[1.1] RLA Stockalike 13.4 [25 Apr]

hoojiwana

RemoteTech requires a MM patch applied to the probe cores. Let me quickly make you one...

@PART[RLA_small_probe_QBE_gold,RLA_small_probe_24sides,RLA_small_probe_24sides_gold,RLA_small_probe_8sides_gold,RLA_small_probe_6sides_gold,RLA_small_probe_4sides,RLA_small_probe_4sides_gold]:AFTER[RLA_Stockalike]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]
{
%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {}

%MODULE[ModuleRTAntennaPassive] {
%TechRequired = unmannedTech
%OmniRange = 3000

%TRANSMITTER {
%PacketInterval = 0.3
%PacketSize = 2
%PacketResourceCost = 15.0
}
}
}

Geez hoojiwana, your part names are longer than longcat :P

Thanks for that man, but I am kinda confused on what to do with this code? Do I just paste it into Module Manager?

Thanks for that man, but I am kinda confused on what to do with this code? Do I just paste it into Module Manager?

Make an empty textfile, for example with notepad (I use Windows, so I don't know how you'd do it on other OSes, sorry). Paste the code into it. Rename the file extension from .txt into .cfg, and then move the file into your gamedata folder. It doesn't matter where in gamedata - can be directly in it or in any subfolder you want. I like to make myself a "custom tweaks" subfolder because I generally spend more time tweaking the game than playing it :P

Hi. I've always loved this mod and thanks for updating! Everything looks great, as always (though I do prefer the LV-T5 to the new little wart-looking engine).

Anyway, I've got a question regarding the Small Arcjet engine (ET-3226 "Umbra"). The config says that it unlocks with "largeElectrics", but didn't they get rid of the Large Electrics tech node? If they didn't and it's still there, then I must be going blind because I sure can't find it anywhere.

Sorry if this has been brought up before but I read back a few pages and didn't find anything about it. Figured if someone had noticed, it would have been mentioned before the official update. Thanks for the great mod!

Thanks again for the kind words! I've been planning out a few ideas for what to do next, trying to sort out what is feasible and what is just plain crazy. Seeing the comments here and elsewhere about older rocket parts starting to show their age, especially compared to Porkjets fantastic new and updated aircraft parts, I've been thinking about doing some alternate models and textures for some stock parts. I don't have anything to show on that front just yet, merely been looking through various early rockets for inspiration, and picking what might be good for various parts.

I have modelled and done some very early texturing on a potential 2.5m aerospike that might see some use somewhere, no idea what the stats might be. Check it out:

mFEzyEb.jpg

Geez hoojiwana, your part names are longer than longcat :P

I wanted to make them more easily readable, both for myself when fiddling with things, and for users since KSP still shows the config names in-game on the mission report screen (F3 in flight) when exploding something.

Anyway, I've got a question regarding the Small Arcjet engine (ET-3226 "Umbra"). The config says that it unlocks with "largeElectrics", but didn't they get rid of the Large Electrics tech node? If they didn't and it's still there, then I must be going blind because I sure can't find it anywhere.

Sorry if this has been brought up before but I read back a few pages and didn't find anything about it. Figured if someone had noticed, it would have been mentioned before the official update. Thanks for the great mod!

"largeElectrics" is the config name for the High-Power Electrics node way down on the bottom of the tech tree. The Umbra is right there with the Eclipse, MP fuel cell and medium solar panel.

This mod is always great for aero spikes and anything that runs off monoprop :Damong other things of course

If you go with alternate models/textures for stock parts please don't go the ven route and try to automatically overwrite the old stock parts the mass mm config arrangement always seemed buggy and unwieldy to me I'd rather be able to just swap files out manually, also please save ram instead of vens "better looking parts in the same footprint" approach. Also please keep the shiny look for the 2.5m tanks I'm also a fan of the turbonisu pack and its round fuelcap part it makes everything very flash gordon :D

If you'd rather keep filling squads holes instead any of the following would be nice

• some basic fin sized controllable winglets (in the early game there is next to no good way to control a useful sized rocket, and mini shuttles could use some parts like them for reentry too)
  • 0.625m sized fairing base (they don't give you fairings of any sort soon enough)
  • 0.625m service or cargo bay (also a good way for stuffing little radios, batteries, and experiments without drag pulling you around)
  • 1.875m parts in general (I don't think there are any active 1.875m mods atm)
  • inline goo container (because squad didn't make the new shrunk one physics less so I still can't pack only one :( )
  • "reaction wheels" that run off monoprop? (lighter, cheaper, and lower tech than electric reaction wheels and "translation capable" rcs thrusters, but they use monoprop still it'd be useful for early game where control options are limited and for adding cheaper control to disposable stages)
  • tiny isru? (smaller refinery that only makes monoprop? of course there'd be no scanners if it was put in the tree too early... is wildcatting an option or is the game coded against that?)
  • EDIT: Mass driver? (large electric propulsion that uses ore as the propellant)

Edited by passinglurker

This mod is always great for aero spikes and anything that runs off monoprop :Damong other things of course

If you go with alternate models/textures for stock parts please don't go the ven route and try to automatically overwrite the old stock parts the mass mm config arrangement always seemed buggy and unwieldy to me I'd rather be able to just swap files out manually, also please save ram instead of vens "better looking parts in the same footprint" approach. Also please keep the shiny look for the 2.5m tanks I'm also a fan of the turbonisu pack and its round fuelcap part it makes everything very flash gordon :D

If you'd rather keep filling squads holes instead any of the following would be nice

• some basic fin sized controllable winglets (in the early game there is next to no good way to control a useful sized rocket, and mini shuttles could use some parts like them for reentry too)
  • 0.625m sized fairing base (they don't give you fairings of any sort soon enough)
  • 0.625m service or cargo bay (also a good way for stuffing little radios, batteries, and experiments without drag pulling you around)
  • inline goo container (because squad didn't make the new shrunk one physics less so I still can't pack only one :( )
  • "reaction wheels" that run off monoprop? (lighter, cheaper, and lower tech than electric reaction wheels and "translation capable" rcs thrusters, but they use monoprop still it'd be useful for early game where control options are limited and for adding cheaper control to disposable stages)
  • tiny isru? (smaller refinery that only makes monoprop? of course there'd be no scanners if it was put in the tree too early... is wildcatting an option or is the game coded against that?)
  • EDIT: Mass driver? (large electric propulsion that uses ore as the propellant)

HGR has a 1.875m pack.

While you can use tweakscale for most of that, there are some exceptions:

1.875m engines would be nice (on top of the HGR ones).

Especially when you use the 2.5m to multiple 1.25m adapters and tweakscale them to 3.75m base (so 1.25m becomes 1.875m), so the engines are useful even if 1.875m tanks are not used.

Inline Goo: Provided by a SXT MiniPack

Monoprop reaction wheel: That is a great idea, especially when the saturatable reaction wheel mod is used, with more sane torque values.

It could be one model which is rescaled for the different sizes. Eg a 3.75m model (for texture quality), but the part rescales it to 1.25m or so (for the initial unlock). Then tweakscale can be used for all sizes.

I propose a simple ring model with 4, 8 or 12 thrusters especially designed to keep initial stages in line, so only 2 dimensions of thrust are needed, instead of 3.

The 4 thruster (maybe multiple nozzles per "thruster") config in red (unable to spin the rocket), the 8 thruster version in blue and the 12 combines them:

Qw4ADdC.png

Due to the shape, the nozzles can be completely hidden within the diameter, nothing to "stick out". The part would be very flat but contain some monoprop, comparable to a normal monoprop tank of that volume.

I believe you are misunderstanding something about the mono prop reaction wheels. In game terms they are not thrusters(though they may be fluffed and described as such) config wise they would use module reaction wheel same as the electric ones but they would be configured to consume mono prop they would essentially be like the mercury pod which had rcs thrusters but they could only be used for rotation not propulsion or translation.

As for the rest I don't use tweak scale between the bugs and frequent changing of devs I don't find it a reliable choice not to mention all the custom configuring I would have to do to set it up to fill squads holes in early career.

As for the goo pod sxt's is rather bulky in comparison now that squad shrunk the radial one you could get away with one half the height now.

I believe you are misunderstanding something about the mono prop reaction wheels. In game terms they are not thrusters(though they may be fluffed and described as such) config wise they would use module reaction wheel same as the electric ones but they would be configured to consume mono prop they would essentially be like the mercury pod which had rcs thrusters but they could only be used for rotation not propulsion or translation.

As for the rest I don't use tweak scale between the bugs and frequent changing of devs I don't find it a reliable choice not to mention all the custom configuring I would have to do to set it up to fill squads holes in early career.

As for the goo pod sxt's is rather bulky in comparison now that squad shrunk the radial one you could get away with one half the height now.

Ah, ok.

Well, then my idea is something like a specialized rcs component. Which should improve handling of eg launch stages or massive bulky vessels without significant part cound increase (except maybe for more monoprop storage) or drag.

For the squad early career holes, have you considered another progression system? Also VenStockRevamp fills some of those holes.

Like another tech tree (eg OpenTree or Engineering or one of the others), contracts (from the ContractConfigurator thread) or combined systems like BTSM, RealismOverhaul or SETI (I m working on the latter one, link is in my signature, take a look at the CKAN mod pack)?

About the SXT MiniGoo, keep in mind that the radial one does not need much structural integrity compared to the inline one. For SETI I made the stock radial one larger anyway (together with some other changes) and reused the model for a radial materials bay part (while shrinking the stack materials bay to 0.625m diameter).

I'm not looking at a total conversion they tend to only play well with a limited set of mods because of all the custom configuring involved call me lazy but it's simpler just to add more parts till squad gets their act together. Don't get me wrong I've played and liked btsm but I to be able to use the mods I want without having to rewrite them all myself.

As for mono prop "reaction wheels" (let's call then atitude control systems or ACS) I suggested them as reaction wheels because the would be easier to model, configure, and carve out a unique niche for than in line rcs thrusters.

As for the goo pod. Eh it's a weak excuse this is a game and we launch things that flat like batteries and reaction wheels all the time. Its up to hooj if he wants to take up the idea.

Busy thread!

To start it'll just be some parts that happen to be very much like the stock parts but as a part pack. Depending on how deep down the rabbit hole things go, it may very well end up being done like Vens using MM configs and AutoPruner. I have to actually make some parts before we get to that point though. :P The order I'm going to do things in will vaguely follow the tech tree, so starting with the Mk1 Pod and the Flea, going through 1.25m parts etc. The whole idea is to make higher quality art assets whilst simultaneously being equal to or (preferably) lower memory usage. So texture sharing where appropriate (fuel tanks mainly), much fewer normal maps, engine fairing textures being on the same sheet as the regular texture, things like that.

For the revamp it'll just be redone assets, nothing new. 1.875m parts if I ever did them would be in their own pack since that's not a default size. All those other ideas are great for potential future RLA updates though, thanks!

The whole idea is to make higher quality art assets whilst simultaneously being equal to or (preferably) lower memory usage. So texture sharing where appropriate (fuel tanks mainly), much fewer normal maps, engine fairing textures being on the same sheet as the regular texture, things like that.

Well there is plenty of room for that. Just take a look at the Squad parts folder. It's full of 512 and 1k textures with minimal detail, full size emissive textures, nearly identical fuel tank textures, and so, so many non-square textures. :huh:

Anyway, I'm looking forward to what you come up with.

Edited by DMagic

Well there is plenty of room for that. Just take a look at the Squad parts folder. It's full of 512 and 1k textures with minimal detail, full size emissive textures, nearly identical fuel tank textures, and so, so many non-square textures. :huh:

Anyway, I'm looking forward to what you come up with.

There's certainly lots of redundancy in the folder, especially since much of it was made before texture sharing was possible. Anyway, if you want to check out this new project, I've made a new thread specifically for it over here in Add-on Development. For the moment it's just an art test on the Mk1 Pod, but soon to be more!

• 2 weeks later...

It's absolutely not valid anymore :P In fact, your engines will stop working if you attempt to use it. KSP may even crash on startup, since it references a plugin module that no longer exists.

However, the new stats aren't that far off. The two electric monoprop engines are probably fine as they are, while the ion engine should be in a reasonable ballpark if you knock its thrust down to, let's say, 0.8 or 0.9 kN and take a thousand off the Isp. I might run a proper analysis on it when I'm not so busy in the evenings anymore, but that quickfix should make sure it doesn't overshadow the Dawn under NF stats. The basic question you should be asking yourself is whether or not you would always prefer one over the other, and adjust until that's no longer the case.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.