[1.1] RLA Stockalike 13.4 [25 Apr]

hoojiwana

The optional hydrogen NTRs patch for NFP is currently not recommended for usage. You'll end up building ships with less dV than chemical engine setups due to tank dry mass differences.

Oh...

*me after parking space-assembled (7 parts) nuclear tug in LKO just back from successful mission to Minmus.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, RLA_s_nerva was renamed to RLA_small_ntr, otherwise NFP patch works as it were.

In which direction should this patch be tweaked? I mean, LH2 tanks are much less dense than LF, that's expected, but ISP is related to mass anyway.

A direct fix is increasing Isp. Guesstimating you'll need at least 50% higher values as a ballpark figure, maybe more. I can't give you details as I haven't investigated in that direction - such a change would be unacceptable for distribution. So you'll have to work it out yourself.

This isn't really the thread for Near Future issues though, please focus on RLA :P

In which direction should this patch be tweaked? I mean, LH2 tanks are much less dense than LF, that's expected, but ISP is related to mass anyway.

ISP is directly related to exhaust velocity which is related to temperature and molecular weight of the exhaust. Good ISP comes from high temperature and light molecular weight -- at a given temperature, lighter molecules wind up with more momentum.

To be realistic, ISP of non-LH2 NTRs should be significantly lower - closer to chemical engines, which operate at similar temperatures, and the ISP of solid-core NTR's throwing LH2 should be slightly higher (900s rather than 800s).

More exotic NTRs (liquid or gas core) can have higher ISP since their operating temperature is higher.

And the dry mass of LH2 tanks should be lower, but that then starts to play havoc with the various anti-realistic tweaks that make KSP more approachable and interesting (small planet so it doesn't take forever to get into orbit, combined with a hyperdense planet so surface gravity is earth normal and with heavy tanks & engines so SSTO's aren't too easy).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Can you clean up the textures a bit so there aren't scratches or wear on them, maybe as an additional download so it fits in-line with Ven's? I love both of these but the monoprop tanks you have are out-of-place with Ven's.

This is RLA Stockalike, not RLA Ven'salike. If you want monoprop tanks that look like Ven's, then try KW Rocketry or something else that fits its style better, not something that's explicitly stated as following the stock parts' appearance as closely as possible.

Besides, cleaning up the textures to fit your liking is a relatively trivial task anyway, so you should do it yourself if you really want them that much, even more so as you seem to be the only one wanting them.

Has this been tested yet with 1.0.5?

I can't imagine anything breaking. May be some heat balance issues due to the new system, but nothing game-breaking.

I'm pretty sure everything works as it should. The only things really different is the part test module (which seems to be backwards compatible), the core heat for the RTG (the mini RTG is small enough this doesn't really matter) and the way engine emissives (heat glow) works. There's some difficulty with the emissive animations I'm having that need to be sorted out before I can do an update, but its not a desperately needed one.

I'm pretty sure everything works as it should. The only things really different is the part test module (which seems to be backwards compatible), the core heat for the RTG (the mini RTG is small enough this doesn't really matter) and the way engine emissives (heat glow) works. There's some difficulty with the emissive animations I'm having that need to be sorted out before I can do an update, but its not a desperately needed one.

Sounds good. I presume the tweaking to the improved emissives is quick enough that updating the version-checker file would be a waste of time.

I know they added light sources to the engine heat-glow and particle emissives. That can make some mods look not-up-to-par on the new version if they modify these at all.

[quote name='ObsessedWithKSP']Yes, no plugins are needed or included.[/QUOTE]

Great! I've been using the small RCS ports [s]originally[/s] from the RCS+ mod so far, but that is outdated now, and use RCSFX. I prefer stock RCS, so I switched to RLA which [s]also[/s] has them. :-)

The parts are renamed in RLA though, so I'll have to convert my career save.

Edit: Figured RLA was the original, not RCS+. :) Edited by LostOblivion

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2015, 11:56:20, 123nick said:

will there ever be tweakscale or,  more. important ly RT support?

The lack of TweakScale support also irritates me because I like to use TweakScale a lot, and without these parts supporting it, it creates a lot of problems.

2 hours ago, Shinji-The-Kerbonaut said:

The lack of TweakScale support also irritates me because I like to use TweakScale a lot, and without these parts supporting it, it creates a lot of problems.

I can try to write these at some point in the future. It's very easy, it just takes a lot of time. You have to write a config for each and every part. I'll try to whip something up before the end of the week.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.