Why I hate 64-bit

LameLefty

In regards to the hack working or not, its incredibly buggy, to the point of not being usable. I was using stock with the KSO as memory testing, and it still crashed at about 2.2GB's of ram. I think it would be best to just wait till Unity puts out a more mature x64 release.

In regards to the hack working or not, its incredibly buggy, to the point of not being usable. I was using stock with the KSO as memory testing, and it still crashed at about 2.2GB's of ram. I think it would be best to just wait till Unity puts out a more mature x64 release.

Where did you get 64 bit unity player? It's not in the PlaybackEngines folder:

AndroidDevelopmentPlayer            LinuxStandalonePlayer
AndroidPlayer MacDevelopmentStandalonePlayer
BB10DevelopmentPlayer MacStandalonePlayer
BB10Player NaclPlayer
FlashSupport WebPlayer
Linux32HeadlessStandalonePlayer Windows64StandalonePlayer
Linux64DevelopmentStandalonePlayer WindowsDevelopmentStandalonePlayer
Linux64HeadlessStandalonePlayer WindowsStandalonePlayer
Linux64StandalonePlayer iPhonePlayer
LinuxDevelopmentStandalonePlayer

Where did you get 64 bit unity player? It's not in the PlaybackEngines folder:

AndroidDevelopmentPlayer            LinuxStandalonePlayer
AndroidPlayer MacDevelopmentStandalonePlayer
BB10DevelopmentPlayer MacStandalonePlayer
BB10Player NaclPlayer
FlashSupport WebPlayer
Linux32HeadlessStandalonePlayer Windows64StandalonePlayer
Linux64DevelopmentStandalonePlayer WindowsDevelopmentStandalonePlayer
Linux64HeadlessStandalonePlayer WindowsStandalonePlayer
Linux64StandalonePlayer iPhonePlayer
LinuxDevelopmentStandalonePlayer

You need the latest version of unity, 4.5.2 http://unity3d.com/unity/download

You need the latest version of unity, 4.5.2 http://unity3d.com/unity/download

OK, thanks. I found the next problem, the Windows instructions tell me to

Find "Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\windows64standalonepla yer\Data\Mono\mono.dll" and copy it to "KSP_Data\Mono"

but there is no KSP_Data folder on OS X and I can't find mono.dll.

I replaced KSP.app with UnityPlayer but it closes very quickly when I run it and nothing happens.

OK, thanks. I found the next problem, the Windows instructions tell me to

but there is no KSP_Data folder on OS X and I can't find mono.dll.

I replaced KSP.app with UnityPlayer but it closes very quickly when I run it and nothing happens.

You have to right click on the KSP.app and click 'show package contents' then in the contents folder, navigate to each individual folder (data, macOS, frameworks and resources) and replace the necessary items. Also, do this with a completely new install or back up your current one, it might ruin your KSP.app so at least back that up.

Edited by Robotengineer
Grammars.

I haven't even tried 64bit because it's basically the same thing as that community hack.

The "community hack" was only possible because squad had worked on 64bit behind the scenes. It is because of the work they had done that the "hack" worked at all.

Squad just did not believe it was yet ready to be released or even announced due to the stability issues. The community hack proved that alot of people found it stable enough for a release, which is why they finally have released a 64bit client. I am sure if mac version reaches this level they will do the same with that.

I haven't even tried 64bit because it's basically the same thing as that community hack.

It's actually a bit better than the community hack, but still not even close to the stability of 32 bit mode in my very limited experience. I don't run into memory limit issues, so it really didn't offer any significant improvements.

You have to right click on the KSP.app and click 'show package contents' then in the contents folder, navigate to each individual folder (data, macOS, frameworks and resources) and replace the necessary items. Also, do this with a completely new install or back up your current one, it might ruin your KSP.app so at least back that up.

Thanks, I managed to start up KSP with no mods. But when I tried to load KSO and Astronomer's pack, it would not finish loading but freeze at about 80%. So this method does not work for now.

You could also argue that 64bit versions of windows are only just now being supported and poorly. It's not Squads fault that apple refuses to release a new os. To everyone else in the world the next thing after 10.9 is 11 not 10.1.

Good troll, OP. Anger directed towards entirely the wrong people (you should be railing against Unity, not Squad), not responding to legitimate questions, ignoring facts, cherry-picking arguments.. I laughed. Nice one :)

What's more amazing is he hasn't had to stir the conversation for the last 6 pages...

It's a hell of a band wagon.

As far as which versions get 64 bit first, Squad is dedicated to supporting all platforms, and when a stable 64 bit Mac version can be developed, I'm sure it'll be released. I'll hazard a guess and say that Linux got 64 bit first because your average Linux geek is probably more likely to deal with Unity or KSP being a bit glitchy and give useful bug reports and workarounds. In any case, there's not much point in continuing the thread.

Brakes activated.

emergencybrake.jpg

Edited by technicalfool