Naval Battle Club

astecarmyman

Ha, gonna get back on this forum once again. I have completely new idea for a ship, Kerbal States kept me busy for a while. It shall revolutionize engine placement (at least i think so)

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know what I'm doing even attempting another warship but here we goooooo

http://i.imgur.com/aYk8ebI.png

Bah, it's midnight.

http://i.imgur.com/8waIx03.jpg

Hmmm interesting looks like Zekes used my idea about using fuel tanks as reactive armor on his new Drekevak 32.

I don't know what I'm doing even attempting another warship but here we goooooo

http://i.imgur.com/aYk8ebI.png

Bah, it's midnight.

http://i.imgur.com/8waIx03.jpg

Cool, cant wait for a link since well, need to test it NOW!

Also, one thing i never understood is why you place those 2 ait intakes on the sides like so, the ship doesnt have any jet engines, and even if it did i highly doubt itd be capable of SSTOing either way. SO is this some secret armoring technique to make it stronger? Or is there some other use for those i cant seem to get? This is also on older dreks too, so it must do something or otherwise i dont see why you would place those there.

Also, i see you stole Zamo's armor using those fuel tanks. Aside from being excessively part coutn intensive, such armor is good as not only does it act as spaced armor, but you get ballast tanks to centralize the CoM, and well, its essentially free fuel as well.

Edited by panzer1b

Yay, new drek. The 32? Sadly, that makes all of my ships obsolete instantly...

It's actually just an XIV-1 that's been torn down - the armor is very much the same, i don't expect it to survive much damage. It's a stop-gap untill I figure out how armor works again.

Also, i see you stole Zamo's armor using those fuel tanks.

I didn't purposefully do it, It's been a general habit because I don't have the space to fit all the fuel internally :/

By using all of its fuel very quickly and then sitting dead in the water?

Edit aah christ i forgot the LV-N only uses liquid fuel now. Well that explains why packing so much fuel was getting me terrible D/V.....

- - - Updated - - -

Remember I still have these monsters. I need to make some smaller craft now, like 30 tons and 4000 m/s with light armor and shipkilling missiles.

These guys carry 6 and 12 Popper H missiles, and the first in tough as nails. The second can pretty much go anywhere.

TCnMs1F.jpg

R9qXJZx.jpg

Edited by zekes

By using all of its fuel very quickly and then sitting dead in the water?

Edit aah christ i forgot the LV-N only uses liquid fuel now. Well that explains why packing so much fuel was getting me terrible D/V.....

- - - Updated - - -

Remember I still have these monsters. I need to make some smaller craft now, like 30 tons and 4000 m/s with light armor and shipkilling missiles.

These guys carry 6 and 12 Popper H missiles, and the first in tough as nails. The second can pretty much go anywhere.

http://i.imgur.com/TCnMs1F.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/R9qXJZx.jpg

The main hull houses fuel inside so no worries. plus I have extra engines outside so it's pretty much secure.

WAIT THE LVNs USE ONLY LIQUID FUEL NOW? I HAVE TO REMAKE MY SHIPS!

You may carry those Popper missiles but my tirepedoes is the closest contender to that. And I've tested it against my new armor layout which is better. I have solved the Structural beam core problem of the ships. My ships cannot be easily cut in half this time. Although I still have to work on armor spacing apparently phasing is still a problem other than that I believe my new ship is better than the previous flawed ships.

Allright, guys. Take a crack at this baby:

Able to shrug off a Popper H from 300 meters.

http://i.imgur.com/DNmVi2J.jpg

https://www./?se732j2ppdpg59l

As usual, ur dreks are resilient to most weaponry, but for whatever reason i can still split them with luck using RT-5 torps that are what, RT5 and a girder atop it, and the Tripedoes i normally had from back when to counter the dreks just eat it alive (Especially the S/H which will KILL ANYTHING), but most of the time its heavily luck dependant, and nothing aside the mega wheel weapons are 100% guaranteed kills. As cool as your ships are resilience wise, you really need to figure a way to get similarish armor at a MUCH lower part count and mass. My ships, while defenetely nowhere near this level, are what, 150 part hulls, with ~100 parts for a moderate weapons loadout, thats what, 4 deployed for 1 drek :D (and they weigh like what, under 60t). but its all a matter of practicality, super heavy ships dont make much sense to me as there is no way to make them invincible, and all you really need is a good amount of resilience/redundancy in a smaller lighter and more part friendly ship. Although myself i havent come up with anything at all armor wise thats say, under 200 parts and can reliably block poppers or other high end weapons, im still hoping that some day some stroke of luck comes and i come up with something revolutionary, actual armor protection against heavy ordinance at lowish mass/part count.

Btw, does anyone know what is the best core layout? Im working on a frigate (itll have a 300 part hull, higher then what i normally like but im actually trying to make something hard to kill), and i could use some help with the core layout as my SK-CRV-III is starting to really become obsolete. It served AKS well for a long time, but that hull is just showing its age, and now that ive found a weakness that every one of my ships i have carries (all based on the same core structure), it needs to be replaced by something better, preferably similar on parts and not much heavier either.

Ive also discovered a few more things that may be of help to anyone building hulls. It seems that for one, parts can actually get weakened by an initial salvo and then are easier to break. While ive never actually thought such a thing was true, ive consistently produced results where a bombardment of even weak crap like stubby ibeams can weaken a hull and make it get cut in half far easier with say a RT-5 then had i fired that RT-5 before bombarding with the ibeams. When fighting, ive found one shot at a time in sequence to be the most lethal vs heavy armor as well, if you get the timing right the enemy ship will not fully recover from built in stresses and the joints can be ovcerloaded by stuff that would normally not do much. Placing wings onto structural panels is a BAD IDEA, as ive actually removed the wings from my SK-CRV class ships, and it seems to have better resilience vs weak crap like ibeams, and is of roughly equal protection vs high velocity phased rounds. It seems that the weapons put stress on the wings that break apart and then that stress travels through ripping out more of the hull then had the ordinance hit just the panels under it.

Anyways, while im still not going back to 100% competitive builds until U5, i think ill spend the next few days i have off testing armor layouts as i really need to find something that works for my new fleet im redoing completely (old ships as nice as they were, are just starting to die too easily when you know how to hit em).

Although myself i havent come up with anything at all armor wise thats say, under 200 parts and can reliably block poppers or other high end weapons, im still hoping that some day some stroke of luck comes and i come up with something revolutionary, actual armor protection against heavy ordinance at lowish mass/part count.

I have not either; however, my Gen. IV warships (the Lachrymeum and the Photon) have vastly lower part counts than is typical for me (475 and 565, respectively), even though they are both battery-powered ion craft with decent TWR--if they ran on nukes instead, they would be significantly more massive, but probably almost 100 fewer parts. Certainly 375 parts with full munitions is acceptable for almost anyone, and the massive reduction came at a significant increase in durability: Both are capable of defeating all 0.625m munitions, are largely immune to lighter 1.25m munitions, and can survive several blows of heavier (Tripedo-M mass range) armaments while still remaining functional.

This upgrade came after I had some thing of an epiphany regarding armoring and hull construction techniques, partially inspired by Drek hulls, AKS Tri-Fighters, and my own large-scale experimentation and intensive testing earlier this summer (i.e, the period where I spent days building ships and Panzer spent days blowing them up); I also figured out how to largely make part-clipping, even severe clipping, viable again. The technique is fairly complicated, and, for the moment, still proprietary, though it is not that difficult to figure out once you have seen a working design. Nonetheless, I am working on optimizing it further and extending its applications to better suit liquid fuel-powered vessels, which will hopefully allow us to start having real battles again (though I fear the XL3 wheel will always be undefeatable).

Really well said paragraph in general, panzer1b.

Although myself i havent come up with anything at all armor wise thats say, under 200 parts and can reliably block poppers or other high end weapons, im still hoping that some day some stroke of luck comes and i come up with something revolutionary, actual armor protection against heavy ordinance at lowish mass/part count.

Yes, those Poppers are really a wicked sting - the only downside to them is they are high part count (42 each) and when you carry six of them, like in the drek, that's an extra 240 parts for weaponry alone. I made two smaller (50ish ton) frigates and they both carry only 2 poppers, I will have to test those more to see how well they fair against smaller armament (as poppers just obliterate them).

Poppers tend to really obliterate anything in their way, probably because of the clipping and high part count. There's not much but for Zamo and your shots that can do more damage to something than a Popper, and even then it's luck of the draw. The Popper is a pretty consistent missile, I can't recall a time it's ever failed to penetrate in combat (I recall firing one at one of Zamo's ships that didn't break it but I believe that was at like 100m and unguided).

Armor is really hard now, especially with heating, as like you said the more times you hit it the more damage it does, making it more susceptible to breaking. That's good for me because Drek Doctrine has always been fire 2-3 poppers at a target to destroy it, meaning even if I get a non-lethal first shot, it should weaken the target enough to finish it next shot. The new Drek is damaged by more than 2 poppers because I can keep hitting the same armor space and (eventually) get enough damage in to break it.

I've only ever crippled the XIV-XII-IV with one of Zamo's shots, but it was a strange shot and probably a fluke of my aiming. I know the armor of a Drek is not bulletproof, as it once was, but it's sure strong, and even at 143.7 tons the Drek is probably capable of taking on several smaller ships in pitched combat, given its new ION-LVN power combo, which actually means the Drek has a decent range (4 km/s I believe is the max)

I have not either; however, my Gen. IV warships (the Lachrymeum and the Photon) have vastly lower part counts than is typical for me (475 and 565, respectively), even though they are both battery-powered ion craft with decent TWR--if they ran on nukes instead, they would be significantly more massive, but probably almost 100 fewer parts. Certainly 375 parts with full munitions is acceptable for almost anyone, and the massive reduction came at a significant increase in durability: Both are capable of defeating all 0.625m munitions, are largely immune to lighter 1.25m munitions, and can survive several blows of heavier (Tripedo-M mass range) armaments while still remaining functional.

This upgrade came after I had some thing of an epiphany regarding armoring and hull construction techniques, partially inspired by Drek hulls, AKS Tri-Fighters, and my own large-scale experimentation and intensive testing earlier this summer (i.e, the period where I spent days building ships and Panzer spent days blowing them up); I also figured out how to largely make part-clipping, even severe clipping, viable again. The technique is fairly complicated, and, for the moment, still proprietary, though it is not that difficult to figure out once you have seen a working design. Nonetheless, I am working on optimizing it further and extending its applications to better suit liquid fuel-powered vessels, which will hopefully allow us to start having real battles again (though I fear the XL3 wheel will always be undefeatable).

Which Tri-Fighter was the inspiration from? The only one i ever produced that had any form of armor was based on a very old pre 0.23 FlaKBoat i found (and then deleted accidentally loosing it forever :( ), so aside from that one variant, none of them actually had any armor at all (although the armored variant could eat stubby ibeam 650 missiles for some reason and would bounce oscar-b torps all day). That reminds me, im gonna try to use that armor layout (which back in 0.23 was amazing against most weapons (this was before some of the truly competitive ships, but hey, vs ibeams it was tough).

Anyways, im going back to messing with my FlaKBoat style since well that old hull (if i can even recall how i made it) wasnt half bad, might give it a try, nomatter what i try my current hull designs just dont seem to be getting any better. Need to start from a new direction though, as the commonplace drek styled hull just doesnt cut it anymore for me and my requirements of no part counts and low weight. That said, i dont have too high hopes as you seem to need weight and multiple layers to effectively counter ordinance, something that is hard to do when ur trying to have low part counts and low mass.

The best core layout is spread them evenly throughout your ship, some in the middle some near the surface so that the far side has the whole thickness of your ship to protect it.

Edited by Mr Tegu

Due to the fact that even the heaviest armour does very little these days, I've abandoned it completely. As a result my newer ships have a good TWR, 7-9k dV (without droptanks), and can double up as motherships.

When multiplayer goes real time armour will do even less and faster ships with more dV will have the advantage.

Really well said paragraph in general, panzer1b.

Yes, those Poppers are really a wicked sting - the only downside to them is they are high part count (42 each) and when you carry six of them, like in the drek, that's an extra 240 parts for weaponry alone. I made two smaller (50ish ton) frigates and they both carry only 2 poppers, I will have to test those more to see how well they fair against smaller armament (as poppers just obliterate them).

Poppers tend to really obliterate anything in their way, probably because of the clipping and high part count. There's not much but for Zamo and your shots that can do more damage to something than a Popper, and even then it's luck of the draw. The Popper is a pretty consistent missile, I can't recall a time it's ever failed to penetrate in combat (I recall firing one at one of Zamo's ships that didn't break it but I believe that was at like 100m and unguided).

Armor is really hard now, especially with heating, as like you said the more times you hit it the more damage it does, making it more susceptible to breaking. That's good for me because Drek Doctrine has always been fire 2-3 poppers at a target to destroy it, meaning even if I get a non-lethal first shot, it should weaken the target enough to finish it next shot. The new Drek is damaged by more than 2 poppers because I can keep hitting the same armor space and (eventually) get enough damage in to break it.

I've only ever crippled the XIV-XII-IV with one of Zamo's shots, but it was a strange shot and probably a fluke of my aiming. I know the armor of a Drek is not bulletproof, as it once was, but it's sure strong, and even at 143.7 tons the Drek is probably capable of taking on several smaller ships in pitched combat, given its new ION-LVN power combo, which actually means the Drek has a decent range (4 km/s I believe is the max)

I still use 15 part I beam torps and carry 6 of them. 90 parts alone.

What dV are you aiming for? With heavy armour about 5k is the max you can hope for. Most ppls here seem to only have 2-3k.

I'll have a look at the dropbox file. From the pics it looks like it can be modified nicely as the fuel tanks and girders are already there.

Edit: Damn too late.

Fine, I'll add a new link but as an advance warning

1. Its range is crap (unable to go to Duna is beyond any measure of crap range)

2. Its weapons are crap

3. Its durability is crap

4. Its name is complete crap

5. For the above 4 reasons, I won't contribute any further to the craft or make any further ships since it's evident that it's impossible for me to make a ship that has a good range, weapons and will survive a single damn volley (damn you Macey for even making me think this was a good idea)

Consider this my last submission unless I can be remotely convinced otherwise, I cannot even do a damn battle since my computer is a hunk of metal crap as well

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.