[1.2.x - 1.3.x][Part] SRS: Small Cockpits for Spaceplanes and Airliners v0.8 (2016-10-21), 1.2 compatibility, IVA overhaul

Konnor

Vgz7ZZV.jpg

I've been looking for something like this for quite some time: a command pod resembling a small business jet. There are several 2.5m options, but (at the moment of starting this - now we have the new stock Mark1 cockpit) I could not find any 1.25m-sized ones (all I have seen are bubble/canopy cockpits).

Well, here it is now.

The mesh has been completely reworked In version 0.4 (windows recolored in v0.7), and I consider it an improvement over the original model (see older screenshots in the album below). During this rework I've also came up with this B9-inspired version:

28tIdMs.jpg

It is now included into the download along with original one (having RCS ports since v0.6 and altered elongated form since v0.7.4), and I've also tried to balance them a bit, nerfing heat tolerances for the older cockpit and moving this new one to the next tech tree node.

Both parts use the same custom internal space, which, as in-game experiments proved, has enough room for two pilot seats arranged side by side:

LFT4ynP.jpg

Note: this is an alternative version from IVA patch. IVA patch requires ASET Props pack, ASET Avionics pack and B9 Aerospace props; I don't want to treat all that as a requirement, and currently I am not aware of any way to detect them all reliably.

More images: If only we could have a way to embed an album...

The default stock version is much more modest (different angle is due to KSP 1.2 changes: cameras for male Kerbals are set higher than for females):

D8QTMYb.jpg

Starting version 0.8 I am dropping support for RPM-only IVA configuration for two-seat cockpits as multiple configs are taking increasingly more time to set up and manage.

Since version 0.5, there is now a third cockpit, looking somewhat similar to that of X20 DynaSoar:

u1D3eX4.jpg

It has built-in RCS ports and uses another custom internal space, with crew capacity of one (with RPM support and stock-only fallback):

UxL6KJv.jpg

Images for previous versions: http://imgur.com/a/p4Wrw 

Legal stuff:

Spoiler

(I consider this a hindrance but forum rules require it)

License for this mod: GPL

Licenses for other mods that are not redistributed here but are relied upon:

Credits:

Spoiler

Changelog:

Spoiler
  • v0.8 Two seat internal space overhaul, KSP 1.2 compatibility
  • v0.7.6 mass fixes for real fuels, CoM offsets and other tweaks, 1.0.5 compatibility
  • v0.7.5 RealFuels configuration for built-in RCS thrusters, stock thermal parameters tweaked
  • v0.7.4 Altered TEH Cockpit shape: less abrupd cross-section area changes to minimize wave drag with FAR
  • v0.7.3 Deadly Reentry 7.x compatibility (ModuleAeroReentry and skin-related parameters)
  • v0.7.2 KSP 1.0 compatibility update (attach nodes fixed, textures converted to DDS)
  • v0.7.1 GameData mod subdirectory renamed to SRS, Connected Living Space config added
  • v0.7 SRS/TEH internal space rearranged, added IVA config with B9 props, different window colors
  • v0.6 RCS thrusters integrated into TEH Spaceplane cockpit and specular shader for SOAR cockpit, directory structure rearranged
  • v0.5 New single seat cockpit added along with custom internal space
  • v0.4 Original model completely reworked; another cockpit added; minor fixes of the internal model; balance tweaks
  • v0.3 Functional IVA with two pilot seats
  • v0.2 (Something resembling) a normal map; small amount of monopropellant added, directory structure changed
  • v0.1 Initial release

Download from github

Edited by Konnor

parameciumkid

Well, my cockpit is not as cute as Slinky...

MaverickSawyer

I want to add an IVA. It is currently beyond my skills but I'll see what I can do.

Speaking about internals, should I fit two pilots inside, as usually is the case with business jets? I doubt there is actually enough room for two kerbals with their helmets on, but maybe I should ignore such inconsistencies for the sake of rule of cool. There is, after all, a two-kerbal helicopter cockpit from Firespitter. So what do you think?

Edited by Konnor

The only way I can see this as a two pilot is if they are seated one behind the other as like the Firespitter helicopter cockpit. But it might not be long enough to have two seated one behind another as with the first one getting out.

Azimech

Sure, I don't mind.

I must also point out that it does not actually matter whether I do or don't mind. It is out there now, published and all, so anyone can use it, modify, reupload, make derivative stuff, whatever, just don't erase me from the "author" field in the config (GPL also requires that the source must be available, but I don't really understand what can be considered a source for the model; .mu-file is probably enough).

Edited by Konnor

Version 0.2 is out, original post updated.

Had to unwrap the texture again because, with window frame placed separately, normals looked even uglier than they are now; as a result, it turned out a bit brighter than in previous version.

Also added monoprop, as in stock cockpits.

MKtPbKx.jpg

IVA progress.

Seems not much, by the looks of it, but I have more or less figured out the most difficult part  setting this all up in unity and exporting.

No props yet, but this pic demonstrates two things: visibility and seat positions (portraits were copied from another screenshot).

Well, I don't know, I see that two kerbals fit side by side. True, it's cramped a bit, but they don't clip through each other or walls or ceiling. Even with 1:1 scale.

Now, I'm not yet sure about crew capacity, but there is another thing I'm currently stuck with: I have placed seat transforms, so that kerbals spawn inside, but how do I add actual seat model? I honestly don't want to (and probably can't) make one myself, is there a way to reuse stock internal seat? Could not find it in any IVA-related thread, thanks in advance for any help.

Paradoxically this cockpit has better visibility than some stock cockpits. I hope you keep working on it. Maybe have a look at some other cockpit meshes out there.

Yeah, that's been my issue with stock cockpits and some mod ones, especially B9. The windshields are supposed to be small enough to not be a big structural hole, yes, but they're also supposed to make it possible to see and fly manually in case autopilot ever fails. Good job so far, Konnor!

It's taking shape, I guess (but I cannot into textures).

f5CiI05.jpg

Tried to arrange main instruments "classically", somewhat like in pre-glass Cessna 173 cockpit or DynaSoar. Unfortunately we don't have analog speedometer gauge (which makes sense as orbital speeds vary drastically, but still, it could be useful for atmospheric flights), or inclinometer, or flat attitude indicator (though there is one in Firespitter), so I've used a navball instead.

All in all, it looks a bit unconventional for KSP as it is now. But flyable.

8IkCttU.jpg

Maybe have a look at some other cockpit meshes out there.

Yeah, it is apparently possible to spawn another internal mesh and copy something from it, but Unity freaks out when I load something or reload my internal config, my model disappears from game object. I'll keep trying. Alternatively I can just add two B9 seats to the config, but I don't want to pull B9 as a dependency.

The windshields are supposed to be small enough to not be a big structural hole, yes, but they're also supposed to make it possible to see and fly manually in case autopilot ever fails.

That raises a question: how "space-worthy" can this cockpit be considered? It is, after all, modeled after generic "business jet" concept, and these things are not supposed to scream through the atmosphere at reentry speeds. But, on the other hand, that's kerbals we are talking about...

Edited by Konnor

Yeah, it is apparently possible to spawn another internal mesh and copy something from it, but Unity freaks out when I load something or reload my internal config, my model disappears from game object. I'll keep trying. Alternatively I can just add two B9 seats to the config, but I don't want to pull B9 as a dependency.

I was referring to the outside mesh. You could work on it more. It looks a little simple right now. Turbosquid or something will probably have wireframe shots of stuff like this. Try to match it.

I've found a (rather hacky, I must admit) way to use the stock seat in my internals. I took a part of GenericSpace2, merged together everything forming a seat and to my surprise, the resulting combination unwrapped in a way that fits its texture perfectly. So all that remained was importing two of these into Unity's game object:

wCgrcVK.jpg

As a result, these two seats now become a part of model.mu baked by KSP part tools, and there is probably no way to import this seat as a prop. The texture is also duplicated, but this can be fixed, I just don't know how. Anyway, I hope it is a "fair use" of a model that is part of KSP, even though it gets duplicated.

With this problem out of the way and some more work on props arrangement I now consider the internals functionally complete and ready for the new release. Original post updated, version 0.3 download link added.

I was referring to the outside mesh. You could work on it more. It looks a little simple right now.

It is indeed way too simple, which leads to some weird in-game lighting effects; I'll try to do something about it, and I need to improve internal model too, including textures, but I need some break, this whole modeling business is rather painful.

Edited by Konnor

Hi again, some kind of update here.

As you have probably noticed, my internal space is not 100% true to its outer shape. While it started as a copy of external model and retains its overall shape and size, it has slightly different window arrangement  four flat windows angled to approximate the general shape of that one big round window.

Well, I went through this whole process in reverse  started from internals, mostly windows and surrounding area, and tried to build an external model around it.

This is what I've got so far:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This time, due to imminent v5 release, I tried to match B9 visual style. It looks somewhat like S3 cockpit, especially redisigned version, but without animations and with circular node end. I've also managed to make it less "irregular" then my first model  for instance, the hatch is now painted on an even cylindrical surface, without distortions.

All in all, I like this new cockpit much better than the one currently released and actually consider replacing the old one with this.

But, on the other hand, it is different enough to consider it a separate part; in this case I'll have not just a part, but a part pack, and my old cockpit will still need a major redesign. It is likely that I change its windows to better match the internals (both parts will have the same IVA model), but the rest of it will be more or less round, like it is now.

But no new download yet, probably later this week...

Edited by Konnor

All right, now there are two of them:

jPBwAjH.jpg

I've added that new cockpit from my previous post to the download, and reworked the original one. They both have the same rear end and windows, but different front sections. I've also tweaked their configuration (Warning for Deadly Reentry users: original cockpit is now less tough,with only 1600 degrees as a maximum temperature instead of 1700, and 20% heat deflected instead of 25. It is, after all, a business jet cockpit. The second one is supposed to be more space-worthy, it is also heavier and more expensive, and available in Advanced Flight Control tree node).

Original post updated, version 0.4 download is up.

I wanted to make something exactly like this, because I wanted one. Well played, yours looks much, much better than when I tried to make it *cough* a few */cough* times. :P

It looks great, and I just love the cockpit! :D

-Naten

• 1 month later...

OX8oyrc.jpg

For those who don't like the idea of cramming two kerbals into 1.25m space, here is another cockpit, with only one pilot seat, largely inspired by the X20 (yes, I know there is already a mod in development for that, but that mod is of much larger scale and is aimed at replicating the DynaSoar, which will probably involve a new fuselage system, while my cockpit fits standard 1.25 node and just uses a similar shape).

Features new internal space. And RCS ports too.

First post updated with v0.5 download link.

• 4 weeks later...

oaxGAsR.jpg

Another update here: TEH spaceplane cockpit now has RCS thrusters too. Hope these painted ports don't look way too ugly.

Directory structure changed a bit this time, so it would be best to remove old version before installing this one (part names did not change though, existing crafts should not be disrupted).

Download link updated in the original post.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.