Community Resource Pack [WIP]

RoverDude

PLEASE SEE RELEASE THREAD HERE

I make a lot of mods. I also use ORS in the mods I work on, including Karbonite. Since all of these mods are pretty open to extension (and since I know folks are already extending them!), we are starting to see a lot of mods use ORS. This rocks. ORS was one of those gems of our community that deserved more time in the spotlight than it received, and I'm happy to be helping to change that. But with popularity comes conflicts and random mod-stomping, so I figured it was time for some cat herding.

I am doing this not as some creepy 'control' thing - rather, it's because ORS gets REALLY SAD... I mean, we're talking mind numbingly sad, if you give two resources the same key in the ORS definitions.

An excellent example is Water. In the original version of KSPI, the resource name is LqdWater, but the ORS Key is Water. So when I made MKS, I could not have a resource named Water and a key of Water (like I do with the other resources) because Water already existed as an ORS resource key. The result was infinite sadness (and this is why in MKS, we call the ORS resours Aquifer). Fast forward to more recent events. If a modder decides they want to extend Karbonite but use Ore for EL or MKS and they use the MKS Ore maps and resource definitions, these will collide, and our users will be lagged into oblivion. This, unfortunately, is REALLY easy to mess up.

Add to this, folks sharing cool stuff back and forth. Like, say, Oxygen. One mixup in a config and you're suddenly changing the mass of ships, and in extreme cases may in fact cause things to be unleashed and children eaten. And nobody wants that.

Thus, I submit to you both a proposal and a humble request. If we cannot all agree on what the proper density of plutonium is on Jool, can we at least agree not to break eachother's stuff. To facilitate this, I submit to you the Community Resource Pack.

This is simply a stand alone kit for Modders to use (or not use, it's your call, but read on first) to avoid sadness. Both for ourselves and our users. It has two parts, and two very simple goals.

Goal 1: Eliminate lag and crashes caused by duplicate ORS keys.

To make this happen, CRP will include a consolidated list of distinct ORS keys and maps, and annotation of which mod is the curator or system of record for that resource. Or, simply put, if KSPI defines 'Uranium', and you decide to also make maps and a resource called 'Uranium' you will cause untold sadness and extreme lag to anyone who uses KSPI and your mod. Same with Karbonite, Ore, Substrate, etc. So our first goal is to have CRP be a clearing house for these. Since all current maps are under permissive licenses, if you want to use uranium, just include the KSPI ones. Want Ore? Grab them from MKS. Want your own thing called 'FluffyUnicornDroppings'? Rock on and make your own. Reuse what you can, do no harm.

Let's be clear. If all this project does is achieve this first goal, I'll be thrilled. It means less issues for our users, better ORS adoption, and a growing library of ORS maps to use for fun and profit. This is 100% good, and 100% beneficial to modders. Because the alternative, and I kid you not, is to lag their systems down to 1fps if people can't play nice.

Goal 2: Avoid surprising our users by stomping over resources.

Some resources are defined by having ORS. Others are ones that a lot of us use. As someone who tries to play nice, I make it a point to see if any resource I make conflicts with someone else (hence why MKS and EL have the same resource definitions for Metal and Ore).

We're going to take this general niceness a step further, and distribute a config file with all of the aforementioned ORS resources, along with a bunch of other ones that modders have agreed to consolidate on. Including ones from Karbonite and MKS/OKS (of course), TAC-LS, Universal Storage, KSP-I (Experimentals), Near Future Technologies, and others. And a few others will tag along where we've decided not to break their stuff, even though they are not (yet) active participants in CRP (kinda like santa claus handing out gifts). Examples includ EL (for metal and ore), and Biomass (for.. well.. biomass).

If this goal is achieved, even for the few dozen resources we already have listed, I'll be double thrilled, as will users, since being nice is a lot more beneficial than randomly stomping on things.

So if you're sold, head on down to the bottom of this post for links and goodness. If you are not sold, read on.

"I am sad! you're trying to control my stuff!"

Not really. I just don't want to break your stuff, and I hope you don't want to break mine. All of this is totally optional, if you don't wish to participate, then peace out and rock on.

"There's no way this will ever work, people can't agree!"

I dunno, I have enough already agreeing that I am pretty darn happy. If this achieves the primary goal of not having ORS crash, then I think we've landed in an excellent place. Anything else is gravy and just being neighborly.

"But I don't want you mixing space cows in my ultra-realistic electrolysis sim!"

Then don't use space cows. But maybe someone wants to have a nuclear-powered space cow RTG or something. In which case, you probably don't want them breaking your electrolysis sim.

"But... you can't mix space cows and Plutonium-239!"

Sure you can. Maybe you don't want to in your mod, or in the mods you select for your own ave game, but people are going to do all kinds of crazy stuff. And I expect you'd prefer it if your Plutonium-239 to not suddenly triple in mass mid-flight because SuPaKerBaL9000 modified the AAA_SpaceCows mod you downloaded for your kid's save to triple the mass of Plutonium-239.

"What about disparities in resource density and atmospheric pressure, or gas compression?!"

Here's reality. Most of us just want to play a game. Hence, CRP has no opinion on units, compression, cost, densities, etc. - that's up to the mod creators. And if something is good enough to be adopted by a couple of mods, then it's good enough to join the club. In the end, this is curated. But the only considerations on the table are ensuring stuff plays well in our space lego game together, not in nitpicking physics or chemistry, and most certainly not in dictating how stuff should be measured.

"But what if I want my own resources?!"

Go for it. CRP does not dictate what resources your mod has or how you use them, just that you don't create ones that conflict with ones already there in CRP.

"But this is more work for me! I am sad!"

Actually less. Just include a dependency like you would FireSpitter or any other similar mod. Shop for resources. Done. But hey, if you'd rather have SuPaKerBal9000 wreck your mod, rock on.

"I'm still sad! I won't use this!"

Ok that's fine too - peace out ;)

"Ok I'm sold.. how do I use this thing in my mod?"

Just include the bits you want. At a minimum, include the resources config. But layer on that any ORS configs you desire (assuming you are using ORS, which is a separate download). Dont't change folder names or sadness happens.

And please don't modify any of the configs you download either, as that kinda defeats the entire purpose, and is downright mean ;) Lastly, don't supersede CRP resources with your own definitions for any of the included resources - that's almost as bad as modifying them. The whole point of the club is that we all play nice. If you want in the club, awesome! But please don't join th club just to trash the clubhouse :P

Links and other stuff:

The CRP working document

CRP Repo at GitHub

Edited by RoverDude

Good idea - I will use the list if I make a resource in future..

But it might be, that we are the only ones..

good luck..

Possibly :) Although I daresay once folks start extending Karbonite and see their mods explode they may be more inclined ;)

I care a lot less about common resources and a lot more about common ORS configs, because those are game breaking.

If a check for already existing ressources could be added to ORS, some problems could be avoided.

Native ORS support for the most used resources (like Ore and Water (would be awesome if KSPI could change to "standard" water) would prevent most (if not all) problems too.

My suggestion: integrate your MKS resources into ORS (if Fractal_UK agrees ofc.). Those are the most versatile resources and can be used by any mod (Water and Substrate for LS, Ore and Minerals for ExPL and so on). Most other resources that are added are so mod-specific (eg. KSPI nuclear fuels) that there are barely any interactions with other addons.

If a check for already existing ressources could be added to ORS, some problems could be avoided.

Native ORS support for the most used resources (like Ore and Water (would be awesome if KSPI could change to "standard" water) would prevent most (if not all) problems too.

My suggestion: integrate your MKS resources into ORS (if Fractal_UK agrees ofc.). Those are the most versatile resources and can be used by any mod (Water and Substrate for LS, Ore and Minerals for ExPL and so on). Most other resources that are added are so mod-specific (eg. KSPI nuclear fuels) that there are barely any interactions with other addons.

It's that suggestion bit that's the rub. But there's a larger problem... if two people make the same resource, which map do I use?

The first list is more a case that if people decide to use it and make their own definitions, it will absolutely blow up as a duplicate key. Hence why I care more about ORS definitions than resources. So assuming KSPI manages it's resource and maps, CRP manages the MKS/Karbonite/Whatever ones, we're safe.

Near Future Technologies resources for your reference, if you need it.

ArgonGas

Cost = 0.25

Density = 0.00005

Flow Type = Stage Priority Flow

LiquidHydrogen

Cost = 0.75

Density = 0.0004

Flow Type = Stack Priority Search

Polytetrafluoroethylene

Cost = 1.0

Density = 0.000072

Flow Type = No Flow

EnrichedUranium

Cost = 50

Density = 0.005

Flow Type = No Flow

DepletedUranium

Cost = 0.0

Density = 0.005

Flow Type = No Flow

StoredCharge

Cost = 0.0

Density = 0.0

Flow Type = No Flow

ArgonGas

Cost = 0.25

Density = 0.00005

LiquidHydrogen

Cost = 0.75

Density = 0.0004

Polytetrafluoroethylene

Cost = 1.0

Density = 0.000072

Flow Type = No Flow

EnrichedUranium

Cost = 50

Density = 0.005

Flow Type = No Flow

DepletedUranium

Cost = 0.0

Density = 0.005

Flow Type = No Flow

StoredCharge

Cost = 0.0

Density = 0.0

Flow Type = No Flow

Thanks! Will add this to the list

I'm not a modder but this idea brings me much joy and happiness ^_^

I get so frustrated when I have multiple mods that essentially use the same resource but it's not actually the same resource in game, Argon and ArgonGas, LiquidHydrogen and Hydrogen, I moddified all the parts in the Near Future packs so that they use ORS resources just because I found it annoying.

The only gripe I have with ORS is that it assumes LiquidFuel is liquid hydrogen which I think is a little silly, powering jets with liquid hydrogen lol, and it means that the liquid hydrogen powered electric drives in near future now run on LiquidFuel but whatever.

ArgonGas

Cost = 0.25

Density = 0.00005

LiquidHydrogen

Cost = 0.75

Density = 0.0004

Polytetrafluoroethylene

Cost = 1.0

Density = 0.000072

Flow Type = No Flow

EnrichedUranium

Cost = 50

Density = 0.005

Flow Type = No Flow

DepletedUranium

Cost = 0.0

Density = 0.005

Flow Type = No Flow

StoredCharge

Cost = 0.0

Density = 0.0

Flow Type = No Flow

But these aren't ORS resources

We'll need a requirement that resource maps be contained in the GameData/OpenResourceSystem/PlanetResourceData directory. Otherwise, we're going to have duplicate maps and we won't know where to point our configs. I'm thinking specifically of trying to convert EPL to use ORS. We'd like to use the MKS maps for Ore, but want to make them available for users who don't have MKS installed. A current workaround would be to include the maps in the conversion pack and include MM ORS resource configs that only write themselves if MKS isn't installed (":NEEDS[!KolonyTools]"). It would be better, though if the maps were all just centrally available.

EDIT: Just saw the curation field on the doc. I suppose we'll just need to be aware of where that mod stores their maps.

I'd love for this to work out. The Decentralization of resource is really a pain when you're trying to get mods to play together.

Is it worth added a 1 unit = column to your sheet? I'm assuming a lot of resources use 1 unit = 1 liter (except stock), but it'll be worth checking.

I'm not a modder but this idea brings me much joy and happiness ^_^

I get so frustrated when I have multiple mods that essentially use the same resource but it's not actually the same resource in game, Argon and ArgonGas, LiquidHydrogen and Hydrogen, I moddified all the parts in the Near Future packs so that they use ORS resources just because I found it annoying.

The only gripe I have with ORS is that it assumes LiquidFuel is liquid hydrogen which I think is a little silly, powering jets with liquid hydrogen lol, and it means that the liquid hydrogen powered electric drives in near future now run on LiquidFuel but whatever.

I concur. My investigations lead me to believe this is just stock ORS data. And right now, the only mods I am aware of that even use ORS are KSPI, MKS, and Karbonite. I hope to be able to talk to Fractal into changing some of that.

We'll need a requirement that resource maps be contained in the GameData/OpenResourceSystem/PlanetResourceData directory. Otherwise, we're going to have duplicate maps and we won't know where to point our configs. I'm thinking specifically of trying to convert EPL to use ORS. We'd like to use the MKS maps for Ore, but want to make them available for users who don't have MKS installed. A current workaround would be to include the maps in the conversion pack and include MM ORS resource configs that only write themselves if MKS isn't installed (":NEEDS[!KolonyTools]"). It would be better, though if the maps were all just centrally available.

EDIT: Just saw the curation field on the doc. I suppose we'll just need to be aware of where that mod stores their maps.

Yep I don't want to hamper mod folks by trying to be the one end-all-be-all for maps - they can manage the ones they curate, and they would be the canonical sourd. And to go one step further, I'll be deprecating Aquifer in MKS and moving to a LqdWater->Water converter just to get one less confusing thing in there.

I'd love for this to work out. The Decentralization of resource is really a pain when you're trying to get mods to play together.

Is it worth added a 1 unit = column to your sheet? I'm assuming a lot of resources use 1 unit = 1 liter (except stock), but it'll be worth checking.

Probably so. This is first and foremost about preventing crashes by ORS (which I'm sure we can all agree is a pretty important thing). For folks to also play nice and reuse resources is even better, but that's a whole different level of cat herding.

Here are the resources for US, for the most part they match new TAC LS and use 1 unit = 1 liter.

// Universal Storage Module Manage Config File 0.7
// Core Pack

// *******************************************************
// This adds the three resources required by Universal Storage
// It also renames duplicate resources from other mods to prevent duplicates
// Resource Definition

// Creates the Oxygen resource
// Mol: O2
// State: Gas at STP
// Units: Liter
RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = Oxygen
density = 0.000001429
unitCost = 0.015
flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
transfer = PUMP
isTweakable = true
}
// Creates the Hydrogen resource
// Mol: H2
// State: Gas at STP
RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = Hydrogen
density = 0.0000000899
unitCost = 0.015
flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
transfer = PUMP
isTweakable = true
}
// Creates the Water resource
// Mol: H2O
// State: Liquid at STP
RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = Water
density = 0.001
unitCost = 0.001
flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
transfer = PUMP
isTweakable = true
}

Edited by Paul Kingtiger

Here are the resources for US, for the most part they match new TAC LS and use 1 unit = 1 liter.

The two differences I see are the cost of water (not a big deal), and the density of oxygen (a big deal)

Why is US oxygen ten times as dense?

EnrichedUranium

Cost = 50

Density = 0.005

Flow Type = No Flow

DepletedUranium

Cost = 0.0

Density = 0.005

Flow Type = No Flow

Those densities bugged me a lot :huh:, Uranium is one of the heaviest metal so having density of 5 kg/m3 (density unit is not 100 sure, I saw something on the wiki, it is supposed to be kg/m3 but in fact it is KSP mass unit/m3, so ton, and here 0.005 means 5 kgs) is more than weird, or someone get there before and stole the majority of it and put something else (nothing mostly) inside :P.

Those densities bugged me a lot :huh:, Uranium is one of the heaviest metal so having density of 5 kg/m3 (density unit is not 100 sure, I saw something on the wiki, it is supposed to be kg/m3 but in fact it is KSP mass unit/m3, so ton, and here 0.005 means 5 kgs) is more than weird, or someone get there before and stole the majority of it and put something else (nothing mostly) inside :P.

Not my place to argue how folks set these up, just prevent mods from crashing ;)

The usual standard is that one unit is about one liter, not one cubic meter.

5kg/L isn't exactly right (should be about 17) but it's in the ballpark.

I was trawling through forum when i had the time and it took me a while to find this topic. I too was concerned with resources, even more so than off-world construction and self-sustaining colonies.

I apologize in advance if i missed the following in this topic : resource combining. I know about Squads long term plans for resources in KSP. Under "combining" i mean chemical and atomic reactions.

I consider the following is to make CRP a complete package.

For example : Hydrogen and Oxygen produce Water and Heat (note the capitalization for defining types, we're talking about resources).

If you have Water, you can use Heat (lots of it, inneficient and unsafe method) or Electricity to split it back into constituent resources.

The above also calls for defining their reaction ratios and energy content (required energy for endothermic, expelled energy for exothermic reactions).

The Heat resource also presents an interesting question : what about recycling waste products ? It is as much part of energy efficiency as is of self-sustenance. When you for example have an atomic reactor (RTG's big brother) it can expell a lot of Heat. That Heat can either be expelled into environment via radiators (like ones in KSP-I) or it can further (partially) be used for growing biomass or for heating of living quarters.

So finding what by-products or waste material can further be used to boost your colony's energy reserves or production is for players to discover.

Example : player could "hack" a reactor to overproduce, causing dangerous thermal spikes, then feed this Heat to a smelter so it can produce either higher purity ore or some new types of ore. Player gets results faster but its tricky and dangerous.

Another suggestion is resource purification. Example : your very own heavy-water production facility. Player just feeds this heavy-water to electrolysis process and gets Oxygen and Deuterium (and even Tritium, with scaled down production rate). This could also mean a new type : combined resource. CRP could define a resource map (for solid bodies, atmospheres, oceans and, who knows, someday even an interplanetary nebular clouds) that can either define a basic resource (as it would now), or a combined resource like a water in ocean, with traces of heavy-water on various spots. A combined resource is then broken down into basic resources or combined with other resources into something else.

All of the above is, as far as i understand it, mostly implemented in part packs that use resources, not the resource-defining plugins like ORS or CRP. A smelter part may use eletricity or heat and ore to produce metal but this should be defined in CRP itself, the smelter part (in some plugin or part pack that uses CRP) is, in it's simplest form, just a direct placeholder for this type of resource production.

And for finishing touch : engines. What resources they use to function ? How efficient they are ? What ratios are used ? They are very much like chemical reactors with exhaust :)

I tried to keep it short as possible.

I was trawling through forum when i had the time and it took me a while to find this topic. I too was concerned with resources, even more so than off-world construction and self-sustaining colonies.

I apologize in advance if i missed the following in this topic : resource combining. I know about Squads long term plans for resources in KSP. Under "combining" i mean chemical and atomic reactions.

I consider the following is to make CRP a complete package.

For example : Hydrogen and Oxygen produce Water and Heat (note the capitalization for defining types, we're talking about resources).

If you have Water, you can use Heat (lots of it, inneficient and unsafe method) or Electricity to split it back into constituent resources.

The above also calls for defining their reaction ratios and energy content (required energy for endothermic, expelled energy for exothermic reactions).

The Heat resource also presents an interesting question : what about recycling waste products ? It is as much part of energy efficiency as is of self-sustenance. When you for example have an atomic reactor (RTG's big brother) it can expell a lot of Heat. That Heat can either be expelled into environment via radiators (like ones in KSP-I) or it can further (partially) be used for growing biomass or for heating of living quarters.

So finding what by-products or waste material can further be used to boost your colony's energy reserves or production is for players to discover.

Example : player could "hack" a reactor to overproduce, causing dangerous thermal spikes, then feed this Heat to a smelter so it can produce either higher purity ore or some new types of ore. Player gets results faster but its tricky and dangerous.

Another suggestion is resource purification. Example : your very own heavy-water production facility. Player just feeds this heavy-water to electrolysis process and gets Oxygen and Deuterium (and even Tritium, with scaled down production rate). This could also mean a new type : combined resource. CRP could define a resource map (for solid bodies, atmospheres, oceans and, who knows, someday even an interplanetary nebular clouds) that can either define a basic resource (as it would now), or a combined resource like a water in ocean, with traces of heavy-water on various spots. A combined resource is then broken down into basic resources or combined with other resources into something else.

All of the above is, as far as i understand it, mostly implemented in part packs that use resources, not the resource-defining plugins like ORS or CRP. A smelter part may use eletricity or heat and ore to produce metal but this should be defined in CRP itself, the smelter part (in some plugin or part pack that uses CRP) is, in it's simplest form, just a direct placeholder for this type of resource production.

And for finishing touch : engines. What resources they use to function ? How efficient they are ? What ratios are used ? They are very much like chemical reactors with exhaust :)

I tried to keep it short as possible.

Good stuff but totally out of scope :)

CRP has two very simple goals, and I consider one of those optional.

First. keep multiple mods that use ORS from crashing or causing stuff to lag into oblivion. This is the case when there are duplicate ORS keys. That is the primary purpose of this, and if that's all it accomplishes, I would consider that a good day's work.

Second. Since folks are extending Karbonite, MKS, etc. provide a list of the resources everyone is using, and identify conflicts. Then ask people nicely to play nice with eachoter. If this goal is achieved, I'll be downright pleased, but it is a secondary and optional goal of this.

And that's where things pretty much stop. Anything beyond that is up to the mod. If somone wants to convert Hydrogen into Fluffy Unicorns, and combine Fluffy Unicorns with XenonGas to make LiquidFuel, rock on. But let's first make sure that three different people don't define a FluffyUnicorn ORS planetaru resource, and let's also at least try to agree on the density and cost of Hydrogen.

Oh i am totally onboard with this, no objections there. What i am trying to say that once basic resource structure is established, there will be a problem with wildly differing resource utilization among part packs. It can be a matter of agreement, but also having it "officially stored" inside a CRP plugin data is a plus.

Aaand you pretty much killed me with FluffyUnicorns :D

What's your take on the realism aspect? Is this intended purely for a stock implementation and are you (the "royal" you) at all worried about someone completely blowing out your values for an RSS implementation?

Hopefully some standards for CRP's secondary goal can be agreed upon, but unfortunately I see this potentially leading to a schism between realistic(who would want real world values for resources) and simplistic players(who would want the values to line up with stocks more abstract resources) perhaps instead of trying to go for one version of every resource for everyone to play along with we should should aim for two for each resource? (for example a realHydrogen, and a simpleHydrogen as ORS keys instead of trying to get realistic or simplistic players to bend to each others wills?)

Oh i am totally onboard with this, no objections there. What i am trying to say that once basic resource structure is established, there will be a problem with wildly differing resource utilization among part packs. It can be a matter of agreement, but also having it "officially stored" inside a CRP plugin data is a plus.

Aaand you pretty much killed me with FluffyUnicorns :D

I'd say how foks use stuff is up to them - not a concern of the mod, and I pretty much refuse to step into that briar patch ;)

What's your take on the realism aspect? Is this intended purely for a stock implementation and are you (the "royal" you) at all worried about someone completely blowing out your values for an RSS implementation?

It's surprisingly simple. Any non-stock resource had an origin or canonical source. It's up to that canonical source to determine their rates, etc. (i.e. TAC-LS is the canonical source right now for Food). So if someone decides they want to change the value for food... they do so at their own risk, since there's a pecking order to how resources are loaded. I consider point #2 'suggestions'. So if you are making a brand new mod, please don't make another value for the weight of Metal - Extraplanetary Launchpads already has that one covered. IF someone blows the values out of the water and enough people complain, I expect someone will end up changing their stuff.

Hopefully some standards for CRP's secondary goal can be agreed upon, but unfortunately I see this potentially leading to a schism between realistic(who would want real world values for resources) and simplistic players(who would want the values to line up with stocks more abstract resources) perhaps instead of trying to go for one version of every resource for everyone to play along with we should should aim for two for each resource? (for example a realHydrogen, and a simpleHydrogen as ORS keys instead of trying to get realistic or simplistic players to bend to each others wills?)

See point above. If someone for example wants to change some of the values that Nertea set up for NFT, nothing can stop them. But it would be kinda rude, and you have what we have today, which is multiple people making the same resource independently, and causing conflicts. Not going to stop that. Rather, I'm asking folks nicely that you should kinda try to stick to the same thing, and go with the guy or gal that did it first. If folks choose to disregard that, then they can deal with the support questions (at best), or folks just uninstalling or hacking at their mod (at worst) because they are causing a conflict. In either case, it's just the goal of CRP to be a clearing house of information, not to handle enforcement.

@passinglurker: Agreed for splitting. And it is definitely better than tug of war. That leaves realism vs stock to part pack makers to decide which route to go, not mutually exclusive. Maybe if CRP has provided support for these two main resource arrays, player itself can choose between the two while in editor.

@RoverDude : About duplicate keys - can CRP identify which part/plugin requested resource registration ?

If so, try to add another key containing a source name to create a GUID-like key. Then identify duplications and deal with them. At risk of looking dumb and obvious, i had to post this.

Edited by fatcargo

@passinglurker: Agreed for splitting. And it is definitely better than tug of war. That leaves realism vs stock to part pack makers to decide which route to go, not mutually exclusive. Maybe if CRP has provided support for these two main resource arrays, player itself can choose between the two while in editor.

Zero intention of doing that by the way. Again, way beyond scope.

Let's be clear - the goal here is not to DEFINE resources. The goal is simply to say 'hey, before you add tha thing to your mod, you might want to know that someoene over here already did that, and you guys are gong to collide - so you may want to talk about that'.

This is no different than what I did when I made MKS/OKS - I went through great pains to make sure my stuff did not collide (it's why I switched from MetalOre and MineralOre to Minerals and Ore - to maintain compatibilith with EL).

Now, I can't force people to play nice (and have no intention of doing so). But it's amazing what public pressure can do, especially if your mod is the odd man out.