[Stopped] 6.4x Kerbol System v2.0.1 - RSS Config [11/16/14]

Raptor831

I have a question about this mod. After I installed it suddenly the clouds are moving extremely fast around the planet. Noticeable when passing through the cloud layer. I have tons of mods installed so it might be from another mod but I thought I would ask here. Is there some config setting I need to fix? Visuals mods installed: EVE 7.3, RSS, Better Atmosphers, ATM, Texture Replacer.

thanks

If the scale height is what matters, then it should be the same. For Jool, scale height is 13.2, which by the math you mentioned gives almost exactly the same number.

The scale heights in the config should be corrected, I had no idea what they were supposed to be when I wrote the original config. IIRC, scale height = maxAltitude / 13.81551. E: as NathanKell pointed out.

Looks like I have some research to do regarding scale height/atmosphere height. Who knew games would have so much science in them...

Also, I've updated the download to include rusty's GroundStations for RT2. This will overwrite your RT2 settings, be warned! Just copy the GroundStations{...} section into your current RT2 settings file (overwriting the GroundStations{} node) if you've made changes.

New release is in the OP.

EDIT: Hrm, I seem to be having some trouble with the launch sites. Anyone not getting any launch sites with this release?

Edited by Raptor831

I'm still toying with this, and I think I'm almost getting the hang of the terrain settings. The first image is from the mountains near KSC:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The way the heightmap is drawn makes for some funny-looking mountain ranges sometimes, and I can't imagine what kind of plate tectonics would generate the geography near Roka. But with the noise frequency turned way up our goofy mountains look a lot bigger and more impressive -- even though I've shortened all the mountains significantly. I think I shortened them too much -- I was aiming for Everest but it looks like I ended up with Aconcagua -- but I'm having trouble raising them again and keeping the nice crags and valleys. This is using the edited heightmap I made, but I'm not sure how necessary it is. I'll try with the default one and see if it makes a difference.

I also want to go through and try to make sure all the easter eggs on on Kerbin aren't floating in the air or buried under a mountain. Anyone know how to convert the 3D coordinates shown in the terraforming mod to latitude and longitude?

Wut.

RealFuels is for engines and tanks. This mod is about changing planet size.

And engines and tanks are kinda needed to take off from a planet. and when that planet is 6.4x larger, new engine configs would be helpful. That is why i am asking.

Real Fuels doesn't add any tanks, and adds only one rescaled engine (which I will probably remove). It's not about balancing engines for any given planet size; it's about giving engines and tanks realistic stats.

If you want payload fractions to be reasonably close to KSP, I suggest using Real Fuels with Raptor's Stockalike RF configs (which preserves engine size and thrust, more or less, while making other stats realistic). If you want closer to real life payload fractions, then you should either not use RF, or use RF with "useRealisticMass" set to false.

Yes. your RealFuels adds realistic stats to engines. which goes very well with your real solar system. now take that planet and downscale it to about x6.4. then surely you can config the engines to match that instead. or am i a complete moron for thinking so

and i am using raptors cfg. just wanted to know if theres anything else out there

Yes. your RealFuels adds realistic stats to engines. which goes very well with your real solar system. now take that planet and downscale it to about x6.4. then surely you can config the engines to match that instead. or am i a complete moron for thinking so

and i am using raptors cfg. just wanted to know if theres anything else out there

The stockalike configs Raptor has compiled have been the best fit i've found so far. It's impressive how much of the modscape is covered between RF and the configs... *boggle*

Sorry, I think there's still a misunderstanding. The engines aren't scaled to match a planet/system size, they're given real engines' stats. Or, in the case of Raptor's configs, taking stock thrust as a given, the engine is given stats to match that thrust (and how high-tech it looks?)

Same way the tanks aren't just changed for system size, they're changed to have real life mass ratios.

You can (and people do) use RF in the stock Kerbol system; using hardware that performs like real life isn't restricted to a solar system that's the same as real life.

Sorry, I think there's still a misunderstanding. The engines aren't scaled to match a planet/system size, they're given real engines' stats. Or, in the case of Raptor's configs, taking stock thrust as a given, the engine is given stats to match that thrust (and how high-tech it looks?)

Same way the tanks aren't just changed for system size, they're changed to have real life mass ratios.

You can (and people do) use RF in the stock Kerbol system; using hardware that performs like real life isn't restricted to a solar system that's the same as real life.

I think you are misunderstanding what im asking for. I dont know how to explain it any better though :/

The stockalike configs Raptor has compiled have been the best fit i've found so far. It's impressive how much of the modscape is covered between RF and the configs... *boggle*

Yea, seems to be the best fit ive found aswell :)

There's nothing else that would fit, at least that I know of. The stockalike configs are well suited because they're kerbal-sized but with realistic stats. Which is exactly what the 6.4x RSS is. If you go for full RSS, you'd simply need the 10m engines to get anywhere.

You can take my stockalike XLS file and roll your own configs, if you want something really custom. Heck, that's how I ended up with the Stockalike configs. If you get something cool, let me know in that thread! :)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I'm finally getting around to learning git and contributing a few tweaks to Raptor's repository.

I'm not sure how well I'll end up maintaining this (git is confusing for a guy like me who uses svn at work), but anyone interested in playing with my terrain should be able to download my latest progress from here:

https://github.com/NonWonderDog/6-4-KerbolSystem/archive/develop.zip

Still a few things left to do, and I haven't found time to check the easter eggs yet. And I really want to see Kerbin with fjords.

Edited by NonWonderDog

http://imgur.com/a/uV71e

I'm finally getting around to learning git and contributing a few tweaks to Raptor's repository.

I sure how well I'll end up maintaining this (git is confusing for a guy like me who uses svn at work), but anyone interested in playing with my terrain should be able to download my latest progress from here:

https://github.com/NonWonderDog/6-4-KerbolSystem/archive/develop.zip

Still a few things left to do, and I haven't found time to check the easter eggs yet. And I really want to see Kerbin with fjords.

I checked out your pull requests, as I happened to be checking email when GitHub pinged me! Everything looked good, so they're already merged. And GitHub does take a bit of getting used to. I've only used SVN a couple times, but once you run through the Git process a few times it isn't too hard.

As a personal note, I think I'm taking a bit of a break from KSP at the moment. Decided to play a few other games in my free time for a bit, so as I don't totally burn out on KSP. Lately, I seem to test configs more than actually play! :wink: But I'll keep an eye on these threads and I'll be back into it, no worries. KSP is too good of a game for me to be gone for too long!