[WEB] Visual RemoteTech Planner for MOD RemoteTech

ryohpops

Visual RemoteTech Planner for KSP

Here is a web-based satellite network planner for the MOD, RemoteTech.

You can plan your communication satellites network with graphical figures.

The in-game MOD version, RemoteTech Assist Calculator is not actively developed.

Source and issue tracker are available on github.

Issues, bug reports, contributers are always welcome.

Planned feature list

- The highest/lowest limit altitude to establish the satellite connection ring.

- The lower limit of stable altitude.

- Electricity calculation when orbiting moon is in parent planet's night.

- Upper limit of stable altitude above a polar.

Not planned at the moment

- Care about eccentricity or multiple orbit.

Finally, thank you for your great MOD, Remote Technologies Group, and for all users!

Edited by ryohpops

It would be better if you can just select the antenna/dish you want, so that don't have to look for the comm's range and EC consumption.

It's just an idea that makes it handier

PS: I will look into the code, and if I understand it, I will try to help :D

Edited by Olympic1

It would be better if you can just select the antenna/dish you want, so that don't have to look for the comm's range and EC consumption.

yea but then you're stuck with maintaining a list of antenna/dishes and their proper values in case they change for whatever reason. Plus, anyone can change the values of their antenna/dishes to whatever they want (like the RSS guys) so in the end it's just better to have all the numbers be input by the user

P.S. - love the night planner addition!

Additionally, you should have a warning when people input an orbital altitude that is outside of the SOI of the body they are orbiting

Edited by Gaiiden

This is so great – thank you!

As I already said: It would be great if there was the possibility to enter the plantet's attributes by hand – even with inclination (for the darkness time).

Thank you for your suggestions.

I will add a list of issue/planned feature at the first post.

Implement of spec-pre-filled list of antennas is scheduled, but as Gaiiden say, keeping data up-to-date is not easy.

So, I'm thinking about that input method of parameters can be switched between "from list" and "by hand" as the solution for the present.

Dealing with the inclination and the eccentricity is not planned at the moment, sorry.

Edited by ryohpops

One more feature wish:

It would be nice to be able to set

RangeModelType = Additive

MultipleAntennaMultiplier = 1

Quote from: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83305-Development-Resumed-RemoteTech-2?p=1344079&viewfull=1#post1344079

Additive means range between two stations is not the same as the range of either station.For two stations A and B, where A has a lower range than B:

Let range_A = if(A has dish AND dish is pointed at B) then (dish) else sum(range of each omni on A, where the range of all but the longest-ranged is * multiplier)

Let range_B = the same for B.

Maximum range between A and B: range_A + sqrt(range_A * range_B)

You see why "the current satellite's omni range" is not actually a meaningful concept, since it's dependent on what you're trying to talk to.

I'm just at an early stage that wondering how to handle a satellite with multiple antenna/dishes,

so availability of Additive range calculation will be considered after I have a measurable plan.

Anyway, thank you for your suggestion.

This is a neat idea and a nice solution to replace the scaps of paper I usually doodle sat networks on.

My only problem with it is that I almost never setup up cicular orbits for satellite networks, I use highly eliptical orbits (kinda like Molniya orbits) as I find those make a more stable network. Any chance of adding support for eliptical orbits? I realise that is a whole mathematical can of worms, but it would be awesome if you could do that.

Well, dealing with eccentricity needs simulation not only calculation, so it's very hard to do.

To be honest, this planner does very simple calculation based on Euclidean geometry,

in short, only handles circles, points and lines in a certain moment.

As you say, I think more complicated and time-related calculation is necessary for elliptic orbits.

I don't aim for create an orbit simulator in this moment, sorry.

P.S.

After thinking about the third Delta-V view, I realized it can be possible to deal with inclination as long as all satellites are in the single orbit.

Edited by ryohpops

Another nice thing to have (though it might not be far away from what you're planning, just an idea): a planner for SCANsat (set angle of view and distance, get the best inclination for the least orbits.

I love SCANsat too and need a tool like your idea.

After completion of this project, perhaps I will do something for it as another project.

And, I update planner with implement of "by hand" input mode.

I hope it will meet your expectations.

Oh, this is what I want to use.

I'm going to setup an environment from the first to run that scripts.

And, I released beta 2.2.

Data for stock universe and needed antennas are filled and user's custom body data is stored in cookie, making the planner customized for each user.

Release version beta2.3.

- Sphere of Influence is drawn as yellow circle.

- Overhaul input validation (only step and range adjustment, no effect on actions).

- Better display method for numbers, with thousand separators and round to the third decimal place.

I have my own copy of the satellite spreadsheet and I have 2 useful info in it :

- Longest connection to ground : the maximum distance of a sat to the ground. usefull when you want to make sure your sat can contact the KSC

- Height above horizon of connection between Satellite : the make sure your sat can see each other.

Some may like those too.

The development of fourth view is halted.

If I try to get accurate values with the parent body, I need to simulate movements of body and satellites,.

However, this website doesn't aim at a satellites simulator.

In reality, you can calculate the value which the fourth view tried to obtain even now.

Input all data as usual, change Body to the parent of it and Altitude to it's revolution radius.

• 1 month later...

This tool is a MOD now, thanks to bandi94.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/95072-0-24-2-RemoteTech-Assist-calculator-%28V-0-1-1-%29%28Sept-30%29

I become a contributer of the MOD and any updates of functions or new features will be seen there.

Development of this website is halted. Please check the mod after this.

First of all... Thank you this has been very helpful.

I have a idea... I like the blue / red line to let us know of isolation between satellites. Can you add a second line to the next satellite out, when you have more than four satellites in orbit? (In order to have double coverage. As drifting is always a concern.)

Thank you for your support.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.