[WIP BETA] Nasa IXS Warp-ship for Interstellar

Stevie_D

Cockpit Cabin Window Lights - Yey or Nay?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Cockpit Cabin Window Lights - Yey or Nay?

• Yes!(downside is it turns both cabin AND cargo lights on/off. Pitch black bay if you forget.
    • No!(downside is looks like not much activity inside, and comm mod harder to see in darkness

This is really looking amazing, and I strongly feel that the 'axehead' design of the disk, mixed with the greater ratio between the disk and the capsule sections is a whole lot better than your experimental mockup.

Now, you might consider making your own alternate model for the rings, in the IXS the rings are almost as long as this disc section, but ISM's rings don't have much more length than the struts holding them up. All I'm saying is that they're fairly insubstantial, and something with more meat would go well with this piece. There's a few ways to do it, I'd recommend making your own ring part; but you could also straight replace the model of the ISM part, which would replace it for existing ships too.

Thanks Grey, Bob, and ...well... on what you were talking about Grey, im already kinda one step ahead of you.

I was going to save this as a surprise for when id finished texturing the command module. But since you brought it up, well... the more i got into doing it, the more i looked at the other sections and thought "Hang on, those bits are -easier- to implement into KSP than the command mod is! No animations, easier repeat pattern textures, and no interiors or cockpits to create; AND they all have related parts in interstellar that i can basically copy the CFGs for!..."

So, as i often do, i let my enthusiasm get the better of me.

ixs_18_zps57bd796e.jpg

ixs_19_zps993385b8.jpg

As you can see, ive already thought up a nifty idea of how to make the main body customizable. Those slots are 2.5m parts, so you can fit your stock science modules in, or extra fuel or mono prop, you name it.

I also wrote up a list of possible front caps for science modules, but thats to worry about later.

Edited by Stevie_D

Oh WOW! that is beautiful. Very well done Stevie_D. That looks professional quality. I really can't wait for this to be ready. :D Just one question, is the collider shaped so that parts can be placed on the flat parts of the saucer (the rim of the saucer and the top and bottom areas, where the capsule is integrated into the saucer)?

I've already had one rough alpha test with colliders to get a bead on them, Spork, and so far i can report i found it extremely easy to place parts on the top and bottom of the saucer, the rim not so much.

But it was a first attempt, and i tried a 2nd time to better effect. Im getting used to the way KSP decides where it wants to angle things that arent connection nodes, so by release i should have the rim sorted too. I think it's being mean to me because i created an interior, and it doesnt want to understand where the "center" of the mesh is, with regards the rim itself.

This is coming together very nicely! Nice work on the texture on the pod.

Also, I like the front doors; definitely got a 2001 feel to it. And the other parts look really close to the original artwork.

I look forward to seeing more!

Stevie, you mentioned wanting to do circular flag decals, right? Those are pretty easy to do. Since the regular flag decals are just planes with a texture applied to them, all you should have to do to get the circular ones working the same is unwrap them the same as you would a square.

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys, it's really appreciated! :) It's not often i do a project that comes out as perfectly as i envisioned it in my head, so it's good to know the hard work is hopefully going to pay off :)

Stevie, you mentioned wanting to do circular flag decals, right? Those are pretty easy to do. Since the regular flag decals are just planes with a texture applied to them, all you should have to do to get the circular ones working the same is unwrap them the same as you would a square.

That's exactly what i was hoping Orbitus. I already prepared them that way in 3ds max, just hadn't tried them out yet in unity to see if that was the case. Thanks for letting me know it should be possible :)

Might have a new update tomorrow!

Will you be implimenting the Cannae Drive?

Very impressive stuff, true reactionless drives.

Corporal Vasquez

USCSM/KSCSM 8thBMTS Sulaco

On that, I would recommend using KSPI's existing plasma thruster in quantum vacuum mode. It's a little early to guess whether the appearance of the devices that the NASA folks tested is actually on the right track. If you've got a model or an idea for a model that fits the aesthetic of the other parts, put it in the pack using the KSPI modules.

Needed a break from texturing the command module (its filled with SO many nooks and crannies, and hard angles to texture for), so decided yesterday id spend a day texturing one of the easier repeat pattern parts.

Just goes to show how much easier the other parts are in comparison, its taken me 4 days and ive still not finished texturing the command module.... I started the warp ring yesterday,...and ive completed it already (well 99.5%).

ixs_20_zps8a437a6a.jpg

ixs_21_zpscf4628f1.jpg

ixs_22_zps54f000b9.jpg

So much so i shoved it in the game to see if it would whisk me around the place as an alcubierre drive. Apart from a minor adjustment to the stack nodes, its all but good to go!

ixs_23_zps10b86d59.jpg

The only realy niggle i have to work out is something i hope one of you more experienced folks can help me out with.

How do you do add illumination maps in KSP part tools?

Miffed to see ingame the pretty inner ring lights wouldnt illuminate, no matter what i tried with my illumination map.

I tried an emissive map but nada, searched the forums here and google for an answer or tutorial but couldn't find any.

On that, I would recommend using KSPI's existing plasma thruster in quantum vacuum mode. It's a little early to guess whether the appearance of the devices that the NASA folks tested is actually on the right track. If you've got a model or an idea for a model that fits the aesthetic of the other parts, put it in the pack using the KSPI modules.

Yep, i was going to use the Q-Thruster as Harold White said he had alotted to the IXS as a sublight drive. As Yankee says, it's also in Interstellar already, so with a minor tweak here and there, that will be the engine part of the IXS meshes.

Reading up on the Q-thrusters, its quite amazing how they work, and even more so when the nasa scientists thought they were building a white elephant on purpose to prove the theory doesnt work - then were gobsmacked when they turned them on and they actually produced thrust! hehe.

It's definitly one of the more attainable and realistic current propulsion methods that Interstellar showcases, so considering it's in the schematics of the official IXS plans, that means its a go for the mod too.

Edited by Stevie_D

It should be an emissive map. Use the shader KSP/Emissive/whateverkindyouwant, and assign the emissive map (RGB or RGBA) to the slot. By default it'll set the emissive color to black, set it to white to fully show your emissive texture.

-edit: Oh and very nice :).

Ahh i bet the colour was where i was going wrong, thanks Nertea!

EDIT - ...."Nertea said, Let there be light; he willed it, and at once there was light!" .............and Steve immediately realized that he'd need to resize the lights and tone down their brightness slightly, and he set to work!

ixs_24_zps7f60a1fd.jpg

Edited by Stevie_D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.