[Stopped] 6.4x Kerbol System v2.0.1 - RSS Config [11/16/14]

Raptor831

I made a Delta-V map for the 6.4 Kerbol System. All values are rounded estimates based on my in game testing. Hopefully it can find some use.Sj0BJdh.jpg?1

FYI these calculations were made with FAR installed.

Edited by nebuchadnezzar
Map Update

I'm not seeing sand on the beach or snowy mountain tops as there seemed to be in your pictures, but that's a little thing and I'll try reinstalling later since I may have changed a setting while poking around in your files.

That peak west of KSC is 9100 m tall? Oops. I think I'm okay with it, though. I'm pretty sure the config has the snow line fading in between 5600 and 6400 meters (a mistake global warming), but that might depend on latitude or might be before the mountain noise generator. There's snow on the mountains near Kermansberg and hopefully everywhere there's snow on the high-altitude texture.

The tallest point on Kerbin should be 8375 m... +/- 4000 m. The peak west of KSC is 6855 m on the heightmap, but has a massive random mountain on top of the mountain.

I don't think we really needed the 2x global terrain scalar, but this way pretty much every point on Kerbin has a scenic mountain view.

I made a Delta-V map for the 6.4 Kerbol System. All values are rounded estimates based on my in game testing. Hopefully it can find some use.

Hey, that's really nice. That's probably the best Delta-V map I've seen, even if some of the numbers are a bit scary. I might have to wait for Ferram's update to gas giant atmospheres in DeadlyReentry before I go to Jool.

Edited by NonWonderDog

Hey, that's really nice. That's probably the best Delta-V map I've seen, even if some of the numbers are a bit scary. I might have to wait for Ferram's update to gas giant atmospheres in DeadlyReentry before I go to Jool.

Thanks! I agree that the numbers are pretty scary in some instances. The numbers were calculated without aerobraking so I'm sure resourceful pilots can save delta-v where possible. Also, numbers were calculated with 200km 0 degree inclination orbits in mind for consistency, not efficiency. For example, a 200x200km orbit around Jool may not be practical in terms of delta-v cost.

Oh, I also wanted to share a config that I've put together for personal use for EVE Overhaul 9-2. This config adds clouds to Eve, Kerbin, Duna, Jool and Laythe. It's not perfect, but it's passable. Feel free to tinker with it and share any changes. To install simply replace my Atmosphere folder with the default one in the BoulderCo folder.

6.4x Kerbol System EVE Overhaul 9-2 Config

I made a Delta-V map for the 6.4 Kerbol System. All values are rounded estimates based on my in game testing. Hopefully it can find some use. ..snip..
Oh, I also wanted to share a config that I've put together for personal use for EVE Overhaul 9-2. This config adds clouds to Eve, Kerbin, Duna, Jool and Laythe. It's not perfect, but it's passable. Feel free to tinker with it and share any changes. To install simply replace my Atmosphere folder with the default one in the BoulderCo folder. ..snip..

Ha, looks like you've been busy! Nice job. I'm going to post a link in the OP to your posts so everyone can find them.

And I've been mucking around with the PQS mods for the config, and I think I'm well on my way to making actual mountains and not rather large hills. I'll try and release the config later today, but it needs a bit more tweaking IMO. Getting the textures to go where I want them isn't as easy as it should be...

@NonWonderDog The map seems to be looking good! I'm just being stubborn in the fact I don't want to use a different heightmap. :)

Well, I tested this out some more, made some more tweaks, and I'm happy enough with it to put it out in the wild. This may break any ships/bases/rovers you have on Kerbin. You have been warned. Updated 6.4x Kerbol config

This should replace your RealSolarSystem.cfg in /GameData/RealSolarSystem/. This is not a fully tested version, so YMMV. The mountains look more like mountains now, instead of rolling hills that happen to be really high. I'm still not completely happy with the peaks, as they still seem a bit off, but they're good enough. The peaks west of KSC are now actually peaks and ridges, and you get a nice area of green in between. There are interesting mountains around Kermansburg and Roka (which is where I tested). I can't say how "realistic" they are, as I'm pretty sure there are peaks above 10km. I still can't seem to control the textures, but that's more minor to me. The terrain is much better now, which is the important part.

If you have any suggestions, or find any bugs/oddities, let me know. I'll update the main download with this version if there are no further issues.

I still can't seem to control the textures, but that's more minor to me.

The landClass->altitudeRange->startStart, startEnd, etc. parameters seem to be fractions of or at least somehow based on a PQSLandControl parameter called vHeightMax. By default it's 3500. When the terrain was scaled by ~2x this should have been doubled as well.

I couldn't get very far by changing the altitudeRange values either. You'll get further if you add startStart, startEnd, endStart, and endEnd parameters for "baseLand" to the list (it's the default grass and trees), but it takes way too long to see changes without an in-game editor. I think these are essentially trapezoidal fuzzy logic functions for each land class, converted to meters ASL by multiplying by vHeightMax.

RSS reads vHeightMax, so you you might have okay results just replacing the PQSLandControl block with:

PQSLandControl
{
vHeightMax = 7000
}

You can use the terraforming mod to mess with the terrain stuff (including vHeightMax) in near real-time. You can't change the landClass altitudeRange parameters, though.

Edited by NonWonderDog

The landClass->altitudeRange->startStart, startEnd, etc. parameters seem to be fractions of or at least somehow based on a PQSLandControl parameter called vHeightMax. By default it's 3500. When the terrain was scaled by ~2x this should have been doubled as well.

I couldn't get very far by changing the altitudeRange values either. You'll get further if you add startStart, startEnd, endStart, and endEnd parameters for "baseLand" to the list (it's the default grass and trees), but it took way too long to see changes without an in-game editor.

RSS reads vHeightMax, so you you might have okay results just replacing the PQSLandControl block with:

PQSLandControl
{
vHeightMax = 7000
}

You can use the terraforming mod to mess with the terrain stuff in near real-time. You can't change the landClass altitudeRange parameters, though.

I found that mod just the other day, as NathanKell mentioned it. So much better than reloading every time. :) I'll mess with the vHeightMax and see if that helps. I have a feeling though that this will be one of those things that is never "finished"

I gave up and used a vertex color map. :P

Probably your best bet will be to change the vHeightMax and then lower the endstart and endend of the sand, then change both the starts and ends of the other stuff. You can get a full dump of all bodies' stock parameters here.

I gave up and used a vertex color map. :P

Probably your best bet will be to change the vHeightMax and then lower the endstart and endend of the sand, then change both the starts and ends of the other stuff. You can get a full dump of all bodies' stock parameters here.

Thanks for the parameter dump! Figured I could probably pull that from the game somehow, just hadn't looked into it yet.

I made a Delta-V map for the 6.4 Kerbol System. All values are rounded estimates based on my in game testing. Hopefully it can find some use.http://i.imgur.com/N9VABya.jpg

FYI these calculations were made with FAR installed.

What units are your "days" in? 6 hours or 24 hours? I assumed 24-hour days but Shimmy is doing a fly-by of the Mun, and his total trip is estimated at just over a single 24-hour day... His MET time was ~13.5 hours at periapsis over the Mun.

Edited by TaranisElsu

For reference, Kerbin itself has a 24-hour day with this config. Judging from the days on the dV map, I'd guess 6 hour days. 22 days to Minmus, even on an enlarged scale, seems quite long if we're talking 24-hour days.

I wonder if the atmosphere could be bit higher, it seems bit 'low', if compared to normal RSS, and yes, i realize that this is Kerbin that has unreal atmosphere height (1/10th would be like 18-20km in stock...). But anyway, a 120km atmo limit could work, i think... :)

Otherwise it is really challenging variation, especially when played with mainly stock without realism overhaul. Obviously, 120km atmo would kill all remaining orbit contracts, even those that go above 91km... :)

I wonder if the atmosphere could be bit higher, it seems bit 'low', if compared to normal RSS, and yes, i realize that this is Kerbin that has unreal atmosphere height (1/10th would be like 18-20km in stock...). But anyway, a 120km atmo limit could work, i think... :)

Otherwise it is really challenging variation, especially when played with mainly stock without realism overhaul. Obviously, 120km atmo would kill all remaining orbit contracts, even those that go above 91km... :)

When I originally made this config I went with scaling the atmosphere up by 32%, based mainly on what NathanKell had told me would be a good scaling. If we go from Earth relative size, 6.4x Kerbin should actually have an atmosphere height of 78km instead of 92km (60% of Earth atmosphere height based on 60% of Earth radius). RSS proper is 130km.

If you go about changing the atmosphere height, though, remember to change the scale height as well.

Yep, maxAtmosphereAltitude is purely cosmetic, and should be (if you are using legacy atmosphere, as bascailly everything does unless you change to pressureCurve) set to the altitude at which e^(-alt_in_km / scaleHeight) = 0.000001

If it's scaled by 6.4 times to the stock system, then all the delta-v's should be sqrt(6.4) ~ 2.5 times higher than the stock delta-v's. That's not including atmospheres though, which are scaled differently.

If it's scaled by 6.4 times to the stock system, then all the delta-v's should be sqrt(6.4) ~ 2.5 times higher than the stock delta-v's. That's not including atmospheres though, which are scaled differently.

The sun is not scaled like the rest of the solar system as it would be roughly analogous in radius to a B-class main sequence star while having only 5% of a solar mass, which is frankly silly. IIRC, Jool isn't scaled exactly either. If Raptor831 hasn't changed the parameters it should be in the (unscaled) range of a K-class main sequence star, both in radius and mass. According to the wiki this matches its temperature and color pretty well. Incidentally this also places Kerbin within the habitable zone for a star of that type based on its scaled SMA.

That means that Sun's GM is different than you would expect so delta-Vs for transfers can't be so easily calculated and orbital velocities will differ.

Curious: has anyone managed to build a reasonable SSTO? :D

I haven't seen one yet, but no one has posted to my knowledge. I'm sure without Advanced Jet Engine it should be easy enough. With AJE, it'll be tough. :)

The sun is not scaled like the rest of the solar system as it would be roughly analogous in radius to a B-class main sequence star while having only 5% of a solar mass, which is frankly silly. IIRC, Jool isn't scaled exactly either. If Raptor831 hasn't changed the parameters it should be in the (unscaled) range of a K-class main sequence star, both in radius and mass. According to the wiki this matches its temperature and color pretty well. Incidentally this also places Kerbin within the habitable zone for a star of that type based on its scaled SMA.

That means that Sun's GM is different than you would expect so delta-Vs for transfers can't be so easily calculated and orbital velocities will differ.

The delta-V calculator I posted should be close. Though I'll have to check if I updated the Sun's parameters. I haven't changed the mass, radii, or orbits of any of the planets from the original config. No need, in my opinion.

I've updated my 6.4x Delta V map to reflect transfer times based on a 24 hour day/365 day year. The map can be found on my original post here. Happy rocketing!

Sweet!

How do contracts play with this mod? I would guess the altitude based contracts are off, but are there any ways to procedurally change these?

I know the science definitions based on altitude are updated within the config, so your "flying" on Kerbin should be alright. Orbiting should be ok too. I'm not sure how the contract parameters themselves get generated.

EDIT: Well, after looking at Fine Print's source, the contracts are pulled from code-defined parameters, so the only way to procedurally alter them is to make a mod. Though, if the code is smart enough, you'd probably get proper altitudes anyway. And further delving into Fine Print's code suggests that it will do this.

Edited by Raptor831

How do contracts play with this mod?

I have played for a week so far, and the only time something was off, was when they asked for a velry low orbit, that was ok in stock, but glancing the atmo in 6.4x (91km in PE). Beside that, I had a request for 5.000.000km orbit around sun. Technically possible, but a little unreasonable practically, when Moho is about 32.000.000 - just imagine delta-v.

Those were 2 cases among, like, 50 ok contracts, so in the end problem is almost nonexistent :)

EDIT: forgot to clarify - I use MC extended and Fine print