Naval Battle Club

astecarmyman

Thank you, I shall post results.

EDIT: Damn, I have to wait for the new version to download. BUT THEN! You puny ship shall feel the wrath of the glorious TCMS Victory!

...And maybe the Praegrandis too.

Edited by Megalodon 720

Oh ok, was scared for a moment.Three, we should try to finish this battle before 1.1 hits if we can, than refit the ships with antennae. Also, uhhh... victory weighs 204 tons. What are you testing? If it is the armor of victory, I think she can take the hits. If it is her weapons, than Nouveau is still destroyed.

Edited by Alphasus

Oh bugger, That's misleading, sorry. I'll post a picture of her soon to avoid more confusion.

EDIT: Here we go, A picture of the glorious Victory class in orbit around kerbin:

fkNifSj.png

And now the test:

I place both ships about 750m apart around Kerbin and fired two "popper" missiles at the target.

5wPLWuo.png

The first missed by a few meters, while the second clipped one of the Xenon engines on top. This shot obliterated the craft, and before long I had a rather big cleanup operation on my hands:

9tZ6ug8.png

Result: The Victory is still a battle-worthy craft and should only need minor modifications, if any. I have to admit that this is a tad unfair though, seeing as I used a battleship against a frigate, and still used a missiles designed to obliterate capital ships.

The Nouveau is a very nice ship and with a surprisingly low part count.

Armour test: Fired the two front missiles at Victory, the first missed and the second hit, and knocked of a lot of the stern armour, although the insides stayed intact.

B8jhfHk.png

Result: Lucky shot :mad:

Edited by Megalodon 720

@Alphasus: I must declare that final hit the luckiest shot ever. Why, you ask? Because out of the Mach's 431 parts, it destroyed exactly two of them: A decoupler, and the root girder. As such, the ship, now split into two halves, is still completely functional; with some fancy engineering work, I can reunite them, as well as retrieve the dislodged battery casing. I fear you underestimated the "debris cloud." :sticktongue:

Of course, I cannot attack you with its armament immediately (it is still my bomber's turn, after all), but the Mach is coming for you...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Torpedoes dont count as cores... Also, they can't be used to push at all as per the rule addendum. Just saying...Allright.

You may use any probe or manned "core" to control your ship provided that it was originally on that ship and it is not

part of say a missile or fighter attached to it.

So, the missile cant be used I think....will need further clarification on that. Also, good luck reuniting the ship. I still have a missile left.

I would like clarification on this because a split ship means that the cores cant do anything on their own. One can't move and the other can't move and sustain power at the same time. Also, missiles can't be used as propulsion AFAIK.

What an unlucky hit for me... I had you with one more shot...

Torpedoes dont count as cores... Also, they can't be used to push at all as per the rule addendum. Just saying...Allright.

You may use any probe or manned "core" to control your ship provided that it was originally on that ship and it is not

part of say a missile or fighter attached to it.

So, the missile cant be used I think....will need further clarification on that. Also, good luck reuniting the ship. I still have a missile left.

I would like clarification on this because a split ship means that the cores cant do anything on their own. One can't move and the other can't move and sustain power at the same time. Also, missiles can't be used as propulsion AFAIK.

What an unlucky hit for me... I had you with one more shot...

Actually, both ships are running off of auxiliary cores in their interior, and both still have plenty of xenon and monopropellant left. Missiles are not at all necessary to move them around...Additionally, even fully intact they could not sustain power and move; the thing has 24 ion engines and thus is battery-powered--it relies on 32000 stored units of electric charge rather than solar panels to maneuver, and recharges in between burns.

Could you run the test again? I want to see if the 1.25m are actually good, because i never got to test them. I wonder if it was a truly lucky shot.

- - - Updated - - -

@Three Sorry, my fault, didnt notice the LFO within the ships allowing them to move.

Umm, Three... I cant run near the Schrodinger at above 15 fps.... Weird stuff starts going on too. The Nouveau can't stop rotating sometimes, and other times, I just crash.

Edited by Alphasus

Could you run the test again? I want to see if the 1.25m are actually good, because i never got to test them. I wonder if it was a truly lucky shot.

- - - Updated - - -

@Three Sorry, my fault, didnt notice the LFO within the ships allowing them to move.

I'll do it when I can. BTW, I just thought I'd let you know that it isn't a bad idea to release the 1.25m missiles and aim them separately from the ship.

I should thank you really, if it weren't for that test then I wouldn't have found the weakspot in the ship's stern.

Also, your SRB rockets have a very limited range, and ran out of fuel before they actually reached the Victory (they missed though, because I'm a terrible shot) so when using them it would be good to close to under 500m from the target.

Armour test No.2:

This time I changed it a bit. I was firing into the Victory's bow, not the stern, and I was firing from 300m. I also fired four rounds at the Victory, all of which hit their mark.

First shot: 3TNoSrp.png

This shot was similar to the last test, shaving off some armour but ultimately leaving the insides intact. The second shot simply hit the command module on top and destroyed a single panel. It also took out three solar panels.

Third and fourth shots (the ship began spinning after the first shot, hence why I hit the side):

uv8yZ94.png

This shot was surprisingly destructive. It dislodged two small fuel tanks, destroyed an engine, destroyed some plating, and took out two missiles in the bow.

Overall damage:1fZ5dJr.png

fUHBrcF.png

Result: The Nouveau used up all of its missiles and dealt considerable damage to the Victory, however the latter was still alive and had three quarters of her armament left. She also had most of her fuel and enough engines to move at a bearable pace. Therefore, the Victory would be perfectly capable of a revenge shot after the Nouveau had run away, and is still a ship to be reckoned with even after four shots.

Armour test No.2:

This time I changed it a bit. I was firing into the Victory's bow, not the stern, and I was firing from 300m. I also fired four rounds at the Victory, all of which hit their mark.

First shot: http://i.imgur.com/3TNoSrp.png

This shot was similar to the last test, shaving off some armour but ultimately leaving the insides intact. The second shot simply hit the command module on top and destroyed a single panel. It also took out three solar panels.

Third and fourth shots (the ship began spinning after the first shot, hence why I hit the side):

http://i.imgur.com/uv8yZ94.png

This shot was surprisingly destructive. It dislodged two small fuel tanks, destroyed an engine, destroyed some plating, and took out two missiles in the bow.

Overall damage:http://i.imgur.com/1fZ5dJr.png

http://i.imgur.com/fUHBrcF.png

Result: The Nouveau used up all of its missiles and dealt considerable damage to the Victory, however the latter was still alive and had three quarters of her armament left. She also had most of her fuel and enough engines to move at a bearable pace. Therefore, the Victory would be perfectly capable of a revenge shot after the Nouveau had run away, and is still a ship to be reckoned with even after four shots.

So, 2 Nouveau's stand a chance against Victory? Thanks for the info. I also have a new craft out. I call it the Nouveau Mark 2. It has more delta-v, and reasonable side armor. The entire ship is coated in 80 m/s resistant plate, and it weighs 70 tons. So, I have uprated it into a cruiser. Would anyone like a craft file for testing?

I'll give it a go tomorrow hopefully, and yes, two Nouveaus would probably beat a Victory into submission.

BTW, I noticed that your ship seemed to fracture easily and I was wondering if there was a problem with the way you were constructing it. As a result, I will leave you with a link to my video showing how I built most of my "recent" ships (including the Victory), which may help you create more resilient ships:

Turn Summary: The Linnaeus was dispatched to disable or destroy one of the remaining fully-armed Noveau-class warships; intercept and rendezvous proceeded without incident.

Upon arrival, the Linnaeus probed the latter's defenses with a singular rocket, shearing off a large section of the Noveau's exterior plate; however, it was judged best to proceed with the initial objective (i.e, disarmament) rather than expending ammunition unnecessarily.

h40ycJb.png

J6ptYgs.png

Disarmament proceeded quickly due to the chaingun's high efficiency against lightly-armored targets, such as the exposed missiles; both side-mounted missiles were severed with three shots:

mRdA1eA.png

The front-mounted torpedoes proceeded in much the same way, with the final three round being used to destroy them:

yqJNkvu.png

ggZabem.png

Following the complete disarmament of the Noveau, the firing of two additional rockets was authorized in the hopes of neutralizing the ship completely; these, however, had comparatively little effect, and thus the final damage stands at mere disability rather than total destruction.

Noveau Final Damage]

HfTFVbP.png

The Linnaeus then repositioned, merely leaving the Noveau's immediate vicinity rather than conducting a plane change maneuver as did the Ohm.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Persist

While I have to say that the Nouveau class warships have OK armor, the Linnaeus is still armed. So, I will attempt to destroy it or at least its weapons ability. Once your ships have no weapons, you cannot sustain power. Thus, they are considered destroyed. I will take my turn in the morning. How fast is the chaingun round?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.