[1.1] RLA Stockalike 13.4 [25 Apr]

hoojiwana

Basic (very basic) blocked out colours for the new LV-Nc.

I saw what you originally posted! :sticktongue: If you've any other ideas for probes throw them at me.

AHAH, yeah my eyes switched it with the regular TET's stats on the chart, and I was super bummed because here was the probe core I'd always wanted, but it was setup like a rover body; glanced at the chart afterward and saw that IKOTET was actually one of the most capable. Those stats are perfect for the TET though, because it would make a very good rover body.

Also, your 'basic color blocking' looks way better than my finished texturing!

If you are looking for additional probe ideas, I've thought about a radial probe, just to provide basic vessel control without any structural effect. Useful during eva, when needing a different control orientation, or on vessels of a larger diameter than existing inline units. Speaking of which, I think we're missing a 3.75m RGU, but your focus is on the smaller parts here so I might tackle that one.

Edited by Starbuckminsterfullerton

YNd5szr.jpg

When the stock Ant is just too darned heavy for your probes the LV-0 will be there for use! It's also going to have a surface attach setting on it's top node, so you can cluster it or stick it wherever. Experimenting for future ideas. :sealed:

I also knocked up some alternative models that might replace the current MPR-1/MPR-1R models, using their own unique texture (meaning higher quality) and allowing for texture space to be recovered on the RCS sheet. It is a lot smaller than the current model since it doesn't have the bulky linear RCS port housing thing around it, and to better fit with the LV-0 since they're all 1 thrust. What do you think? Stick with the current, go with the new, or make a better new?

Also, I forgot to say this with my rant on QBE torque:

Can you add some low torque for the TET probe core (I have wanted to build a KSP version of ExoPlanetSat for a very long time now)?

Also, QBE batteries and fuel tanks?

Possibly. What do you mean by QBE batteries and fuel tanks? Those parts with the same cross-section as the QBE?

Names, hmm, here goes.

It wont hurt my feelings if you don't use any of them :) lol.

I may not use any names directly but you gave me some brilliant inspiration for what to theme the STEADLER monoprop engines around! And thanks for the kind words, means a lot.

Thanks for the help with the temporary fix for the FX hooj, that'll keep me going until you push out the update, is progress going swimmingly? Your work is massively appreciated as always!

No problem! And things are going great, though I'm getting to that point where I have to stop myself from doing things otherwise the update will never happen. :D

If you are looking for additional probe ideas, I've thought about a radial probe, just to provide basic vessel control without any structural effect. Useful during eva, when needing a different control orientation, or on vessels of a larger diameter than existing inline units. Speaking of which, I think we're missing a 3.75m RGU, but your focus is on the smaller parts here so I might tackle that one.

Back when I started "Probe Parts", I did have an idea for a torque-less radial probe that was essentially just a SAS control box you could slap onto whatever, like a rover or manned whatever as a backup system. Same with the 3.75m probe, and at that size there's plenty of room to add things like extra torque or batteries, especially as there isn't a dedicated 3.75m part for either of those two as well. Only problem is mass and joint strength, it would need to be a heavy part to stop things wobbling either side of it.

Also, I forgot to say this with my rant on QBE torque:

Can you add some low torque for the TET probe core (I have wanted to build a KSP version of ExoPlanetSat for a very long time now)?

Also, QBE batteries and fuel tanks?

Hm, it sounds more like you are looking for the BoxSat mod?

New models look great, I always love when people include a radial version of an engine/surface attach point.

Re probe cores you read my mind on torqueless sas box, and good points about the 3 meter. I kinda wish there was something like that in every size, after you stack a sas wheel and a battery on the existing ones the rocket becomes somewhat more... flexible. It's like I'm mounting the payload on a stack of pancakes.

oVijiYu.jpg

Here's the diffuse with details and such added, next to the nearly two years old original. As you can see, much less "wasted" space in the 0.625m diameter. There is also an extra pipe on the opposite side that takes excess propellant and uses it to power the pump. Still no gimbal mechanism since it never had one to begin with, though Porkjets KANDL does have one so if you're desperate for a higher ISP with gimbal that option is available. And yes the LV-Nc is being balanced with that part in mind.

The consensus seems to be for the new versions of the MPR-1, so I'll whip up the remaining textures for that and free up the space on the RCS texture. Maybe sneak something new on there too. :P

I'm also still looking for ideas for rocket names!

Wow, there's a showcase in practice and improvement. What are you planning to sneak into the RCS textures? :P

As for rocket names, for the Micro LFO engine, you can't get much smaller than an ant. :sticktongue: Something like Aphid? Fruitfly? I know Flea's already taken by the new stock SRB. For the aerospike: Drifter? Schooner? Skiff? All old nautical terms for small vessels.

And didn't you already have a kind of theme going for your MP engines, one based off birds? I remember seeing a Cormorant knocking around.

I can't wait for this mod to be updated! Seriously, this is like the first mod I install for any of my career-mode games.

My (admittedly bad) suggestions for the rocket names are as follows:

Ionic Symphonic Protonic Electronics (Does Near-Future Propulsion use names?)

• High-efficiency Ion "Fuel Saver"
  • Bi-Modal Resistojet "Blowtorch"
  • Bi-Modal Arcjet "Almost-Ion"

Jeb's Junkyard

• Micro LFO engine (1kn, smaller than the Ant) "Candle"

Rockomax (Naval theme)

• 0.625m aerospike "Midshipman"

Roemy-Lemdum Atomics

• LV-Nc "Nuclear Ant"

And that was where my creativity ran out and the headache started.:)

Back in February I made this thing (to the right of the QBE) to test how the reaction wheel module works. The idea was to have a radial reaction wheel (based on Keplers) that only worked on one axis and you could place them how you liked to get torque in various axis. Unfortunately the reaction wheel module applies torque based on the entire vessels axes rather than the parts axes. If I made it a regular radial reaction wheel would you guys and gals use it? Given it's small size it would have a fairly low torque so may not be that useful.

J4ura7d.jpg

What are you planning to sneak into the RCS textures? :P

At first just a micro linear RCS thruster to go along with the existing two micro RCS blocks. Don't want to spend any more time on even more new parts that would delay the release any more than it already is.

As for rocket names, for the Micro LFO engine, you can't get much smaller than an ant. :sticktongue: Something like Aphid? Fruitfly? I know Flea's already taken by the new stock SRB. For the aerospike: Drifter? Schooner? Skiff? All old nautical terms for small vessels.

Aphid seems a popular name for the LV-0 so it'll probably be that. Thanks for the other suggestions!

And didn't you already have a kind of theme going for your MP engines, one based off birds? I remember seeing a Cormorant knocking around.

Waterbirds is the general theme for CTCE engines, not specifically for monopropellant engines.

I can't wait for this mod to be updated! Seriously, this is like the first mod I install for any of my career-mode games.

My (admittedly bad) suggestions for the rocket names are as follows:

And that was where my creativity ran out and the headache started.:)

Cheers for the suggestions!

Ion is greek, roughly for "going" (present participle of "to go"), maybe you could derive names from that context.

I'll have a poke about things related to electrical resistance and arcing and stuff, might be able to find some cool sounding things in there. Thanks a lot for the very interesting idea.

This is definitely one of my must have part mods. Looking forward to the update :D

Honestly, so am I. Can't wait to see the cool rocket and probe designs all you people will come up with!

Hooj, is there any chance you can add a config for the RTGs that works in tandem with Nertea's DecayingRTG patch from Near Future Electrical in the release?

Not right at release but maybe after. I want to make an MM config to "natively" add fuel switching to the LFO tanks (for use with the LV-Nc) and Smokescreen settings for the particle FX, so I could put it in there. Given there was an old MM config to change the electrical engines to match Near Future Propulsion balance it may be better suited to go with that if a new config shows up.

I thought of something in the RCS department that could be useful to some. (me hehe) Xenon fueled micro RCS jets.

There was another mod that had a set of them, but its long dead and disappeared with spaceport. For small xenon powered probes, this is something that's long been needed. Adding a set of those would be great. If its not too late. :D

The idea was to have a radial reaction wheel (based on Keplers) that only worked on one axis and you could place them how you liked to get torque in various axis. Unfortunately the reaction wheel module applies torque based on the entire vessels axes rather than the parts axes.

That's a shame, would have been cool for axis-based reaction wheels. As a radial part, not much use just adds offset weight

Back in February I made this thing (to the right of the QBE) to test how the reaction wheel module works. The idea was to have a radial reaction wheel (based on Keplers) that only worked on one axis and you could place them how you liked to get torque in various axis. Unfortunately the reaction wheel module applies torque based on the entire vessels axes rather than the parts axes. If I made it a regular radial reaction wheel would you guys and gals use it? Given it's small size it would have a fairly low torque so may not be that useful.

I would absolutely have use for a small radial reaction wheel with maybe 0.5 kN torque. You know I like building with tiny parts, and for many of my sats, even the 5 kN small inline reaction wheel from stock KSP is overkill. A pair of 0.5 kN modules would give me 20% of that torque, which seems ideal.

Given there was an old MM config to change the electrical engines to match Near Future Propulsion balance it may be better suited to go with that if a new config shows up.

If you would just finish up your darn mod you would already have such a config... :P

http://i.imgur.com/J4ura7d.jpg

I don't know how many times I have tried to launch a very small probe (along the lines of the Hyugens) only to be stopped by the lack of reaction wheels in the extremely small probe cores, and those I launched without proper reaction wheels tended to re-enter parachute-first. I, for one, would make extensive use of a small radial reaction wheel!

I don't know how many times I have tried to launch a very small probe (along the lines of the Hyugens) only to be stopped by the lack of reaction wheels in the extremely small probe cores, and those I launched without proper reaction wheels tended to re-enter parachute-first. I, for one, would make extensive use of a small radial reaction wheel!

Hm, strange, I have a radially attachable reaction wheel available (still pretty strong with 1kN torque). Is it added by VenStockRevamp? How can anyone play without VenStockRevamp for non RSS?

I like the SETIctt probe cores with their 0.3 kN torque inbuilt, seems to be enough for sats and gives good fine control. And for the launch stages, you can add a stack reaction wheel which falls off with the boosters. Cant wait for RLA engines again, I m really lacking balanced variety.

Make the small reaction wheel show up earlier in the tech tree than the larger wheel-in-a-can.

uNznCdg.jpg

Toying about with a potential particle FX for the LV-Nc. Pictured are the two existing particle textures that fit the best, "smoke particle" is used for monopropellant engines and "xenonparticle" is (surprisingly) used for the Xenon modes on the arc/resistojets. Which do you all think looks better? Is the colour gradient okay? The emissive is also at 100% so the only time it would look like that in game is exactly as the engine explodes to overheating. Also doesn't include the rim shading effect KSP now puts on hot parts, so it won't look quite the same in-game.

I thought of something in the RCS department that could be useful to some. (me hehe) Xenon fueled micro RCS jets.

There was another mod that had a set of them, but its long dead and disappeared with spaceport. For small xenon powered probes, this is something that's long been needed. Adding a set of those would be great. If its not too late. :D

I really really wish I could do that, since Xenon+EC resistojet RCS was one of the first parts I ever tried to make. Unfortunately bi-propellant RCS only works for linear ports for whatever reason in the stock game. To get bipropellant RCS blocks working properly requires a plugin to work.

That's a shame, would have been cool for axis-based reaction wheels. As a radial part, not much use just adds offset weight
Now that you're adding some torqueless cores I would! though not all situations would need it

Also, I use reaction wheels to right flipped rovers, and this might be good for small ones.

I would absolutely have use for a small radial reaction wheel with maybe 0.5 kN torque. You know I like building with tiny parts, and for many of my sats, even the 5 kN small inline reaction wheel from stock KSP is overkill. A pair of 0.5 kN modules would give me 20% of that torque, which seems ideal.
Hm, strange, I have a radially attachable reaction wheel available (still pretty strong with 1kN torque). Is it added by VenStockRevamp? How can anyone play without VenStockRevamp for non RSS?

I like the SETIctt probe cores with their 0.3 kN torque inbuilt, seems to be enough for sats and gives good fine control.

Seems mostly to be leaning towards a yes on adding the little wheel. It'll be easy enough to delete the parts folder for those who don't want/need it.

Make the small reaction wheel show up earlier in the tech tree than the larger wheel-in-a-can.

That was the plan!

If you would just finish up your darn mod you would already have such a config... :P
Man, You're made those beautiful parts but when did You plan to let them loose in to the world?

I know I know, this update has probably been my slowest yet. I'll knock together a dev version for you all to test out very soon.

Edited by hoojiwana
:^)

DXhVXxR.png

More Important: This is incompatible with any and all previous versions of RLA Stockalike and will break saves.

Less Important: Folder changes mean you must delete any previous installs, you will need to delete PartDatabase.cfg in your KSP directory as well. If you didn't have any installs on KSP 1.0.x then ignore this.

What needs testing:

Everything really, but special attention should be paid to:

• SRB balance
  • Probe core balance
  • Electric engine balance
  • 0.625m NTR balance
  • RCS heating

• Removed 0.625m LFO fuel tanks (temporarily)
  • Removed 0.625m LFO engines (temporarily)
  • Revamped 0.625m nuclear engine
  • Revamped <0.625m Monopropellent engines
  • Added 7 new 0.625m probe cores

• Changed many folder names
  • Moved a number of part configs and files to reduce folder clutter
  • Completely changed all part config names (internally and externally)
  • Converted a number of texture files to DDS, but not all of them
  • Fixed attachment nodes for KSP 1.0 unidirectional attachment
  • Added the various heat-related entries to all configs

• Rebalanced engines to take into account KSP 1.0.x aero and ISP fixes
  • Rebalanced Monopropellant fuel tanks
  • Updated all prices to match stock (hopefully)

• Tweaked flavour names of some parts
  • Updated Agency config

• Tweaked RCS texture

• Not all textures converted to DDS
  • Tech tree placements not updated
  • No engine has ModuleSurfaceFX added
  • Decoupler drag is incorrect
  • 0.625m LFO fuel tanks not included
  • 0.625m LFO engines not included
  • 0.625m nuclear engine FX is incorrect
  • Some descriptions missing

Edited by hoojiwana

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.