40k Thread!

Ninjainthenight

Let's see, my list... this is gonna be a long one...

Space Marines: 3 Captains, 5 Honor guard, 1 Chaplain, Master Of Forge, Librarian, Calgar and his 4 Hg.

56 Tactical, 10 Scouts (2 squads).

1 Rhino, 2 Razorbacks, 3 Drop pods.

15 Terminators in 3 Squads, 5 Assault Terminators, 1 Venerable Dread, 3 Dreads, 15 Assault Marines, 1 Land Speeder, 1 LS Storm, 2 Land Raiders (Crusader and Redeemer), 1 Predator, 2 Whirlwinds, 3 Vindicators, and custom Tank Master.

Black Templars:

Helbrecht and Emperors Champion.

Tyranids:

No idea- in a box somewhere. But it is basically the entire battleforce. So not a lot.

Orks:

1 Boss, 1 Big Mek.

20 Boyz.

5 Nobz.

3 Deffkoptaz

1 Grot Tank (scratch built)

2 Gargants. That's right, Gargants. Scratch built out of recylables and bits and they look amazing. I am rather proud of them. Even developed a balanced rule sheet, though I only got a chance to test them out on Necrons, and without proper Orky infantry support... so they may be overpriced, or underpriced, you all know how annoying scarabs are. :mad:

• 2 weeks later...

I love the 40k universe. First encounter with it was Ragnar series books actualy space wolf in 2002, since then I have read every 40k book that ever been translated to my language. Then the first dawn of war was released on PC, and i was all like: "Holy **** they made PC game about my favorite scifi book series" and offcourse bought the game right away. I actualy didnt know about board game until someone told me they exist in 2010. And as soon as i learned about them, i of course wanted it, but when i saw the prices for basic starter set, i was like NO WAY!! so only books and PC games for me.

I love the 40k universe. First encounter with it was Ragnar series books actualy space wolf in 2002, since then I have read every 40k book that ever been translated to my language. Then the first dawn of war was released on PC, and i was all like: "Holy **** they made PC game about my favorite scifi book series" and offcourse bought the game right away. I actualy didnt know about board game until someone told me they exist in 2010. And as soon as i learned about them, i of course wanted it, but when i saw the prices for basic starter set, i was like NO WAY!! so only books and PC games for me.

I'll tell you a secret. Buying 40k retail is really tough on the pocketbook (thats not a secret) but there are other ways to catch huge deals on minis. Ebay will work if you keep an eye out, but my habit was made easier when I discovered Bartertown (.net I think). Its a trading site where people basically trade the minis they don't want for the minis they do want. If you trade enough you can build whole armies for 30-50% the cost of retail.

Over the last 14 years I've collected Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Blood Bowl, and Grey Knights.

I used to play WH40k about 15 years ago. I still have my Ork army, but unfortunately it's built after rules which are long obsolete.

But I wonder if I should create a new army now that 3d printers are becomming affordable :D

3d printing could really kill the tabletop game, at least for Games Workshop. Why buy the miniatures from GW when you can just download the models and print your own army? Sure, offering models for original GW designs for download would be a copyright violation, but 1. enforcing this will be just as hard as enforcing distribution of movies and 2. they can't forbid people to make 3d models which have a similar look but are sufficiently different to not violate copyrights.

But while Games Workshop might decide to discontinue their tabletop games when 3d printing becomes common, it could lead to a community of open tabletop wargamers who play with their own games and with their own 3d-printed miniatures, both licensed under share-alike licenses. That could become really exciting.

Edited by Crush

3d printing could really kill the tabletop game, at least for Games Workshop. Why buy the miniatures from GW when you can just download the models and print your own army? Sure, offering models for original GW designs for download would be a copyright violation, but 1. enforcing this will be just as hard as enforcing distribution of movies and 2. they can't forbid people to make 3d models which have a similar look but are sufficiently different to not violate copyrights.

They already have a tournament rule that would discourage it, in that you have to use GW minis in tournaments.

That said, they could also take advantage of the technology and sell templates for 3D printing of models that come out and don't need to be painted.

And they'll always get revenue from the selling of rule books.

You've always been permitted to just buy rule books and play with checkers or paper markers or even lego men. The GW minis have just been a perk in that the originals were hand sculpted and they were required for tournaments.

You've always been permitted to just buy rule books and play with checkers or paper markers or even lego men.

But who would want that? For me, having miniatures which look the part was always an important part of the WH40k experience. The reason why GW has the "only use official miniatures" rule is clearly so they can push the bootlegs off the market, but I wouldn't have wanted to play against a lego army in a tournament either, as it would have really broken my immersion in the game. On the other hand, I wouldn't have anything against playing against an army which is in the style of the game, even when it came out of a 3d printer and not from Citadel. When the 3d printer and the models are good enough, you could even get your army through a superficial check by the judges.

An alternative to Citadel miniatures would have been those model kits from other companies. Some world war I / world war II soldier figurines and tank models from a company like Revell would make good proxies for a WH40k imperial army, but Games Workshop intentionally selected a scale which is between that of most lines of model kits so that you can't do that.

Edited by Crush

An alternative to Citadel miniatures would have been those model kits from other companies. Some world war I / world war II soldier figurines and tank models from a company like Revell would make good proxies for a WH40k imperial army, but Games Workshop intentionally selected a scale which is between that of most lines of model kits so that you can't do that.

Interestingly the model world has adapted and there are many more 25mm model ranges from an assortment of publishers. A lot of people have either outright used them or modded parts onto citadel models (which is kosher even by tourny rules as long as a certain percentage of the model is original citadel).

I don't disagree with you at all, I was just pointing out that NOTHING prevents you from 3D printing an army except the tourny rules. Mentioning lego, cardboard, or a heroclix army is all things I've seen in person at college and local tournaments as an example that people play with almost anything. I once fought a kid who used a teddy bear as a stand in for a tank, because he couldn't afford one yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.