[Stopped] 6.4x Kerbol System v2.0.1 - RSS Config [11/16/14]

Raptor831

Can anyone tell me waht the altitude for Keostationary orbit with 24hour rotation is? I tried 30130.12 like in Nebuchadnezzar's Delta-V map but I found it much to high, and don't know how to work it out for myself.

That number is also in regex's calculations, so I'm going to assume that 30130.12 km is right. Don't know why it wouldn't be working though. As I said before, I think this config is broken in the newest RSS, so check out the fork I posted about above.

I've finally updated this to match Paul Kingtiger's package/fork of this. So, this should be all updated to work properly with the newest RSS, and have compatibility files for RemoteTech, DRE, and ScanSat. Note, that if you already have Paul Kingtiger's 64x installed, the only differences are that I kept the multiple launch sites and kept the RT dishes at some bases. And, obviously, this doesn't come with RSS and a EVE config preinstalled.

Download is updated on the OP. Let me know if there are any bugs.

Sorry, but no pics, no clicks.

Lol. That made my day.

The really interesting mods, those that make fundamental alterations, are not about eyecandy. After 19 pages of comments, this adaptation of RSS has plenty of clicks already.

Edited by Sandworm

Has anyone experienced a jittering or vibrating terrain while landed on planets other than Kerbin? For me, it's the Mun. The surface is just constantly moving back and forth by a few pixels. It's only noticeable being landed, not even from low altitude during descent.

I've tried removing the Mun replacement texture in TextureReplacer and removing E.V.E, that didn't work.

Hoping I'm not the only one that's seen this, because I really don't know what to do fix it...

Has anyone experienced a jittering or vibrating terrain while landed on planets other than Kerbin? For me, it's the Mun. The surface is just constantly moving back and forth by a few pixels. It's only noticeable being landed, not even from low altitude during descent.

I've tried removing the Mun replacement texture in TextureReplacer and removing E.V.E, that didn't work.

Hoping I'm not the only one that's seen this, because I really don't know what to do fix it...

Haven't been off of Kerbin in a while, since I've been testing other stuff. But I've never noticed any flickering once landed...

If you want, post a log and we might be able to see something.

Haven't been off of Kerbin in a while, since I've been testing other stuff. But I've never noticed any flickering once landed...

If you want, post a log and we might be able to see something.

Thanks Raptor.

I've fought this for 3 days now and made very little progress. I've attached logs and a youtube link so you can see. I'm like you, I don't make it off Kerbin a lot.

So far, I've narrowed it down to something related to this piece of PQSMod:

Mun
{
PQSMod_VertexHeightMap
{
heightMapOffset = =371.9
heightMapDeformity = 10591.5
}
PQSMod_VertexSimplexHeight // doubles
{
deformity = 1200 // 400
persistence = 0.6 //0.5
frequency = 6 // 12
}
[B] PQSMod_VertexHeightNoiseVertHeight // floats
{
deformity = 1200 // 400
frequency = 12 // 12
}[/B]
PQSMod_VoronoiCraters
{
KEYvoronoiSeed = 462
deformation = 600 //200
}

When I got rid of the VertexHeightNoiseVertHeight altogether, the problem went away. My terrain was suddenly textured strangely and not as curvy, but the flicker went away.

I assumed this meant there was something to do with the frequency factor, so I changed that too -- went all over the board with it, but no change.

Changed all of my quality settings in KSP -- full res, quarter res. High terrain, default. Image quality adjustments didn't make a difference.

Also, a subnote that I'll drop a pull request on Github:

PQSMod_VertexHeightMap
{
[B]heightMapOffset = =371.9[/B]
}

That 2nd equals sign shouldn't be there, I don't think?

Video

* Sorry for the crummy quality.

KSP Log

Player Log

I scanned both of those logs a million times for any kind of indicator for this and couldn't find anything. If you do, I will be embarrassed. :)

Ok, well, I'm not sure what's going on. And yeah, that'd be really annoying! My next question would be if this happens with just RSS + 6.4x config installed? Just want to rule out any odd interactions with other mods.

The PQSMod_VertexHeightNoiseVertHeight is just a random noise generator for the terrain mesh. First argument is basically the max amplitude and the second is (obviously) the frequency. Frequency = 0 will give you flat, and deformity = 0 will give you flat (at least for that node). All of the PQS mods stack, so removing this would give you a much smoother (boring) terrain. I don't have any idea why removing it would fix the flickering, though. The terrain mesh isn't a dynamic thing once it's generated (I don't think). The only thing off the top of my head is some sort of z-fighting issue with the texture. Like how on Kerbin the shoreline sometimes flickers.

I'll see if I can replicate this on my end.

PS - Yeah, that extra "=" is probably a typo. Nice catch! Does it change anything if you remove it?

No, fixing the typo didn't make a difference.

And the z-fighting is still there on the full RSS Moon. But I tested landing on Mercury and didn't see the same issue. Maybe a little bit, but very slight, or my eyes were crossing. But the 6.4x Mun and RSS Moon are the only bodies using that VertexHeightNoiseVertHeight PSQMod.

I updated my graphics driver to the newest Nvidia 343. I checked my settings through that to make sure I didn't have anything funny enabled.

Please let me know if you see the same on your end. If so, I guess we'll throw the issue @Nathankell's way. If not, well then I dunno what to do. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update to say I think I figured out my issue with the flickering. Updating my Nvidia driver to 343.22 and adjusting my OpenGL quality settings seems to have had a positive impact. I also reduced antialiasing and increased anisotropic filtering, and enabled sharpening. Not sure what exactly resolved the issue or why it was only planet textures doing it, but I'm just grateful that I can play once again.

In the meantime, I made Mun heightmaps and normal maps in 8k (probably overkill) quality through all of the troubleshooting for this, so I figured I'd share it?

Mun Heightmap

Mun Normalmap

You can grab an 8k colormap here, courtesy of Endraxial's texture pack.

Add it to your RealSolarSystem.cfg file like this:

Mun
{
Radius = 1280000
Mass = 4.0039886626E+022
rotationPeriod = 351604.384
Orbit
{
semiMajorAxis = 76800000
}
SSColor = GameData/RealSolarSystem/Plugins/PluginData/MunColor.png
SSBump = GameData/RealSolarSystem/Plugins/PluginData/Mun_NRM.png
PQS
{
Mun
{
// maxLevel = 14
// maxQuadLenghtsPerFrame = 0.001 //i.e. nearly disable this -- and yes, typo is correct.
PQSMod_VertexHeightMap
{
heightMapOffset = -371.9
heightMap = GameData/RealSolarSystem/Plugins/PluginData/MunHeight.png
}

Thanks again for taking the time to explain the PSQ system to me, Raptor. Glad to know that it was just my damn machine.

Just an update to say I think I figured out my issue with the flickering. Updating my Nvidia driver to 343.22 and adjusting my OpenGL quality settings seems to have had a positive impact. I also reduced antialiasing and increased anisotropic filtering, and enabled sharpening. Not sure what exactly resolved the issue or why it was only planet textures doing it, but I'm just grateful that I can play once again.

In the meantime, I made Mun heightmaps and normal maps in 8k (probably overkill) quality through all of the troubleshooting for this, so I figured I'd share it?

Mun Heightmap

Mun Normalmap

You can grab an 8k colormap here, courtesy of Endraxial's texture pack.

Add it to your RealSolarSystem.cfg file like this:

Mun
{
Radius = 1280000
Mass = 4.0039886626E+022
rotationPeriod = 351604.384
Orbit
{
semiMajorAxis = 76800000
}
SSColor = GameData/RealSolarSystem/Plugins/PluginData/MunColor.png
SSBump = GameData/RealSolarSystem/Plugins/PluginData/Mun_NRM.png
PQS
{
Mun
{
// maxLevel = 14
// maxQuadLenghtsPerFrame = 0.001 //i.e. nearly disable this -- and yes, typo is correct.
PQSMod_VertexHeightMap
{
heightMapOffset = -371.9
heightMap = GameData/RealSolarSystem/Plugins/PluginData/MunHeight.png
}

Thanks again for taking the time to explain the PSQ system to me, Raptor. Glad to know that it was just my damn machine.

Well done! I'm kinda glad it was just your machine also. :wink: Didn't really fancy tracking down a bug within PQS or RSS. I can wrangle configs all day, but C# isn't my cup of tea. I'm more of a PHP/CSS/Javascript guy!

My guess is that it was a funny z-fighting kind of thing. RSS really stretches the planets, so things are bound to get odd. Sorry I couldn't have been more of a help.

• 2 weeks later...
Stock Kerbin is SMALL! It's probably been six months since I've even looked at KSP in its native state. It's like playing minigolf in your thirties.

Once you start playing with mods, you don't go back. :wink: It's like a drug...

Oh, and for reference: this won't be "updated" for 0.90 until RSS is updated. Fairly obvious, but worth mentioning. Probably won't need updating unless RSS changes in some way, either, but we shall see.

This seems to be working alright with the new RSS, only issue is that the tracking station can be hard to click on in some of the alternate launch sites.

Thanks for the report! The "hard to click on" part has been around since I started playing RSS, so that's probably expected. Something to do with the meshes being stretched and moved I suppose.

Hi, I seem to be having a problem with the multiple launch sites. whenever you click on any alternative site (even the KSC) it renders the tracking station, admin building and direct access to launchpad (I.e, still usable via VAB) inaccessible from then onwards.

Incidentally, I had originally been using Paul Kingtiger's version but is this now the 'official' 6.4x thread?

Hi, I seem to be having a problem with the multiple launch sites. whenever you click on any alternative site (even the KSC) it renders the tracking station, admin building and direct access to launchpad (I.e, still usable via VAB) inaccessible from then onwards.

Incidentally, I had originally been using Paul Kingtiger's version but is this now the 'official' 6.4x thread?

Any chance you'll put this on CKAN?

These are kind of related. Paul and I are working together a bit on 6.4x/64K. This version right now should be just the 6.4x scaling without 64Ks visuals or extras. So, really, 64K is like 6.4x Advanced; both the same RSS config.

Eventually, we want this on CKAN, but it's a bit more difficult than most mods, due to the dependencies. So we're working on that! :)

EDIT: Oh, forgot! There's an updated to RSS that might fix the glitchy alternate sites.

Edited by Raptor831
Clarification

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a quick look through the posts and didn't seem to find anything relevant, so here is my question:

Is there any way to change the world default time to 24H rather then the default 6H? According to the world clock kerbin multiple days go by before kerbin makes a single rotation. Nothing urgent, just curious.

I am not sure if he means that... If he had a 6h day with the rescale, he would have to know about the 24h config as well since both have to be installed separately. When you take the default 12h day for example, Kerbins Rotation takes "2d" as listed in the information window in map view. So maybe that is the issue here...

If it is, i think there was an option for that in the general settings tab of KSP?

I've had a quick look through the posts and didn't seem to find anything relevant, so here is my question:

Is there any way to change the world default time to 24H rather then the default 6H? According to the world clock kerbin multiple days go by before kerbin makes a single rotation. Nothing urgent, just curious.

If you're talking about just the global game clock, you can switch that between 6hr days and 24hr days in the settings (don't recall exactly where). Unfortunately there's no option to use a 12hr day so this config matches perfectly. :)