I really like the "rescue a kerbal" missions

MrChumley

Is there any way to go about influencing the instances of the 'rescue stranded kerbal' contracts?

I've found myself going through endlessly denying contracts in hopes that another pops up.

Is there a .cfg I can edit anywhere? Is there a mod for this sort of thing?

Thanks for any info you have, and I hope you are having as much fun rescuing kerbals as I am. :)

-Chumley

I would like them a lot more if the orbits had more variation to them. Inclinations of 0-45 degrees, AP and PE anywhere from LKO to beyond Minmus etc. As they are, I think they're solid, but not exceptional. I still accept everyone that's offered though. My space program always needs more recruits.

+1 to Uncle Mort and also to Yarrula! These are both ideas that I have been thinking about, as I too find the "Rescue" missions to be some of the more exciting ones; not to mention, they've lead to pretty interesting ship designs on my part :D!

Variations in inclinations, elliptical orbits, and rescue kerbal from a celestial body missions would be GREAT improvements to this already awesome system!

I completed the first two that I was given, but was quite disappointed that they were both just in low, circular, prograde orbits around Kerbin. I had hoped that there would be more variation, but I guess that will happen eventually.

I want a "rescue Kerbal from a rapidly decaying orbit". Add some urgency to the situation.

Lol, I am sure I am a newbie, but dear god, I can barely rescue a kerbal in a normal orbit...this is one I would almost certainly skip.

I love these contracts too! I accept every one and I would also love to see the more eccentric, inclined, and different-SOI rescues suggested here too! Perhaps we should ensure this has been brought up in the suggestions forum?

Edit: there is a related thread there: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/88711-Not-enough-scenario-contracts

Edited by Mesons

I agree with the sense of urgency. They give you like two days to accept the contract (which isn't so bad) and then like four years to actually get the guy home. So apparently Kerbals can just chill on EVA for years without any real risk of starvation, suffocation, etc. C'mon now.

Currently I have a Kerbal I picked up as part of a rescue mission about two Kerbal weeks ago, and he was added directly to my space station crew, which is preventing the contract from "being completed" and allowing new rescue missions to spawn. As long as I get him home sometime in the near future, I won't fail the contract and I won't have to worry about rescuing anyone if I don't want to. Too easy. I recommend in the next patch the contract duration be shortened to something like one day or even a few hours - maybe even less than one hour for the occasional "difficult" rescue mission.

I think the orbits are fine though. It reflects the places they're probably getting stranded the most, i.e. LKO stations those other space agencies have been trying (and apparently failing) to operate.

I agree with the sense of urgency. They give you like two days to accept the contract (which isn't so bad) and then like four years to actually get the guy home. So apparently Kerbals can just chill on EVA for years without any real risk of starvation, suffocation, etc. C'mon now.

Well, that's the way stock Kerbals are. You can plant one on Minmus' Slopes to enjoy some completely unshielded rays for the next hundred years, it won't bother them.

That being said, I do agree with your idea for urgent missions. That would add some spice -- especially if the higher urgency ones had bigger rewards...or more appropriately, the lower urgency ones had lower rewards...

• 2 weeks later...

SQUAD probably were not sure what difficulty curve they should use for kerbal rescue missions. I mean the send data missions seem to expand as you complete the main "explore" line of quests and if im remembering correctly the "test part" contracts don't leave Kerbins SOI but start on kerbin and expand outwards to the mun... (I think at least as far as my game is concerned)

so they would likely be deciding at what at would a variable orbit be reasonable contract or around the mun or other planet. how much more prestige should be offered for surface rescues the prestige of the contracts would have to be sorted out and balanced.

My own rescue contracts seem to be all 2 stars but offer very little in the way of loot because its the same type of contract as the beginning of the game so id say that is a balance they will have to work out before expanding rescue missions

I like rescuing kerbals, and leaving jeb in their place as punishment for being an idiot and sneaking back into the only seat.

I use a two seat spaceplane, also use it to send astronauts up to ship build in orbit. Thinking of simply building a stack of pods and use one for each stranded kerbal.

SQUAD probably were not sure what difficulty curve they should use for kerbal rescue missions.

That's the beauty of the contract system, though. Because none of them are compulsory, they can offer everything from kindergarten-easy to nearly-impossible. If it's too hard, just don't accept the contract. Likewise if it's one you find boring.

The more variety the better; let everyone pick their own level of difficulty. Basic and educational missions for the newbies (the Kerbal rescues are an excellent introduction to orbital rendezvous, without all the complication of docking), extreme challenges for the experts.

Give us "rescue this ship before it falls into Jool, and BTW you won't get there in time if you wait for a decent transfer window". They've done a good job on the simple contracts, but there's not much to test folks who've already been to all the planets.

I get the "rescue ______ from orbit" missions so often that I have a dedicated ship design for it. Can't really complain, I've gotten like 600k funds from doing it so much.

Likewise. :)

Most of the kerbonauts in my program have been recruited from orbit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.