[1.1] RLA Stockalike 13.4 [25 Apr]

hoojiwana

5WgJTQX.png

Taking the TET as a makeshift rover out for a drive, powered by a couple of MMRTGs on the back. With SAS on for stability and trim set for a little forward motion this thing can sustain 3.0m/s indefinitely. On the subject of rovers, what are people looking for for rover bodies? What sort of shapes? Pure structural parts, probe cores specifically designed for use as rover bodies, or a mix of both? Something else?

BUT in that case stock SRBs fail miserably because they're all one-piece parts making you carry (sometimes little, sometimes a lot) but still dead weight if you opt to not fill them 100% because that's not the dV fitting your plans.

Try building around the SRB having all it's SolidFuel, rather than reducing what's in it to fit. You could stick on a little more mass to the payload for example, or change the stages below the SRB to be slightly smaller so the upper stage starts burning sooner.

how about a solid fuel/oxidizer hybrid rocket that only has two modes either all on full throttle or off? still powerful and still a challenge since its not cut out for fine adjustment but it seems less wasteful. in fact if you use the fire spitter fuel swap module you can have it switch between having enough oxidizer for itself or being all solid fuel and uses the leftover oxidizer from stock fuel tanks on space planes (since jets only sip liquid fuel there is always some oxidizer left over if you use LFO engines) so there. less wasteful and with extra uses and niches.

I've thought about hybrid SFO engines and I might make one if I can think up a way to make them have their own niche. When you disable throttle you kinda have to set the engine to not shutdown once started otherwise you get the taptaptap on-off-on-off workaround that dzikakulka mentioned. And when you set the engine not to shutdown, you have to disable throttle because you can just throttle the engine down when you don't want it going! Maybe a limited throttle might be the answer to that, say 50-100% throttle but disallowing shutdown completely.

there is also the possibility of a control delay like what you get with jet engines

Not planning to do that with any rocket engines.

Idea for a part: Stack mounted .5m goo science thing.

There are others around but I might do something similar.

Hey hoojiwana, were the PMs I sent you a couple weeks back helpful? Never heard back on those.

I read over them but still haven't gotten around to poking at the maths with my engines. Thankyou for writing it up, was very interesting seeing how someone else balances parts, though my focus is on balancing the engines alongside each other for use in Sandbox, rather than providing a progression through tech nodes that you've set up with Near Future. I need to do a finetuning pass for v12 so I expect I'll be looking very closely at the five electric engines I've got.

heh love the tiny rover

on the subject of rovers whatever makes fitting wheels to and landing it easier is awesome in my book. as things are building rovers is a pain especially with the stock wheels having such a small space where you can actually right click them and landing them is awkward as they usually stick out wider than your rocket or throw off the center of mass.

I've thought about hybrid SFO engines and I might make one if I can think up a way to make them have their own niche. When you disable throttle you kinda have to set the engine to not shutdown once started otherwise you get the taptaptap on-off-on-off workaround that dzikakulka mentioned. And when you set the engine not to shutdown, you have to disable throttle because you can just throttle the engine down when you don't want it going! Maybe a limited throttle might be the answer to that, say 50-100% throttle but disallowing shut down completely.
my thing is an engine that can't be shut down is either useless at the very least very awkward to use in orbit it is useful for economical launching and deorbiting, but not as the transfer stage people are imagining you are still forced to expend the same full amount of delta V so it doesn't seem to matter if you're stuck at full or can throttle down some all that means is you either go off course to the same degree either faster or slower (same goes for the clipper) or you get clever and spin in place which while amusingly silly doesn't make the engine any different niche wise than just using a throttle limited boostotron or a clipper. finally unlike going tap tap with RCS the throttle needs at least two buttons which hampers how fast and how finely you can do that really the full throttling engines I use give me a hard enough time trying to go tap tap with them for small adjustments imagine one that erupts with the full force of a launch booster every time I tap tap the throttle.

I read over them but still haven't gotten around to poking at the maths with my engines. Thankyou for writing it up, was very interesting seeing how someone else balances parts, though my focus is on balancing the engines alongside each other for use in Sandbox, rather than providing a progression through tech nodes that you've set up with Near Future. I need to do a finetuning pass for v12 so I expect I'll be looking very closely at the five electric engines I've got.

Yeah, no problem, I know it was a gigantic wall of text :D

I just hope that somewhere in there will be at least one thing that helps.

Image removed.

A mysterious two-tone cylinder! Very early texturing.

Yeah, no problem, I know it was a gigantic wall of text :D

I just hope that somewhere in there will be at least one thing that helps.

Oh there probably will be. At the very least seeing a look at the numbers will be interesting.

Edited by hoojiwana

There seems to be an error in RLA_mp_tiny part.cfg. It refers to a texture RLA_Stockalike/Parts/RCS/RCS/model000 but that folder doesn't exist (reorganized away?). Leaving the part looking pure white. I'm assuming that changing the path to RLA_Stockalike/Parts/RCS/mp_s_rcs/model000 should fix it.

Edward

Edit: Yup, that fixed it.

Edited by futrtrubl

I miss a real rover-body for manned rovers with recesses for the RoveMax Model M1 wheels, so it looks more like the Apollo rovers, with the hubcaps flush with the sides of the base.

What do you think?

I don't know about adding recesses for specific parts, that stops it being useful for anything except that part. I might make something like a flat frame that someone could build upon, but doesn't Roverdudes rover do that?

There seems to be an error in RLA_mp_tiny part.cfg. It refers to a texture RLA_Stockalike/Parts/RCS/RCS/model000 but that folder doesn't exist (reorganized away?). Leaving the part looking pure white. I'm assuming that changing the path to RLA_Stockalike/Parts/RCS/mp_s_rcs/model000 should fix it.

Edward

Edit: Yup, that fixed it.

I noticed a spike in people downloading old versions of the mod off of KerbalStuff since it came back up after downtime, please make sure your install is up-to-date (v11.2).

I miss a real rover-body for manned rovers with recesses for the RoveMax Model M1 wheels, so it looks more like the Apollo rovers, with the hubcaps flush with the sides of the base.

What do you think?

Not sure if you have seen this http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/90438-WIP-New-Wheels-multipurpose-parts-landinglegs-Beam-Axles

But he has a rover chassis in the pack that is actually pretty nifty.

I don't know about adding recesses for specific parts, that stops it being useful for anything except that part. I might make something like a flat frame that someone could build upon, but doesn't Roverdudes rover do that?

Yes, but I like your style more, and his mod features superfluous (scaled stock) parts, when combined with RLA. But I could check his one out.

• 2 weeks later...
So... Any progress?

Not recently. The Mysterious Cylinder I got to 90% done (saturation of the white needs fiddling with), but I stopped for a while. Don't worry it was for a very good reason, and things will start up again soon enough. Expect a small update once 0.25 lands whenever that is to bring parts in line with the update, most notably the part research costs. Some time after that v12 will come out with new parts and some balance tweaks, and around then the probe parts will be released too. Which comes first is entirely down to how many probe parts I decide to make and if they get finished first or not! I may also sneak out a little something extra that I'm not sure would go into Stockalike or not.

I've updated the OP to be a little more presentable, and hopefully more space efficient. My concern about it is with lower resolution screens, especially those below 1440 horizontal resolution, since I'm using set widths for the tables. Let me know what you guys think of it and if it is causing any issues for you.

Here's the first of two upper stage SRBs in Unity with the emissive running, the other will be 0.625m and probably in the CTCE colours. As part of getting this the correct saturation for the "white" I went back and tweaked the two Boostertrons to be whiter as well.

NwlXlow.jpg

mm lovely parts, especially the large mono engines, and the smaller parts. cant wait for different shape rover bodies :)
Still one of my favourite part packs. Small rocket parts are something hardly any other pack provides, and the new monopropellant engines are lovely too :)

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm glad you like the parts!

Image not available

A teeny tiny little high gain antenna, with a radio-transparent cover to protect it against the harsh environment of space. And it really is tiny, only 0.625m in size! In other news, the 11.3 update for Stockalike to bring it up-to-date with 0.25 will be changing all textures over to MBM, this is due to issues with the texture loader not playing nice with the TGA filetype I currently use. Because of this, when updating to 11.3 you will need to delete the Stockalike folder before installing the new version. I don't think there's any changes that might break craft files, but I can't account for every crazy thing people build!

That looks nice!

What do you think of this one? Shape is very close to that blueprinty image you linked me, the nozzle in particular is exactly the same.

tQz4SJD.jpg

Wow, you are back! :)

I have just one question, is the alternative model for the small nuclear engine still an option? I loved it...

The link to that is still available in the OP in the "Previous Versions" section as "RLA Stockalike Alternative Models 0.1" and should hopefully work just fine both standalone and with the current version of Stockalike. I've not tested it though so I may be wrong, if there is problems with it let me know.

Edited by hoojiwana

That's very awesome indeed! :)

Just needs it's CoM tweaked, given particles, stats balanced and then imported into the game, but apart from those it's good to go!

that high gain looks great, like the one on the latest Mars orbiter

The number on the dish isn't random.

Already gearing up for 0.25? Sweet!

This is one of my favorite part packs - KSP is strongly lacking in the 0.625m department, and RLA Stockalike has been my go-to for tiny-size (and RCS..and tiny-size RCS) things for a long time.

Yep, I had some tweaks I wanted to do and then news of the TGA memory problems reached me, and I can't think of a better time to switch texture filetype over than when everyone is updating the mod for 0.25 already. Glad you like the parts too! With stock cargobays I get the feeling people will be wanting smaller bits and bobs to squeeze into them, so Stockalike should work great for that.

11.3 is up for 0.25, including fixes for scaling on some parts and a total change of all textures to MBM. This means lower memory usage since TGA is bugged and hogs memory it shouldn't. Because of this you must delete the RLA Stockalike folder in GameData before updating to 11.3. As long as you don't start the game between deleting and installing you shouldn't notice any issues with broken or removed craft.

EDIT: Available from Kerbal Stuff as well.

Edited by hoojiwana

Thank you so much for updating this so nicely. I've used different iterations of some of the vintage parts from this for so long that they pretty much are stock for me. Looks buggy before I get them into my part list.

One thing I noticed though is that the model000.png for the tiny radial MP tank is all white, so that the part doesn't really have a texture. Figured that probably wasn't intentional and I hadn't seen anyone mention it yet. And using the old .tga texture results in a part that's gunmetal grey all over.

Make sure you're following the installation instructions properly in the readme, a simple drag and drop overwrite of the older versions is not correct.

The texture for the tiny monopropellant tank was replaced in 11.3, along with it's UV mapping, meaning the old TGA isn't compatible with the new model. That part should now be sharing the same texture sheet that the three longer stack monopropellant tanks use (in mp_sml_long), and the model000.png inside the mp_t_radial folder is a 1x1 dummy texture that needs to be there otherwise the game messes up the texture sharing. If you've started fiddling with any of these files (or the configs) then it's liable to break things, the texture compiler is a fickle beast that likes things set up a very specific way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.