Increase font size?

The .24 version seems to have modified the font/font sizes. Especially the descriptions from subassemblies are not readable anymore. Is there a way to increase/change the UI font size? I have checked the settings, but found nothing.

Edited by SirJodelstein

• 1 month later...

I'd like to revive this thread, because the issue is still present. Subassembly descriptions are all but unreadable for me. I'm playing with a resolution around 1900x1080, by the way. (Not exactly those numbers, probably.)

Maybe this should belong in Stock Issues? I do remember it being in both my stock and modded KSP installs. Thanks. :)

Would you folks mind posting screenshots? It's possible you could improve the font rendering by messing with AA settings, but it's impossible to really guess at without having something clear (or rather, not so clear) to look at.

I think the font used there is just waay to tiny.

DNP4I0N.png

Game-Resolution 1280x720, AA 2x, on a 15.4" 1600x900px widescreen notebook. Doesnt get any better if i go to 1600x900px fullscreen.

Repro: Just save an arbitrary part/part collection as subassembly and fill the description field. Should be obvious on almost any Screensize/Pixel resolution combination out there.

Would you folks mind posting screenshots? It's possible you could improve the font rendering by messing with AA settings, but it's impossible to really guess at without having something clear (or rather, not so clear) to look at.

The "too small to comfortably read" text is pretty much everything except for the altitude meter. OTOH, there are already screen clutter problems, so just making everything twice as big isn't an ideal solution. OTOOH, half of the reason for the screen clutter is because I have to use mods to provide essential, basic flight data; integrating it all into a single UI would reduce clutter considerably.

For a screen resolution example, including both stock and mod text windows:

screenshot835_zpsefee8226.png

I think the font used there is just waay to tiny.

http://i.imgur.com/DNP4I0N.png

Game-Resolution 1280x720, AA 2x, on a 15.4" 1600x900px widescreen notebook. Doesnt get any better if i go to 1600x900px fullscreen.

Repro: Just save an arbitrary part/part collection as subassembly and fill the description field. Should be obvious on almost any Screensize/Pixel resolution combination out there.

Mine looks exactly like this. :)

Native Resolution I use: 1920x1080

I don't have a game-stopping problem with the fonts per se, but I'd really appreciate the ability to enlarge it. I'm pretty much used to reading in smaller fonts, but that's about the limit, and I can easily see how this could be a major obstacle for others (thinking about a few older friends and relatives I'd like to share the game with).

Cheers!

I don't have a game-stopping problem with the fonts per se, but I'd really appreciate the ability to enlarge it. I'm pretty much used to reading in smaller fonts, but that's about the limit, and I can easily see how this could be a major obstacle for others (thinking about a few older friends and relatives I'd like to share the game with).

Yah; I should probably mention that I'm 40 years old, nearsighted to the point that without my glasses anything more than an inch counts as "far away", and on meds that occasionally mess with my focussing ability.

But I'm sure that I'm not the only one. KSP draws a geeky fanbase, and it's not like the stereotype of geek-with-glasses doesn't have a foundation in reality.

+1. This was especially bad when I tried running in 2160p (which, by the way, was absolutely beautiful EXCEPT for the teeny tiny unreadable fonts).

Please give us font/UI scaling for everything if/when you can. :)

Yah; I should probably mention that I'm 40 years old, nearsighted to the point that without my glasses anything more than an inch counts as "far away", and on meds that occasionally mess with my focussing ability.

But I'm sure that I'm not the only one. KSP draws a geeky fanbase, and it's not like the stereotype of geek-with-glasses doesn't have a foundation in reality.

I'm not quite as myopic as you it seems, nor am I playing at a high resolution, but it was a glorious day indeed when I discovered Enhanced Navball had added the ability to scale, and move, the navball.

• 2 months later...

Ok, there is a trick for this : If u have a 1920x1080 native resolution like I have, which is a ~1.78 ratio, use a lower resolution with same ratio (for example 1280x720).

It's not perfect, but it can make all text readables for a few game before switching back to full res.

• 2 months later...

+1 - This is definitely an issue. I'm running at 1600x1200 on a big screen made for photo editing. I have to lean forward and squint a bit to read subassembly descriptions. And the time-until and time-remaining readouts on the navball? Forget it. I've given up trying to read them from the navball, and get them from mod readouts instead.

• 9 months later...

Unfortunately not yet, though this may be a part of the UI overhaul for KSP 1.1 as it looks like Unity5 supports dynamic font rendering.

Unity4 (which KSP currently uses) doesn't appear to support dynamic fonts, and a 3rd party program called NGUI is required for this.

So in KSP currently, all fonts are imported at set sizes and the GUI is made to display text at those sizes, to allow for larger fonts the fonts would have to be imported at those larger sizes and the GUI's changed to accommodate them.

• 4 months later...

I saw this and was disappointed. Sorry my source was not reliable. Hopefully they'll fix it. Sucks that we have to play in 720p just to be able to read the text on the screen with our computers hooked up to a 55 inch tv display. 

• 1 month later...

I just bought a laptop with a 17.3" 4k display. You want to see small fonts? the words on EVERYTHING are literally 1.5mm (about 1/16") tall. It also applies this insanely small font to ALL Mod UI's, and sets the non stock UI windows to scale based on those. I'm trying to get used to squinting at the screen from 3" away, but until I can get home to Fort McMurray I might just have to suffer :( Still no official reply either.

Edited by HoY