBay
-changed entryCost = 3200
-changed cost = 1000
Version Alpha 1.02 3/08/14
-Added BrakeTorque in cfg file to correct the the braking effect
Version Alpha 1.01 2/08/14
-revision of Bumpmap better definition, reworked with Xn normal
-the MBM version stay in low quality du to conversion format sorry for that
-Correction of stiffness Factor to 0.25
-correction extremun and asymptote to 2500 and 1000
-added png texture, in 2048 format lesser size than MBM and better quality for bump and text
Version ALpha 1.0 1/08/14
- for testing.

-Added UNITY scene File for the Right GEAR (tuto make the LEFT :)), not really for beginner :wink:

-Added Blender File + textures for tutorial purpose.

od0655bfnhnhh4f2g.jpg

All credit of this presentation to sumghai, and because i love is mod too !!!!

Thank to all community of modders (nli2work, lo-fi, Justin-Kerbice and Cpt.Kipard to help me and follow my little trip) here no part without us

And of course Remerciement à la KSP team for this great SIMULATOR !!!

Edited by stephm
update future plan and revision

Great idea,

Perhaps a future version could include a feature that allows us to control the height of the gear? Like a slider or something. I often find it difficult to fit gear on Space planes without lowering the gearbay with some other part.

HI !

@Kebra and TheScareCake :

If you look on the plane i place in download, the gear practically fit to align plane using the small gear bay, it's possible

to reduce the gear scale a little to fit perfect.

But the idea to control the height is good, in the way wheelcolliders work it's difficult, at my level lol !

To make that , the entire suspension must be reworked, and I think the amount of displacement to change

the height will be little, but yeah it's possible I just need to learn how to :blush: !, by module of course.

@KAO if you look the dev post they are some pictures on ground and space !!

@+

hi !

@Read-have-Read:

the idea for this part, for my use and because I love make SSTO with some tank under wing, I have need a rear gear

with a correct height. (garde au sol in French)

The angled part give the ability to tweak the hight of the rear and the deport is good to place some tank in middle.

But they are so many possibility, and each case need a specific gear, but with this gear if you tweak the scale for

you own purpose I could be more reliable on others size (bigger size) or inverse scaled down for smaller aircraft.

At this moment I'm not enough good to have possibility of tweaking by module some parameter of this gear, the idea

given on other post about modified height by module is good too...

They are so many thing to do for all part in ksp :cool:, but that demand an enormous work cause of the lack of information

especially for my level not good at all I have difficulty on each segment of modding to make a part (I talk for me..)

do you have tested the part ?

@+

@MightyDarkStar :

it's already the second version , version 1.0 was uploaded before version 1.01

but may be the link (in red ) it no enought intuitive , back to original link color perhaps

@+

edit : changed the color of putfile's download link to normal color.

and corrected the big fault :blush: on the word download......

I'm on the way to think about a front gear, with modifiable height !

much easy to do on a center gear .

Edited by stephm

hi !

Version 1.03 upgrade

Include previous upgrade for breaking parameter

Now the brake are more reliable, I use the BrakeTorque = 5.0 option

in ModuleLandingGear, it's seem to be work fine !

some modification for Cost and tech to match the smallGearBay

-TechRequired = landing

-entryCost = 3200

-cost = 1000

(you can change manually the both cfg file if you want, download link actualized)

see first post.

steph.

@

thank ! you :wink:

(I have passed the part to standard version come only in PNG now, it's my choice, the MBM

version loose to much details for Normal Map in the way how I manage my texture

But for now PutFile is out, and I'm looking the free other hosting files)

steph

@+

Edit: Updated link, add putfile later if it work

Edited by stephm

hi !

version 1.2

Last update about texture and geometry, (as always I'm never satisfied by my work......)!

Just modified the Shader and texture for cylinder (to much blue) and try to approach chrome style in KSP.

The Main cylinder (with linked wheel) was mapped with cylinder shader material, I have separate the mesh

back of the mesh (between the wheel) is now mapped on the main texture (no specular) .

and the top (cylinder) stay mapped with the cylinder shader.

I think is better now, before this modification this mesh as you will notice the other mesh cylinder was almost blue on day light ..

(see first post, upgraded to 1.2 version.)

steph

Hi !

hi Justin Kerbice !

Maybe translating text (part name & description)
, it's for the cfg file that's right ?

For placing part, I have no choice (tested some other orientation), If you look other part sometime

it's not very easy to manipulate, I can try to modify the cfg file for a good placement but for now it's

the best I have find for correct representation in vab and sph (icon) and placement on other part.

i'v just modified upload to minor thing:D, may be an another 1.3 version come soon

with English cfg (remind you, French is my native language, so may be error for English in cfg lol)

I'm looking to correct the SPH, VAB orientation axis.

steph

hi !

Version 1.3 for English reading !! (updated) (sorry for all these little modifications)

hello Joshwood69, and why not but that demand a little work :wink:, for now the big thing I have to do

it's the front gear with some module tweak on the pitch plane (and perhaps some parameter on gear).

But for a smaller gear it's easy by the rescale option in cfg to have smaller GEAR but stay in 45 degree angle !

(I keep an option with the module scale everything, but I need a full configuration rear gear and new front to do that).

voilà

steph

....you have to set both parts separately?

hi !

@J.Random :

Yes they are two part but only one type of texture, it's a non symmetrical part, other

gear like smallgearBay have the axis on the middle, this gear is completely shifted left or right according if is left or right part. (like fighter jet)

But if you say it's possible to assign atomically the symmetry part without adding a separate part give me the way to do that ! :wink:

steph

you can do it but the wheel design needs to be forward/backward agnostic. it's a little difficult to explain, but basically if you consider world axis in KSP, SPH will mirror parts along Z/-Z. so if you prebuild a 90 degree rotation so the part is aligned to Z/-Z in lateral deployment, the part will mirror and work when rotated in SPH to actual lateral attachment position in X/-X. check my post in lo-fi's wheel module thread for image of it working and few caveats.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.