[WIP BETA] Nasa IXS Warp-ship for Interstellar

Stevie_D

Cockpit Cabin Window Lights - Yey or Nay?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Cockpit Cabin Window Lights - Yey or Nay?

• Yes!(downside is it turns both cabin AND cargo lights on/off. Pitch black bay if you forget.
    • No!(downside is looks like not much activity inside, and comm mod harder to see in darkness

quick question, can the warp still run when you're not controlling the ship? Also, this will go very nicely with the star systems mod!

That's more a KSP-Interstellar mod question than for this mod. But in KSP-I you cant leave the ship in warp i dont think, or if you do it spazzes the game out (never tried it myself).

Do check out the Hangar mod. You're headed that direction anyway.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/88933-0-24-2-Hangar-v1-1-1-1

Whoa...that drydock...

That's exactly what I miss in Extraplanetary Launchpads. Any chance you could make that compatible? :D

That's a neat mod (Hangars) i never noticed before. Ill take a look into adding capability for that and EPL (which i have in my KSP install too), once the drydock is completed. The drydock will be the last thing finished out of the remaining parts i have left to do, however, so dont expect a release of it in the next few days or anything.

That's more a KSP-Interstellar mod question than for this mod. But in KSP-I you cant leave the ship in warp i dont think, or if you do it spazzes the game out (never tried it myself).

That's a neat mod (Hangars) i never noticed before. Ill take a look into adding capability for that and EPL (which i have in my KSP install too), once the drydock is completed. The drydock will be the last thing finished out of the remaining parts i have left to do, however, so dont expect a release of it in the next few days or anything.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe there is handling for warp on rails.

With Nertea's advice, ive been busy splitting up the Command Module into 2 main meshes so i can get the desired cabin lights and cargo bay lights seperate (having the cargo bay lights permanently on). The good thing about that is it means i get to give the command module another texture pass and assigned a seperate map for the cargo bay and the rest of the module.

But the most work ive gotton done so far this week is nearly completing the rest of the texture assets.

ixs_27_zps309fc525.jpg

ixs_28_zpsb9db5727.jpg

(crew module attached to the Karbonite Detector)

There's 2-3 other main module containers ive not put in here, but im literally down to the last 2-3 textures and then that'll be ALL the assets for the IXS done - all that will be left will be finishing the CFG specifics, finishing the drydock, and then properly balancing the ship with Wave's new Interstellar version.

I think i can see the home straight! Woop!

ixs_29_zpsdf2c7eda.jpg

(Science Lab attached to a IXS Gravioli Detector)

I think ive definitly improved with my stockalike texturing ability the further ive gotton into this mod.

Edited by Stevie_D

I would very much like to have a non-interstellar version, even if it's only as a super-powered ion drive system instead of an outright warp system.

Non KSPI versions are on their way! Im going to list the versions im doing on the release page. So far they are...

- IXS Command Module (since it doesnt require interstellar)

- KSP-I IXS Class (entire kit n kaboodle for Interstellar)

- Stock KSP IXS Class (entire kit n kaboodle except neutered to Stock standards)

- Drydock (drydock on it's own, incase people just like the drydock or dont want interstellar)

Non KSPI versions are on their way! Im going to list the versions im doing on the release page. So far they are...

- IXS Command Module (since it doesnt require interstellar)

- KSP-I IXS Class (entire kit n kaboodle for Interstellar)

- Stock KSP IXS Class (entire kit n kaboodle except neutered to Stock standards)

- Drydock (drydock on it's own, incase people just like the drydock or dont want interstellar)

For the non KSP-I, I'd like to see it balanced by using (relatively) insane amounts of xenon as propellant for impressive thrust, with massive tanks in the central fuselage to fuel it, along with generator power. Not necessarily going to get it, but that's how I would like it.

For the non KSP-I, I'd like to see it balanced by using (relatively) insane amounts of xenon as propellant for impressive thrust, with massive tanks in the central fuselage to fuel it, along with generator power. Not necessarily going to get it, but that's how I would like it.

You could also make it required to have a resource mod ie karbonite or kethane. So while youre exploring the system you have to make stops to pick up fuel and be ready for where you go. Like a drone air collector for Jool, mining for Duna, or oceanic for laythe. That would be the challenge for the non kspi people.

Edited by sp1989

I too am eager for a non-Interstellar version of these parts, but... well, what would the big huge thick 'warp rings' be for then, if they no longer serve as an Alcubierre drive?

That's what I was suggesting act as Ion Drives (at least the back one). Ones that function more like an LV-N in ISP and extreme power consumption. The forward ring would serve as a massive xenon tank for it, and the fuselage would have a massive battery and power generator.

Those new modules are working great! Been playing extensively with this ship and I am having the hardest time breaking it.

I'm excited to see that this will be available in a non-KSPI variety, but to be honest, I find that it works with KSPI so well. I haven't bothered to install the new experimental version of KSPI, but the version I am running currently works wonderfully with this.

Can't wait to see the new modules in action!

You could also make it required to have a resource mod ie karbonite or kethane. So while youre exploring the system you have to make stops to pick up fuel and be ready for where you go. Like a drone air collector for Jool, mining for Duna, or oceanic for laythe. That would be the challenge for the non kspi people.

I think the reasoning for having a version that doesn't use KSPI is to have a version of the warp ship that doesn't depend on anything besides maybe Firespitter for animations. Shifting the dependencies from KSPI to Karbonite or Kethane is very similar to not removing the KSPI dependency at all.

I think the reasoning for having a version that doesn't use KSPI is to have a version of the warp ship that doesn't depend on anything besides maybe Firespitter for animations. Shifting the dependencies from KSPI to Karbonite or Kethane is very similar to not removing the KSPI dependency at all.

I thought it was for people who didn't want KSPI not fit keeping the dependencies down?

I thought it was for people who didn't want KSPI not fit keeping the dependencies down?

Yes, it is for people who don't want KSPI. It would therefore be safe to make the KSPI-free version not use resources from other mods (e.g. Karbonite/Kethane) so that you don't need KSPI, Karbonite, or Kethane to use the warp ship from the get-go, which is my understanding of the original intent behind asking for a KSPI-free version. That is, make the ship run on Xenon or something so that you can use it in Sandbox mode as soon as you start your save (that's what I'd want to do, anyway).

I've finished all modelling (including collison mesh editing from the beta), all texturing (all the beta parts now have higher rez textures with an improved look), ... of everything. Im literally finishing putting the final versions into unity now, then ill be spending the next couple of days balancing everything before a RELEASE (not a second beta) on tuesday probably. I got that much done this week! No more out of game stuff to do! \o/

So much so i took a break today to celebrate all the assets being completed by using them to make a video guide for the upcoming release thread, detailing all the parts (except the drydock) and explaining the module customization.

So 1.0 should be up soon! I cant wait to finally release the entire thing.

(note you can see the new IXS communotron dish, i whipped it up after i got sick of the ingame one sticking through the cargo bay no matter how low i placed it :) )

Edited by Stevie_D

I've finished all modelling (including collison mesh editing from the beta), all texturing (all the beta parts now have higher rez textures with an improved look), ... of everything. Im literally finishing putting the final versions into unity now, then ill be spending the next couple of days balancing everything before a RELEASE (not a second beta) on tuesday probably. I got that much done this week! No more out of game stuff to do! \o/

So much so i took a break today to celebrate all the assets being completed by using them to make a video guide for the upcoming release thread, detailing all the parts (except the drydock) and explaining the module customization.

So 1.0 should be up soon! I cant wait to finally release the entire thing.

(note you can see the new IXS communotron dish, i whipped it up after i got sick of the ingame one sticking through the cargo bay no matter how low i placed it :) )

That video is probably the best mod overview video I've see. I love it.

The video is indeed awesome. Can't wait for 1.0. What's the song called?

I wish KSP would allow the elongation warp effect you have at the end of the video.

Regarding the music on the video, Captain, I'm not sure which track it is, but I know that it's from the 'Tron: Legacy' soundtrack by Daft Punk. :) If you like the music in the video, I guarantee you'll like the whole album! The movie is pretty good, too, btw. IMO. :)

Edit: I have the album, I just went and checked. It's track 12, entitled "End Of Line".

And, to Stevie_D, excellent video, sir! You should do stuff like that professionally, if you don't already, lol! :D

Edited by Neutrinovore

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.