Would you ride your own rocket?

michaelphoenix22

As a newbie that just tried the free version? NO, with the experience I have now I would fly one of my own design for sure. I would be more worried about flying in one of Elon Musk's but I would do it. However I regularly do things where I have to have confidence in my ability (skiing, boarding, scrambling in the mountains with serious exposure).

I would gladly fly my own rockets, and even pay for the opportunity to do so. The success rate of all my rockets is very near 100%, with assorted safety features and escape systems if anything goes wrong. There is also an "restricted inclination" and a "restricted altitude", which my spacecraft cannot pass or face legal reprecussions. This ensures that if any manned vessel breaks down, it is within range of a spacestation or one of its RCS tugs to reach and bring them back to the station to await a shuttle to bring them home. Even on beyond LKO-missions, the craft are loaded with extra fuel and supplies in case of emergencies, and there is a spacestation around the Mun and a small surface outpost to host anyone whos stranded. Travel for non-Expedition missions is pretty limited to within range of a base or station, and it is sort of restricting and highly inefficent (I still haven't been to all the Mun or Minimus biomes yet), but to this day, not a single Kerbal has been lost in space under my watch.

And I'm proud of that :)

Edited by NASAFanboy

Seeing as I'm a human, not a Kerbal, I'd have quite a task of riding in one of their rockets. They're not even 1 meter tall, you realize! But if I were a Kerbal, I wouldn't have any hesitation about riding one of my rockets. They're all pretty darn stable, and have reasonable margin-of-error fuel levels. Might be a bit leery of some of my larger spaceplanes, though. Even when they do have rock-solid CoM/CoL from start to finish, they also tend to have too little lift for their mass and are thus very hard to land safely.

Edited by SkyRender

I would likely do so, though I'd definitely want to test it extensively before launching. Additionally, I'm not as worried about the rocket exploding on ascent (my ships are usually fairly safe), but g-forces. I tend to follow the 'moar power is moar better' mantra for upper stages, so I wind up with a high thrust engine, exacting the kerbals inside to fairly high forces. I'd definitely switch out for a lower-thrust engine if I was to ride one of my designs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.