[1.1] RLA Stockalike 13.4 [25 Apr]

hoojiwana

(Does Near-Future Propulsion use names?)

Indeed it does! All the way from 'Gyro-1' to 'Colossus'. :) Nertea spent a while hemming and hawwing over it.

What's he been up to now?

This is actually nothing new - just nothing previously released :P It came into existence during the 0.90 era.

It's an optional extra for Near Future Electrical, which skipped the 0.90 update, which is why you've never seen this module before. It adds a very simple decay mechanism to the stock RTG and NFE's own advanced RTG that makes them slowly decay to a minimum of 0.05% power output. Takes around 15 years I believe... though I might be confused and that might be the half-life, not the total decay time. I'm not a big RTG user and simply haven't encountered it yet in my saves.

EDIT: please don't make the ion's adhere to near future ballance I like RLA as the simpler "no nerf needed" option.

Worry not, such a thing is likely to remain the domain of optional extras (like it was in the past).

Edited by Streetwind

I teased it already but here's the new Spinnaker, compared to the old. Main difference is the gimbal set up; rather than the nozzle swivelling around as a separate disjointed piece, the nozzle has been firmly attached to the combustion chamber inside the funky housing, and the whole thing now rotates. The only stationary part is the "tankbutt" as NathanKell so fondly refers to them. Check it out:

LiNAscj.jpg

Also going by the number of changes, and how long it's taking me, the next update isn't just going to be a minor version. Because of that I'm also going to squeeze in a handful of other parts I happen to have lying around taking up hard drive space. On a completely unrelated matter, what sort of things do you guys tend to frequently pack with probe cores?

:D

EDIT: please don't make the ion's adhere to near future ballance I like RLA as the simpler "no nerf needed" option.

EDITEDIT: Oh the big MP engines are named after birds... >.>... I could have sworn one was named croissant... derp :P

Cool thanks! I like "Aphid" a lot. Have to say I'm not entirely sure where you got "Croissant" from. :huh: The waterbirds theme is a CTCE thing, it just happens that half of the CTCE parts are 2.5m monopropellant engines.

Indeed it does! All the way from 'Gyro-1' to 'Colossus'. :) Nertea spent a while hemming and hawwing over it.

Cool! Something that slots in around those will do just the job I think. So no "Noon" I'm afraid passinglurker, Nertea got dibs!

This is actually nothing new - just nothing previously released :P It came into existence during the 0.90 era.

It's an optional extra for Near Future Electrical, which skipped the 0.90 update, which is why you've never seen this module before. It adds a very simple decay mechanism to the stock RTG and NFE's own advanced RTG that makes them slowly decay to a minimum of 0.05% power output. Takes around 15 years I believe... though I might be confused and that might be the half-life, not the total decay time. I'm not a big RTG user and simply haven't encountered it yet in my saves.

Neat, exactly the sort of thing they needed to be made more interesting rather than just pure infinite-batteries.

Worry not, such a thing is likely to remain the domain of optional extras (like it was in the past).

Exactly this, though the electro-thermal engines will be getting a gentle bump from the nerfbat.

Edited by hoojiwana

What do you guys think of this for probe balance?

28qM94m.png

They're named: OKTO, HECS, QBE, TET and IKOTET.

SAS level 0 doesn't mean no SAS, it's just stability hold. Every probe on the chart has at least that.

The idea is that all the gold ones are better versions of the standard model; they all have highest level SAS and all do the same thing the regular version does, but a little bit better. To prevent them making the regular versions redundant they do also have more mass, the exact amounts aren't close to being nailed down so it's not on the chart. The different shapes also have differing masses, for example the gold OKTO has lower mass than the gold HECS due to it having less torque, and the two QBEs remain the lowest mass of those pictured. The gold QBE I'm not super sure what else I could do to differentiate it, maybe give it a little bit of torque or increase it's heat tolerance?

Just wanted to say, I'm looking forward to the update. Thanks for your work.

Thanks for the kind words!

Edited by hoojiwana

Not really. Stayputnik might be a bit clunky for it, with its design, but they can still be dumped in an orbit that's in-between your launch and end goal. Or, perhaps, as a control for a a stable enough aerodynamic re-entry probe.

Also, 0 torque and x-SAS can work for aerodynamic systems, or just sticking four small reaction nozzles on the nose.

As for G-QBE; increased battery life, maybe? It's light and tough, so I'm sure that all factors in the aforementioned re-entry somewhere.

Then again, probe batteries are almost worse than useless as far as their actual charges are concerned. Only seem to be handy if you have them as disabled emergency power, which usually doesn't have to be a large amount, either.

Edited by Nutter

One thing, why make probe cores without SAS or reaction wheels? Such things are basically useless.

I should've added this to the chart originally, SAS level 0 is basic stability assist, so every single probe on the chart has at least that. It's exactly the same as the pilot levels. The only one that doesn't have any SAS at all is the stock Stayputnik since it is the first probe you get. As for reaction wheels, there are extra parts available to add that if you need it but want to use a torque-less probe.

Not really. Stayputnik might be a bit clunky for it, with its design, but they can still be dumped in an orbit that's in-between your launch and end goal. Or, perhaps, as a control for a a stable enough aerodynamic re-entry probe.

As for G-QBE; increased battery life, maybe?

Possibly! The stock one does have the lowest battery capacity.

Edited by hoojiwana

Could you get a Pre-Release out for those of us who aren't afraid to have our craft designs break when you change something, so we can see your efforts in action and provide real play-testing feedback on your balance?

You probably should release it in a separate thread under "developers" downloadable from GitHub or DropBox and not release it to CKAN, KerbalStuff, or Curses, so you don't get players who don't read the warning that it is under rapid development, isn't fully balanced, and changes could break their craft designs, or even their save files.

Actually the only things aren't compatible with 1.0.4 is the old node system (Now it uses node direction), the fx is a bit bugged (Keeps playing also if you run out of fuel), and maybe some tweakening for the new thermodynamics and aerodynamic systems. Yeah, a prerelease fixing the directional nodes and the fx will be great for the time being :wink:

I've been fiddling around with the mod in order to try and bring it up to date for my 1.0.4 install, and solved the node problem and tweaked the thermal and aerodynamic values to be the same or near their nearest stock counterparts, but the solution to this continual FX bug that Overlocker mentioned two posts above continues to elude me. Can anyone more informed than I weigh in with any ideas?

Well the RLA Stockalike FX folder archives mean that it uses stock KSP particle system, so no Smokescreen; but since 1.0 have been changed so maybe there's some tutorial about new stock fx particle modding around. That about all that I can help with this wonderful stockalike mod :rolleyes:

It's been a long time since I've commented about this. I looked at the chart and I think that you should add some torque to the QBEs - I don't care if they're heavier, I need Reaction wheels (very low torque ones) for the QBEs.

CO7UqJE.jpg

Basic (very basic) blocked out colours for the new LV-Nc.

I'm still looking for ideas for flavour text names for a number of engines, see this post for more info.

Looking exceptional hooj, definitely a great thought to vary their properties to create a niche and expand upon the stock selection.

I look forward to the update!

That was the whole idea! Well, originally they were just going to be aesthetic parts but since I wasn't actively working on the mysterious "Probe Parts" pack I started last September, I decided to roll the parts I can find niches for into Stockalike. Better than having them sat around on my harddrive being useless.

Would you consider making some small radial engines with decent thrust cant seem to find any decent looking radial engines to hang of my alcor pod

The thing with radial engines is they're only ever able to be used radially. The only radial engines currently in Stockalike are all variants of in-line engines, and there are other parts that allow you to make stacks on the sides of whatever you like already. So it ends up being either extremely niche engines, or part bloat, or both.

This is an awesome mod!!! If this mod wasn't for RSS or even the Stock KSP I would make it myself!
With one set of exceptions I really like the Balance. Maybe a 50 unit bump to the "more resilient" probes (1250 instead of 1200.)

Possibly, though 50 degrees isn't much. With all the heat settings available though I could increase the thermal mass and emissivity as well, just to make sure they're heat-resistant.

Could you get a Pre-Release out for those of us who aren't afraid to have our craft designs break when you change something, so we can see your efforts in action and provide real play-testing feedback on your balance?

You probably should release it in a separate thread under "developers" downloadable from GitHub or DropBox and not release it to CKAN, KerbalStuff, or Curses, so you don't get players who don't read the warning that it is under rapid development, isn't fully balanced, and changes could break their craft designs, or even their save files.

Actually the only things aren't compatible with 1.0.4 is the old node system (Now it uses node direction), the fx is a bit bugged (Keeps playing also if you run out of fuel), and maybe some tweakening for the new thermodynamics and aerodynamic systems. Yeah, a prerelease fixing the directional nodes and the fx will be great for the time being :wink:

I don't even have a "dev build" yet, so I can't! I may do a pre-release once I've got everything Unity-exported, config'd and folder'd though.

I hope this mod will get an update soon. The RCS nozzles are invaluable, and this is one of the few mods that add any unique types. The game really needs more rcs options, like some for the 45degree configuration.

It's on the way. Any other RCS blocks you'd like? Keep in mind it's still not possible to include multi-nozzle bipropellant RCS without a plugin.

I've been fiddling around with the mod in order to try and bring it up to date for my 1.0.4 install, and solved the node problem and tweaked the thermal and aerodynamic values to be the same or near their nearest stock counterparts, but the solution to this continual FX bug that Overlocker mentioned two posts above continues to elude me. Can anyone more informed than I weigh in with any ideas?

In the engine configs, in ModuleEnginesFX, change "directThrottleEffectName" to "powerEffectName" ensuring the actual name being called isn't changed.

It's been a long time since I've commented about this. I looked at the chart and I think that you should add some torque to the QBEs - I don't care if they're heavier, I need Reaction wheels (very low torque ones) for the QBEs.

I won't be changing the stock QBE but the gold QBE might get a weak reaction wheel.

I like the IKOTETS, the various n-gon form factors always made me wish for a simple cylinder. Can't wait to use these, I think you've done a good job giving them some variety.

I saw what you originally posted! :sticktongue: If you've any other ideas for probes throw them at me.

Also, I forgot to say this with my rant on QBE torque:

Can you add some low torque for the TET probe core (I have wanted to build a KSP version of ExoPlanetSat for a very long time now)?

Also, QBE batteries and fuel tanks?

Names, hmm, here goes.

•High-efficiency Ion

Marathon

•Bi-Modal Resistojet

Thrustomax

•Bi-Modal Arcjet

Stratomax

•Micro LFO engine

Gnat

•0.625m aerospike

Mike

•LV-Nc

Reactomax

•Micro Monopropellant engine x2

Oxomax-#

•0.625m Monopropellant engine x2

Oxomax-#

•1.25m Monopropellant engine

Oxomax-#

It wont hurt my feelings if you don't use any of them :) lol

PS: Awesome mod, cant wait for the update. Thanks. The RCS nozzles already in this, have covered all my needs for some time. I use nearly every part in this mod at some point, for something. They all are parts that are otherwise missing from the game, and yet are much needed. So im good unless they don't work. :wink: This part of the community appreciates it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.