Naval Battle Club

astecarmyman

Well, I think I have a winner:

The HMS Squid class frigate is 60 tons, has a range of around 1400 m/s, and carries 4 Popper H / 4 I-beams. but more importantly, it's the only Non-drek ship I have to survive a direct hit from a Popper H missile from 250 meters. It lost the top half of its armor, but the Squid stayed in once piece, which is more than can be said about some other ships.....

4rpaHDy.jpg?1

I already have plenty of general use weapons, im just looking for something that can get multiple shots, and has a very small profile length wise.

You can try my updated "Wheel of Misfortune" rockets: 4 sepratrons, 2 ruggidized wheels, and an M-650 I-Beam (the short, H-like one) as a core--0.4 tons, 7 parts, and only slightly longer than the wheel itself, but fairly destructive at range.

Also possible is to arm your warship with a cannon of some sort, and utilize a "kinetic saturation" (many small projectiles simultaneously) approach to damaging armored targets.

The HMS Squid class frigate is 60 tons, has a range of around 1400 m/s, and carries 4 Popper H / 4 I-beams. but more importantly, it's the only Non-drek ship I have to survive a direct hit from a Popper H missile from 250 meters. It lost the top half of its armor, but the Squid stayed in once piece, which is more than can be said about some other ships.....

It looks quite vulnerable to frontal shots, however--I could see the fuel storage exploding quite easily; I shall test it against my own weaponry.

Also, would anyone be willing to combat-test my Gen. IV warships, the Lachrymeum Class Gunship and the Photon Class Ion Frigate? I shall post craft files soon...

Edited by Three1415

You can try my updated "Wheel of Misfortune" rockets: 4 sepratrons, 2 ruggidized wheels, and an M-650 I-Beam (the short, H-like one) as a core--0.4 tons, 7 parts, and only slightly longer than the wheel itself, but fairly destructive at range.

Also possible is to arm your warship with a cannon of some sort, and utilize a "kinetic saturation" (many small projectiles simultaneously) approach to damaging armored targets.

It looks quite vulnerable to frontal shots, however--I could see the fuel storage exploding quite easily; I shall test it against my own weaponry.

Also, would anyone be willing to combat-test my Gen. IV warships, the Lachrymeum Class Gunship and the Photon Class Ion Frigate? I shall post craft files soon...

EXPLAIN THIS THEN

I don't even understand. Sure the Popper H's fell off but it took a Popper stright amidships - a shot like that would cripple a lot of other craft. Instead the fuel was saved and it's still got its I-beams.

tDWBkPd.jpg

7B70W83.jpg

I don't even understand. Sure the Popper H's fell off but it took a Popper stright amidships - a shot like that would cripple a lot of other craft. Instead the fuel was saved and it's still got its I-beams.

Shoving the Popper downs its throat instead would have likely caused far greater damage, as that area seems extremely vulnerable to damage from shrapnel sprayed out from the initial impact.

Would you perhaps allow us run to run our own tests to demonstrate?

Tegu, the murderer isn't meant to be a combat ship is it? Because it's got about 300 m/s range, even a Drek will outrange that quite easily. Or did I get my stats wrong? Also, the poppers quickly disable it in one hit.

So there it is, armor is useless now. If we ever get any battles going it will be interesting to see what new tactics arise from this.

It can make it to Laythe by itself but yeah, range is the weakness, as for disabled in 1 hit, can i see some screenies?

It can make it to Laythe by itself but yeah, range is the weakness, as for disabled in 1 hit, can i see some screenies?

Wait, it can? My engineer said it would do 300 m/s at best. Strange. I don't have any pics but it seemed the armor structure was secure, it was the innards that i could bash out.

what is the point when i have a 7 part/~2t weapon thats guaranteed to instantly vaporize the strongest drek or anything ive ever come across for that matter?

Exactly that, why wouldn't you want to vaporise anything you come up against in one hit? No brainer if you ask me.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps not any more, it's still half filled with oxidiser... plus have you got the drop tanks on it and have you disabled all of the back up engines?

- - - Updated - - -

Here's my latest armour test, It's an update out of date now and I was mostly shooting at the fiend, I shot the murder twice 1st for comparison, 1 kill, 1 badly damaged but still armed and mobile.

http://imgur.com/a/DRbpk

edit, why won't it embed? I copied another post exactly (well, obviously not but IDK).

Javascript is disabled. View full album

yay fixed (the images are in a slightly different order than they should be, Image 5 is image 3 on imgur but not when embedded, I give up)

Edited by Mr Tegu

This is the method I go for. Almost no armour but as the dV to make any planet and return which in a battle means I can put it in any orbit I want, even if the battle is around Jool. Weaponry isn't bad as it can accept most projectiles.

I gave up using armour as I just couldn't stand the part count.

L2kxpO7.png

This is the method I go for. Almost no armour but as the dV to make any planet and return which in a battle means I can put it in any orbit I want, even if the battle is around Jool. Weaponry isn't bad as it can accept most projectiles.

I gave up using armour as I just couldn't stand the part count.

http://i.imgur.com/L2kxpO7.png

I love your shipbuilding design - it reminds me of some of Daemon's ships, but yours are lighter and far better range. What does that one get?

My farthest ranging ship is ironically my biggest, the old Drek 30 Boomer gets around 10,000 m/s D/V due to the insane amount of Ion power it carries onboard. It's also over 2 million Kredits, so the crown jewels go into making one of them.

It also carries 12 Popper H missiles. So when it does get somewhere, it'll leave a dent.

zKy58rM.jpg

Doesn't everything take a turn before it, so I can just aim an armor piercing missile at the side structural plate and blow up the PopperH's.

Have to do that in four different places. They're spread out.

Doesn't everything take a turn before it, so I can just aim an armor piercing missile at the side structural plate and blow up the PopperH's.

Thus is the weakness of large vessels.

Anyway, here are my two most recent vessels, the 45-ton Lachrymeum Class Gunship and the 91-ton Photon Class Ion Frigate, both updated in terms of firepower and durability:

Photon Class Ion Frigate Mk II

Lachrymeum Class Gunship Mk II

Any results from combat testing would be welcome.

For reaction cannons, I've found that instead of using one huge engine to provide to kick, a bunch of smaller radial engines will do even better, are lighter and consume very little fuel. I'm still testing but I have been able to consistently get 500m/s velocity and only use 5-10 fuel per shot. More updates as development continues.

maybe, but the only issue I've found with mine is it uses decouplers as ammunition, so like it was said earlier, it doesn't do that much damage, plus you would need a perfect shot through the decouplers for a kill, anything else would just subtract some ammunition. I'll try to get pictures and exact details later.

I love your shipbuilding design - it reminds me of some of Daemon's ships, but yours are lighter and far better range. What does that one get?

My farthest ranging ship is ironically my biggest, the old Drek 30 Boomer gets around 10,000 m/s D/V due to the insane amount of Ion power it carries onboard. It's also over 2 million Kredits, so the crown jewels go into making one of them.

It also carries 12 Popper H missiles. So when it does get somewhere, it'll leave a dent.

http://i.imgur.com/zKy58rM.jpg

Dont know how you manage to bear the terrible TWR, part count lag, and general sluggishness of such ships. That said, ive completely given up on anything above 100t as it is pointless to have ships that large, as even my new FlaKShip will at a minimum disable it by shooting off all its ordinance with KDrone-Ms (pocket ibeam+probe+RTG+2 RCS blocks+decoupler). These thinsg are so accurate that they can reliably target a very specific section, even fly up the nose to take out a stack of weapons, something very few weapons ive seen capable of doing reliably. And although it carries missiles in multiple spots, i have what, 40 of the missiles on my anti-fighter corvette (if i can bear loading 280 parts in weapons atop a 160 part base hull), i could probably chop it in two firing all of that at the same area.

Thus is the weakness of large vessels.

Anyway, here are my two most recent vessels, the 45-ton Lachrymeum Class Gunship and the 91-ton Photon Class Ion Frigate, both updated in terms of firepower and durability:

Photon Class Ion Frigate Mk II

Lachrymeum Class Gunship Mk II

Any results from combat testing would be welcome.

They are pretty good, but they seem to have issues with high enough mass phased rounds (like every single ship ever made). That said, they are well armored, but sadly not part efficient, and like many other ships, aint gonna see many battles until U5. very very resilient to weaker weapons, and even stufflike my lighter Tripedo-S which seems to shatter when hitting very dense armor like this style (S/H still works wonders against anything including these though). Finally, the ships get instantly obliterated when a corvette class vessel is rammed into them at 2km/s (as does everything else including the corvette that collides at 2km/s), although i needed to reload alot of saves as at that speed its tough to actually HIT something, and you phase thru entire ships alot of the time at such velocities.

That reminds me, gotta finish my FK-141 ramming fighter. It has no weapons, but its frontal protection is so insane it can cut anything but the heaviest ships in two at ~200m/s impact with usually minor if any damage to itself. Its heavily inspired by something i saw in a movie at friend's house, forget the name, this assymetric craft that basically attacked stuff by ramming it, buildings, fighters, whatnot and if i remember correctly flew through a building without suffering any real damage. Still dont remember what that movie was though, just remember this one ship that rammed stuff and could cloak.

For reaction cannons, I've found that instead of using one huge engine to provide to kick, a bunch of smaller radial engines will do even better, are lighter and consume very little fuel. I'm still testing but I have been able to consistently get 500m/s velocity and only use 5-10 fuel per shot. More updates as development continues.

Ive found these things to be all but useless from a practicality perspective. Ive tried them myself (railguns, mass accelerators, whatever you want to call them), and sofar they are neither lower in part count or better in lethality then a very generic long ibeam+2 sepatrons unless you are using excessive engines liek clipping 10 KR-2Ls inside themselves, which will make it lethal at the cost of loosing any practicality. A nice gimmick to play around with, but ive yet to get anything out of them in a competitive environment. That said, i do have a frigate in duna orbit (current AKS flagship) that is equipped with a skipper cannon that can do something with luck, although its just not very practical and uses alot of fuel (well the ship its on is a LFO engine powered anyways so i just added the 2 extra skippers to each side as it isnt that much weight for a ~100t ship already, and its a nice utility that ive used many times to launch fighters far away).

Then again, for competitive games, all it takes is a single well placed shot to ruin teh weapon, fire at the area the ammo is stored and either ammo gets shot apart, engines get shot apart, or most likely the whole ship gets cut in 30 pieces.

It's no moon.

Obviously, its not a sphere, s trait shared by almost every ship lol.

Edited by panzer1b

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.