Naval Battle Club

astecarmyman

I'm addicted to this hull layout...

OegkcXi.png

made myself a singleship based off of the NX-series, now called the NX-4 Valkyrie.

It's got internal room for up to 4 0.625 meter munitions, but I plan to make add-on packs for the side docking ports to give more range and/or firepower.

And yes, this is ion-powered.

I'm addicted to this hull layout...

http://i.imgur.com/OegkcXi.png

made myself a singleship based off of the NX-series, now called the NX-4 Valkyrie.

It's got internal room for up to 4 0.625 meter munitions, but I plan to make add-on packs for the side docking ports to give more range and/or firepower.

And yes, this is ion-powered.

And i seem to have addictions to 3 things, my SK-CRV-I style hull (i have so many versions of that now, im already working on a g7 (and the g3 is where it started):

49Iw7aG.png

My new SK-FRG-I style hull (the wedge which is heavily inspired by your NX-1/2):

XUuIuLf.jpg

And this shape for missiles (almost avery one of my smallish 0.6m weapons that isnt a dumbfire ibeam+SRBs looks kinda like this with varying warheads and engine configurations:

UaqmOCa.jpg

I was asked to make a lighter ship. Byproduct:

http://i.imgur.com/vmvTogQ.png

The Gungnir is a missile destroyer currently under construction at the Azod Shipyard

Looks interesting... I'm assuming that pic is of it in early vacuum-testing? Also, the clipping on the joint about halfway down the side of the hull might make it easy to split in two there.

Looks interesting... I'm assuming that pic is of it in early vacuum-testing? Also, the clipping on the joint about halfway down the side of the hull might make it easy to split in two there.

One more tip, replace those girders with the longer ibeams. Ibeams are much harder to destroy (smaller hitbox), and they give you more internal space to work with (and making you less reliant on part clipping that is generally a bad idea for any ship if its excessive).

that and, i like those nacelles (are u putting guns or engines there?), while nacelles in general arent quite my building style (too many parts to make them look good and work properly), ive always had something for ships with nacelle mounted systems (look cool, and actually seem to be harder to destroy if build correctly).

Gah, I've had no time to update anything, and I fear I shall soon fall far behind. Curse you, schoolwork!

Anyway, I have a quite nice design worked out mentally; I shall try to complete it with expedience, and hopefully get back into the fray.

Also, the wedge-ships cometh!

My latest ship, almost ready to commence full scale production, the 4th generation SK-FRG-I frigate class warship:

udY6wqv.png

pjWxsGH.png

mDcESHu.png

It looks way cooler then the older but still great SK-CRV-I and SK-CRV-III lines, and it has slightly less firepower and somewhat better armor (ive yet to actually 1 shot obliterate the craft fully, the most ive managed to do with a single torpedo is take out all the engines through a very lucky shot and with some luck its possible to shoot off an entire side or wipe out the weapons bay).

The new hull is actually based on a near identical copy of the experimental SK-CRV-IIg2 (which failed my expectations), but with the two sides angled in to give it a wedge like shape and the rear shortened to make it less long. It has better armor, is lighter (compared to the SK-CRV-IIg2) and has an extra engine giving it great TWR, good maneuverability, and it also has full RCS, docking abilities, and 2 claws (which are moreso intended for appearance, but do actually work as claws too).

Also, i just made a shocking discovery after extensive testing (of something ive been suspicious of for a while now). Adding wings makes you WAY WAY WAY MORE VULNURABLE! I am serious, i had placed wings on one of my ships before, and it had so-so armor. Took those wings off, and the bloody ship refuses to die!

Although we all know how pretty wings are, for anything competitive i strongly encourate removing them entirely (better resilience from my experiences (and less parts). And a tip for those that insist on using them, be ABSOLUTELY sure there is a cubic strut between the wings and whatever part they are attached to (assuming its an actual hull segment and not something disposeable), and NEVER strut wings to the hull or they seem to carry shockwaves through those struts into actual stuff you want to keep alive!

Perhaps im just using wings incorrectly, but for 4 of my ships, ive found removing the (decorative) wings resulted in an exponential increase in armor protection!

(i actually figured this out when i was making a budget version of my new wedge ship with no wings. Aside from still loosing internal bits like engines ect, its near IMMUNE to anything that isnt either excessively heavy (any missile above 3-4 tons makes armor irrelevant anyway), or has tires (which are guaranteed to destroy anything). Overall im annoyed that making stuff pretty kills survivability, but hey, might as well use what ive learned to make me ships better (this is also one reason dreks are so powerful, place wings on a drek's hull, and armor protections drops so much!).

Edited by panzer1b

Hey, panzer, I see that little hole in the hull of your new ship, and it gave me an idea for you to use, why don't you use that space for a larger missile? 1.25m maybe? Or you could use it as room for an escape pod, or even an opening into a small interior behind the guns, with an Eva seat n' all.

Thats my input, I get ideas from tiny little things, so use that hole for something cool!

Hey, panzer, I see that little hole in the hull of your new ship, and it gave me an idea for you to use, why don't you use that space for a larger missile? 1.25m maybe? Or you could use it as room for an escape pod, or even an opening into a small interior behind the guns, with an Eva seat n' all.

Thats my input, I get ideas from tiny little things, so use that hole for something cool!

I have a command ship version of it, and 1.25m warheads are optional on all my ships (it can have either the usual ~20 or so 0.6 hardpoints or 3 1.25m ones that can have stacked weapons in them). As for escape-pods, i generally dont use them since well, odds are if the ship is heavily damaged the cockpit gets either separated or destroyed, making such pods redundant when standard (non-command versions) are usually crewed by a single meat-bag. Ive always liked mostly droid ships, but i do add the option for that meat-bag pilot since the IVA targeting is great and lets me stop relying on the stupid autoaim (which is not very fun or immersive) when using unguided weapons at ranges in excess of 1km (with manual IVA view i can reliably hit something at 1-1.5km with a railgun). While navball targeting is possible, its very hard to line that up perfect (only mod that lets you do it reliably is navhud (but that kinda ruins immersion). Another reason i really like the MK1 cockpit, its perfect, centered view, and zoom that lets you shoot a rail right in a weakspot.

Anyways, the whole large bay that can be replaced based on mission was the whole idea from the start with the ship design, make it multi-role with modular builds (well not modular as in decoupler constructed ship but you can mix and match the entire front hull to the mission). There is currently a anti-fighter version (standard config, 7 forward facing railguns and room for 16 drones in the drone bay behind that), anti-capital ship version (has 1.25m weapons instead of drones, although there is still 4 drones in the rear actually and shifted some fuel tanks to allow fitting 4 1.25m hardpoints inside the drone bay along the usual forward facing 1.25m hardpoint), a command version (drone bay replaced with command seats and some shifted armor to give the meat-bags a view from inside), and a carrier version (extra fuel and fighter hangar where the drones usually are). While its still being redone its a ship that im defenetely happy with when it comes to part count, maneuverability, range, and armor. Its firepower could use a improvement (i kinda like 0.6m weapons these days since its less fun to 1 shot everything with updated Tripedo-Ms that will obliterate anything in front of them with good reliability). Really starting to use alot of experimental 0.6m weapons such as the TriBeams which are a very old warhead that i kinda gave up on back when, redesigned them and they work better, harder to use as the warhead is small and requires precision, but 2 tons of ibeam propelled by 1 tons of engines and fuel is gonna ruin your day if i aim it at something important. 0.6m weapons dont split ships into a million pieces as reliably (still happens here and there), but they sure can destroy an entire engine cluster nicely especially if you use the shrapnel versions.

Edited by panzer1b

BNX94jV.jpg

5500dV after attaining LKO!

Its a little heavy at 29 tons on the runway, and it kinda dies to the 1st heavy hit or ramming attack, but THAT dV is insane for a bloody FIGHTER. The new HK-201/S version comes with the usual 2 internal KDrone-Ms, capable of vaporizing anything that isnt armored with 80m/s parts, and unlike older models, this one comes with 2 external missile hardpoints allowing it to carry up to 4 missiles (at a cost to dV, loosing stealth/sleek appearance, and the extra 2 must be mounted in space since well its kinda tough to get it into LKO without 2 massive drag sources).

This thing is obviously ill suited for actual combat here, since its just completely unpractical, but i refuse to not relive the glory days of having fighters that could make laythe roundtrips, land on every bloody planet in the game, and take off from any one but tylo and eve (although tylo takeoff was doable if you refuel on ground), all without any staging whatsoever! Long live single stage to laythe and beyond!

Well, sofar my ships are growing in numbers, performance, and still staying low on parts/mass, but ive come across a rather big hurdle i could use some help with.

How the heck do i armor engines so that they arent near guaranteed to be vaporized by every bloody missile that hits the rear of a ship? My newest hulls are very tough, and rarely do they get chunks blown off like older models (and ive yet to cut my latest ships in half with a single shot), but anything even a ibeam that hits the rear is near guaranteed to knock out at least 1-2 engines (and it has 3, having all of them destroyed by 1 shot is rare, but its not like we have many ships with less then 1 ammo loaded).

Any tips would be appreciated. Is there some way to make a strong bulkhead or something thatll minimize the odds of multiple engines being destroyed with a single shot?

Ohh, and in case there is any questions about it, im trying to armor NTRs, not ions or anythging that is small. Those engines give you ISP, but they are so large that its hard to actually enclose them fully and hide them.

So I just made another ship....

cZy9rAF.png

The Vraska class Frigate, contrary to its name is actually SMALLER than the Griselbrand II but still packs a mean, mean punch in the form of 10 light rockets and 2 SRB rockets, if the cupola cockpit gets blown off it can regress to a probecore on the back to keep in the fight; this thing is designed to fight close range as opposed to the Griselbrand II's style of firing moon-to-moon

Speaking of the Griselbrand II, I remodelled it AGAIN with removing some unnecessary girders to add more fuel tanks to increase range

6BQlfwe.png?1

download link thingies

Vraska

Griselbrand II

http://i.imgur.com/cZy9rAF.png

The Vraska class Frigate

Kinda looks like Slave-1 crossed with a battle mech (minus the legs). Ill give you the fact its one of the most unorthodox capital ships ive seen in a while aside from the only other ships from way way back that didnt look like capitals were (i forgot who made em) those mass effect style reaper things made of structural fuselages and tail connectors as armor.

Hey, anyone know how the new aerodynamics work? I used to be able to get a 2,000 ton (with launcher) dreadnought into orbit before the update, but now I can't even clear the atmosphere. Once I get settled in my dorm I'll post the ship I'm having issues with here, for reference (and so one of you can blow it up). Thanks.

Edited by killer2447
Wanted to add something (might do it a couple of times)

WOW....

Hyperedit is bugged. Apparently the NaN errors are common enough so that if you park behind what ur shooting (as in retrograde of it), this happens after you hit it with a missile and knock something off.

ceupljl.png

Poor ship, good think i dont use Hedit in my actual campaign saves.....

Ohh, and the ship that im controlling in this pic was shooting at a target, NOT being shot at, apparently it miraculously survived a impact at 2km/s! AKSTechnologies patented armor protection FTW!

Hey, anyone know how the new aerodynamics work? I used to be able to get a 2,000 ton (with launcher) dreadnought into orbit before the update, but now I can't even clear the atmosphere. Once I get settled in my dorm I'll post the ship I'm having issues with here, for reference (and so one of you can blow it up). Thanks.

If a warship's not exceedingly large, stick it in a fairing with booster(s) underneath, and then radial-attach to the sides OUTSIDE the fairing. As for VERY large ships, the method for launching them and getting them into a decent orbit varies, although many use hyperedit to place their ships in LKO, to save on time, effort, and sanity spent trying to make launchers for vacuum-only ships.

- - - Updated - - -

the hull twists mid flight, and only one half of it.

Sounds like some low internal/external strutting, and/or a gyro kraken. Try loading the ship in a new save. If it still twists, it's likely the former.

If no attempted fix can make it stop, then you've likely got some sort of craft or save file corruption involved that's spawning gyro-kraken type effects in the game.

- - - Updated - - -

http://i.imgur.com/cZy9rAF.png

The Vraska class Frigate, contrary to its name is actually SMALLER than the Griselbrand II but still packs a mean, mean punch in the form of 10 light rockets and 2 SRB rockets, if the cupola cockpit gets blown off it can regress to a probecore on the back to keep in the fight; this thing is designed to fight close range as opposed to the Griselbrand II's style of firing moon-to-moon

Speaking of the Griselbrand II, I remodelled it AGAIN with removing some unnecessary girders to add more fuel tanks to increase range

http://i.imgur.com/6BQlfwe.png?1

The Vraska looks... like a glass cannon. Not to say I don't like it (it's a unique concept), but a single well-placed heavy i-beam round would likely snipe off the main engine in the back, and if you get smacked by a heavier round and survive, there'd be a massive vertical mass imbalance that would make maneuvering a pain in the rear.

The Griselbrand II looks alright; the side cargo bays are a nice aesthetic addition for concealing missiles, but the exposed engines, fuel tanks, and the large missile/torpedo tube(s) in the bow all make it susceptible to being 1-shotted with simple ammuntion types. I'd recommend trying out guided munitions and making a ship with sideways or vertically-mounted missile/torpedo tubes, and loading them with guided rounds, making you much less vulnerable to traditional style attack runs and able to lose less ammo from a strong hit. As a final tip, try cutting down on the small missiles, as they will inflate part count tremendously with little punch for their size.

The Vraska looks... like a glass cannon. Not to say I don't like it (it's a unique concept), but a single well-placed heavy i-beam round would likely snipe off the main engine in the back, and if you get smacked by a heavier round and survive, there'd be a massive vertical mass imbalance that would make maneuvering a pain in the rear.

The Griselbrand II looks alright; the side cargo bays are a nice aesthetic addition for concealing missiles, but the exposed engines, fuel tanks, and the large missile/torpedo tube(s) in the bow all make it susceptible to being 1-shotted with simple ammuntion types. I'd recommend trying out guided munitions and making a ship with sideways or vertically-mounted missile/torpedo tubes, and loading them with guided rounds, making you much less vulnerable to traditional style attack runs and able to lose less ammo from a strong hit. As a final tip, try cutting down on the small missiles, as they will inflate part count tremendously with little punch for their size.

The pictures are actually somewhat misleading; the Vraska actually has 4 engines that run through the spine and do have some protection (though the exposed hardpoints are indeed a concern

HdlNKE8.png

And the "wings" of the Griselbrand II are supposed to provide some side protection (and cool aesthetic) and all of its weapons are guided using vernier RCS as engines. The exposed fuel tanks are actually temporary things that detach upon either being attacked or if they run out, it has some internal fuel tanks in the fuselage providing a measly 1600 fuel units

mGYT1Ol.png

If a warship's not exceedingly large, stick it in a fairing with booster(s) underneath, and then radial-attach to the sides OUTSIDE the fairing. As for VERY large ships, the method for launching them and getting them into a decent orbit varies, although many use hyperedit to place their ships in LKO, to save on time, effort, and sanity spent trying to make launchers for vacuum-only ships.

Yeah, I don't think it'll fit in a fairing, I might be wrong. I'll see if it fits once I get my PC to my dorm. My method had been radially attaching orange fuel tanks with mainsails beneath, it was very finicky, but I was able to get it to orbit. I might just see about using the even larger engines (and actually putting RCS on the thing) and see if that works.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.