Umbra Space Industries - (Roadmap and WIPs)

RoverDude

If you post it there, other could also help you with it.

Thank you.

As it could be maybe it is just me. I didn't wanted to poison the release threads. So we are from different culture. I just don't want to be rude with those who can use without errors these awsomnesses.

But the point is good on what you told me. Thank you again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey RoverDude!

I had an idea for a Mod pack, and I have a feeling you or some of the modders you know could do proper justice to them!

I was thinking about my numerous and massive bases I've built and while they are super awesome they always have a 'close to the line' survival vibe to them. I was thinking that some non critical structures would make it feel and look more like a permanent outpost, where Kerbals look forward to spending the rest of their (apparently eternal) lives.

The addition of one new optional life support resource (luxury items) that are possible but very difficult to grow in situ, and some heavy, expensive non critical structures would change the tone to closer what a comfortable permanent colony would look like, and maybe give a reason for luxury good resupply missions.

Also; I thought that it would be neat to convert surplus Monoprop/LFO/Life support supplies into utility or money at a better rate than shipping them home.

I plan on learning the models and coding it myself(Woo C#), but I am quickly realizing it'll be months and months before I have time to do a proper job on it. If any other modder wants to run with it, I have zero problem relinquishing 100% of my rights to it. Good ideas are easy, thoughtful executions are much less so!

Non Kritical Structures (NKS)

Luxury Items

New Life support consumable

About 5x more expensive funds wise than Food, representing real meat/fruit, great coffee and premium spirits.

Non essential, but consumed at roughly half the speed as food. Outputs as waste. Boosts happiness while present.

Luxury Factory

roasting of coffeebeans, Distilling of whiskey and curing of spacebacon

Module Size;

Based on the MKS Agricultural module. Should be much more demanding than normal farming. Maybe more inputs, maybe slower growing?

Effects

generates Luxury goods, requires spare parts, machinary, and inflatables.

Notes; Inputs might be compost or biomass?

Lux inflatable

Inflateable based on the MKS Agi inflateable, where you grow space coffee, space sour mash, and 16 legged space porkapedes.

Medibay

Somewhere to get pills for space madness, and fix horrific injuries from Porkapede wrangling.

Module Size;

Mk2 MKS style

Effects;

+morale/happiness

SUPER Optional Sci-fi: Kerbal-inna-Vat; Generate One 1 star Kerbal a year, consume Biomass

Notes; Needs machinary and consumes spare parts.

Rec Inflatable

Light cheap inflatable that allows colonists to play low G dodgeball and a big projector for movie nights

Module Size;

A reskinned Hab dome maybe a bit bigger

Effects; +Happiness

Notes; This is probably the closest thing to a useful one on the list, so maybe no effect for multiple rec inflateables

Swimming pool

Swimming on the moon, the best reason for space travel ever.

Module size;

Three sizes

Surface Olympic = 2.5 million L = 2500 tons at least 50Mx25M, so the part would be VRRRRY large. Half sized 25mx25m pools also exist IRL..

Surface Backyard = 56 000L = 56 tons 7mx4mx2m Rectangle so still largish

Orbital= 100 000L = 100 tons Slowly rotating sphere , 7 meters (obviously not 100% full of water, air in the centre!)

Effect;

+happiness

+Rep over time for olympic size, while full.

Notes; starts empty, xfer in the water. Option to drain pool to dirty water, since pool water isn't drinking water. Consumes spare parts

Icarus Dome

a very large (10+ M) inflateable dome, with wearable wings to wear to flap around, only usable on bodies with less than 2ms^2 grav

Module size;

Enlarged Hab dome, with a different texture

Effect;

+happiness

Notes;Fairly light, Requires 100 units of machinery, consumes spareparts.

Hotel

Cash in on having a big stable permanent colony

Module Size;

very large, very heavy, 5Mx10M at least. Might require a custom model. must be staffed to work

Effect;

Passive income over time as other companies drop off tourists. Option to sell LFO to the passeneger liners for additional profit

Notes; Consumes life support of 10 kerbals and 20 kerbals of Lux resources.

Promenade

Giant heavy structure. Showy and impressive, serving ZERO purpose.

Module Size;

Large and awkward. and at least 200 tons

Effects; MAYBE count as workspace,+happiness, or boosting rep over time for impressiveness, but having Zero purpose is the real point.

Notes; A vanity piece to have 200+ tons of outlooks and walkways and common areas

Rover bay

send out recreational rovers.

Module Size;

Two Mk3 MKS Modules welded together maybe? Might be another candidate for a custom model

Effects;

Slight (10-30%) boost to drill effectiveness since there would be industrial use

+Happiness

+Science /time (low)

complex Optional: a button to spawn a single Packrat rover either one time and free, or insta-consume rocketparts.

Notes;Consumes EC and Spareparts.

Flight deck

Small recreational skimmers, for science and joyrides

Module Size;

Fairly large, very similar to the rover bay.

Effects;

Unlocks rescue from orbit missions for that body.

+Happiness

+Science/time (medium)

Maybe doubles as a logistics hub as well

Notes; Consumes spareparts with a small constant drain of Monoprop(modified by surface gravity)

Sorry for the Post-a-saurus!

• 2 weeks later...

I may have had a stoke of brilliance.

Food, water, and oxygen rationing.

All previous life support mods have cared about whether a Kerbal is alive or dead with nothing between. One reason for this is that there is no game play difference between a well-fed Kerbal and a starving Kerbal.

With your addition of productivity to the game this could change. Add something similar to thrust limiters on life support consumption and over time your crew's productivity decreases representing the physical and mental strains of being hungry and thirsty or even slightly oxygen deprived. Also, if a resource is throttled below a critical limit the crew will eventually die from want.

Not to mention that such a mechanic would allow the closet sadists and philanthropists to live out their fantasies of being a gruelling task master or a benevolent manager.

• 4 weeks later...

[ERR 00:41:49.408] File error:

Failed to read past end of stream.

at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadByte () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.IO.BinaryReader.Read7BitEncodedInt () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadString () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at A..ReadTextures (System.IO.BinaryReader br, UnityEngine.GameObject o) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at A..ReadChild (System.IO.BinaryReader br, UnityEngine.Transform parent) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at A.. (.UrlFile ) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[WRN 00:41:49.408] Model load error in '/home/local1907/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/GameData/000_USITools/UmbraSpaceIndustries/ExpPack/AES/Spaces/AES_Internal.mu'

[ERR 00:41:49.408] File error:

Failed to read past end of stream.

at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadByte () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.IO.BinaryReader.Read7BitEncodedInt () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadString () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at A..ReadTextures (System.IO.BinaryReader br, UnityEngine.GameObject o) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at A..ReadChild (System.IO.BinaryReader br, UnityEngine.Transform parent) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at A.. (.UrlFile ) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[WRN 00:41:49.408] Model load error in '/home/local1907/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/GameData/000_USITools/UmbraSpaceIndustries/ExpPack/AES/Spaces/AES_Internal.mu'

This is the second mod thread in which you've just posted a snippet of log. Can you elaborate on what issue you're having in each of them please?

I just wanted to post the exact same error here.

(Only mine is for: "Model load error in 'D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\ExpPack\AES\Spaces\AES_Internal.mu'".)

If not here, then where?

I am shamelessly trying to only use the Academy in my game.

From the MK3_Akademy.cfg I am guessing I would at least need:

MKS_Module_III

Decal_375_00

Decal_375_99

Decal_375_00_GLOW

Decal_375_10_GLOW - these last two files I cannot find though.

If I use the exact same folder structure do I just need the KolonyTools.dll and am done? Or is it not only sacrilege but also not possible to use just one single part from this mod?

I'm trying out USI Freight Transport Technologies on KSP 1.0.2, but have some problem with Honeybadgers VTOL Engines (the atmospheric ones):

Every time I switch the engines to hover mode, they heat up extremly fast and explode due to overheat within half a second or so - faster than I could turn off the hover mode.

At the same time they start heating up, the engine sound pitches up quite a bit, as if the engines run on 150% throttle or some such.

Here are the mods and versions CKAN pulled in for my testing instance for KSP 1.0.2:

USI FTT 0.4.0

USI Tools 0.4.0

Module Manager 2.6.3

Firespitter Core v7.1.1

CRP 0.4.1

KSP AVC 1.1.5.0

The AVC reported a newer Firespitter version available, if this would fix the problem, but CKAN hasn't that one in the database yet.

Testing Vehicle was HB Cabin + HB Nuclear Reactor + HB Endcap + 4x Medium Ducted Fan Engine

The Inline VTOL Engine had the same problem in my regular KSP Instance (lots more mods, thats why I tested it with only FTT and deps.)

Is this a FTT problem, or something with Firespitter? Never had the latter for more than the module stuff...

Hey Roverdude I installed the survivability pack for some fun floatation stuff and I would like to make a suggestion/request ---

I really like most of the bits except the 1.25 and 2.50m floatation parts. They are way to thick. I just can't use them they are so thick. They are literally 1/3 the height of the capsule. when you add a heatshield, the heatshield adapter, and decoupler you nearly double the height of the capsule and it just look ridiculous.

Is there a technical reason they have to be so thick? Would you consider redesigning them to be thinner (something like the KW decoupler thickness or maybe even half that) and maybe even incorporate and heatshield and decoupler all in one unit? It would be nice to have a 1.25, 2.5, 3.75, and maybe even a 5m combo heatshield/decoupler/float maybe?

I model in Maya and would love to take on a project like this myself but I just don't have the cycles to learn the API. If you'd care to give me some help though I would love to do the modeling for something like this.

Edited by ctbram

I'm trying out USI Freight Transport Technologies on KSP 1.0.2, but have some problem with Honeybadgers VTOL Engines (the atmospheric ones):

Every time I switch the engines to hover mode, they heat up extremly fast and explode due to overheat within half a second or so - faster than I could turn off the hover mode.

At the same time they start heating up, the engine sound pitches up quite a bit, as if the engines run on 150% throttle or some such.

Here are the mods and versions CKAN pulled in for my testing instance for KSP 1.0.2:

USI FTT 0.4.0

USI Tools 0.4.0

Module Manager 2.6.3

Firespitter Core v7.1.1

CRP 0.4.1

KSP AVC 1.1.5.0

The AVC reported a newer Firespitter version available, if this would fix the problem, but CKAN hasn't that one in the database yet.

Testing Vehicle was HB Cabin + HB Nuclear Reactor + HB Endcap + 4x Medium Ducted Fan Engine

The Inline VTOL Engine had the same problem in my regular KSP Instance (lots more mods, thats why I tested it with only FTT and deps.)

Is this a FTT problem, or something with Firespitter? Never had the latter for more than the module stuff...

Same here, can confirm

• 4 weeks later...

Im not sure if this is the correct thread to post this, if it isn't could you please tell me where it is? I'm trying to use the USI Exploration mod. When I go into the VAB hanger and load any of the prebuilt probs etc. I cant get any of the stock Kerbal parts to connect with them. Is there a secret to doing this that Im not aware of? Im kinda new to KSP so if this is a basic thing, I apologize in advance Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you,

E

So, is Bargain Rocket Parts gonna be updated?

No rushing, I know that modding can be a very tedious thing (Especially when upgrading to newer version of KSP on which some stuff is considered by the game to be "miscoded" or something like that).

Man I miss Bargain Rocket Parts...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I'm a long time player but new to the forums. First off, I truly enjoy your work RoverDude! I have read through this entire thread and parts of others regarding your mods but haven't stumbled on an answer to a problem I'm having. I also read through the tutorials and FAQ on GitHub to no avail.

I'm having an issue with installing multiple USI mods. My problem is when I extract say the Kolonization mod into the KSP GameData folder it works perfectly. Then, if I try to add another, say Explores Pack, I obviously can't have two UmbraSpaceIndustries folders. I have tried adding the EP into the preexisting USI folder, but only the Kolonization parts are available in game, and not the EP parts. I have also tried dumping all the individual mods directly into the GameData folder, but that didn't work either... I imagine this problem is fairly easy to fix, so any help from anyone is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

EDIT: I actually solved the problem. The module manager in Kolonization and Explorers were different versions, so I needed both to run both mods.

Edited by ATM424
Problem Solved

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Roverdude!

Why neither the Survivability pack nor the generic Containers (bundled with MKS, IIRC) no longer support TAC LS?

Edited by DDE

Hey, Roverdude!

Why neither the Survivability pack and the generic Containers (bundled with MKS, IIRC) no longer support TAC LS?

Probably because he is looking to support his LS mod with them and compatibility can be done using MM. I am just curious about what he could be doing for Squad this time around...(shifty looks to-and-fro)

Probably because he is looking to support his LS mod with them and compatibility can be done using MM.

Just out of curiosity, then, how do you use MM to edit the Firespitter Fuel Switch modules?

Hey, Roverdude!

Why neither the Survivability pack nor the generic Containers (bundled with MKS, IIRC) no longer support TAC LS?

Because USI-LS is pretty much what I build everything to, TAC-LS is secondary.

Probably because he is looking to support his LS mod with them and compatibility can be done using MM. I am just curious about what he could be doing for Squad this time around...(shifty looks to-and-fro)

Bingo. And I am working on some very cool things :D

Just out of curiosity, then, how do you use MM to edit the Firespitter Fuel Switch modules?

Very painfully. Or better yet just use the TAC-LS containers.

So, Rover, if that is your real name.

You know what would be a really cool thing to have in your mod(s).

All of those superb looking radial engines?

They should pivot, it would be so great to be able to use those turbo props and jet engines for VTOL. There's a tragic lack of versatile VTOL parts in this game, they're all purpose built for one frame or vehicle concept.

Tweakscale would be kind of sweet, too.

Now that I've finished being needy...

Thanks so much for making KSP an exploration game for us. Your work (and the work of your basement full of Umpa Lumpas) is greatly appreciated.

@Ballistic, TweakScale support is pretty simple to add. I've added it to many parts though IMHO only a few USI parts benefit. What parts specifically are you wanting to scale?

@Ballistic, TweakScale support is pretty simple to add. I've added it to many parts though IMHO only a few USI parts benefit. What parts specifically are you wanting to scale?

The radial engines, was what my thought was. The turbofans and jet engines are some of the best looking parts in the game from any mod.

I want to put them on everything. Even my car.

Of course I've always wanted a massive blender on the front of my car anyway...

The radial engines, was what my thought was. The turbofans and jet engines are some of the best looking parts in the game from any mod.

I want to put them on everything. Even my car.

Of course I've always wanted a massive blender on the front of my car anyway...

Ok, so I'm guessing the engines you mean are from the Karbonite pack then.

Here is a set of configs that should do what you want. Just copy this into notepad, save it as something.cfg and put it somewhere in your gamedata folder.

I haven't tested this though. There may be some misconfig here, so try it out in a sandbox first.

//----Surface Attached Karbonite Engines
@PART[LFKA_Jet_PropFan_01]:NEEDS[TweakScale] // KLF-750 Propfan
{
#@TWEAKSCALEBEHAVIOR[Engine]/MODULE[TweakScale] { }
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[LFKA_Jet_Radial_01]:NEEDS[TweakScale] // KLF-150R Radial Jet Engine
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[KA_Jet_PropFan_01]:NEEDS[TweakScale] // KAE-750 Propfan
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

@PART[KA_Jet_Radial_01]:NEEDS[TweakScale] // KAE-150R Radial Jet Engine
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = free
}
}

//----Stack attached Karbonite Engines
@PART[LFKA_Jet_Stack_01] // KLF-150S Inline Turbojet
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = stack
defaultScale = 1.25
}
}

@PART[KA_Engine_250_01] // KVE-250 Karbonite Fueled Engine
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = stack
defaultScale = 2.5
}
}

@PART[KA_Engine_625_01] // KE-625 Mini Karbonite Engine
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = stack
defaultScale = 0.625
}
}

@PART[KA_Engine_125_01] // KVE-125 Karbonite Fueled Engine
{
%MODULE[TweakScale]
{
type = stack
defaultScale = 1.25
}
}

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.