Am I the first one to circumnavigate Kerbin by land?

Wooks

I finished my challenge to circumnavigate Kerbin by land, no mods, no hacks, only stock. Started roving north from the KSC on January 24, 2014, went over both poles, one sea, two islands and an ocean, leaving behind 74 EVA Kerbals and 74 flags, reaching the KSC from the south today August 10, 2014.

Back in January I asked around the forums if anyone had circumnavigated Kerbin using only rovers (here), and up until now the answer had been "no, no one, never", there had been circumnavigations by air and sea, but to my knowledge nobody did it by land.

So, Am I the first one to do it? :wink:This thread is an open call to anyone who has a knowledge about this issue: If you know someone who did it before even if it wasn't recorded or it was lost in last year forum meltdown, please step up.

If I am indeed the first one, then I think I deserve a cookiee.

CleverImmediateAffenpinscher.gif

Edited by Wooks

Wow, very impressive. Congratulations!

How much in-game time did the trip take? From a quick back-of-the-envelope calculation, at 20 m/s I get about 60 hours, so about 10 (Kerbin) days.

That's a nice round number. A wrong number but nice. How about 1 year, 44 days, 0 hours and change?

That's a nice round number. A wrong number but nice. How about 1 year, 44 days, 0 hours and change?

Wow, my estimate is a bit off :P. How come it took so long? That's an average speed under 1 m/s! I haven't watched the series, though. Slow ocean crossings?

Wow, my estimate is a bit off :P. How come it took so long? That's an average speed under 1 m/s! I haven't watched the series, though. Slow ocean crossings?

The general profile of this series:

- No Mods, no hacks, no hyperedit, only stock.

- This is a permadeath series, what crashes crashes and stays like that.

- If a rover crashes or there are casualties, a new rover is delivered by air from the Kerbal Space Center to the precise location of the last crash.

- The journey must be made on a rover with the wheels on the ground, no "hopping" over terrain obstacles to deliver a new rover a few kilometers ahead.

- The only exception to the previous rule: If a body of water cuts the path and there´s no way around, then the rover must be taken from the ground, transported over the gap and delivered on the other side.

I used more or less 20 rovers all of them launched from the KSC, a couple crew ressuplies were sent and some hardware needed to be placed in the places where sea travel was necesary, including some refueling ships for the seaplane. Also I didn't drove at nights, at nightfall I fasforwarded to the next day and continued, that surely added several days to the clock.

I'm pretty sure you're the only one, not just the first.

It was a cool trip but I bet you're glad it's over now :-)

COOKIEE OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM!

I'm kind of sad it ended, I really enjoyed every minute of it.

First... last... you deserve a cookie for actually doing this! You sir, were truly bored with current state of affairs.

Being a mediocre builder and a really bad pilot, I had to take advantage from my only valuable skill: Patience.

Wait, you spent over 2600 hours real time driving around Kerbin.

Jan 24 --> August 11th is 199 days. You spent an average of 13+ hours per day, EVERY DAY, driving your rover?

Not necessarily. He was able to use physical time warp for a good part of the journey, and, as he mentioned, he time-warped through the nights, which would have added time anyway. That said, it's still a massive amount of time, hence why it took six months.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.