Umbra Space Industries - (Roadmap and WIPs)

RoverDude

So, I've been downloading all your mods and painfully slowly installing them all one by one, and I just realized I could've just downloaded them all in one neat package all this time. I love that USI_ALLMODS download <3

That being said, could you perhaps add it to the mod catalog? Let's face it, no-one is going to make it to the bottom of that page without downloading most of your mods, so that "Give me all the shinies!" button needs to be a thing :D

Wow that looks baller as hell.

Is it going to be terrifyingly huge though? Something that menacing ought to be big enough to strike fear into the hearts of rocks.

2.5M ;)

Roverdude, are you considering adding in KerbalStats support?

Yep - I need it for the next phase of MKS

So, I've been downloading all your mods and painfully slowly installing them all one by one, and I just realized I could've just downloaded them all in one neat package all this time. I love that USI_ALLMODS download <3

That being said, could you perhaps add it to the mod catalog? Let's face it, no-one is going to make it to the bottom of that page without downloading most of your mods, so that "Give me all the shinies!" button needs to be a thing :D

Let me see what I can do

Well this is the first I saw the all mod idea so ill go try it and see if it fixes my problem. However if not here is what I get. I installed all the USI mods on the catalog page, got all their dependencies from the source rather than rely on yours to be the latest... (toolbar, firespitter, CIT, etc.) then I placed it all in a "vanilla" install and ran it up. at this point everything seems to be fine. the game starts up I can get to the main menu and start a game.

However the problem is when I add this "GameData" folder from the vanilla setup to my working game it no longer functions. It will start the load process but just before opening the main menu it will CTD. I immediately figure "out of memory" and retry it with Task Manager running. Task manager was reporting 2.6GB when the game crashes. so I am not so sure it is a memory issue now.

I have traced it down to the FTT and Kolonization sub folders. if either of those folders are included the game will crash, with Task Manager reporting well under 3GB of memory used. usually around 2.2 to 2.6. But since all this seems to work fine in a clean install I do not know where to go from here. Just a note... I have all the USI mod folders installed... all I did was delete the FTT and or Kolonization folders from the UmbraSpaceIndustries folder.

^Wait, what do you mean when you say you add a GameData from the vanilla setup? If you mean you are taking a GameData folder from an unmodded install, how does the unmodded version have anything the modded version doesn't? Are we talking about another GameData inside the GameData folder or what is going on here?

Maybe I just misunderstood you, but to me it sounds like you are doing something very odd

Edited by Yski

Sorry added the game data from the vanilla setup that I had just put all the USI stuff in. so basically all that was there was NASA, Squad, and all the USI stuff. I then copied the USI stuff from this version to my play version with the pile-o-mods.

on a side note it seems it was memory after all. I read up on the DDS loader and converted all my textures to .DDS and that dropped my memory usage down between 2.3 and 2.5 with KSP running and all the USI mods in alongside the rest of them.

However I still get random CTD when switching to VAB etc. I do not know if it is tied to USI however so I am just going to call this [FIXED]

Edited by Bit Fiddler

Sorry, this is definitely a KSP issue not a USI issue. 2.5GB is pushing the envelope with KSP... you will crash eventually. I just write it off when I play (as I too do a heavily modded install). Not much I can do here other than suggest less mods, or Linux.

Questions regarding Karbonite vs Advanced Mining Tech (AMT):

If I understand correctly, the two resource mods will have several major differences, including single vs multiple resources, undepletable vs depletable, static vs dynamic availability, and simple vs complex conversion processes. Given these rather fundamental differences, are the two mods intended to be mutually exclusive? Of course I'm sure it will be possible to install both, but I'm asking about the design intentions. It seems that if one has both mods installed, Karbonite might be substantially easier to utilize than the more complex AMT resources, making AMT a bit redundant. If so, then AMT may largely supplant Karbonite as the dominant resource mod. I don't necessarily have a problem with this, but it would be a shame to leave behind all of the wonderful part models made for Karbonite. Any chance that AMT will utilize the Karbonite models for its own purposes?

Edited by Fraz86

Ah, I see! So AMT will utilize the Karbonite parts (and add new parts, presumably), but will completely overhaul the functionality such that Karbonite is assimilated into AMT's more complex & difficult structure? That sounds like an ideal solution; I can't wait to try it out!

actually I was thinking of building a dual boot system on my gaming laptop to load Ubuntu just for that reason. I love KSP but I just cant bring myself to play a strict vanilla game. I restart all the time on vanilla and within a day or 2 have a pile of mods installed again and the game comes to an end.

I wish they would just get the windows 64 bit working... I would even be willing to pay for the game again if it meant getting a working 64bit version for windows as I am now also getting many weird texture errors which I assume are from the .dds mod stuff. (sigh) back to pre DDS and try to find mods to remove to get memory down again. I have yet to really use your mods but from looking at them I have decided they are on my must have list. I just wish I could get a setup working with them installed. any other other hints on ways to reduce memory usage would be great as well. I have ATM running and I run it as OpenGL, I currently have .dds mod running but I think I will remove it.

I read a while back about an ATM like mod; but rather than compressing the textures, it had setup a way to make dummy textures that it kept in memory to keep the footprint small, then if you needed the actual texture to render in game it would load the full size one. any ideas what that mod was called? I have looked for it again but cant seem to find it.

You ever see the movie or read the book "Sophie's Choice"? lol that is how I feel right now when I try to decide which mods to remove.

yes that is it... trying it out now... also I have seen that in addition to forcing the game to run in OpenGL to save memory you can also force it to run in DX11 mode. this will also save some RAM usage for your mods. if you are having memory issues you may want to try this one...

same as -force-opengl you can instead use -force-d3d11

also another thing I have seen mentioned is to force KSP to only use 2 processors on multi core systems. by setting the affinity to only 2 of the available. and then set the priority to "realtime" this does not save you any memory, but supossedly will help your frame rate and general game lag.

also another thing I have seen mentioned is to force KSP to only use 2 processors on multi core systems. by setting the affinity to only 2 of the available. and then set the priority to "realtime" this does not save you any memory, but supossedly will help your frame rate and general game lag.

Kind of off topic, but how does limiting the game to 2 processors increase the performance? I know ksp isn't particularly good at multi threading, but giving it less resources and somehow having the game run better sounds very counter intuitive. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm very confused as to how that's supposed to work.

Affinity sets it to specific CPUs, as some schedulers end up putting your process on the same CPU as everything else, while leaving other cores underutilized. And, as KSP is apparently single-threaded, it shouldn't actually cost anything. It's a way around scheduling inadequacies, and used to be pretty common – I'm no longer paying attention to that stuff anymore, though, so can't comment on its effectiveness in this case.

Something that confused me when setting up all the USI mods - USI Kolonization claims it has Karbonite integrated, but it doesn't appear to add the parts that are included with the Karbonite mod itself.

This caused me some confusion initially, but my guess is that Kolonization includes only basic Karbonite support.

As a result, I still installed them both; if this is wrong, please let me know. Otherwise, it might be helpful to point out that Karbonite and Karbonite Plus still add useful parts even if using Kolonization.

Also, I agree that USI_ALLMODS needs to be more prominent - I wasn't aware of that until 5 minutes ago, having downloaded through your catalog, not your dropbox.

Something that confused me when setting up all the USI mods - USI Kolonization claims it has Karbonite integrated, but it doesn't appear to add the parts that are included with the Karbonite mod itself.

This caused me some confusion initially, but my guess is that Kolonization includes only basic Karbonite support.

As a result, I still installed them both; if this is wrong, please let me know. Otherwise, it might be helpful to point out that Karbonite and Karbonite Plus still add useful parts even if using Kolonization.

Also, I agree that USI_ALLMODS needs to be more prominent - I wasn't aware of that until 5 minutes ago, having downloaded through your catalog, not your dropbox.

Ahh - probably out of date. It used to be bundled, then I de-bundled it to save on bandwidth for folks.

Just a random THANK YOU for actually giving your parts intelligible names. I write my own TweakScale configs for most stuff and yours (for FTT) took 5 minutes whereas lost of other mods expect you to psychically divine what size "bigTank01" is. So... thanks!

Trust me - it saves my sanity as well ;)

Are there any plans for larger base parts? I love the way USI parts look, and while the Stanford Torus mod is amazing, it does look kind of out of place when surrounded by my amazing yet relatively small MKS outposts. Just imagine the glory of a USI base the size of Gilly! :D

Edited by Yski

Out of curiosity, where are you with this objective:

MKS shipyards - a more formal integration of EL and MKS (Possibly a fork, possibly pull requests to modularize parts of EL). Basically rather than going from Ore->metal->RocketParts, change the equation to require more varied resources to get down that journey.

Would you also consider making on OKS variant? I would love to be able to make a fully functional SkyDock Shipyard =)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.