[0.25] Crotchety Old Mod - Parts and FX for a NASA Mars Mission

NathanKell

Crotchety Old Mod

by ferram4 and NathanKell with graphic design by r4m0n

Used for this mission report for the Kerbin Cup contest.

eklQGCwm.png

Includes large-nozzle tankless LVT-45 mesh by Lack

Includes Procedural Fairings model by e-dog

Instructions:

1. Extract COM, SN_Fairings, and StretchySNTextures folders inside the archive to GameData. (You may already have the latter two folders; overwrite if so.)

2. Install crafts as desired.

Requirements:

*Realism Overhaul and its dependencies, in particular:

+Deadly Reentry

+FASA

+TweakScale

+Procedural Parts

+TAC Life Support

+Procedural Fairings

*FusTek Station Parts

*Taurus Capsule

*TiberDyne Shuttles (just the nosecones)

*Reaching for the Clouds

*FTmN Atomic Rockets (in particular the smallest NTR, the ltby5000; the others aren't touched)

*HotRockets

Description:

This mod was developed to support Crotchety Old Modders in our fulfillment of the Mars mission challenge in the Kerbin Cup. It includes the following additions and changes:

*Redone FX by ferram4 for all engines we used, with proper underexpansion effects

*The AJ10-131 (subscale SPS), used in COM-verse Gemini

*A redone Gemini Service Module used in COM-verse Gemini

*1.25m docking ports (an androgynous version of the Apollo probe/drogue-size ports)

*DynaSoar parts (a nose, a cockpit, a crew hab module, a service module/fueltank)

*Earth Return Vehicle (a lightened six-person Apollo capsule)

*LR-87LH2 (Aerojet's successful project in the late 1950s to adapt the LR-87 to hydrolox)

*MEM parts (rescaled/statted heatshield, capsule, etc)

*MHM parts and heatshield

*AJW3-N130: a 300kN NERVA Project NTR (with notional late-1970s performance characteristics extrapolated from existing stats)

*Mass changes for Procedural Fairings (and a flattened version of the interstage)

*A larger TACLS purifier, meant for the MHM and the FRV stack.

*Craft files for various craft used in the mission report.

Download

GitHub

License CC-BY-SA

Screenshots:

9NxibKfl.jpg

Apollo 10 (a direct ascent mission launched by a Saturn C-8) lifts off, October 1969

Idy6EzAl.jpg

Ares III-1 (the first cargo mission, using a Saturn VIII MLV) lifts off, October 1979

e9hvDAal.jpg

Ares III-1 in vacuum.

mytfI7Al.jpg

Saturn N nuclear transfer stage inserts the Flight and Return Vessel into an Earth parking orbit.

O3QSsYDl.jpg

DynaSoar with its RL-10-powered maneuvering stage

H618FQnl.jpg

Mars Habitation Module and Mars Excursion Module propulsively capture into low Martian orbit.

Edited by NathanKell
partmod, so .25 compat.

• 1 month later...

Excellent hardware, I would love to see more pictures of it in action!

I will fiddle with this a bit.

I -love- the engine exhaust effects as shown in the picture and look forward to seeing them in action. As my interest in KSP has deepened, I have learned some rocket science, and about some of the things inaccurate in base - KSP.

For instance, ISP will vary with atmospheric pressure, and is partially dependent on the rocket nozzle shape. Thrust can be under-expanded, optimally expanded, and over-expanded. An F-1 rocket engine is at least somewhat optimized for producing high levels of ground level thrust, and this will inevitably result in the exhaust gas being under-expanded when operating in a vacuum. I am curious if reflecting that was your intention with what we see in the exhaust gasses here?

Thanks for that, the album is excellent!

I looked at the original forum for the Cup, and don't feel up to digging through 110 pages of posts. Was there by chance ever a video of a launch? I would love to see the exhaust and thrust plumes evolve. I attempted to use the information in this thread to recreate those effects, and did not have any luck.

Thanks!

Alas there is no video, partly because KSP was crashing every few minutes (last time either of us touched KSP Win x64).

MaxP: If you just deleted FASA parts without replacing them, then things are going to be very, very strange for all the craft that use FASA parts. Also, it'd be great if you added a readme to the zip so it complies with the license in the first post :)

Sorry about this random mod question but you did use this in your challenge entry and I don't see a clear description as to where you got it. By "this" I mean the huge fiery engine exact. What mod was it that you used to create the gigantic much more realistic fireball rocket flame? I'd love to have a flame like that behind my rockets.

6XaJPn2.png

vs:

76K34aY.png

See my point ;)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

MaxP: If you just deleted FASA parts without replacing them, then things are going to be very, very strange for all the craft that use FASA parts. Also, it'd be great if you added a readme to the zip so it complies with the license in the first post :)

My english betrayed me.

I've deleted only FASA* string (i.e.FASALM_DescentEngine to LM_DescentEngine).

Also, it'd be great if you added a readme to the zip so it complies with the license in the first post

Maybe, you can add it to first post, as your own? No other things touched.

Sorry about this random mod question but you did use this in your challenge entry and I don't see a clear description as to where you got it. By "this" I mean the huge fiery engine exact. What mod was it that you used to create the gigantic much more realistic fireball rocket flame? I'd love to have a flame like that behind my rockets.

SmokeScreen, with a proper config.

• 10 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.